A Decade and a Half

Stand By You

Jaejoong waved goodbye to his crew as he finally closed shop for the day. Flipping the sign to closed, he breathed a sigh of relief as another successful day has gone for his little ramen shop.

 

It’s been a month since he opened the little restaurant right after he got back from Japan. Living abroad for 15 years and travelling back and forth between Korea and Japan had finally taken its toll on him. It was time to come home.

 

Heading towards the kitchen, he began to whip up some kimchi jiggae and he looked over to the clock, making sure he had enough time before his late night visitor arrived. Happily noting that he had enough time to cook the dish, he began to preparing the stew, making sure that he didn’t make it too spicy.

 

At exactly 10 p.m., he heard a knock at the front door of the shop. Grinning excitedly, he turned the fire down low and wiped his hands on his apron, smoothing his hair as he headed to the door.

 

“Hey, you made it.” He said as he flung the door open pulling the man on the other side of the door into a hug.

 

The man chuckled, “Of course I was. I wouldn’t miss your kimchi jiggae for anything, you know that.”

 

“Yah, are you telling me you’re only here for my kimchi jiggae?” He asked the other.

 

“Of course, why else would I come?” The man said mocking him.

 

Jaejoong was about to pout when the other went around his back and settled his chin on his shoulder and his hands circling around Jae’s waist. “And don’t you start pouting okay? You know that doesn’t work on me anymore.” The man said.

 

Jaejoong sighed, “You’re just saying that cause you no longer love me as much.” He said and intensified the pout.

 

“Yah, let’s not start this again. You’re the one who doesn’t like being seen in public with me, remember? I should be the one saying that you don’t love me as much.” The other man teased, his arms tightening around Jae’s waist a bit more.

 

“Hmm, fine.” Jaejoong hummed leaning his head towards the latter, enjoying the other man’s touch. He’s definitely missed him, a lot. “Come on, let’s head over to the kitchen. I don’t want my jiggae to overcook.” The other simply allowed himself to be tugged along.

 

“So, have you made any friends around here already?” The man asked.

 

“Hmm?” Jae sounded nonchalantly as he stirred his jiggae.

 

“Come on, it’s been a month now, two if you count when you arrived from Japan. I can’t be your only source of human contact. It’s not healthy.” The other said.

 

“Yah, the shop just opened. I can’t exactly go around gallivanting you know?” Jae replied.

 

“That’s not what I mean at all. I just think that you have to start letting people in.” The other stated matter of factly.

 

“Why, is someone outside?” Jae asked looking at the backdoor.

 

“What?” The other asked looking confused.

 

“Oh, there is someone outside. Hold that thought and let me get the door.” Jae said as he headed to the backdoor just in time to help the young man outside with the boxes he was carrying.

 

Shaking his head, Jae’s guest decided to head over and help the two, carrying a couple of boxes over to the kitchen counter as Jae and the young man carried the rest.

 

“Look, I know that with everything that’s happened, you don’t like getting close to other people. But you have to learn to let things go. You can’t keep living in the past.” His guest pursued as they set their boxes on the table.

 

Jae waved him off and said, “I don’t want to talk about that right now.” This was his least favourite topic. Decidedly ignoring his guest, he returned his attention on the simmering pot as the young man who brought in the boxes began to sense the tension in the kitchen.

 

“Something to drink?” Jae asked his guest.

 

“Uh, I can’t have any alcohol you know that. I can’t have soda either or else I’d be up all night and we wouldn’t want that.” His guest replied.

 

“Nope, we wouldn’t want that.” Jae said as he headed towards the refrigerator, the younger man with the boxes following his movements. “Here, have some coconut juice.” He told his guest.

 

“I’ll just go use the restroom.” The young man with the boxes told Jae who waved him off. Jae returned to his simmering pot as his guest settled back on his chair, hell bent to make Jae see things his way.

 

It didn’t take long for the younger man to return from the restroom as Jae began to ladle the hot stew into bowls. Turning around to see the younger man back, he asked, “You want anything to drink?”

 

The younger man blinked at him but did not respond. Jae’s guest looked at the young man with eyebrows furrowed. “Is he deaf?” He asked.

 

Jae was about to shrug when suddenly the young man pulled at the earphones in his ears with loud rock music blasting from it. “Oh.” Jae said.

 

“Kids these days.” Jae’s guest muttered.

 

“I asked if you wanted a drink.” Jae asked the young man again. The young man just shook his head as he turned his attention to Jae’s guest, looking at him as though sizing him up.

 

“It’s not that spicy right?” The guest said, a wary look on his face as the younger man looked at him and subtlety rolled his eyes at the other. A cough that very much sounded like, wimp followed but it was too soft to be heard.

 

“You know I know how you like it baby.” Jae replied in an offhanded manner not noticing how the younger man’s facial expression soon turned into a scowl.

 

“I know you do.” The guest said his voice intimating a closeness that the younger man noted. “Which is why I don’t get why we have to keep doing this, running around like we’re hiding who we are. I want to be seen in public with you, not having to wait until you close your shop just so we could meet.”

 

“Look baby, I know it’s hard for you. But your career is just taking off and I don’t need anyone judging you because of what I am.” Jae replied his voice on edge.

 

“What you are is not a crime!” His guest replied as Jae slammed his hand down on the kitchen counter.

 

“I said I don’t want to talk about this right now. Let it go.” Jae said almost growling.

 

The younger man didn’t like it when other people made Jaejoong angry and whoever Jae’s guest was, was definitely making Jaejoong upset. Rather concerned as to where this conversation was going he cleared his throat reminding the two of his presence as Jae’s guest finally took notice.

 

“Will he be joining us for dinner?” His guest asked looking at the young man who was staring daggers his way.

 

Jae’s gaze softened when he looked at the younger man. “Oh, I’m so sorry for my rudeness. I haven’t even introduced the two of you.” Jae said. “Junsu, this is Mickey, my new apprentice. He wants to learn about ramen. Mickey, this is Junsu.” He said as Junsu acknowledged the younger man’s presence. Junsu took note of how Mickey seemed to be looking at him with contempt until Jae said, “He’s my younger brother.”

 

“Oh.” Mickey muttered as he moved from where he was standing to bow in front of Junsu. “I didn’t know that you had a brother, seon sang nim*.”

 

“Ah well,” Jaejoong smiled, “My life isn’t really for public consumption.” He said as Junsu rolled his eyes at him.

 

“Mickey eh?” Junsu said. “An unusual name for a Korean don’t you think?” He commented.

 

“It’s a name.” The younger man said shrugging as he took a seat next to Junsu.

 

“So tell me Mickey-ah, how did you end up working for my brother?” He asked the young man as he dug into the jiggae that Jaejoong served him.

 

“Ah, that’s kind of an interesting story.” Jaejoong said as he patted Mickey on the back putting a steaming bowl of jiggae in front of where he sat.

 

“I was Jaejoong seon sang’s very first customer.” He said as he dug into his jiggae, filling his mouth almost immediately.

 

“Yah, don’t talk with your mouth full.” Jae said as he grabbed a few table napkins and it towards Mickey  who took it and wiped at his mouth.

 

Junsu raised his eyebrow as he watched the two interact. Keeping this little memory in mind, he focused on Mickey’s story.

 

“I really enjoyed his cooking and thought that this was something that I could live with the rest of my life.”

 

“His ramen?” Junsu asked.

 

“Well, his food in general.” The young man replied stuffing his mouth full again as Jae stood up to get the young man a drink from the refrigerator.

 

“So you decided to be his apprentice?” Junsu asked.

 

Mickey nodded as he gratefully accepted the drink from Jaejoong before returning his attention back to his bowl. Junsu nodded noticing how Jae seemed to fuss over Mickey. “You look pretty young though, I’m surprised that you’re not in school.” Junsu said.

 

Mickey just shrugged and said, “I’m already 17. Besides, I don’t really like school.” He said.

 

Junsu nodded. He didn’t either and if weren’t for the fact that his adoptive parent Leeteuk made sure that he graduated before getting professionally into football, he’d probably never have a college degree under his belt. It did start his football career much later than most though which is why Jaejoong feels strongly about protecting it.

 

As they all finished up, Junsu stood to stretch which Jaejoong tutted saying that it wasn’t good to be stretching after eating. Junsu just shrugged as Jaejoong shook his head and began spooning the remains of the stew into plastic containers for Junsu to bring home to Sora.

 

“Who are you listening to?” Junsu asked Mickey as he puttered around the kitchen waiting for Jae’s doggie bag.

 

“Uh, he’s a rock artist named Max.” Mickey answered.

 

“Oh, I’ve heard of him.” Junsu replied. “Isn’t he supposed to be deaf or something?” Junsu asked.

 

“Yeah, not totally though.” Mickey said as he offered Junsu an earphone. “Want to listen?” He asked.

 

“Junsu will you come here please?” Jae asked.

 

“Yeah hyungie.” Junsu answered as he shrugged at Mickey who just smiled at him.

 

“Make sure you put this is the refrigerator as soon as you get home okay? Don’t forget.” Jaejoong said reminding his younger brother.

 

“I know, I know.” Junsu replied.

 

“Go home and make sure you don’t stay up too late. I know your game isn’t until late afternoon but I don’t want you exhausted.” Jaejoong said as he ushered his brother out the door.

 

“Yes mom. Geez.” Junsu stated rolling his eyes at his brother again. “If only we can meet earlier during the day then we wouldn’t have to be meeting so late you know?” Junsu said shaking his head. “Or, I’d even take dinner earlier, even late afternoon, just as long as it’s in public.” Junsu asked looking at Jaejoong with puppy eyes.

 

“I know baby. And I promise that it will happen soon okay?” Jaejoong replied sighing at his younger brother.

 

“Maybe even take a concert or a movie?” Junsu asked hopefully.

 

“Fine.” Jae replied.

 

“Good, it’s settled then.” Junsu smiled a look of mischief on his face.

 

“Yes, yes. Just make sure you text me when you arrive at home okay? And tell Leeteuk hyung that I’ll see him soon.” Jaejoong said as he pushed his younger brother out the door. If he didn’t, Junsu would end up staying over and staying awake all night and then he’d be exhausted for his game the next day.

 

“Bye Mickey!” Junsu yelled from the door.

 

“Bye hyung!” Mickey yelled back.

 

“Ugh! Finally!” Jaejoong huffed as he returned to the kitchen as Mickey had the final plate put away. As always, the kitchen was spotless.

 

“Thanks Mickey.” Jae said touching the young man’s arm who jumped in surprise. Apparently, he had his earphones stuck in his ears again. “Oh I’m sorry. Did I surprise you?” Jae asked.

 

Mickey took out his earphones as loud music blasted from it again. “Oh, sorry about that seon sang nim.” He said.

 

Jae smiled as he rubbed the young man’s arm again without thinking. “Don’t stay up too late okay?” He said as he made his way upstairs. “Get some sleep.” He told the younger man who looked at him silently and nodded.

 

Heading towards his bedroom, Jae flopped onto his bed and stared outside the window. The moon was  full and bright and it bathed the night sky with light. His hand sneaked its way over his neck and unconsciously held the key that dangled from a chain around his neck, as sleep finally overtook his body.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A few days later, Jaejoong took some time off work and decided to visit Leeteuk. Heading downtown to the older man’s office, the receptionist waved at him as he entered. “Jaejoong-shii how nice to see you.”

 

“Nice to see you too Wookie.” He said smiling at the young man. “Is Leeteuk hyung in?”

 

“He is. He’s currently in a case conference but they’re about to wrap up soon. Why don’t you take a seat and I’ll call you as soon as he becomes available.” The receptionist replied.

 

“Alright then.” Jaejoong said with a smile as he took a seat placing his bag of food carefully on the floor.

 

After 10 minutes or so, a door to his left side opened and out came a few men and women in suits all talking obviously about cases as they all seemed to be holding several file folders each. After the crowd thinned came Leeteuk followed by Siwon.

