Battlefield

A Promise of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shin Hye said her farewells to her relatives. They want to bring her to the airport but she declined. “I’ve troubled you too much. Thank you for taking me in your house” said Shin Hye

“You are always welcome my dear. If you decided to come back, you are always welcome to stay with us” said her aunt.

She was in the taxi already. She was tempted to call Minho for the last time but decided not to.

Again, she’s in Incheon Airport. 10 years ago, she left Seoul with her father , and now she’s leaving again. Not knowing what to expect in LA.

She checked in her luggage and signed some documents.

After that, she started to walk towards the airport lounge to wait for her flight to be called. She went inside the rest room first and started to get her ticket and passport when she bumped into a man. Her pouch fell and started to gather her things that fell on the floor. The man helped her and when she looked up, it was Minho.

He helped her on her feet. Both of them were  staring intently at each other.

“How... why are ... “ she can find the right words to say.

“I’m a fool. For treating you like that. Please forgive me. Don’t leave me” said Minho

“ I can’t.. I have to.. I need to” said Shin Hye

“Not because I can’t forgive you but because I need to go away. Everything happened so fast and I don’t think I am ready yet. I need to forgive myself before I can forgive you. Love is not about being in love... the trills, the fun stuff ..  It takes some pain, respect and most of all trust. You can’t love me if you can’t trust me” said Shin Hye.

And then she heard her flight being called.

“Just let me go. This is the best way “said Shin Hye.

Minho cupped her face  “Do you still love me? After all the things I done to you?” he asked.

She nodded and said “ But it doesn’t erase the fact that I am still hurting deep inside. If you really love me and you want my forgiveness, let me go” she said.

“I can’t let you” and then he kissed her lips.

“Oppa, don’t be selfish. This is not what I need. What we need. We need to let each other go so both of us could grow” Minho stared at her tear stricken face.

“Will it make you happy?”he asked.

“No, but this might heal everything. I need to go” and then she turned her back on him and Minho once again grabbed her and embrace her.

“I am letting you go, not because I want to. This is the price I am willing to pay for you to come back to me. Not today, but when you are ready. Please promise me there will be no one else” said Minho.

And then Shin Hye stepped back. “This is going nowhere. I can’t make any promises. I forbid you to make anymore promises we don’t even intend to keep. No more promises Oppa” and then she freed herself from his embrace and also run towards the bay where her flight was  being called.

She looked back and Minho was still standing there.

Minho watched as she drift away from him. He deserved all the pain he is suffering right now. He took something from his pocket. Then tore it apart.  He has a ticket going to LA as well. But decided not to go with her anymore. She needs time, she needs to be alone and as painful as it is, he is letting her go.

A year has passed. Minho has been consistent in sending email to Shin Hye but she has been consistent also. She didn’t reply to any single email she received.

She decided to deactivate her email account already.  

She needs to end every connection with Minho. This is not helping her move on.

She is now working in a 3star hotel in LA. Her short stint in Dynasty helped her and at the same time, hard as it maybe, she enrolled herself in a university. She promised herself, no matter how hard it is, she will finish her studies.

Fortunately for her, she met a relative in LA. A cousin of her mother. They were fond of her when she was little. They were staying in LA for a vacation when they met her. She told her the situation, and lucky enough, agreed to fund her  education.  “This is a loan” she insisted but her aunt said “Don’t be absurd Shin Hye. We  are your family. When you decide to come back to Seoul, you stay with us. Consistently, they were sending Shin Hye money. It’s not enough but it helped her a lot.

It was her duty in the hotel when someone tapped the bell and made her turn. Her eyes widened in disbelief. “Oppa, you’re here” she said.

Soo Hyun was standing in front of her. “How did you know?” she asked

“Your Immo told me. She met my mom two weeks ago in an event and she mentioned that they saw you here, thinking that I would be interested to know” said Soo Hyun.

“I am glad to see you, Oppa” said Shin Hye

“Can I invite you over dinner?” asked Soo Hyun

“Sure! I don’t have class today and I am off by 6pm” said Shin Hye and added “Wait for me at the lobby. I’ll ask someone to bring you refreshment”

Shin Hye changed her clothes and met Soo Hyun at the lobby.

They went to a casual diner  just right across the hotel. Her apartment is not far.

They just ordered Steak and some side dishes.

“How are you Shin Hye?” asked Soo Hyun

“I am ok, Oppa” not looking at him while slicing the steak

“I know you’re not. Stop pretending. It’s still him right?” said Soo Hyun

“Yes, and no. Yes , I am pretending to be ok and No it’s  not about him” said Shin Hye.

“Your the worst liar Shin Hye” said Soo Hyun

And that made her laugh. She guess her eyes was so transparent.

“Hopefully, I will be graduating next year. And then I can land on a more decent job” said Shin Hye, who eventually changed their subject.

“That’s good. When you come back to Korea, you can work in my company “ said Soo Hyun.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter