Courtroom Part II

Stand By You

“Raise your right hand.” The bailiff ordered the doctor. “Do you swear to tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth?”

“I do.” The doctor responded and he took his seat.

“Please state your name and profession for the record.” The judge ordered the witness.

“I am Dr. Kwang Min Soo. I am a pediatric resident at the Angel of Mercy Hospital.” He stated.

“Your witness.” The judge informed Choi Siwon who nodded at the judge.

Standing slowly, Siwon took his time to button his coat, took a look at his notes then slowly walked towards the witness. “Good morning doctor.” Siwon said.

“Good morning.” Dr. Kwang replied.

“Will you state for the record how long you have been a pediatric resident at Angel of Mercy?” Siwon asked.

“I have been a pediatric resident at Angel of Mercy for exactly two years today.” Dr. Kwang answered.

“Oh, well then, congratulations are in order?” Siwon asked.

“Thank you.” Dr. Kwang answered with a small smile.

“So Dr. Kwang, in the two years that you have been a pediatric resident at Angel of Mercy, how many cases do you think you have already seen?” Siwon asked.

“I would say at least 500 cases or more.” Dr. Kwang replied.

“Wow, that’s a lot of cases Dr. Kwang.” Siwon said looking impressed. “Sounds like you can be considered an expert on pediatric cases already can’t you?” He added.

“Objection your honor. The counsel is giving his personal evaluation as to the witness’ expertise.” Leeteuk suddenly chimed from his seat.

  “Sustained.” The judge said.

“Dr. Kwang, in your experience as a pediatric resident for two years and having seen hundreds of pediatric cases, can you tell us what happened with the respondent’s youngest brother on the night of the 17th when he was brought to the hospital.” Siwon requested seemingly unphased by the objection.

“At around 9 o’clock on the evening of the 17th, Changmin was brought into the emergency room presenting symptoms of a high fever. Upon performance of routine tests, the results showed that he has been suffering through a severe ear infection for the past week or so. I immediately administered antibiotics to the child which thankfully brought his fever down and then administered antibiotics to bring down the swelling in his left inner ear.” Dr. Kwang relayed.

“What happened then doctor, after the swelling in the boy’s ear came down?” Siwon asked.

“We decided to keep him in the hospital for a few days to keep him under observation. He was able to bounce back quite fast considering the extreme pain he suffered through.” Dr. Kwang answered.

“Objection your honor. The witness cannot verify how much pain the patient was in.” Leeteuk suddenly said.

“Overruled.” The judge said then urged the doctor to continue.

“We were about to release Changmin from the hospital after a few days when I made a final check up. That’s when I noticed that that he seemed not to hear me when I would call him if I stood anywhere near his left side. Ordering a quick hearing test, the results showed that he lost almost 90% of his hearing on his left ear caused by the neglected infection he experienced.” Dr. Kwang stated.

“And that’s when you decided to call Social Services.” Siwon said.

“Yes.” The doctor answered simply.

“So you’re saying that if the boy could have been brought to the hospital immediately, the ear infection could have been caught and the boy would not have lost his hearing?” Siwon asked.

"Objection your honor. The question is leading." Leeteuk piped up.

"Rephrase your question counsel." The judge ordered.

"Would it have made a difference if the boy was brought to the hospital much earlier?" Siwon rephrased.

“Yes.” The doctor replied. “Because the boy’s brother, Yunho, neglected to notice his youngest brother’s symptoms, this led to his brother’s hearing loss.” Siwon said bluntly pointing at Yunho.

“Objection your honor. Counsel is…” Leeteuk began when the judge banged his gavel overruling his objection.

“Please answer the question Dr. Witness.” The judge said.

“Yes, your honor. I believe that it was due to the oldest brother’s neglect that Changmin has suffered pain and now hearing loss.” The doctor responded.

Jae watched Yunho grip the handles of his seat. He knew Yunho was getting worked up when he saw him clenching his jaw. Jae dropped his gaze on his lap as he himself clenched his own hands to keep them from trembling. Knowing that it was because of his own ignorance that Changmin had to go through so much pain, it took a lot not to burst into tears when the doctor kept emphasizing how much Changmin suffered through.

