Someday, One Day

A Promise of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye can’t sleep. She tossed and turn in her small bed but  sleep is far from her mind. She looked at her watch, it’s still too early to go out. She took her mom’s diary and began to read it again, until she drifted back to sleep.

She must have overslept. It was already 10am when she woke up. She hurriedly went to the bathroom to have a quick shower. She needs to go back to the hospital. She casually dressed in jeans and just shirt and just put her jacket.

As soon as she closed the door behind her and locked it, she looked up in the sky. It was indeed a fine weather. Hoping that today will be a much better day than yesterday.

She hailed a taxi and asked the driver to bring her to her mother’s columbarium. She felt lighter today. As soon as she arrived, she noticed fresh flowers. She looked around her. It must have been a friend of her mom.

She sat on the floor and opened her mom’s diary. “Omma, I am sorry for judging you. I know a part of the story but I need Appa’s  side as well. But thank you Omma, thank you for loving me and thank you for the unsent letters. I love you Omma” and then she looked at her watch and stand up. “Omma, I have to go. I will visit Appa. Hopefully he’s much better already. I’ll visit you soon”she said.

On her way to the hospital, she went to a local cafe and brought food for her and for her nanny. When she arrived at the hospital, her dad was alone but sleeping.  She sat next to him and took his hand. “Appa, I’m back. Just be strong for me. We have so much to talk about” and then there was a soft knock on the door. It was the hospital staff.

“Good Morning! Are you a family member?” she asked

“Yes, I am his daughter” Shin Hye said.

“I have the running bill now, you need to have at least down payment already. Since it’s almost close to 25M won.” The staff said.

She looked at the bill. And uttered a deep sigh.” Can I just pay even quarter of the bill?” she asked.

“Sure, just go to the cashier and have this presented” she said and left Shin Hye.

She looked at her passbook. Her savings is no way near their bill.

We went to the nearest ATM machine and withdraw the money she needs and went to the cashier.

She needs to work. There is no way they can live with the money left in her wallet.

When she went back to the room, her father was awake and smiled at her.

“Appa, it’s nice to see you smiling at me” she said and then added “ How are you? Do you feel better?

“Shin hye, I feel  I am going any time soon. I wanted too. I don’t want to burden you anymore” he said in a weak voice and coughs in between

“Appa, don’t talk” she pleaded

“No Shin Hye, its now or never. I was not a good husband to your mother.. Probably the reason... why  we drifted apart. There were times when I hurt  her, physically and emotionally. I know she didn’t love me but I know she tried her best. I myself didn’t love her as much as a normal couple will do” and then he paused, trying to catch his breath and continued  “ I had mistresses , drinking problem and stuff. I guess I am paying the price now” said her father.

“When she said she will leave me, for the first time in my life I was afraid. Afraid to be left alone. Afraid that she will be happy now that she’s going to leave me. I am a selfish guy. I dragged her ..suffering same misery as I would feel. I took you away from her because I know it’s the only way to make her suffer. You are her life. And I am sorry. All these years, I kept you hidden from her. When she died, I chose not to tell you. Until I die, I will feel sorry that I deprive you the mother you longed for” said her dad.

She wiped her eyes. 10 years... 10 long years... but it’s too late to be angry now. Right now, her father , too weak in front of her, how can she bear grudges. After all, he was a good father. He’s not  perfect  but he loved her.

“Appa, everything happened for a reason. I became independent because of what happened. I love you and nothing can change that”  she said.

“You’re really a good daughter. So much like your mother. I love you, Shin Hye and I am sorry” said her father.

“Appa, thank you for telling me the truth. Get some sleep. I need to go out  for a while” said Shin hye.

She bumped into her nanny. “Ahjumma, I have to go for a while. I’ll come back” said Shin hye.

She went back to their house and took the jewelleries her mom gave her before and some which she bought in the US .

She tried calling her high school friend. Praying that she still recognizes her. “ Can I speak with Se Mi. This is Park Shin Hye” and then she person from the other line said “ Park Shin Hye? This is Im Se Mi. Where on earth have you been. How are you. Why didn’t you contact me. You just disappeared” she demanded.

“Can we meet?” Shin Hye said.

And then they decided to meet in a cafe. As soon as Se Mi arrived, she hugged Shin Hye. “What happened to you?You just disappeared” and then she told Se Mi what happened. Se Mi is now working in a hotel as Marketing Assistant.

“Se Mi,I need your help. I need money. My father, he is sick. We owe the hospital almost 25M won and I just payed around 10M won from my savings. I don’t have money anymore. I have these though” said Shin Hye and showed the jewelleries to Se Mi.

“I’ll lend you the money. No need to give me these. We’re friends remember”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter