Final

Stand By You

Jaejoong and Yoochun were silent as they walked back to the car, both deeply engrossed in their own thoughts to say anything to each other. Yoochun reached into his pocket for the keys and clicked the remote to open the car doors before they reached it.

 

Jae opened the passenger door and slid into the seat quietly, reaching for the seatbelt just as Yoochun slid into the driver’s seat. Unfortunately, Jae’s seat belt got caught and no matter how hard he tried, the seatbelt wouldn’t give. His face started to flush as he continued to tug on it.

 

“H-Hyung, are you okay?” Yoochun asked looking at him.

 

Jaejoong’s breath hitched as he began to whisper, “I can’t do it. I can’t do it Chun. I can’t Chunnie,” he said as tears began to form in his eyes as he continued to tug on the seatbelt.

 

“H-Hyungie.” Yoochun whispered as he pulled against Jaejoong who finally let the seatbelt go and allowed himself to be folded in Yoochun’s warm embrace.

 

Jae’s body began to wrack with sobs. Yoochun tried to soothe Jaejoong’s tears by saying, “W-We have to let him go hyung.”

 

Suddenly pulling back, Jae grabbed Yoochun’s shirt, eyes wide as he shook his head saying, “I can’t Chunnie, I can’t let him go just like that,” tears dripping off his face. “Please Chun, please, I need to bring him back. I have to bring him back.” Jaejoong begged. “C-Changmin-ah.” Jaejoong said sobbing onto Yoochun’s chest and breaking Yoochun’s heart, his own tears dripping onto Jaejoong’s neck.

 

They stayed like that for a while, crying on each others’ arms. As Jaejoong’s sobs gradually died down into whimpers, he laid back on his seat as Yoochun opened the glove compartment and pulled out a box of tissues. Jae gratefully took a couple as he blew his nose while Yoochun did the same.

 

“How can I do this Chunnie?” Jae quietly asked. “How can I have Yunho back if Changmin’s not here? How can he want me back when I am the reason why Changmin’s gone?” Jae asked as a fresh wave of tears threatened to spill from his eyes.

 

Yoochun looked at him in shock. “You... You can’t mean that hyung! You can’t still blame yourself after all these years!” Yoochun said in disbelief.

 

“Isn’t that why he left me Chunnie? Isn’t it because he couldn’t bear being around me because I was the reason why Changmin got taken away?” Jaejoong asked turning to Yoochun as he began to cry again.

 

“Hyung,” Yoochun said grabbing at both Jaejoong’s hands, “It wasn’t your fault. None of it was. I am so sorry that you thought that Yunho hyung left you because of Changmin. I don’t claim to know what he was thinking when he left you but I know that he never thought that. He couldn’t have. It tore him apart having to leave you hyung but I know he only thought that he was doing right by you when he left.”

Yoochun left go of Jaejoong’s hands as he cupped the older man’s cheeks, wiping away at his tears. “Yunho hyung loves you so much. Please don’t let our past stop you from having a future together.” Yoochun said.

 

“Yoochun-ah.” Jae said as he began to cry once more.

 

Yoochun chuckled as he let go of Jaejoong’s cheeks and pinched his nose. “Looks like we have a new cry baby in the family.” He said when suddenly both of them jumped as Ryeowook, the law firm’s receptionist knocked on Yoochun’s window.

 

Yoochun rolled down his window as Jaejoong grabbed a couple of more tissues and flipped the sun visor so he can fix his face on the mirror. “Ah did we forget something Ryeowook-shii?”

 

“I’m sorry for bothering you Yoochun-shii, Jaejoong-shii.” Ryeowook hedged as he looked at the two of them apologetically. “Leeteuk-shii was notified that you were still in the premises and sent me to immediately bring you to his office if you have nothing urgent at the moment.” He said.

 

Yoochun turned to Jaejoong who shook his head. Yoochun turned to Ryeowook and said, “Give us a few minutes and we’ll head to his office.”

 

Ryeowook nodded his head and returned to the office building. “Are you sure you’ll still up for this?” Yoochun asked Jaejoong with concern.

 

Jaejoong nodded as he flipped the sun visor back in place. “I think I just need to wash my face and then I’ll be okay.” He said.

 

Leaving the car, Jae passed by the restroom and splashed water on his face. Feeling a bit better, he met Yoochun at the waiting area in Leeteuk’s office. “You may go in now Jaejoong-shii, Yoochun-shii.” Leeteuk’s secretary said as soon as Jaejoong arrived.

 

Giving the secretary a nod, Jaejoong knocked on Leeteuk’s door and opened it when he heard the older man say come in. “Jae.” Leeteuk said as soon as he saw the man.

 

Standing and walking towards Jaejoong, Leeteuk opened his arms and gave the younger man a hug. Pulling back he looked at Yoochun and said, “It’s been a while Yoochun-ah,” then pulled the young man into a hug. “I apologize for missing your concert.”

 

“Don’t be hyung. I’m sorry that I haven’t been by to see you.” He said bowing apologetically.

 

“Well then that makes us even, right?” Leeteuk said as he motioned for them to take a seat and he walked back to his chair. “I’m glad I caught the two of you before you left.” Leeteuk said as he opened a file drawer on the side of his table.

 

“Is there something wrong?” Jaejoong asked, concern written all over his face.

 

Leeteuk didn’t say anything for a moment as though gauging the words he needed to say. “I was about to go into Siwon’s office when I saw the two of you leave. I then asked Siwon why the two of you were with him and he told me what the three of you have been up to these past month.”

 

“I... I’m sorry for going behind your back hyung.” Jaejoong said, his head bowed low.

 

Leeteuk shook his head. “There’s nothing to be sorry for, Jaejoong-ah. If there’s someone who ought to be sorry, it should be me.” He said as he grabbed the right file folder and put it on his desk. “I haven’t been exactly forthright to you about Changmin.” Leeteuk said which made Jaejoong look at him in surprise.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jaejoong sighed deeply as he shut the door of Yoochun’s car. That afternoon’s events have been a roller coaster ride of emotions and he was exhausted. “Are you okay hyung?” Yoochun asked as he walked Jaejoong inside the restaurant. They just missed the evening rush and only a handful of diners remained in the restaurant. Jae waved at one of his crew who gave him a thumbs up signalling that everything was alright.

 

“I’ll be fine Chunnie-ah. I just need to rest for a little while.” He said as he turned to the younger man to give him a hug. “Go ask Mickey for some dinner before you go home okay?” He told the younger man as they walked into the kitchen. “Is Mickey here?” He asked the resident cook who tilted his head towards Mickey’s room in the corner of the kitchen near Jaejoong’s stairs.

 

Jae nodded and knocked on Mickey’s door where he could hear shouts and laughter. Opening the door, he found Mickey and Junsu on the floor playing a video game. Jae folded his arms across his chest and leaned his head on the doorway. Smiling tiredly at the two, Jae called softly to his brother, “Su-ah.”

 

Junsu’s head shot up as he dropped the video game’s remote. “Yah!” Mickey said when he noticed Junsu’s game character skid off the road.

 

Junsu ignored Mickey as he immediately rushed to his older brother and gave him a hug. “Are you alright hyungie?” He murmured into Jaejoong’s neck.

 

Jae pulled back and cupped Junsu’s cheek. “I will be, baby.” He said. “My Su-ah just made me feel better.” He said with a smile.

 

“I’m glad.” Junsu said as he pulled his hyung’s forehead against his. “Everything’s going to turn out okay hyungie. I can feel it.” He whispered.

 

Jae pulled back and looked into his brother’s eyes and he nodded. “I’m going to go up for a little while okay?” He said as he looked at Mickey who was looking at them both in concern. “Go and give Yoochun your best bowl of ramen Mickey-ah. He needs some soup for the soul.” He said with a smile.

 

“Okay hyung.” Mickey said with a nod.

 

Giving his brother one last hug, Jae turned and went upstairs to his bedroom and locked the door behind him. Junsu and Mickey left the room and found Yoochun in the kitchen sitting on one of the countertop stools munching on a piece of carrot.

 

“What happened Chunnie?” Junsu asked as he pulled himself a stool.

 

Yoochun glanced at the resident cook who was cleaning up the rest of the kitchen tools. Mickey glanced at the man and asked if the kitchen was already closed and he responded yes. Mickey then told the man that he can take off early since he was still going to make Yoochun some dinner anyway. The resident cook happily complied. Mickey also asked that the kitchen be off limits to the staff and if possible that they should just close up behind them.

 

After the kitchen was cleared, Mickey offered them his room so they could talk. Yoochun shook his head. Honestly, he didn’t mind that the younger man knew. Jaejoong obviously adored him and he knew Jae wouldn’t mind of Mickey found out the truth about him and their past.

 

“Are you sure?” Mickey asked looking at them with uncertainty.

 

Yoochun smiled and shook his head. “I’m not. But it doesn’t matter.”

 

“Tell us Chun-ah.” Junsu said.

 

Yoochun turned to Mickey and said, “Have I ever told you that Yunho hyung and I have another younger brother?”

 

Mickey shook his head looking surprised.

 

Yoochun smiled. “His name is Changmin.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Mickey just finished wiping the kitchen countertop clean just as Jaejoong stepped onto the kitchen floor. “Oh! You gave me a scare hyung!” Mickey said clutching at his chest.

 

“I’m sorry Mickey-ah.” Jaejoong said listlessly as he sat on one of the stools. “Did Yoochun and Junsu leave?” He asked looking around the kitchen.

 

Mickey nodded as he glanced at Jaejoong but then was silent for a while after that. “I... I heard... I heard about your visit with Siwon-shii this afternoon.” He said after he cleared his throat.

 

Jae looked at him in surprise. “Yoochun told you?” He asked.

 

Mickey blinked. “H-He did. I hope you don’t mind.” He said.

 

Jaejoong shook his head then shrugged. “I guess you would have found out sooner or later.”

 

Mickey didn’t say anything. Turning his back briefly towards Jaejoong, he headed to the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of soju and grabbed a couple of shot glasses along the way. Heading towards Jaejoong, he sat down in one of the stools and said, “I think this is a time to drink, don’t you hyung?” He asked. Pouring Jaejoong and himself a drink, they clinked their glasses and downed their drinks.

 

“Aah.” Jae said as he put his glass back down the countertop which was immediately filled again by Mickey.

 

“One more until you feel better hyung.” Mickey said.

 

Jaejoong giggled. “We might run out of soju then Mickey-ah.” He said but continued to drink anyway.

 

After the fourth shot, Jaejoong slowed down and wiped his nose with the back of his hand as a few stray tears fell down his cheeks. “I don’t mind if you want to leave Mickey-ah.”

 

“E-Excuse me hyung?” Mickey asked in shock. “I... I don’t understand.” He said.

 

Jae downed another glass of soju before looking at his apprentice and said, “How can you want to be around someone like me Mickey-ah? I appreciate your talent, but you won’t get anywhere in life with the likes of me.” He said as he choked up a little.

 

“H-Hyung, you c-can’t mean that.” Mickey said shaking his head. “There is nothing wrong with who you are.” Mickey said fiercely.

 

“Well, the court seems to think so.” Jaejoong said as he grabbed the soju bottle and poured himself another drink. Throwing his head back as he drank, he nearly fell over which had Mickey jumping out of his seat and grabbing at his hyung.

 

Making sure that Jaejoong was steady, Mickey grabbed the soju bottle away from Jae and refused to pour the man another drink. “Well then they were a bunch of stupid idiots who have no idea what kind of person you are.” Mickey said.

