Be Brave

Love Assumed

- Story view -

Jessica was deep in her thoughts as she sat at her desk in the office. The new idea that had popped up in her head earlier that morning seemed like a feasible method to implement the latest project that had been worrying her for the past few days. Nodding her head, she began typing away on her computer. The vibration from an incoming call distracted Jessica for a second and she was about to ignore whoever the caller was, until she registered Yoona's name, and she stopped what she was doing to pick up the call.

"Hello? Yoong?"

"Sica unnie?"

"Yes? Did something happened?"

"Yes."

The older girl started to get worried and she pressed the phone nearer to her ear. "What happened? Are you alright?"

"I'm alright."

"Then... What's the problem?"

"I just haven't been seeing you much lately."

Jessica relaxed her tensed up body and took a deep breath, before she replied, "Uh-huh..."

"So...instead of asking me if something happened, I guess I should be the one asking you if something happened."

"I'm kinda at work now Yoong. I guess we can talk tonight. I'll be there."

"We don't have to meet there. I can take some time off and meet you elsewhere."

"It's okay. I need a drink too."

"But you-"

"It's okay Yoong. I'll be there."

"Are you sure...?"

"Yes. I'll see you tonight, okay?"

"Hmm... Alright then. See you tonight unnie. Work hard."

"Okay."

Jessica let out a long sigh while she ended the call. Talk about what? She didn't exactly know. Did she really like Taeyeon, like Krystal said? Or was she just a friend? But, how long had it been since she last treated a friend so well? It wasn't normal for her to care that much for a friend. She wasn't even sure if she would do the same for Yoona. She probably would. But Taeyeon wasn't supposed to be comparable to Yoona. Jessica tried to shake away those thoughts from her head, before she brought her attention back to her work. She could worry about those things in the night, she reckoned.

***

"Yoongie." Yoona was arranging the glasses at the back of the counter when a familiar voice called out to her.

"Yes unnie give me a moment," the younger girl replied without turning back, choosing to first finish her task on hand.

When she was finally done, she turned to give a proper greeting and her eyes widened when the person who greeted her was not Kitty. She was Jessica Jung. She only kept staring at the older girl with agape, and Jessica snapped her fingers right in front of her face and she almost jumped.

"U-un-unnie..."

"What's with you?"

"W-why are you h-here...?" Yoona didn't know why she was stuttering.

Jessica only furrowed her eyebrows. "Didn't I say that I'll be here tonight?"

"I know... B-but it shouldn't be...this you..."

"So what if it's 'this me' instead of 'that me'? Stop stuttering now and get me a drink for goodness sake. You make it sound like you haven't seen me before." Annoyance was obvious in Jessica's tone and Yoona knew better than to annoy the older girl further.

Yoona proceeded to make a drink for Jessica and she returned shortly, obviously much more composed than before.

"So..." Yoona began. "What brings Jessica unnie here?"

Jessica knew very well the reason why Yoona mentioned 'Jessica unnie'. "Well, number one, I didn't want to disrupt your work. Number two, I needed a drink. Number three, no one will probably disturb me if I-"

Before Jessica could even complete a sentence, Doojoon came forward and stood beside her. "Hi sweety! I haven't seen you around bef-"

"Doojoon, I've something serious to discuss with my friend. Do leave us." This time, Yoona spoke up and Doojoon understood that look in her eyes.

"Okay! Sorry for disturbing!" The boy flashed a smile and left the girls without more words.

Jessica found herself laughing as she shook her head. "That boy's such a charmer, isn't he?" When Yoona didn't reply, Jessica switched her attention from her drink to the girl. "What...?"

"What exactly happened?" Yoona's tone was serious, and Jessica knew that it was time she came clean.

"I...just didn't feel like coming here that much..."

"All of a sudden?"

"I mean... You told me that I was more decent this way, isn't it...?"

"Come on, unnie. You and I both know that it's not because of me. I'd believe that it's because of that girl, and I'm not wrong, am I?"

"I... I really don't know..."

"Did something happen between the two of you...?"

"I didn't do anything to her Yoong. I swear."

"That wasn't what I mean... What I meant was, I don't know, sparks? I don't know what I'm saying. What are you two now? A couple?"

"No... We're nothing. We're just friends..."

"And...do you want something more?"

"I...don't think so...?"

"Okay wait. What else happened after she called you crying?"