 

“Jaejoong-ah!” Leeteuk said walking over to Jaejoong while Siwon followed.

 

“Hey hyung.” Jaejoong said with a smile as he stood up and gave the older man a hug.

 

“How are you Jaejoong-shii.” Siwon said bowing to him.

 

“I’m doing quite well Siwon-shii thanks for asking.” Jaejoong said as he reached for the younger man’s hand and shook it. Siwon came to work for Leeteuk’s law firm a few months after their case some 15 years ago. He became quite a valuable asset to Leeteuk’s firm as he learned to become a better lawyer.

 

“Well, shall we go into my office?” Leeteuk asked.

 

“Of course.” Jaejoong replied. “Will you excuse us Siwon-shii?” He said.

 

“Go ahead Jaejoong-shii. I’ll be in my office Leeteuk sunbae. Just call me if you need anything.” Siwon said as he bowed at the both of them.

 

Leeteuk led Jaejoong into his office and closed the door behind him. “Why don’t we take a seat here.” Leeteuk motioned for Jae to seat at his mini-conference table.

 

Jaejoong nodded as he headed towards the table and put his bags on top of it. “I hope you’re hungry.” He said with a smile as he unwrapped his bags and took out a couple of bowls of ramen and some side dishes.

 

“Ah Jaejoong-ah you spoil me so. The kimchi jiggae you sent home with Junsu the other night definitely hit the spot.” He said as he rubbed his tummy in remembrance. “Your Sora noona doesn’t like me eating midnight snacks but the food you send is definitely an exception.” He said cheekily.

 

Jaejoong laughed covering it with the back of his hand. “Well, they always say that the best way to a man’s heart is his stomach, neh?” He said as he handed the older man a bowl.

 

“Why? Is there a man who’s heart you finally caught?” Leeteuk asked a look of curiosity crossing his face. “You best bring him round for supper. I’m sure your Sora noona would love to meet him.” He said with a smile.

 

Jaejoong just smiled as he sat down. “You know there’s no one hyung.” He said silently as he busied himself with the side dishes.

 

Leeteuk didn’t say anything for a while. “It’s been 15 years Jaejoong-ah.” He said softly.

 

 “I know.” Jaejoong said with a shrug as he started eating.

 

Leeteuk nodded knowing that Jaejoong never really liked talking about the past which is why what Jaejoong told him next surprised him.

 

“I’m actually here about something else hyung.” Jae said.

 

“Oh yeah? Is there something I can help you with?” Leeteuk asked.

 

“Yes.” Jae said putting his chopsticks down and facing the older man. “I want to find Changmin.” He said.

 

“W-What?” Leeteuk asked in surprise.

 

“It’s time hyung. Besides, he’s turning 18 soon and he might decide to find his brothers on his own. Or maybe he’s already started that process. Unless his adoptive parents have never told him he was adopted.” Jae said his face falling at the prospect.

 

“Jae, you know that adoption files are kept confidential. Even adopted kids themselves would have to get a court order so they can have those files opened.” Leeteuk said.

 

“I don’t care about the time or the money hyung.” Jae said. “All I’ve been doing these past 15 years is work hard enough so that I can save enough money to find Changmin.” He said with a passion that Leeteuk easily recognized.

 

Leeteuk considered telling Jaejoong what he had been doing for a while but decided that he’d rather wait. “Alright Jaejoong-ah. I’ll see what I can do.” He told the younger man who smiled at him gratefully.

 

“Thank you so much hyung.” Jae said smiling at Leeteuk happily.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone! Thanks for commenting on that last chapter. I'm sorry for making some of you guys cry. Believe me when I say that I could barely write that chapter because I couldn't see past my tears.

So, here we are, 15 years later. I have the next couple of chapters written out so expect to see those in another couple of days. I have however hit a snag. I am not sure how the first meeting between Yunho and Jaejoong should go. Should Jaejoong be mad? Should Jaejoong forgive Yunho?

I have the ending quite clear in my mind. I even have the last sentence fleshed out well. I'm just not sure how Jaejoong should react when he and Yunho first meet. Suggestions would be much appreciated.