D-Day (Part 1)

The Price of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

That night, Jackson couldn’t sleep. Not at all. Why? He was studying, actually. Jaebum did remind them that Mark wanted both of them to study. And, he didn’t want to let go of his grades, just for this. Not that he wasn’t nervous or what. On the contrary, he was. ‘til now, he found himself dazing into oblivion from time to time. Spacing out had been a regular thing, as he read through the pages of his book.

He considered studying more of a distraction. A much needed distraction. He needed something to take to his mind of things. There was no use in thinking about it. At the end of the day, it would be Mark’s choice. And, he made a pact with Jinyoung. That, from this day, until the d-day, they wouldn’t talk to the redhead. He planned on keeping his part of the deal, of course. His best friend would probably do the same.

May the odds be in your favour. As mentioned in “The Hunger Games”. Were the odds in his favour? What was the probability of getting chosen? It was only between him and Jinyoung. Though, he was actually expecting Jaebum to join in. It was a good thing the guy didn’t, or things would be a lot more complicated than it already was.

It was weird, because he never saw Jaebum as a threat. For some reason, he had this feeling that the guy only saw Mark as a close friend, more of a brother.

‘Also, if any of you hurt him. You will answer to me. Are we clear? Mark’s my best friend.’ Jaebum seemed to care for Mark, a lot. He couldn’t really understand why Jinyoung hated the guy.

Note to self, never get on Jaebum’s bad side. He hadn’t seen the guy’s bad side, yet. And, he didn’t plan to.

Of course, he wanted to be the person to be chosen. He wanted to be Mark’s Knight in shining armour. He wanted to be the one to take care of the redhead, at all times. But, like Jaebum said, they had to accept whatever decision would be made.

Could he handle that? Not being chosen? Was he strong enough?

Either way, he had no choice.

He shook his head, scratching his eyes afterwards. He shouldn’t be thinking about this. So, he decided to go back to reading. Though, the Analytical Calculus book he was browsing wasn’t really the enjoyable. It was math. A smile slowly formed in his dried lips.

Mark loves math. He’s such a nerd. He chuckled, shaking his head afterwards. Come on, study. For Mark.

His reviewing was halted again, due to the loud ringing of his phone. The screen showed Mom.

“Hello?”

“Hello, dear.”

“Hey, mom. What’s up?”

“Are you busy, Jackson?”

“I’m actually studying.”

“Really? That’s great. It seems that Mark has this good influence on you.”

He snorted. “I study, mom. I’m a very good student.”

“I know, son. Well, I guess we can have dinner some other time.”

This was peculiar. His mom rarely had free time. Though, time itself was actually against them. As much as he wanted to spend time with his mother, he had to deny the offer.

“Sorry, mom.”

“Oh, no. Don’t worry. I’d rather have you study.”

“Thanks, mom. Some other time?”

“Of course, dear. And, do bring Mark along. And, maybe Jinyoung. Good luck on your exams. I know you’ll do well.”

“Thanks, mom. I love you.”

“I love you more, son.”

He placed the phone back on the table. Thinking about it now, their friendship was actually on the line here. As much as they told Jaebum that they would openly accept the decision, it would be very awkward for the both of them.

He shook his head again. Unlike earlier, he was more at ease now. The short conversation with his mom gave him a boost. He raised both arms, stretching them in the process.

At this point, he dropped all those hopes and expectations he had. It was better not to expect anything. It wouldn’t stop them from getting hurt, but it would lessen the pain.

He grabbed his phone, dialling Jinyoung’s number afterwards.

“Hey, man. What’s up?”

“Hey, you studying?”

“Yeah. I hate math.” He chuckled. “Anything you need?”

“About Saturday. Are you nervous?”

“Honestly, I am. And, I’m guessing you are, too?”

“Very, actually.”

“Well, that makes the two of us.”

“Well, we should go back to studying.”

“Yeah, I’ll date my math book for today.” They shared a laugh. “Good luck.”

“You, too.”

Good luck. He wasn’t really sure what it was for, or why he had called up his best friend. But now, he seemed to finally grasp the reason why. It wasn’t just out of boredom, or randomness.  He was unconsciously looking for someone who could relate to him. Knowing that there was someone who clearly understood his situation, and was actually experiencing the same thing, eased him up a bit.

Whatever the case, he hoped things would turn out well, for everyone. Even though he knew that it was impossible.

---

If there was one thing Jinyoung wished he had right now, it was time. It was that one thing he wished he could control. If not, slow it down. It seemed that the whole Universe was in a hurry. It was already Wednesday, and this day was actually coming to an end.

Was the universe getting tired of all the waiting? Did it really want for that day to finally come? Was it that impatient? Was the world that eager to know who would get hurt in the end? Really, the universe was a sadist.

He finally admitted to himself that he wasn’t ready, not at all. He thought he could just ‘wing it’ as Jackson had said before. But, that wasn’t the case right now. That was probably the reason why Mark gave them a whole week, to brace themselves. ‘For the worse’ as Jaebum did mention before. Did the redhead think that a week would actually be enough, for them to be fully prepared? He wasn’t sure about Jackson, but he felt that this wasn’t enough. But, they really didn’t have a say in this, did they?

But, thinking about it now, when would be the right time? And really, when would they be prepared? Someone was bound to get hurt, anyway. Might as well, right?

“Hey, Junior!” He stopped in his tracks, turning his head. “Wait up”

The person came up to him, speeding up a little. “What do you want, Jaebum?”

“Nothing, really. You have an exam?” He shook his head. “Want to have some pizza, then?”

“Sure”

Unlike before, he had been treating Jaebum a bit differently. But, not that much. He still had this small hatred in him, but it wasn’t that much as it was before. He was actually thankful for the other’s company. As promised, either he or Jackson neared Mark. He would see the redhead, most of the time alone. They would exchange smiles, but after that, they would walk away. So, he was grateful that this guy next to him was accompanying him.

Jaebum wasn’t that bad, really. He wasn’t sure why he hated the guy so much before. He was actually a good guy, and a trickster. The guy was that usual happy-go-lucky guy you would see in college. But, unlike the others, this person was actually smart. And, behind that smile, was actually a very wise person.

“Hey, Jaebum” The other hummed, browsing through the menu the restaurant had to offer. “I have a question.”

“Shoot”

“How were you able to kiss Mark and act like nothing happened?”

“Oh, that.” Jaebum placed the menu on the table, calling the waitress’ attention. “I don’t know. I guess I was just so sure about myself. I don’t do things half-heartedly.”

“So, are you sure you have no feelings for Mark?”

“Of course. I’m a hundred percent sure. So, stop worrying, if that’s what you’re thinking. I won’t steal him anymore.”

“Okay, then.” The waitress arrived. Jaebum ordered for the both of them, asking for two plates of pasta, and a family-sized Pepperoni pizza. “Have you been in contact with Mark?”

“I was at his place last night.”

“Oh” He had the urge to ask why, but he had to stop himself. This guy wasn’t a threat anymore. This was Mark’s best friend, and he shouldn’t be worried anymore. “Did he say anything?”

“If you’re talking about Saturday, he didn’t mention anything. I went there to eat.”

“Eat? Why?”

“It’s kinda lonely. I live alone, remember?”

“If I may ask, why did your parents even allow you to be all alone?”

“Actually, they didn’t. They wanted me to study there, but I insisted. They told me that if I wanted to study here, I’ll have to go alone.”

Oh. He never knew. He actually felt bad for asking. It mig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter