Cold eyes

I love you, Nerd.

 

“Cherrie!”

“Hey, Cherrie!” He repeated when he caught up with her. “I’m so glad you’re studying here too.” He added excitedly.

“Che, do you know this guy?” The guy she’s with asked with furrowed brows and scanning him from head to toe. Then she finally glanced at him with a blank expression. “No,” she said, turning her attention to the guy she’s with.

The guy shrugged and put his arms over her shoulder, “He’s probably mistaken.” He said and turned to the skinny guy and said, “Stop bother us again, will you?” Then left him there, bewildered.

‘I’m sorry, Kevin.’

-

CHERRIE’S POV

“What happened to you?” Siwon asked when he saw me enter the office, still barefooted, my hair all messed up and my face is still flushed from running almost ten blocks. “Ask me later,” I said as I pass by his table. I opened my locker and took out my uniform, good thing I always have one in case of emergency. I walked to the comfort room and started changing. I put my hair into a tight bun and put on light make-up.

“Did the president arrive already?” I asked Siwon when I got back at my work table.

“No, Mr. Kim said he’ll arrive after lunch. You’re lucky, Che. He kept looking for you.” Referring to Mr. Kim, “He kept looking for you earlier. He’s counting on you that badly.” He added.

I smiled inside my head, our dear General Manager isn’t really deserving to be the general manager, the two of us were the top candidates for the position before the hotel merge, but I didn’t get the position. Obviously because Mr. Kim is friends with the former owner and he’s been with the company longer than I do. It was unfair, but I know to myself that I’m more competent than him. And I know he knows that, and one day I’ll be the general manager of Seoul Grand Hotel. I just hope the new president will see that I’m rightful for the position.

Just then, Mr. Kim entered the office with that same anxious, pale expression on his face.‘Speaking of the devil,’ I thought. Both Siwon and I stood up and bowed to greet him.

“Cherrie Heo, where the hell have you been?” He grunted, “You’re lucky the president got an emergency meeting to attend to,” he continued to blubber but I can’t comprehend what he’s saying because he’s speaking dialect.

“Why do I have to be there, anyway, Mr. Kim?” I blurted out, disregarding the older’s whining making the General Manager shot a glance at me. “You’re the General Manager, after all.” I emphasized on the word. I’ve had enough of this, I’ve  been acting like a ‘ghost gen. manager for him’ and he gets all the credit.

The 40-year old cleared his throat before saying, “’Cause the president wants to meet all the supervisors and managers,” ‘Liar.’ I thought bitterly. “I’ll deal with your tardiness later, I have to prepare for the president’s arrival.” He said and before we knew it, he was out the door.

“You got him completely off guard right there, Cherrie.” Siwon said with a smirk. “I had a bad morning, Siwon. He ticked me off.” I answered,

“So, are you going to tell me what happened?” he said.

 “Are the materials ready?” I said changing the subject.

He just shook his head, he got the notion that I don’t want to talk about it. He really knows me too well. “Yes, ma’am, everything is ready for the presentation later.” He said and I nodded. “I’ll check the facilities if they’re ready. You wanna come with me?” I said, standing up again.

“Nah, You can do it alone. You’re wonder woman after all.” He joked. I smiled crookedly and walk towards the door.

-

I was walking pass the lobby when I saw a familiar figure entering the main doors. The man I bumped into, Kevin Woo who was wearing the same blue cardigan and with undershirt, faded jeans and slip-ons.  Also wearing that cold, dull eyes that is foreign to my sight. I quickly changed the direction I was going and paced towards him.

“Kevin!” I called out and he turned his head slightly to my side, making those cold eyes stare at me. Why do those eyes give me the feeling that he’s not happy to see me?

“Are you a guest here?” I asked, brushing off the thought.

He blinked twice, and pursed his lips as if waiting for me to say something. “I work here.” I said proudly, “How long have you been staying here?” I asked again when he didn’t answer. What’s wrong with this guy? From the looks of it, he isn’t carrying any luggage, so I’m guessing he’s been here for a day, maybe?

“I, uh. Just visiting a friend.” He said blankly.

“Oh, can I help you or anything?” I offered. “Actually—“

“No, I insist.” I smiled and tugged him towards the reception.

“Annyeong haseyeo!” Sun ji, the receptionist on duty greeted, wearing her usual friendly smile.

“Sun Ji-shii, Can you help my friend, he’s visiting a friend of his.” I said, more like an order than a request.

Sun Ji didn’t answer, she’s staring at the guy I’m with widened eyes. “Sun Ji?” on the corner of my vison, I saw Kevin nod. A nod for what? I just shrug the thought off.

“N-neh.” She replied and started typing on the computer.

I faced Kevin, “If you need anything, just call for me. I’ll be happy to help.” I said.

He nodded, “Ms. Heo, excuse me. I forgot something in my car.” He said and walked out.

He didn’t let me say goodbye again. That’s kinda rude, but I held it in. fine, I’ll let you pass this time. For sure, I’ll see you again. I thought. I bid goodbye to Sun Ji who was dazing to where Kevin disappeared to. I shook my head and left her there.

-

“Cherrie, Mr. Kim wants you in his office.” Her assistant says from the other line. “Ne,’ I answered and hung up.

“Ready?” I glanced at Siwon who’s carrying the folders from his table. I nodded and we walked towards the General Manager’s office.

-

“The President has arrived,” Mr. Kim said, we were at the office. Already? Why isn’t there a grand welcome of stuffs like that? I thought.

“He didn’t want a grand welcoming like what we always do when we have special guests.” He answered as if reading my mind. “And he wants to see us in his office for the presentation of the new operation plan.” He added.  I nodded and the three of us went to the elevator.

His face became more pale as we walk out the elevator to the president’s office. Unlike Mr. Kim and Siwon, I don’t feel anxious or nervous at all. I’m confident about the operation plan we did and I’m ready to give the president a good impression. We reached the office and the executive secretary greeted us. She looks young, the same age as I do I think. Odd. I thought but I greeted back with a smile.

She opened the door for us, and I froze from where I stand when I saw the person sitting by the large table.

-----------------------

Finally got to update! Whew. Sorry for being lazy. oTL. I hope you like tthis chapter. I'll update soon. Please, comment, comment! Your lovely commnets motivates me to write more~ ^^ Thanks!