The Chairman

Love Assumed

- Story view -

The days spent working at Blanc Group were nothing but joy for Taeyeon. She gave more than a hundred percent in her work, as well as in maintaining a good relationship with her colleagues. In fact, the girl was slowly becoming Secretary Han's favourite staff member. She was always sincere and caring, and especially responsible.

Secretary Han had only just returned to her office after checking on the staff on Taeyeon's level when she received a call from her boss. She picked it up immediately.

"Yes Miss Jung."

"How's everything?"

"About Taeyeon-ssi?"

"Yes."

"How timely. I just went to check on them. She's doing fine. Really really fine. I'm starting to like her a lot."

"That's great. Be nice to her alright?"

"Don't worry. I won't forget your words."

"Remember not to tell her about me."

"I won't."

"Alright. Get back to your work then. Let's go grab some food some time soon."

"Sure."

Jessica hung up, as she unknowingly smiled to herself. She couldn't help but to feel happy, knowing that she had given Taeyeon a reason to smile, to not worry any more, to feel safe. Picking up her mobile phone instead this time, she began typing a message.

 

Taeyeon
hows work? (:

 She didn't receive a reply until it was time for Taeyeon to knock off.

 

Taeyeon
So good! I'm loving it here. I feel like I can work here forever.
Sorry for replying this late! I thought it wasn't nice for me to keep texting at work.
Have you had dinner?

Jessica shook her head while letting out a defeated laugh. She was finding Taeyeon incredibly adorable, and charismatic, but she wasn't about to admit it.

***

Jessica was home again one night, after unknowingly driving back home while talking to Taeyeon, who was walking home, on the phone after the both of them had knocked off. Upon entering her house, she only gave Krystal a faint smile before she made her way back to her room, her phone not leaving her ear for a second.

She wasn't in the room for more than five minutes when Krystal knocked on her door and opened it right after. Jessica quickly said a "give me a sec" to Taeyeon before she turned to Krystal.

"Yes?"

"I'm hungry. Let's go have dinner," Krystal replied almost emotionlessly.

Jessica nodded and Krystal smiled slightly before she made her way out. The older girl returned to her call with a hint of unexplainable disappointment.

"Hey I've gotta go have dinner. My sister's calling."

"Oh. You have a sister?" The surprise in Taeyeon's voice was obvious and Jessica wondered if she had revealed a little too much.

"Ah, yes. I've gotta go. You grab your dinner too alright?"

"Alright! I'll text you later."

"Okay."

Jessica smiled as she ended the call. She looked at her phone mindlessly with that same smile, even though she found herself looking really silly, but she didn't care. Letting out a breath, she put the phone down on her bed before she got up to join her little sister for dinner. Just the little sister tonight. No phones, no nothing.

***

It wasn't midnight until the two girls finally reached home after dinner. They had realised that they had so much to say to each other. Krystal just missed her older sister a lot, and she never quite had a chance to ever tell her about it. She did, that night, and Jessica had tearfully apologised to her and gave her a proper hug, causing the younger one to cry instead.

They were still talking and laughing as they entered the house. Passing by the living room, they caught sight of their mother who was sitting at the couch. Both girls greeted their mother without much affection, like always, before they proceeded to make their way to Krystal's room.

"Jessica, come to my room. I want to talk to you." The sisters froze and Krystal casted a worried look at her sister. Jessica only clenched her jaw, rolling her eyes. Their mother stood up and walked towards them almost instantly. "What are you standing here for? Go back to your room," she curtly told Krystal, who swallowed her saliva and gently tugged at her sister's shirt.

"Go Krys. I'll talk to you later," Jessica forced herself to smile as she patted her younger girl's shoulder.

In her mother's room, Jessica was silent, and the expression on her face was dark. Her mother sat at the foot of the bed while Jessica stood a short distance away from her.

"Explain to me about Kim Taeyeon." Jessica bit hard on her teeth upon hearing that name. An unknown fear was creeping up on her.

"I've got nothing to explain. Taeyeon is my friend."

"Your friend," Mrs Jung repeated, threateningly, "What kind of friend?"

"She's just a friend, mother."

"Where did you meet her?"

"Mother, I appreciate that you're concerned about me," replied Jessica, even though she knew that concern was never a word in her mother's dictionary, "But I don't think there's a need for you to know every single detail about my friends."

