Four

Secrets That You Can Never Know

YoungJae

YongGuk hyung and JongUp had taken JiEun out for a tour around Seoul, while HimChan stayed home and fussed over where he was going to put her.

He stood in the middle of the house with his arms folded across his chest and left foot tapping impatiently as JunHong sat on a skateboard sliding back and forth. I leant against the railing of the stair case and leaned my head back,

“DaeHyun!” HimChan yells, “Hurry up!”

DaeHyun slides down the railing and jumps, landing next to JunHong, who doesn’t even flinch, just continues sliding back and forth.

“You called?” he laughs and rests his hands on JunHong’s shoulders, I purse my lips.

HimChan sighs, “We have to reorganise the house… We have a four bedroom house and seven people are living here now…” he sighs and I stand bolt upright.

“DaeHyun is moving to my room.” I say with wide eyes, my cheeks go hot and I look at the floor. “Or… I can move to DaeHyun’s room…”

DaeHyun laughs, “Sure Jae~” He smiles at me and continues moving his arms with JunHong.

“Okay, so YoungJae and DaeHyun, YongGuk and myself…” HimChan ponders the remaining system, “JongUp and JunHong share a room already, but… There is JunHong’s issue…” He smiles shyly at the boy on the skateboard who just hangs his head. “We will have to move you or JongUp out into the study… We can’t have JiEun wondering in and asking questions… Your room is out of bounds to anyone but us.”

JunHong nods again, already knowing the rule.

“We better get a move on then Hyung.” DaeHyun says, squeezing JunHong’s shoulders before starting to move up the stairs. “Have to set everything up.”

I nod, “I’ll be up in a minute DaeHyun!”

HimChan turns to me, “Thank you.”

I smile, “Why hyung? It’s easier if DaeHyun moves into my room. We can’t exactly get JunHong to move far… And JongUp and JiEun will be spending a lot of time together so he will need to move rooms as well… It’s the least we can do to keep that a secret…”

“I know… But…”

JunHong stands slowly. “I will fix JongUp’s things. Move him to the study.” He bows and rides his skateboard down the hall to his room.

HimChan sighs and hangs his head, his forehead with his thumb and forefinger. “That boy...” He starts.

“Hyung, don’t. You just help DaeHyun and I move our stuff to let JiEun in.” I grip his wrist and pull him up the stairs. Listening closely for the movement underneath, coming from JunHong. Just in case.

 

HimChan

JunHong skated to his room, careful not to scratch the floor with his wheels; I would have killed him… Or at least tried.

I let out a sigh and rub my forehead, “That boy…”

YoungJae grabbed my wrist and pulls me up the stairs. I just follow and sigh again.

JunHong needs to be careful now that a girl is moving in, to be honest I don’t even know if he approves that she is moving in. He hasn’t talked to a girl since he moved in with us. Even his doctors had to use male nurses before he would talk to them. JongUp said that he was okay with it. He said he and JunHong had talked about and JunHong was excited.

I sigh again, and DaeHyun looks up from picking up the contents of his floor and dropping on his bed.

“Hyung,” he says, “It will be okay, she won’t find out. He knows his rules.”

I nod and start moving his desk to the end of his bed; it’s only small so it should fit at the end of his bed.

“Really Hyung. JunHong will be fine.”

Once more I nod, and set down the desk, moving the chair over.

Downstairs I can hear JunHong moving the heavy furniture on his own.

“Maybe I should…?” I look towards the door.

“Hyung.” YoungJae rests his hand on my shoulder, and leans against me. “He is fine. Just relax okay?”

 

JunHong                         

I lift JongUp’s bed – mattress and all – with ease and sigh. Life would constantly be like this for me. Easy. Unless it involved numbers… Numbers hurt my head incredibly so.

I move JongUp’s bed– struggling only as I move it out the door – and down the hall to the empty study.

I don’t understand why I have to move JongUp’s stuff… I mean, I understand why I have to move him, his friend is staying with us and I can’t let her know my secret… But why do I have to move him myself…? I can do it. I know I can. They know I can. But… I don’t want to…

 

HimChan

I walk down the stairs, carrying a bag of rubbish that I had picked up in DaeHyun’s room, that kid was a mess.

JunHong is skating around the hall, nothing that would get him to trouble but enough to set my worry in, I look over the floor, bobbing my head from side to side in attempt to spot a scratch that I would get the 17 year old to scrub out.

“Channie Hyung?” He asks, looking up at me, a shy smile playing on his lips.

“Yeah JunHong?” I walk up to him, dropping the rubbish bag at my feet. “What is it? All done?”

He nods. “Yeah…”

I ruffle his blonde hair, and his smiles widens. It was easier when he was shorter…

“You’re a good kid JunHong.”

“Thanks Channie Hyung…”

I remember the first time he came to live with YongGuk and I, nearly five years ago now… He was so frail and scared… The only way we got him to open up was cherry tomatoes and skateboards. It sent us both a little over the edge when it came to buy groceries and meat, but we had to look after him. His mother couldn’t handle him anymore…

A rustling sound comes from the front door, which slowly swings open with an eerie creak.

“We’re home~!” a sweet female voice calls, followed by a grunt from YongGuk and JongUp walking in waving and smiling.

JunHong looks up, skateboard under his arm, bows and quickly retreats to his room.

I seriously wonder how we are meant to handle this…