Fifteen

Secrets That You Can Never Know

JunHong

One Week

JiEun was obviously not interested in me. She clung to JongUp whenever she saw me coming. Rubbing their relationship in my face. Yet, at the same time she always tried to look at me. Occasionally I could catch her staring – only when I wasn’t staring did she even attempt to stare. And there was this immense sadness in her eyes.

She pities me.

I can feel it in her eyes.

Every sad look she gives me while she hugs JongUp, I feel my heart crack a little more. I can feel my throat tighten and I want to cry out in pain. Because her pity is worse than anything I could ever feel.

 

JiEun

Two Weeks

JunHong doesn’t look at me like he used to. In a way, I am grateful. But then again, it pains me so much. I know I should be used to the way he acts toward me. At first I thought it was just shyness, but I guess it really was hate when we first met.

JongUp always offers his arms to me. I think he is getting sick of me being so clingy. I feel terrible always running to him after I see JunHong… but I need him. I need comfort because I know that JunHong won’t acknowledge me without glaring at me.

It hurts me. Seeing him look so disgusted at me, and then when HimChan or YongGuk Oppa walk in, he acts like a lost puppy. Running away from them only to have HimChan run after him.

 

JunHong

Two and a Half Weeks

I wish she would have just told me that it wasn’t okay for me to wipe the mess off her face.

I wish she wouldn’t have clung to me so much when she fell off the skateboard.

I wish she never made me the maths textbook.

I wish that I had never been excited about meeting her…

 

JiEun

Three Weeks

I don’t know why but I feel like YongGuk Oppa knows something. Like he wants to help me in some way but doesn’t know how to do it.

The way that JunHong looks at him for help, the cute little pleading look for approval and then the shy smile that he has on his face when Bang says yes, or praises him. YongGuk knows something. He knows why JunHong is this way to me.

He knows.

He knows why JunHong runs away, and that is why he looks at me pitifully. I can’t get annoyed about that, YongGuk Oppa took me in when I had nowhere else to go in Seoul. He was sweet and kind and with the help of all the others in this house I feel like I am at home.

But JunHong…

Jell-O…

 

JunHong

A Month

DaeHyun Hyung is an .

I shouldn’t say that but he is.

He says that he knows like JiEun. Why I am acting this way.

He told me that he and YoungJae Hyung know. He told me to go through with this stupid idea that he had come up with to stop both JongUp and JiEun to be so close. He said he would tell JongUp and JiEun I like JiEun if I didn’t go through with it.

I can’t have them knowing.

Yes I like her. But if JiEun likes JongUp I can’t stop her.

It’s not fair.

Channie Hyung is right. I shouldn’t date. Not yet. Not till I know that I really feel that way. Not till I know that I can be gentle enough to hold her without breaking her.

Not till I know…

Not until I know that I won’t hurt JiEun...

 

JiEun

A Month

DaeHyun Oppa knows...

He said that both he and YoungJae Oppa know. That they know that I like JunHong, that they know why I cry into JongUp’s arms. Why JongUp is always close to me.

DaeHyun told me that it’s been a while since he found out. That he has been trying to find a way for JunHong to stop being a jerk.

I don’t think JunHong is a jerk, not really. I think he is cold. And that it has been a month since we hung out in the park together so everything should be right again.

DaeHyun Oppa thinks that way too. He thinks it’s silly that JunHong went back to being cold. He thinks that JunHong could at least acknowledge me.

That’s all I want. Acknowledgement. He doesn’t have to reciprocate my feelings. I won’t mind as long as I can talk to him. See him smile, instead of that cold expressionless look.

DaeHyun thinks that he can stop JunHong from being cold. That he thinks that we can be friends again.

 

 

YoungJae

I’m not an idiot. I see things. I hear things and keep them stored away for later. Just in case. And right now was another just in case moment.

“What do you meant that you have a plan? You can’t just force two people together!” I shout at DaeHyun. It’s not a loud shout. I overheard him talking to both JunHong and JiEun – on separate occasions – telling them that he knew what they were going through and that he would help get them to stop being cold to each other.

I breathe in and out, trying to keep myself calm. This was DaeHyun; he was both genius and idiot. He was irrational and when he got an idea he went with it.

“I have a plan! They need to be together. They are making everyone else miserable. YongGuk Hyung hasn’t watched any war moves in a month, nor has he taken HimChan to any art shows. HimChan Hyung doesn’t bake any more… Remember when he baked? All the cheesecakes…”

“You’re thinking of your stomach? When playing with other people’s feelings you are thinking of your stomach?!” I can’t help lose my cool. Whenever he talks about cheesecake I swear I want to tap his mouth shut or worse…

“No! I’m thinking of the fact that there are two people in this house that are so horridly besotted by each other and yet neither of them knows it!” He lays back on his bed, pillow covering his face as he screams in frustration. “I guess you can’t see how hard it is for JongUp… He doesn’t sleep because he is worried about his little sister. That girl that really liked him has moved on, she thinks that he and JiEun are dating just like JunHong does…”

Now that he mentions it, JongUp was probably fairing the worst. HimChan and Gukkie were fine; they went through their share of rough patches with JunHong. But JongUp? He was always the cheerful one. The one that would go to bed early just so that he could see the sun rise and comment on its beauty. He had his issues – like everyone – but that never stopped him. He nearly always had girls swooning at his feet, but recently, he had been sad. He went to bed late, and even then his light was still on like he was trying to catch up on work. He smiles when JiEun was around, when everyone else did, but he didn’t have that eye smile he usually had in the mornings. His eyes were blank for the majority of the day.

And too top it all off, he hadn’t gone out in three weeks… He normally let the house every other day to hang out with friends or to go out with girls – not that it was often girls but he still had his share of dates. If this keeps up who knows what will happen…

“What’s your plan?” I ask, sitting next to DaeHyun on his bed. Pulling the pillow away from his face. “You got to tell me if you want help.”

DaeHyun groans then rolls on to his stomach. “You weren’t meant to help…”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t actually have any good ideas…”

I sigh. “You never have any good ideas.”

Lying next to him I stare at the ceiling, thinking of how people do it in dramas. Usually the girl gets into some sort of trouble and the love interest saves her while the guy he thought she was dating does nothing – maybe even causes the incident.

“I just want to lock them in a room together. Wait it out.” DaeHyun mutters.

“You know that is one of the stupidest things you have ever thought of?” I laugh, it truly was stupid. Could it be so simple?

“I think if we left them in one room for a long enough period of time they could talk it out… They really just need to tell each other the truth and then that’s that. Our job is done.” DaeHyun had really thought about this, huh?

“We could always put JiEun in danger, JunHong would save her.”

DaeHyun nods, “It would work, but then we would get into trouble.”

I shrug. “I can’t think of anything. Not really anyway… I am running through all these scenarios in my head by none of them work well in reality.”

There is a knock on the door and I bolt upright, “Come in!”

YongGuk walks in and shuts the door behind him, “Sorry…” he mutters, “But it’s been a month and DaeHyun has done nothing stupid so I was wondering… What’s the plan?”

I don’t know if it was YongGuk’s sudden appearance but DaeHyun smiles, “You see YongGuk; I have been waiting until you arrived to get your opinion on something…”

YongGuk smiles as DaeHyun reveals his plan – which he came up with in the thirty seconds it took for YongGuk to walk in and sit down.