 

Jae broke down, tears flowing down his face. Grabbing at his neck, he removed the necklace with the key attached to it and slammed it on the kitchen counter. “Then why would he refuse to see me? I loved him so much Mickey-ah. Changmin was my baby. He was my baby. He was my baby.” Jaejoong said repeatedly as Mickey pulled him into a hug and let Jaejoong cry on his chest.

 

Mickey looked at his hyung helplessly as he hugged him tight. “M-Maybe he didn’t know hyung. M-Maybe he had no idea how loved he was.” Mickey stuttered when suddenly the kitchen door swung open and Yunho came into the room.

 

Jae turned to Yunho in surprise as he pulled away from Mickey. “Yunho!” He exclaimed.

 

Mickey looked as surprised as Jaejoong. "H-Hyung." He whispered.

 

Yunho’s eyes flicked from Jaejoong to Mickey and back. Mickey pulled away from Jae, “I’ll be in my room.” He said and swiped something at the kitchen counter before shutting his door behind him.

 

Yunho watched as the younger left them then looked at Jaejoong. “Are you okay?” He asked face full of love and concern.

 

Jae stood up and walked over to Yunho. “I... I am so sorry Yun. I don’t know how to say how sorry I am.” He said as tears fell from his eyes.

 

“Jae.” Yunho whispered as he pulled the shorter man into his embrace.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Jae asked as his tears and snot mingled on Yunho’s shirt.

 

“I didn’t want to disappoint you again.” Yunho said.

 

“If Leeteuk hyung didn’t tell me, I would have never known that you’ve been looking for Changmin too.” Jaejoong said.

 

“I knew you were heading back to Korea and I wanted to have Changmin back because then I thought maybe you’d be able to forgive me for leaving.” Yunho murmured against Jaejoong’s hair.

 

Jae pulled back and said, “And all the while I was thinking that I couldn’t return to you if I couldn’t give you back Changmin.”

 

“I’m so sorry baby.” Yunho said as he cupped Jaejoong’s cheek. “I’m so sorry I couldn’t find Changmin for you.”

 

“I’m sorry too.” Jae said. “I love you so much Yunho. You are the only man I have ever loved.”

 

“Jae, you are the reason why me and my brothers are alive. You kept me going when I didn’t think I could and you loved my brothers like they were your own. You are the most amazing person I have ever met and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Please Jae. Please let me make up for the past 15 years. I can’t promise that I’ll fill up the hole that Changmin has left in us but I can’t live the rest of my life without you in it anymore. Please Jae.” Yunho said.

 

Jae looked at Yunho’s eyes and smiled. Smoothing Yunho’s hair and smoothing his thumb over Yunho’s cheek, he said, “Changmin wrote a note saying that he wanted us to live happily. You make me happy Yunho. You and Yoochun and Junsu are the reasons for my happiness. Changmin can only make it complete but I know that wherever he is that he chooses to be, he is happy too. I love you so much Yunho.” Yunho smiled and began to pepper Jae’s face with kisses which had the shorter man laughing.

 

Yoochun and Junsu burst into the kitchen and saw their hyung-deul kissing passionately. “Ewww!!! Hyungies!!!” Junsu scoffed as he scrunched his nose at the two.

 

Yoochun chuckled as he put his arm around Junsu’s shoulders and said, “What say we give these two some privacy eh?” He asked wiggling his eyebrows at Junsu when he noticed that Yunho and Jaejoong seemed to ignore them.

 

Junsu rolled his eyes and said, “I guess greasy Yoochun’s back again.”

 

Mickey closed his door slowly making sure that none of the four heard him. Leaning against his door, he looked at his hand that was clutching the key which dangled from the necklace.

 

Yoochun laughed and was about to guide Junsu out of the kitchen door when suddenly his ears perked up when he heard familiar music playing. Jaejoong heard it too because he pulled back from Yunho’s embrace as he looked at Yoochun in surprise. The four of them looked at each other when they realized that the music was coming from Mickey’s room, the unmistakable strains of a familiar music box.

 

= Fin =