"Uh... We just kinda...started talking..."

"Uh-huh."

"And there was another time when she came here to look me up. I don't know if you were here that time. But she told me that she was fired and I saw that she was really sad so I kinda...treated her to drinks and..."

"And...?"

"And...I employed her."

"Okay... Wait. You...what? You employed her?! Into Blanc Group?!" Yoona's eyes widened and she was almost shouting.

"Gosh keep your volume down will you? Yes I got her into Blanc Group. I don't know what I was doing. Don't ask me. I just... I don't know..."

"Woah..." That was the only thing Yoona could say.

The two girls only looked at each other, not knowing what to say, until Jessica finally spoke up. "Do I...like her...?"

"Do you find yourself thinking of her frequently?"

Jessica didn't take even a moment to consider, and she nodded.

"Do you find yourself being sad when she is?"

She nodded.

"Do you find yourself useless when all you can do is see her being sad? And then, when you can finally do something to make her feel better, you feel like there's nothing else in the world that can give you more happiness than that?"

She nodded.

"What do you think of when you see her?"

This time, Jessica furrowed her eyebrows as she thought hard. "I want to be the reason behind her smile. I want to protect her. I want her to never be sad again. I just want to...hold her, and be by her side..."

"Unnie... You already have the answer."

Jessica frowned, as a million thoughts raced through her mind. Then, the answer came to her, almost miraculously. "I...like her. A lot..."

***

It had been three days since Jessica had that talk with Yoona, and she had been troubled ever since that day. She probably knew about it all along, but she never got herself to face it. Not wanting to think about it any more, she got up from her seat and made a trip to the ninth level. She paced outside the office, pretending to be checking on her employees, when all she wanted to see was Taeyeon. Even though she felt really troubled, she still couldn't hold back a slight smile when she caught sight of Taeyeon. But that smile faded when Sooyoung, another one of her employees rolled her chair over to Taeyeon's desk and put her arm around the girl's shoulders. An annoyed expression took over her face as she pulled out her phone, and she began to type furiously.

 

Taeyeon
are u busy at work?

 The frown stayed on her face even when Taeyeon moved away from Sooyoung to retrieve her phone. She didn't even know that she was pouting while she waited for her reply. Luckily for her, the reply came quickly this time.

 

Taeyeon
My colleague just told me something funny!
I'm really loving my time here.

Jessica wasn't feel any better from Taeyeon's reply, and she bit her lip as she leaned on the glass door. She was too engrossed in thinking of a reply and she failed to notice that Taeyeon had already noticed her and was actually staring at her. Before she even managed to type a reply, she received yet another message from Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon
Anyway do you know that Blanc's chairman is a girl? She's like really young.
Omg and she's right outside my office now. I'll reply you later when she's gone.

Jessica had to hold back her laughter when she read the messages and she was fighting hard not to look up at Taeyeon. Barely containing her laughter, Jessica kept her eyes glued to her phone as she made her way to the elevator, and a message arrived as soon as she reached her own level.

 

Taeyeon
Hahaha she's gone. I think she heard me wanting her to leave. Hehehehehe.

 The boss smiled once again at the message, and she almost forgot about what had happened earlier on as she typed her reply.

 

Taeyeon
hows she like?

 Jessica tapped restlessly on her table once she was back at her desk while she waited to see what Taeyeon would say. Taeyeon's reply only rendered her speechless, and she didn't know if she should be happy or upset, because she was Kitty to Taeyeon, not Jessica Jung.

 

Taeyeon
Drop dead gorgeous.

 

***

Jessica was still in the office, as usual, when Taeyeon was about to knock off that night. Just when she was feeling restless yet again, Taeyeon suddenly dropped her a call. Blinking a few times to keep herself focused, she picked up the call.

"Yes Taeyeon?"

"Hey kitten. I uh..." Taeyeon's words trailed off, and Jessica furrowed her eyebrows, wondering what was up.

"Yeah? What's up?"

"I just wonder if...if..."

"What's with you?"

Jessica could hear Taeyeon take in a deep breath, before her words came out like a bullet train. "I was just thinking if I can hang out with you tonight because I haven't met you for really long and I thought that perhaps you will be ready to meet or something."

"Uh... Sorry? Can you speak a little slower...?"

"I just...wanna hang out with you."

A kind of sadness washed over Jessica for that instant, and Taeyeon would be able to see it in her eyes if she was there. "I told you we...are better this way..." Jessica actually really wanted to meet her, in actual fact, but she didn't know how to, and she didn't know if it was the right thing to do at all.

"I miss you." Tears welled up in Jessica's eyes, because those words sounded so painfully heartbreaking. "I just...really miss you." I miss you more. Jessica wanted to say, but she ended up keeping quiet. The call was silent for a minute or two, before Taeyeon decided to drop the idea. "It's okay, kitten... I was just overwhelmed for a moment. Just forget about everything I jus-"

"I'll meet you there tonight."

Taeyeon couldn't quite believe her ears. "W-what...?"

"I said I'll meet you there tonight. Don't go in there. I'll meet you outside."

"D-did you just say that y-you're gonna meet me?"

"If you ask any more questions, I'm gonna change my mind."

"A-ah no! Okay! I'll be there tonight!"

"I'll meet you at nine. I'll be there before that so just give me a call when you get there."

"O-okay!"

"I'll see you then, Taeyeon."

"See ya kitten!"

Jessica could tell how happy Taeyeon was, but she wasn't sure if this was what she should be doing. She couldn't care less at that moment, though.

***

Taeyeon couldn't explain why she was so jittery while she waited for Jessica outside the bar. She kept dropping glances at the entrance every few seconds, wanting to see the girl so much. When the girl with the familiar half mask finally exited the bar, Taeyeon's eyes were sparkling with happiness, and Jessica herself couldn't hold back a grin as well.

"Let's go," Jessica said as she walked right past Taeyeon.

"Huh? Where?" Taeyeon asked, quickly catching up with Jessica.

"I'm gonna bring you for a spin."

"O-oh okay!"

Taeyeon followed Jessica silently until Jessica stopped right outside the driver's seat of a white Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet. The girl in the half mask was about to open the door when she realised that Taeyeon was just staring at her car with agape.

"Excuse me?" Jessica waved her hand to snap the girl out of her trance. "Get in."

"This... This is...your car...?"

"Uh..." The girl was lost for words for a moment. "I...borrowed it from a friend." She ended up lying, with much uncertainty.

"W-woah..."

"Are you gonna just keep standing there or are you gonna get in and go for a spin with me?" Jessica raised her eyebrow.

Taeyeon finally got to her senses again and hopped onto the car.

"Hold on tight." Jessica said, smirking as she sped off into the darkness.

"Woooooohooooo! Look at my hair hahahahaha!" Taeyeon let out a hearty laugh when the wind messed up her hair totally and Jessica found herself grinning at the dork Taeyeon was.

Jessica drove for half an hour or so, the ride filled with non-stop chattering and laughter, before she stopped somewhere by a river where there was no one else except them. She leaned back, letting her head fall onto the headrest. She was at a peaceful place on a breezy night, with no one else except Taeyeon. What more could she ask for?

She closed her eyes as she inhaled and exhaled deeply. "Taeyeon ah. Sleep."

She felt Taeyeon stirring in her seat and the sound of her releasing her seatbelt, but she reckoned Taeyeon was adjusting herself to a proper position to sleep. However, her eyes shot open when all of a sudden, she felt two hands cupping her face, and shortly after, she could feel warm lips landing on hers.

 


[A/N] 12/9/2014

Surprise! Who saw that kiss coming? Seriously, isn't Taeyeon a little too daring? (I'm speaking as a reader yet again, I know.)

So, enkeeem, TaengSone, RavingJenny, ezbeth, iasb123 and UnNaturalFreak (I hope I didn't miss anyone out) suggested making Jessica jealous, or something alone that line. And IcePrinceTabbie specifically pointed out that Sooyoung could be Taeyeon's colleague and so...this happened. I know some of you like fxgglove and IcePrinceTabbie suggested the appearance of other f(x) members (excluding Krystal), but I'm not really familiar enough with f(x) just yet, so I'll keep trying to think of ways to include them but I'm sorry that I can't promise you anything...

Oh, anyway, this is Jessica's car. I mean, inside this story of course. I would love to go for a drive with Jessi or Taeng in this car... ㅠㅠ In any case, write me something! Anything. :) Happy Fridayyyyyyy!

Subscribe, comment and upvote if you liked what you read :)
© 
Sky Blue Tales