Thirteen

Red
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Everyone has their own believes and superstitions. My college campus had a statue of a man, the founder of our college and students had believes that rubbing his nose would bring good luck. My college roommate was one of them. Well, she should have chose studying than believing it because she flunked out in our 2nd year. But real life isn’t as easy as studying. You go out of college thinking you’re prepared for your job but actually you’re not even a step closer.

“Aigoo. What a bad day!” Dara yelled infuriately as she helplessly slump her head on the locker in the staff’s room.

“I know.” Minzy replied throwing the small white hand towel into her locker.

“Four morning surgeries and all four ended up with death.” Bom heaved a heavy sigh, staring blankly at me who stayed silent in front of her.

“The nurses said this is one of those jinxed day. They said that by the end of the day, there will be seven OR deaths.” Dara added with her wide eyes looking at us, trying to scare us.

“Unnie, you don’t seriously believe that do you?” Chaerin asked skeptically laughing at Dara’s seriousness.

“Hana, your pager is beeping.” Bommie said waving her hands in front of my face trying to catch my attention. I was snapped back to reality and I straight away checked my pager. I looked at the room number where the emergency was. I could feel my heart dropped to the ground when I realized whose room it was.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Doctor, the LVAD patient is having difficulty breathing.” A short petite young lady in pink briefed Hana hesitantly as she stepped through the doors of the cardio ward. It was impossible for an LVAD patient to have difficulty breathing, not after the device was properly installed. Worry got to her. She paced her way as fast as she could towards her patient only to be surpassed by Seungri. He was already checking all the monitors and pressing his stethoscope on Seunghyun’s chest. Seunghyun looked pale and he was gasping for air in such a struggle that just looking at him pains. His breaths were short and sounded obviously restricted. Hana ran up to Seungri’s side ready to assist him.

“I did an Echo and there are abnormalities in the right ventricle’s activities. Page Dr Han, paili! This could be pulmonary embolism.” Seungri instructed to one of the nurses which she obliged unquestioningly. Another nurse came bursting through the doors with a sheet of paper and she swiftly handed it to Hana. She read through the paper and nodded at Seungri.

“Definitely a pulmonary embolism. His D-dimer test is high. He needs surgery.”

A few seconds later the head of the cardio department was on his feet, running towards the site of the emergency. He skimmed through all the lab results and Seunghyun’s chart. He looked at both the interns that were present in the room with him.

“Dr Lee, you prep the patient for surgery. Get an MRI. Find exactly where the clot is. Dr Im, you head over to the OR coordinator for a room.” the chief instructed in hurry and his voice booming across the room.

“What about an anesthetist?” Hana asked.

“No, we need the patient awake during the procedure.”

Hana immediately rushed out of the room towards the operating theaters. While Seungri along with one of the nurses pushed Seunghyun who was on the bed fighting for his life.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hana was running back towards Seungri and Dr Han who were in deep discussion in front of Seunghyun’s room. Their chief was listening intently at what Seungri had to say.

“I got you a room sunsengnim.”

“Change of plans Dr Im, I might need an anesthetist after all. It seems like the clot in his lungs might be too big for a captor. Tell them it’s an open chest surgery. Stat.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Seungri stood over the wash basin, as he cleansed every inch of his fingers up to his elbows. He was already in his op

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter