Sixteen

Red
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Bom paced the deserted corridor with her phone stuck to her ears. It was nerve wrecking waiting for the phone to pick up. Those first few rings felt like a whole lifetime. Her friends were screaming and shouting as they argued nonstop in Seunghyun’s room. She could clearly hear Chaerin’s mad voice telling Hana what a stupid decision she made and that she might get kicked out of the internship program while Hana’s voice rise defending herself. Dara and Minzy’s voice were shouting above the two of them trying to resolve the dispute.  Why wasn’t he picking up? After a few rings, finally her call was answered.

“Yeoboseo?”

“Seungri! Finally!” 

“Bom noona?”

“Dr Han got in an accident.”

“What?” Seungri asked in panic.

“We have to run these test on our own.”

“The board gave us an hour and in a couple of minutes our time is up. I’m telling you, this guy is hardcore, I don’t know how long is he willing to wait.”

“Please, try to stall her.”

“I’m not getting involved in this noona. I don’t care if that bastard psychopath gets the heart or not. It’s none of my concern.”

“Seungri, do this. Please. For Hana.”

She could hear Seungri heave a heavy sigh from across the line. He stayed quiet for a few seconds before he agreed reluctantly.

“I’m not guaranteeing anything.” He said as he hung up on Bom.

Bom smiled happily and ran back into the room. Inside Dara was fiddling the Echo onto Seunghyun as Hana went on pumping the heart pump and observing her. Chaerin and Minzy were simply standing there with their eyes fixed on the monitor.

“How’s his heart looking?” Bom asked, breaking the silence that was enveloping everyone.

“Not so good. The left ventricle is shutting. It’s barely pushing blood out.” Dara responded still not taking her eyes off the monitor. Once again they all stayed mimed, allowing the beeping of the monitors to break the stillness in the confinements of the small room.

“I’m sorry. All of you.” Hana timidly uttered, shattering the peace. Bom, Minzy and Dara all smiled caringly at her where as Chaerin turned away to look at the window. The blizzard outside was blinding the city of Seoul from sight. The trees rustled in the howling wind. Chaerin continued to observe the outside world in deep thought.

“Chaerin can you just please understand. I love him.” Hana pleaded at her.

“You barely know him. You don’t see him beyond the four walls of this hospital unnie. So how can you know you love him?” she said softly trying to reason with common sense.

“I know him. I may not live with him but I know him and there’s possibility here. Possibility, that he can live a long life if he gets the heart.”

“And you have to let go of everything you’ve accomplished so far? Everything you’ve worked so hard for? I love you unnie. I sincerely care for you. But this is just downright crazy and insane!”

Seunghyun suddenly coughed disrupting their conversation. He smiled under the oxygen mask. His droopy eyes were looking straight at Hana.

“And that crazy, insane person is going to marry me.” He smiled before his eyes shut in exhaustion. All the girls gawked in surprised by his sudden proposal. Four pairs of eyes looked at Hana, all were ready to pop out of their sockets. They were awestruck.

“What? What did you say? Seunghyun wake up!” Hana shouted at him yet he didn’t respond and stayed still as if asleep.

“He said marry me right?” Hana asked for conformation at the four girls. 

They were suddenly brought back to reality by the alarming beep of the EKG that went on without stop.

“He flatlined!” Minzy shouted in shock. Dara immediately pressed her stethoscope to his chest to listen to Seunghyun’s heartbeat.

“No, no, no. There’s movement in his heart.”

“Shock him.” Chaerin suggested. At the command Bom hastily ran up to the defibrillator at the corner of the room. She pushed the contraption closer to the bed.

“Ventilate him.”

“Got it!” Minzy answered. 

“Charge it to 200.” Dara said full of authority.

Chaerin took the plates into her hands, all set.

“Clear.”

Everyone took a step back from Seunghyun’s limb body except for Chaerin who pressed the plates onto his broad milky chest. His body jumped with every electric shock that passed through his whole body in its attempts to restart his heart.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dr Yang’s bulky figure towered above Seungri as he stared intimidating the intern. Both his hands were crossed in front of his chest. His nostrils were flared as he looked on at Seungri. 

“Is Dr Han alive?” 

Seungri simply nodded and refused to elaborate more, scared to infuriate the doctor.