“Thank you doctor. Your witness.” Siwon said looking at Leeteuk who nodded at him.

Standing up, Leeteuk walked over to the doctor and said, “Doctor, in your two years of residency, how many times have you called Social Services to report cases of maltreatment, abuse or neglect of your patients?” Leeteuk asked.

“Several.” The doctor replied his chin slowly jutting in a haughty manner.

“According to court records, you have called Social Services for a total of 10 times for various reasons.” Leeteuk said looking at a piece of paper on the table. “Would you say that’s an accurate number?” He asked.

“I’d say that’s correct.” The doctor replied. “And in those 10 times that you have called Social Services, how many times have you stood as a witness in those cases?” Leeteuk asked.

“All of them.” The doctor answered proudly.

“So you have stood as witness to all the cases where you have reported to Social Services of abuse, maltreatment or neglect to your patient.” Leeteuk stated.

“That’s correct.” The doctor answered truthfully.

“Doctor, in those 10 times, how many cases where due to physical or ual abuse?” Leeteuk asked.

“I wouldn’t be able to remember all that.” The doctor answered.

“Your honor I have here a list of all the cases that the good doctor has reported to Social Services as well as stood witness to. Let the evidence show that none of the cases were reported due to physical or ual abuse.” He said.

Turning back towards the doctor he then asked, “Among those 10 cases doctor, how many were reported due to maltreatment?” Leeteuk asked.

The doctor shifted in his seat. “Uh, I wouldn’t be able to remember that either.” He answered his voice trailing off.

“Surely the doctor can remember at least one case if there were indeed?” Leeteuk said his face incredulous.

“I would have to say none then.” The doctor answered.

“So, out of the 10 cases you reported to Social Services regarding your pediatric patients, none of them were due to physical abuse, ual abuse or maltreatment.” Leeteuk said.

“That’s correct.” The doctor answered.

“So then tell me doctor, out of all these cases of what I would now presume could only be cases of neglect, how many of these parents were gay?” Leeteuk asked.

“Objection your honor! The ual orientation of the parents is not relevant to the case.” Siwon suddenly said jumping from his seat.

The judge stayed quiet for a second before saying, “Overruled. Will the witness please answer the question.” He said looking at the doctor.

The doctor suddenly looked a bit nervous repeatedly swallowing his saliva as Jae observed his adam’s apple bob up and down. Sitting almost to the edge of his seat Jae didn’t realize he was holding his breath until the doctor croaked out, “All of them.”

“All of them?” Leeteuk asked quietly.

“Yes.” The doctor said his expression turning a bit adamant.

“What do you think that implies doctor? That these parents have all neglected their children because they’re gay?” Leeteuk asked.

“Objection your honor! The parents in those previous cases are not in trial here.” Siwon jumped.

“I retract my previous statement your honor.” Leeteuk said. “You mentioned earlier that it was due to my client’s neglect that his brother is now suffering hearing loss. What reason did he give when he brought his younger brother to the hospital on the night of the 17th?”

“He said that his brother has been suffering from a low-grade fever for a few days but that he thought that Changmin was only having a tooth growing in.” He stated.

“Ah yes, I remember when my own niece had her tooth growing in. She kept crying for a week and now that I look back she did have a low grade fever for a while.” Leeteuk said smiling at the doctor.

“Yes well, Changmin has also been presenting reduced appetite, difficulty in sleeping as well as difficulty in balancing himself when he tries to walk all of which are signs and symptoms of an ear infection.”

The doctor responded in a slightly agitated manner. “Sounds like something a child goes through if he was having a tooth growing in as well am I correct?” Leeteuk asked.

“Well yes, except for the difficulty in balancing himself while walking.” The doctor replied.

“Oh, so Changmin is already walking by himself I presume?” Leeteuk suddenly asked.

