The Return

The Price of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You okay?" He nodded at the person. Jaebum had two white mugs on hand. The other one was most likely to be for him. "Here, have some hot chocolate." 

"Thanks, Jaebum."

It was still a bit surprising for Mark to see his childhood friend. He was even at the person's apartment. 

He remembered how Jaebum stood up for him before. Because of his timid nature, Mark had always been an easy target for bullies. He recalled how a five-year old Im Jaebum saved six-year old Mark from the group of bullies. It was a bit embarrassing, because he was even older than the other. 

And this time, it seemed that Jaebum had saved him, yet again. 

"I see you really dyed your hair." He chuckled. He remembered how he promised Jaebum that he'd have red hair. 

"I told you I'll do it."

"You have always been a persistent person." The other took a sip from his cup, staring at nothing in particular.

Jaebum hadn't changed a bit. He still had those pair of small eyes that smile whenever he does. That sharp nose. That soothing voice. That playful smirk. Though, it seemed that he had been to the gym, or maybe, he was even a regular gym-goer.

"I know I'm handsome, Mark. But, it's rude to stare." He rolled his eyes. Yup, this was Jaebum alright. The cocky, arrogant, overconfident Im Jaebum.

"So, what are you doing here?"

"Well, my parents allowed me to finish my studies here. I've already transferred to your school. Luckily, they allowed it. So, I'm back for good." Mark could see that crooked smile on the other's lips. "Why? Did you miss me?" 

He rolled his eyes again and added a smack on Jaebum's arm.

Some things never really change. But wait, did he hear it right? Was Jaebum-

"You'll be staying for good? And you'll be studying in my school."

"Yes and yes. Why? You don't want me to?" He shook his head.

"No, no. I'm just a little surprised. I mean, you're finally back. What are you majoring in?"

"Psychology" The other proudly said. "I like reading people." Jaebum flashed his signature eye smile.

"I guess I'll be seeing you more now."

"Yup. And, I know you missed me, Tuan." He actually did. He thought he would never see Jaebum again, or even remember him. 

Im Jaebum was his first friend.

"Don't get too cocky." The other started laughing. "What's so funny?"

"You said cocky." It took a while for him to understand what Jaebum had meant. And when he finally did, he could feel his cheeks burn up.

"ert!" He smacked the other with the near pillow. 

"I'll go get us something to eat." Jaebum stood, winked at him, before making his way to the kitchen.

Mark was glad. After all these years, he was still remembered. And even if they hadn't seen each other for years, it was like nothing changed, like Jaebum hadn't left at all.

"I'm back." Jaebum sat next to him again. "Here, eat up. Your tall height doesn't match your weight. You need to eat more."

"Thanks" He accepted the slice of pepperoni pizza. "So, do you live alone?"

"Not really. I live with Nora. Nora!" The other called out. Wait, wasn't Nora a girl's name? Mark was waiting for someone to appear, but it seemed that Nora wasn't human. "Hey, Nora." Jaebum gently ruffled Nora's fur, making the feline purr in delight.

"Oh, so you have a cat. You've always wanted one, but your parents never allowed it." Mark didn't dare try to touch the cat, because he could tell that Nora didn't like him.

"Yeah. Nora is the sweetest." Jaebum placed the cat down and soon, she left. "So, care to tell me why you were out there earlier?"

"Oh, uh-" Mark bit his bottom lip. "I left my umbrella at home."

"That is so not you, Mark. And also, I know when you're lying." He chuckled. Jaebum had always been a fast one to pick up.

Trust wasn't the issue here. He could trust Jaebum, a hundred percent sure. He just didn't wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter