Ten

Secrets That You Can Never Know

JiEun

I look at the board, watching it wobble beneath YoungJae has me scared. YoungJae-Oppa has good balance; I know he does so if he manages to fall off the board… How will I go? I place a foot in the centre of the board and watch how it wobbles under gentle pressure.

“So… You have to put your feet on the screws…” Zelo mutters.

“Help me.” I say, holding out my hands. “I don’t trust it…”

He nods, and takes my wrists, which makes my stomachs twist at the heat that we exchange.

“Just step on, I won’t let go.”

I nod, slowly stepping on to the board, watching it closely. I accidentally put too much pressure onto the back and of the board and it flips up underneath me, I fall forward and grip on to JunHong for dear life, closing my eyes and waiting for an impact of some sort. Yet there is nothing. All I hear is just the heavy beating of his heart in his chest which I have my ear to.

I quickly step back and rush to get the board, feeling my face glow immensely.

“S…Sorry…” I look at the board in my hands… “I…”

He interjects, “Its fine… We shall try again?”

I place the board down and look at it, feeling uncomfortable.

“P…Please hold me okay? Don’t let me fall…” I whisper, once more placing my foot at the back end of the board.

This time he doesn’t hold my wrists, instead he holds my left hand in his, and rests his right on my hip, keeping me upright and balanced once I finally step onto the board.

“What now?” I ask, finally semi content while the board still trembles underneath me.

“I’ll pull you along… Like I did with YoungJae Hyung. Grab my shoulders.”

“Promise you won’t let go.” My cheeks tighten with heat, “Promise me.”

He nods, “Promise I won’t let you fall. If you get scared just jump off. I’ll catch you. Okay?”

I rest my hands on his shoulders, nodding slowly.

“Look straight ahead. Don’t focus on what I am doing, just go straight okay?”

I nod again, trying to force myself to ignore the burning heat on my hip. Or the ridiculously sweaty palm that I have placed in his hands. I even try to ignore the way his shoulders move underneath my hands as he starts moving, and his breath against my cheeks.

I try, but I can’t. I look up at him and the board tilts slightly. He stops almost immediately.

“JiEun, be careful. Look straight ahead. Okay?”

I nod and do as I am told, looking forward once more, my cheeks on fire alike the rest of my body.

***

I am sitting on the hill, having a break from the lesson. My hands slightly grazed, sore but other than that I was fine. If fine means constantly over heated by the slight gazes given by a certain younger male that is currently showing off his skate board tricks. All things that I would love to know how to do… But I am the clumsiest person ever and believe that I would end up with more than grazed skin.

“How is it going?” DaeHyun asks, sitting next to me and making me jump.

“Well…” I look at my hands and lightly trace the marks there. “Just a few grazes…”

He nods, watching Zelo move on his board. “He has some pretty good skills… don’t you think?”

I glow, “Yeah.”

DaeHyun looks at me, puzzled for a moment. “Did you know that your left cheek blushes more than your right?”

I shake my head, feeling myself heat up more.

“Yup. It does. Just along here…” he traces my cheek bone gently, glancing briefly over at Zelo.

“Oh… I didn’t know…” I turn my head to look over at Zelo…

“DaeHyun!” YoungJae yells suddenly making me jump, looking over to where his voice came from.

“Jae~” DaeHyun replies, “Okay~ We are going home now. Don’t stay out too late and get your lesson finished!”

YoungJae nods, “I want to see you ride better than me JiEun!”

I nod, “Okay Oppa. I shall try.”

“Hwaiting!” They both say, both walking in the direction we had come from to get to the park.

 

JunHong

“Did you know that your left cheek blushes more than your right?” DaeHyun asks JiEun, I look over and see that he is right. Her left cheek, along her cheek bone, a dark red while her right cheek was only dusted pink. I smile to myself as she shakes her head.

Cute.

“Yup. It does. Just along here…” he traces along her cheek bone. I can feel my insides twist and tighten. My throat closes up and hands curling into fists as he glances over at me. JiEun is about to turn to face me as YoungJae Hyung pops up behind them.

My stomach relaxes and I uncurl my hands.

What was that feeling…?

 

JiEun

Zelo walks over as DaeHyun and YoungJae leave. His hands are curled against his sides and he looks annoyed at the world.

“I’m hungry…” he says, “Do you want to… get something to eat?”

I just nod, unsure of how to react to him. He looks so mad… Did I do something wrong?

We walk in silence to the main street, Zelo occasionally looking at me; it makes me nervous because, although I am older he is so much taller. And I am not short.

“What do you feel like?” he asks as we reach the food stretch of the street.

I look around, there are several restaurants, a McDonalds, ice cream pallor’s, lolly shops and… Oh… My… God…

“FROZEN YOGHURT!” I shout, jumping up and down, pulling on his wrist, dragging him to the soft serve fro-yo place.

On one side of the store there are several tables and chairs, on the other there are six machines – each with two different flavours of fro-yo – a topping’s bar and at the front there is a place to pick up a cups from. It’s a self-serve place, obviously but Zelo has no idea what to do.

“Come here.” I say, pulling him to the cup tray. “Pick a cup, pick flavours of the yoghurt you like, get as much as you like, add those toppings – if you want, you don’t have to – then go to the counter to get it weighed. I’ll pay.”

I take a cup and look at all the flavours available. Vanilla, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry. All the usuals, as well as bubble gum, taro, Nutella and mango. I dish myself up some raspberry, blueberry, taro, bubble gum and Nutella fro-yo. Waiting for Zelo to decide.

“Are you stuck?” I ask him and he shakes his head, still staring at the flavours.

Before dishing him up some, not as much as me, but he still gets some, we both skip the toppings and move to the counter where I pay and get us spoons and napkins.

“Here!” I say, handing it too him. “Enjoy~”

We start eating as we head back to the skate park.

“You have some…” he touches the corner of his lips indicating where some food resided on me, “yoghurt… just there…”

I nod and flick my tongue out to meet it. “Thanks.” I say and continue eating

 

JunHong

She eats her weird combination of frozen yoghurt as we walk down the street. I have my skate board under my right arm and continue to watch as she smiles with ever mouthful.

I was surprised when she asked to get fro-yo, I mean, I liked the stuff but her excitement about it was ridiculous. As if she had never been able to eat it freely. But, I guess that is what happens when you live out of the way in Australia. But then again I don’t think that town has a lot of frozen yoghurt places…

“Oh!” JiEun giggles, flicking melted yoghurt all over her face; she struggles to wipe it all away.

“Wait… Let me help.” I say, stopping us both in the middle of the footpath, taking the napkin from hand and gently wiping away the sticky substance.

She bites her lower lip and I can feel my cheeks tightening in a red heat. Her left cheek is dusted red along her cheek bone, my hands hover over her skin.

“A…Are you done…?” She nearly whispers.

 

JiEun

“A…Are you done…?” I manage, his hand still hovering over my cheek. His fingers are cold but the electricity that runs through them and past the napkin into my skin makes me feel… Giddy? I guess…

My stomach does flips while butterflies dance in the opposite direction and my knees feel like they are going to give out at any moment. And yet, my feet want me to move closer. I can feel my upper body trying to move away while my head tries to close the gap between us.

“Huh…? Oh…” He reddens, “Yeah… It’s all gone…”