"I want to know where did you meet her." Mrs Jung's tone was firmer than before, and it was no longer a question.

Jessica's heart was starting to thump wildly. It was a mixture of emotions for her. She was afraid, afraid that her mother would do something to Taeyeon. She was anxious, anxious that she had no answer for her mother, because it was something that she must never know. She was fearful, fearful that she might not be able to protect Taeyeon, like how she wasn't able to protect Yuri. Why did she even think of Taeyeon as someone who was as important as Yuri? She didn't know.

"Cat got your tongue?" Jessica clenched her jaw, desperately wanting to answer her mother confidently, but she didn't even have an answer, not to mention confidently. "I just want you to know what you're doing, Jessica." When her mother surprisingly decided to let the question go, Jessica found herself heaving a sigh of relief internally.

"I know what I'm doing," the girl could finally reply.

"You're our hope. You're Blanc Group's hope. You're our family's hope. I hope you will lead a good example for your sister. I don't want you to be doing crazy things like falling in love with a girl. That's just disgusting."

"Mother, can you please, please just stop raking up the past? You wanted us to break up and I did just what you wanted. So if it's okay for you, I'd appreciate that you'd stop talking about it. Can I go now?"

"Go." Threat still lingered in Mrs Jung's voice. Just as Jessica was about to close the door behind her, Mrs Jung spoke up yet again. "And Jessica, I will not tolerate any of those nonsense again. I won't be waiting for you to take any action. I will stop everything myself." Unable to suppress her emotions any more, Jessica only slammed the door shut.

"Krys..." Outside Krystal's door, Jessica could only call out weakly after that internal battle she had been fighting. She could hear Krystal jumping off her bed with a stud and the rushed footsteps that followed before the door swung open. A worried expression hung on Krystal's face as she held her sister's hand and dragged her into her room.

Sitting on the younger girl's bed, Krystal had only pulled Jessica into a hug when the girl burst into tears. "Jessi gosh... Don't cry..." Krystal hated seeing her sister cry, because Jessica rarely ever cried in front of anyone, including her. She didn't say anything more, as she held her sister.

It took her a good fifteen minutes before Jessica finally calmed down and stop crying. Holding the older girl firmly by her shoulders, Krystal looked into her eyes.

"Now, tell me what happened."

Jessica inhaled deeply, and she began, "She threatened me about Taeyeon."

At the mention of the name, Krystal unknowingly raised her eyebrows. "Jessi, are you guys dating?"

Jessica's eyes only widened at the sudden question, and then she furrowed her eyebrows. "Nope."

"Are you sure?"

"Why are you asking?"

"I just..." Krystal looked away from her sister, not knowing how to phrase her words. "I just don't want you to get hurt again after...you know..."

"Okay..."

"Do you... Do you like her?"

Jessica's eyes shot up, a weird kind of panic washing over her. "I... As in... Just... No. No wait. I... I don't know..."

"You do like her, don't you?"

"I... I won't do anything. Don't worry..." Jessica let out a breath before she replied.

"No Jessi. That wasn't what I meant. I just wonder if she can sorta...save you."

Jessica frowned immediately at Krystal's choice of words. "Save...me? What do you mean?"

"I...I know everything Jessi."

"Know what?" Jessica was starting to get impatient.

The younger girl closed her eyes while she inhaled and exhaled deeply, and then she opened her eyes once more, looking firmly into her sister's eyes. "I know what you have been doing when you're not at home."

Jessica couldn't even say anything as she stared at Krystal, wide-eyed. Automatically, she pushed herself away from Krystal but the girl grabbed her wrists and held her there.

"Jessi it's okay what are you doing?!"

Tears were beginning to well up in Jessica's eyes and Krystal was worried sick. "I... I'm sorry Krys. I'm sorry. I'm such a bad sister. I'm such a bad example. I'm a . I..."

" no! You're not... You're not a... You're not that Jessi! Gosh-"

"I'm... I'm so dirty..."

"No no no Jessi listen to me I-"

"I don't deserve to be your-"

Krystal knew that saying any more would be useless, and she only reached out to pull her sister into her arms forcefully while the girl sobbed on her shoulders once again. "Jessi... It's okay..."

"I didn't know what to do... She wanted me to be with guys... Fine. I do that! I do that for her! I do that for her every single night! ing those guys that she wanted me to be with so badly. Having a rough every night! Letting them take..."