The doctor blanched slightly. “Uh, well, he has started to walk already.” The doctor answered quietly.

"Oh, but then correct me if I'm wrong, don't children who usually only start to walk easily get outbalanced?" Leeteuk pursued.

"Yes." The doctor answered curtly.

“Oh, so that would be quite difficult to diagnose then wouldn’t it? I mean how can you diagnose difficulty in balance when the child still has difficulty walking by himself yet am I correct?” Leeteuk asked.

“Well, yes.” Said the doctor in acquiescence.

“So it can hardly be called neglect if for the same reason, an ear infection was mistakenly thought to be a harmless tooth growing in because they have the same presenting symptoms wouldn’t it?” Leeteuk asked.

“Yes, well, yes.” The doctor answered. “However, it does not deter from the fact that if it were not for his partner’s neglect, Changmin would not have lost his hearing.” The doctor said obstinately.

“Ah yes, his partner.” Leeteuk said with flourish as he turned around to face the audience. “Will the good doctor inform this court as to whom you are referring to?” Leeteuk said.

Jae gulped when Leeteuk said what he said. Trying his best not to look as nervous as he felt he tried to steady his breathing as he steeled himself from the feeling of dread that seemed to swallow him whole. The doctor seemed to hesitate but then decided to go ahead anyway. He pointed at Jaejoong’s direction and said, “That would be him.”

Jae tried not to flinch when the doctor pointed at him. He saw Yunho grip his seat handles again. “For the record your honor, let this court recognize the person of Mr. Kim Jaejoong.” Leeteuk said walking over to his table and looked at Yunho reassuring him with a small smile. Yunho was surprised when Leeteuk swung the discussion in this manner. After previous discussions with both him and Jaejoong, Leeteuk only mentioned Yunho as the one to be involved in the case. Apparently the man had other ideas.

“Tell us Doctor Kwang, what do you know of Mr. Kim’s relationship to Mr. Jung and his brothers?” Leeteuk asked.

“According to the nurses who took Changmin’s demographic information, Mr. Kim is the boy’s nanny.” The doctor replied a sneer showing on his face to match his sardonic tone.

“Seems to me you don’t believe that he is just Changmin’s nanny.” Leeteuk said. “Well, I have seen both Mr. Jung and Mr. Kim in a rather compromising situation at the hospital. It’s not right for these young boys to see their older brother in such an... intimate position.” He said.

“Oh? And what position would that be doctor?” Leeteuk asked.

“Objection your honor! This line of questioning is in no way of relevance to the parenting skills of Mr. Jung of whose parenting skills is on trial and not of his ual preference.” Siwon suddenly said standing up behind the plaintiff’s table.

“Your honor,” Leeteuk replied, “I believe that Mr. Jung’s ual preferences have a lot to do with why he is on trial here. Mr. Jung has proven to the court that he is able to financially provide for his brothers, keep a roof over their heads, feed them well and make sure that they are educated. It seems to me that the good doctor’s opinion here of whether Mr. Jung’s parenting capability is not being questioned but rather of what his relationship to Mr. Kim is which is in no way relevant to his parenting capability as proven by evidences already presented.”

“In all past 10 cases where the good doctor has stood witness to, all of the parents involved happened to be of the same . All of them brought their children to the hospital for various medical issues all of which were quite minor. However, in all 10 cases that the good doctor has reported, he reported cases of neglect compared to the other 490 cases where the parents where of the opposite . It seems highly irregular your honor that all 10 cases of neglect were only filed against same- parents.” Leeteuk continued.

The judge didn't say anything for a while. Taking a deep breath he began to speak and said, “Counsel, you are treading a very thin line between me removing custody from your client and me throwing this case out. I suggest you proceed with caution. I do no appreciate you badgering an expert witness. However, in the light of this new claim, I am suspending this case until tomorrow morning." With that he banged his gavel and left the courtroom. The bailiff asked for everyone to stand until the judge left and Leeteuk plopped himself on the chair beside Yunho.

"Now it gets interesting." He told Yunho who could only nod his head in agreement.