Blue Strings

Secrets That You Can Never Know

The boy didn’t know when he had gotten into the surgery but there he was, lying back on a hard surgical table with a hospital gown on. The doctor is doing his thing, going about the surgery as if the boy hasn’t woken up yet.

He pulls and prods at things within the boys open chest and the boy feels like he should look up until a long blood covered blue string, comes into his vision. The doctor keeps pulling and the string keeps coming, piling up into his hands. The boy feels like screaming even tries to open his mouth to do so, but nothing comes from his lungs, his systems don’t seem to be working.

“How are you meant to replace all of it?” A nurse asks the doctor, who keeps pulling out the blue strings that are starting to look like a blue root of some sort.

“The nervous system is just a lot of electro pluses sent to the brain from the end of a nerve. We just push a new electric wired system through his body and connect it to his pain receptors. We will also have to modify this,” the doctor tilts his head to the boy’s chest, “in order for it to keep up with the new amount of electricity his body will be making…”

The nurse looks worried, not that the boy can see, he is still too busy trying to scream at the frayed length of string that keeps coming from his body. Although there is no pain that follows the strings movements, it is simply just the pure shock that he wants to scream at.

“Doctor…” the nurse calls, “What if his body can’t keep up with this amount of electricity in him? How are we meant to keep his bones from becoming brittle under the current? What if his skin burns? And his blood boils?”

The doctor smiles, already having thought of all this. “He isn’t having just one surgery nurse. This is the beginning. To ease his pain first.”

A clear liquid gets pushed up the boys arms, connecting with his blood, getting pushed along up his veins, quickly making its way through his heart and arteries to his brain. His brain understands what the substance is, and – being as gullible as the human brain is – believes that it has released this sleepy drug. It forces the boy’s eyes to shut and he drifts slowly back into a deep sleep.

It was as if he hadn’t even seen his nerves being pulled out through his chest at all.