"Jessi stop..."

"...me as hard as they want to..."

"Jessi."

"And then I'll ride them like they-"

"Jessica my heart hurts! Stop it!" Krystal burst out in tears and Jessica became silent immediately. The room was filled with only Krystal's crying, Krystal who was crying so badly. "I love you...sis..." The younger girl's voice was trembling. "I love you no matter what you do... You can do anything you want as long as you stop hurting..."

"I'm sorry... Krys I'm sorry..." Jessica's voice came out in a shaky whisper.

***

Jessica slept with Krystal that night, letting herself feel protected in her younger sister's arms. Krystal had woken up earlier than usual, as she stared at her sleeping sister.

"Jessi... I love you so much. Nothing else really matters, you ought to know that," she whispered, tucking the loose strands of hair on Jessica's face behind her ear.

"I love you too Krys." Krystal was surprised when Jessica spoke, even though her eyes were still closed. "I must have done really good in my previous life to have you."

"I think so too," the younger girl teased as she grinned at her sister.

***

Jessica felt especially at ease that day, and she wondered if it was because she no longer had to hide that disgusting fact from her sister. She honestly didn't know why she was still doing it when she herself found it disgusting. Sort of a habit, perhaps, she thought. Either way, she stood up from her seat as she stretched. A sudden mischief was creeping up inside of her and she decided to drop by the nineth level, Taeyeon's level.

Crossing her arms, she stood outside the huge office, the glass door separating them. She couldn't hide her grin as she caught Taeyeon at her desk, burying herself in her work. Taeyeon scratched the back of her head in frustration while she stared at her computer. Finding the look on her face extremely adorable, Jessica let out a laugh and she quickly covered with her fist.

"Miss Jung, what a surprise." Jessica recognised Secretary Han's voice and she turned to return the greeting. Just then, Taeyeon happened to turn towards the glass door and caught sight of the gorgeous young lady. "I was about to head to your office after I have given Eunjung the documents. I need your signature on some documents. I guess we should get them signed first?"

"Oh yes sure. Let's go." Jessica was about to follow Secretary Han when she turned back to catch a glimpse of Taeyeon, and she was surprised when the girl was already looking at her. Almost automatically, Jessica gave the girl a warm, gentle smile. Her heart fluttered when Taeyeon returned a toothy grin, even though the girl supposedly didn't know who she was. With the smile staying on her face, Jessica looked away from Taeyeon as she left the place.

"Hey," Taeyeon urgently called out to the colleague who was sitting beside her.

"Yeah?"

"Do you know who she is?" She pointed to Jessica's back view which was gradually disappearing.

Her colleague quickly turned to look before she turned back and replied matter-of-factly, "You don't know? She's Jessica Jung, Blanc Group's chairman."

Taeyeon's eyes widened at the title of the girl who had just smiled at her not long ago. "She... Blanc Group's chairman is a girl?"

"A young, gorgeous girl, to be exact." Her colleague smiled, before returning to her work.

Taeyeon went back to stare at her computer, but her mind was elsewhere. That girl was Blanc Group's chairman. That smile. It was warm, and just a little familiar, although she couldn't pinpoint what was exactly familiar. She shook the thoughts off her head. How could it be familiar? She laughed at her own absurdity.

 


[A/N] 5/9/2014

This chapter has over 2200 words, significantly longer than the other chapters. I know it's a little Jessica-centric, I didn't quite plan for it to be this way. But while I was writing, I realised that this chapter shows a lot of Jessica and her inner self. I'm not sure if you can feel what I was trying to portray, but I sure hope you do. My favourite part of this chapter? (I know you didn't ask.) Jessica secretly visiting Taeyeon at the office. The scene just feels incredibly cheeky and at the same time a little heartwarming. What do you think of this chapter? Is there anyone (or pairing) you wish would appear in story? Write me something before it's too late for me to include it! :) (Or are you people so smitten with TaengSic that you just want to see the two of them? ㅋㅋㅋ)

On a side note, I want to give every single one of you a big thank you for allowing me to hit 1000 unique subscribers. When I first started writing, I never thought I would get more than a hundred subscribers, but your love has taken me further than I planned to. So I wanna thank all of you from the bottom of my heart. I love all of you. :)

Subscribe, comment and upvote if you liked what you read :)
© 
Sky Blue Tales