“Well shame. He would have probably made a good donor himself.” Dr Yang added. He paced his footsteps towards the huge double doors leading into the operating theater where his donor lay on the metal table in the middle of the room. The motionless body was surrounded by a herd of uniformed medical team waiting to proceed with the procedure. Seungri’s mouth hung open in shock by the ruthlessness of Dr Yang. He sprinted to follow him in.

“Okay people. Let’s get our organ and get out of here.” Dr Yang instructed to his medical team.

“The heart is not yours yet! Yeoung-do is still waiting for test results!” 

The tall doctor looked down at Seungri with the I-couldn’t-care-less kind of smirk with both his hands resting on his hips.

“Well, I’m not.” He said and he turned away from Seungri.

“10 blade.” He instructed from his intern who obediently handed him a scalpel. Without hesitation, he mercilessly sliced into the donor, cutting him open.

“Hey! You can’t do that!” Seungri shouted at him.

“I just did.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

BOM’S POV

Seunghyun’s condition improved after we managed to jumpstart his heart yet his vitals were jumping up and down the chart in an unpredictable manner. To make matters worse, none of us and I mean all 5 of us were clueless of what we were actually doing. His pulse was skyrocketing from flat line to the brink of a bursting heart. His heartbeat was escalating.

“What do we do now? What do we do now?” I shouted in panic at the four girls with me in the room.

“What about debutimine drip?” Dara suggested.

“I don’t know, none of us know.” Minzy wept helplessly.

“What about serotide?” Chaerin suggested.

“We need that medicine!” Hana yelled out of the blue while she rummage through the medicine cart at the corner of the room.

“What medicine?” I asked.

“Guys, oppa’s heart is speeding up again.” Chaerin announced and all our attention diverted back to Seunghyun who was still gasping for air.

“Is it the one that stops the heart?” Dara inquired towards Hana. She then took out a pocket sized notebook and flicked through hurriedly.

“I’ll know it when I see it.” Hana answered.

Seunghyun pulled on Minzy’s hand that was holding his oxygen mask over his nose and mouth.

“No, no heart stops.” Seunghyun injected between his gasps amongst the chaos.

“Adenosine!” Dara chirped happily as she pushed her notebook back into her pocket.

“It only stops the heart for 6 seconds.” I assured Seunghyun who was starting to panic restlessly.

“Come on, oppa cannot take this any longer.” Minzy urged hurriedly at all her unnie.

“Found it!” Hana declared. Chaerin took the syringe from Hana, tapping it a couple of times ready to give the injection. I went towards Chaerin, ready to assist her in anyway.

“Lift his arm. The nurses always lift the arm when they inject adenosine. It makes the medicine travel faster to the heart.” Chaerin ordered hastily. I immediately took Seunghyun’s right arm and lifted it for Chaerin to start injecting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SEUNGHYUN’S POV

Bommie lifted my arms while Chaerin inserted the medicine into the tube that connected into my arms. Hana held onto my hands so tightly that I was scared she might actually break my bones. I could feel myself losing control of my limbs due to the lack of blood pumping through my system. The pain in my chest was unbearable and nothing like I have ever experienced. The agonizing throbbing in my torso was really killing me and I was sure tears didn’t stop streaming down my cheeks.

“Seunghyun, you’re going to feel…urm…” Hana’s voice was being suppressed by the pain I was in.

There, the hot searing pain from the medicine was running through my body. Why was medicine hurting as much as what it was trying to cure? I really couldn’t comprehend the logic.

“Hana!” I screamed for my lover who held onto my cold hands helplessly.

“No, no it’s okay. That’s just how it feels.” 

Her soothing voice assured me. I could feel her small warm palms wiping the tears that kept running down my face. 

“Hana I want to die.” I screamed in between my cries and moans.

“You’re not going to die, I promise. It’s just the meds.” Once again her hands caressed my face caringly. She then ran her delicate fingers through my hair. My eyes were fixed on her. Hana’s beautiful face is so innocent and pure. The face I think of every morning I wake up and every night before I sleep. The excruciating pain of dying was overwhelming me but I had to hang on because Hana was there. I had to hang on for her. But how long can my body withstand the pain because I could feel my eyes slowly became heavier by the second. Everything around me was becoming a blurry mess. My hearing was buzzing and I couldn’t hear anything from my surrounding. Open your eyes Choi Seunghyun the little voice in my head kept screaming at me over and over again like a broken tape player. I fought through, trying my best to open them and suddenly my whole sys

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter