Shock, Confusion, Realization, Regret

I love you, Nerd.

OMG! Hey, guys! I'm back and as promised, I'm updating. Yey! \(*v*)/ It was a joy to write this chapter (nearly cried, tbh, lol.) I'm getting more and more excited to write the next chapters for you. :) And by the way, thank you for voting for this story. I don't know you can do that! Lol. I haven't explored aff's new features. Haha. And thanks for the comments and to new subscribers, hello. I hope you're enjoying the story. <3 Okay, 'nuf said. Here's the chapter! Don't forget to leave comments, alright? Chapter 24, Go go! ;)

 


 

“Cherrie… I thought I’d never find you.”  A sudden wave of emotions filled her whole being—shock, confusion, anger, and to her surprise, a sudden surge of what is this? Happiness? Is she dreaming? Is she starting to get delusional? Is she really seeing the real person?

But how?” her mind blurted out, how could this be possible? She felt dry up as she remained standing on the side walk. He walked over to her—wide eyed, with the same emotions she’s feeling. He stopped just in front of her, trying his best to stop the urge to hold her in his arms.

“Of all the places..” He ran a hand through his brown hair, “Yeosu… Why didn’t I think you’d just be somewhere in Korea.” He said, more to himself than to her. Cherrie tried to talk but she doesn’t know what to say, still thinking if he was real, that her thoughts were not deceiving her.

He sighed and intently looked at her. And for a moment she thought that he was happy to see her. But how could that be possible? If she knew better, he was happy when she left. The thought somehow pained her. Of course he wasn’t happy to see her; he was just as surprised to see her in an unlikely place. “Yes, that’s it,” Cherrie tried to convince herself.

“W-why? Why are you here?” she stumbled to speak the words.

 Kevin furrowed his eyebrows, thinking what to answer. “I was on town to see the proposal to construct a hotel here. I..” He shifted from one foot to another before continuing, “I was going around town and I saw you. I thought I was imagining things, but when I see you up close,” he sighed and half-smiled, “ I knew it was you..” his voice softened. “Right now, I honestly think my heart’s going to explode because of happiness.”

From the corner of her eyes, she could feel him staring at her and she couldn’t bring herself to look at him. How should she react to this? It’s not like she thought that they’d never see each other again, she was doing a good job of not watching TV just in case he’s featured in one of the news, or preventing to read the business section in the newspaper. Moreover, she wasn’t prepared to see him—here. No, she wasn’t prepared to see him at all. She knew too well what this might do to her, her emotions being stirred up like this—it’s not a good sign.

Kevin stared at her, taking in everything and making sure he remembers the way she looks—bowed down, blushing, hands shaking a little, confused eyes, the way the wind blows on her hair, slightly covering her beautiful face.. “She looks even more beautiful now, though she looks like she lost weight.” He thought, grateful to the fact that she’s here—in front of her, not just a picture he tries not to forget over the months.

The moment he found out she ran away, he was furious—fired a handful of people for letting her go. He tried to find her, he went back and forth to Jeju to see if she was there, went to her place if ever she’d return. He asked everybody she knows, but the answer was it’s either they don’t know or wouldn’t dare tell him. After months of searching, he practically gave up. He almost went back to being his mean self when she broke his heart, but he could not put himself to do it. Instead, in the past months he started to change-- he hired an older and a married secretary, he re-hired the staff he fired a few months back, he was more sensible to his subordinates and most importantly, he stopped seeing women and focused more to be efficient in his work.

He smiled, realizing all this change was because of this woman.. all his life, it revolved around her—changed because of her. Completed because of her.. In that moment, despite the confusion of Cherrie running away, he came to realize how much he loves her. He hated her before but despite all the hate, his love for her is the only one that didn’t change. And it will only get deeper as times goes by. He wanted to reach for her and touch her face, hold her close but first he has to know..

“Cherrie.. Why did you leave?” he asked quietly, as if he’d been asking the same question over and over again since she left.

Finally, she faced him. With wide eyes, as if trying to contemplate how she should answer. “I wish I know what you’re thinking, Cherrie. Are you as happy as I am to see you?”

“Cherrie, say something!” her mind shouted, but what should Cherrie say? It was always like this.. Kevin has this effect of getting her lost for words. She held her hands tighter together to stop it from shaking but it wasn’t such of a help. She can still feel his eyes on her; throat is drying more as the time passes.

“Cherrie.. Why did you leave?” he asked, making her raise her head to look at him in the eyes. “Why are you asking me this, Kevin?” she thought. Confusing her more, isn’t that what he wanted? Her, disappearing in his life? A part of her wanted to believe that he was happy to see her, that there’s still a chance for them to start things over and—“No,” she spoke quietly. She didn’t go all this way to let her heart be played at again. She reminded herself how she strived to have a new life and try to forget everything about him. And she’s not going to let him hurt her again—ever.

Kevin seemed confused of what she said and tried to reach for her hand, “Cherrie, talk to me, please.” He said, sounding like he’s pleading. Cherrie took a step backward, “No—I’ve come this far. I won’t let you.. I won’t let you hurt me again.” She took another step, her tears staring to swell up on the corners of her eyes.

“Cherrie, I—“ was all Kevin said, he too, was lost for words.

She shook her head, “I don’t want to see you ever again. Please just let me be.” She said and ran towards the apartment complex, her tears finally dropping from her eyes.

Kevin stood there—frozen as he watched her shadow disappear. Not noticing that he’s already crying, “I hurt you that much, did I?” he closed his eyes as the sun finally gave way to the darkness and letting regret take over him as the night unfolds.