The Only Thing Left To Do

I love you, Nerd.

 

“I still love you..”

“It’s really nice to hold you so close like this.. it feels like I don’t want it to end.”

“Do you love me,, Cherrie?”

“This guy, he’s my fiancé..”

“He’s the guy I’ve been talking about.”

Cherrie opened her eyes as her vision adjusted into its surroundings, as she remembers the beautiful and painful memories of Kevin in her mind. All the lights were off in her office, making it obvious that it was already dark outside.

“7:45p.m”

It reads on her wall clock. She just stared blankly at it as it ticks, tears swelling up in her eyes again as she recalls the events earlier. “Kevin… How could y-you.” She cried. How much more should she pay for what she did before? Does Kevin hate her that much?

“What should I do now?” She asked herself in between sobs.  She realized that no matter how many times Kevin would hurt her; he’s never going to forgive her. There’s one more thing left that she could do.

Cherrie sighed and brought herself up, dragging her feet towards her desk. She took a seat and opened the computer. “I left you before.. Disappearing in your life again couldn’t hurt anymore.”

-----

“Resignation letter? Is this some kind of a joke, Ms. Heo?” Mrs. Park, head of the HR department said to Cherrie, obviously being shocked at what the latter just read. She’s resigning, she never thought she’d leave Seoul Grand, but it’s the only thing she could think of. Just the thought of her running into Kevin in the hotel scares her to death. She might not make it out alive she doesn’t leave soon.

“I’m not joking around, Mrs. Park. I’m serious about this.” She answered seriously.

“B-but, why so sudden, Ms. Heo? I mean, you’ve just been promoted.” The 40-year old lady said, frowning.

“I’ve written everything in the letter. And besides, I haven’t signed my new contract yet. My current contract says that I can resign whenever I want since I’m still on a probationary level.”

“But—“

“Mrs. Park, even if you and the board won’t agree on this, I will still leave. I don’t care if you’ll sue me for breach of contract.” She said sternly. She’s growing desperate and the more time she spends in this place, the more she feels suffocated.

“O-okay, then. But you know I still have to consult this to the board and the president.” The latter replied.

“Put me on leave, then. But I won’t be back, anyway.” She checked her watch, “I’m going now. Thank you, Mrs. Park.” Cherrie bowed and left the office. Leaving the old lady bewildered about her sudden intention to run off when they both know how much Seoul Grand Hotel means a lot to Cherrie.

--

Cherrie looked around her small apartment for the last time, it only took her a short time to pack her things. Having only her clothes and the photo of her parents, and the cash she has saved for the last 4 years after her parents died. She’s ready to leave everything behind now. Why haven’t she thought of doing this the moment she met Kevin on that street? She chuckled bitterly, she knows clearly why she didn’t. she actually thought that Kevin will forgive and love her still.

*“Maeum paboya,” she whispered and closed her eyes. She couldn’t cry tears anymore, every breathing moment is too painful to her. But deep in her broken heart, she still believes that she can still start a new life, far from every chaotic thing that had happened to her.

Her thoughts were interrupted when her door bell rang. Making her heart beat like crazy, thinking that it might be him. Wondering why she has not answered all his calls and not going to work for the past two days. Cherrie stood still, frozen as she stares at her door with fearful eyes. She may not be able to make it to see him right now and all her plans of leaving Seoul might be impossible.

“Open the door, Cherrie. It’s me.” the voice called out from outside.

Finally after trying to calm herself up, She walked slowly towards the door and with shaking hands, she opened it slowly. Revealing a worried-looking Siwon in front of her, he sighed and gave her a tight hug.

“You never missed a day in work and you’re not answering my calls. You got me badly worrying about you. Mrs. Park told me you were leaving.. Are you all right?” He said in one breath and Cherrie started sobbing as a reply.

“Cherrie! What are you planning to do?” He spoke again as he hugs her tighter and held her on both shoulders.  “Tell me everything, okay?”

Cherrie wiped her tears and nodded.

“That bastard.” Siwon said, clenching his fists as Cherrie ended telling him everything that had happened. Cherri just smiled weakly at him, Siwon sighed.

“So you’re planning to leave Seoul now? Can you still change your mind? You’ve worked so hard to be general manager and you’re throwing away your dream because of that heartless man?” He said warily.

“I don’t know, Siwon. I feel so lost and confused right now. I believe being miles away from everything will help me at the least. I’m not expecting to forget everything, but not being able to see him might help.. I guess.” She answered.

Siwon patted her shoulder, “If that’s what you want. But make sure you’d call me and tell me where in South Korea you are so I can come and visit, alright?” He smiled and she forced a smile back at him. “Okay, then. You want me to take you to Incheon airport?”

Cherrie nodded, “Okay.”

--

“Don’t forget to call me, okay?” Siwon said as he gave her one last hug. “I wrote my number at the back of your parents’ photo so you won’t forget.”

She nodded, “I will call you as soon as I get a place.” Cherrie smiled at her friend, “Thank you, Siwon. Thank you for being my only true friend.”

He chuckled softly, “Take care, Cherrie.” He said as he wave her goodbye.

--

“Sorry, ma’am, but all our Jeju flights are fully booked today.” Said the teller to Cherrie.

“Is that so? Can you book me anywhere outside Seoul, then?” She asked. The ticketing officer checked the monitor and turn to her again with a smile.

“We have available seats for Yeosu.”

“Can you give me a one way ticket? Thank you.”

The woman smiled and nodded.

Cherrie held the ticket tighter as it was announced that her flight to Yeosu is now boarding. She stood up and walked towards the gate. “Yeosu will be my new home now.. Goodbye, Seoul.” She whispered to herself.

She sighed  as she took one last glance around.  “Goodbye, Kevin.” 

 



WHEW! FINALLY! After it seemed like FOREVER.. I've updated another chapter! Gaaaah. I'm sooooo sorry for not being able to update in ages. :/ I was supposed to post the story weeks before but AFF had some problems blah blah. BUT! I've posted it noow, so YEY! \(*v*)/ anywayyyy, guys. This might be sad, but this story is about to end. :/ And I don't think I'd be able to put up a new story any time soon. But I'll try my bbest, Okay? :) Please look forward to it. Hwaiting! ;)