The Way Things Are

My Perfect Babysitter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As Jiyoon was surfing the net, Mi Cha came over with two glasses of juice in her hands. "Here you go, Ms Park," she said, putting down the glass on the table. "Fresh homemade orange juice. I made it myself." Jiyoon thanked her as she took a sip.

Mi Cha began to sat on the couch, making a loud bump. "Ah! It's good to relax after a hard day's work," she sighed. Jiyoon smile and continue to browse. Mi Cha, filled with curiousity, glance over at her. "What are you searching for?" she asked.

"Oh. Some interesting activities to do with Eun Mi," replied Jiyoon. Mi Cha just nod her head. "Eun Mi said the way I teach is too boring. So, I decide to plan something fun while I'm teaching her." 

"Are you sure the master allows that?" asked Mi Cha.

"He did say I can teach her in my own ways," replied Jiyoon. "I want to provide some play-based activities and some music if possible."

"I rather you don't. The master doesn't allow any of these in this house," warned Mi Cha. 

"Why not?" asked Jiyoon. 

"It's his rules. He bans all fun and music," replied Mi Cha. "He did said you can teach Eun Mi in whichever way. But it doesn't mean you must include fun and music in the subjects you teach." 

"Surely you don't approve of that," said Jiyoon, feeling worried. Mi Cha began to sighed sadly. "Ever since the master lost his wife, he runs this house as if he's in his office. It's just all work under his orders everyday. No more music. No more laughing. Nothing that reminds him of her. Including Eun Mi." 

"But that's so wrong," said Jiyoon, feeling sorry. 

Mi Cha patted her shoulder. "I'm sorry, Ms Park. That's just the way things are. That's nothing we can do about it." She got up when Jiyoon stopped her. "By the way, what's his late wife's name?"

"Her name is Haneul. Kim Hanuel," Mi Cha quickly reply and she left Jiyoon alone in the living room. In her heart, she felt terrible that Kyuhyun bans fun and music in the house. Most importantly she feels more worried for Eun Mi. Growing up without any play time. 

When Eun Mi woke up from her nap, Jiyoon continue on with her teachings. Again, the same reaction from Eun Mi repeated. Doodling or daydreaming. But this time, Jiyoon has improve on her lessons by providing hands on activities. And Eun Mi started to feel interest. "Do you find this fun, Eun Mi?" asked Jiyoon. Eun Mi nod her head in respond and gave a little smile. 

After a few hours of teaching, Jiyoon and Eun Mi took a break. Eun Mi went back to her doodling. Jiyoon was curious on what she was doodling. "May I see what you have doodled?" she asked. Eun Mi just hide her masterpiece. "It's okay, dear. I won't laugh. Unnie is curious." Eun Mi slowly reveal her masterpiece she has drawn. It's a picture of a girl in the outdoors, holding a ball. She also notice another figure beside the girl. 

"That's an interesting picture you've doodled," said Jiyoon, praising her doodle. 

"Do you like it?" asked Eun Mi.

"Of course. It's lovely," replied Jiyoon, smiling sweetly at her. "Do you mind telling unnie about the picture?" 

"This is me playing with a ball," said Eun Mi as she points at the girl holding a ball. Then, she points to the next figure. "This is appa standing next to me, watching me play."

"Oh, I see," said Jiyoon.

"I wish for me to go out and play at the park with appa," sighed Eun Mi. "But because he doesn't want to anymore, I can't." Her eyes became watery and a single tear stroll down.

Jiyoon saw the tear and wipe it with her thumb. "Do you wish to spend time with appa again?" she asked. Eun Mi nod her head. Soon, tears roll down from her eyes and she began to weep. Some of the tears landed

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter