A Moment to Consider

Stand By You

Yunho shivered as bit as he rubbed his hands on his arms, a thin stream of smoke escaping his lips. He was outside their apartment out on the corridor where Jaejoong wouldn’t be bothered considering how tired he was when they got home.

  It was nearing midnight when he got back from training and Jaejoong was already asleep. Missing the presence of the kids in bed, Yunho finally decided to get out of bed after tossing and turning, his mind too full of worries and concerns.

 

Yunho took another deep drag of his cigarette, when suddenly, “What are you doing?” Jaejoong asked as Yunho jumped in surprise. Yunho immediately hid the cigarette behind his back as he shook his head in innocence.

 

Jaejoong raised his eyebrow and went near him while Yunho took a step back. Sniffing the air around him, Jaejoong said, “Are you smoking Jung Yunho?” He asked incredulously.

 

Yunho shook his head again as he held his breath trying his best not to make any smoke escape. Unfortunately the combination of holding his breath and the smoke in his lungs was making his eyes water. When Jaejoong crossed his arms and began to tap his foot as he waited on Yunho, the latter decided to give up and say, “I didn’t mean too.” He said in a small voice as smoke escaped from his mouth, the swirl of which dispersed as Jaejoong swatted the smoke into oblivion.

 

“Give me that cigarette.” Jaejoong said as Yunho timidly offered him the offending paraphernalia.

 

“You know you’re not supposed to smoke. It’s bad for your health. Besides, what would the kids think when they learn that you smoke.” He said wagging his finger at Yunho.

 

Yunho huffed thinking at how Yoochun would probably look at him in disappointment and Junsu would ask him why he was smoking and if a kiss could make whatever made him smoke go away. “I’m sorry Jaejae.” He whispered as the latter threw the cigarette on the ground and stepped on it.

 

Jaejoong shook his head as he folded Yunho in a hug. “I know it’s stressing you out. But baby, I don’t want you hurting yourself because of this. Promise me,” Jaejoong said tilting Yunho’s chin so that they were looking at each other. “Promise me that whatever happens, you will never do anything destructive. That above all else, you have to take care of yourself because only then can you take care of everyone else.” Jaejoong said as Yunho nodded looking extremely remorseful.

 

Jaejoong sighed. “Come on, let’s go to bed. We have to get up early for tomorrow’s trial.” Jae said as he dragged Yunho back into the apartment.

  “Jae,” Yunho said as he tugged back at the latter which propelled the lighter man back into his chest.

 

“Yah!” Jaejoong said after bumping into Yunho then hit him lightly in the chest.

 

“Oh, sorry.” Yunho chuckled as he pulled on Jaejoong’s shoulders so that they were standing face to face.

 

Jae shook his head, a small smile lifting the corners of mouth. “What is it then?” He asked his eyebrow once again lifting.

 

“I just,” Yunho began as he took a step closer to the shorter man which both his eyebrows lifted at the act.

 

Leaning forward as he closed his eyes, Yunho stopped short when all of a sudden he met the palm of Jaejoong’s hand. “Um… Jrrr?” He mumbled opening his eyes.

 

“You,” Jaejoong began in a tight voice, “Are not going to kiss me with that stinky breath mister.” Jaejoong said as he looked at Yunho from the side of his palm.

 

He then pushed at Yunho’s forehead with his fingers and he marched back into the apartment slamming the door after saying, “And you’re not going to bed smelling like smoke either!” As Yunho chuckled following Jaejoong back into the apartment making sure that he neither smelled nor tasted like cigarette smoke when he went to bed so he could cuddle with his Jaejoongie to sleep.

  ------------------------------------------------------------  

Leeteuk looked over to a visibly nervous Yunho. Patting the young man on the back, Leeteuk gave him a smile before saying, “Well, somebody looks like crap.” He said jokingly.

  Yunho groaned before leaning his forehead on the desk which made Leeteuk laugh. “Don’t make Jaejoong hear you say that.” Yunho mumbled.

“Hey, are you guys doing okay? I mean considering everything that’s happened?” Leeteuk asked as he looked at his watch. The judge seemed to be running a bit late.

 

Yunho glanced over at Jaejoong who was looking at him with concern. Giving him a small smile, he turned his attention back to Leeteuk and hesitated. While the older man has not given them any reason to think that he was homophobic whatsoever, it was still another thing for Yunho to talk to him about things of a more intimate nature.

 

“Well, all things considered, I… We… Uh…” Yunho stammered.

 

Leeteuk smiled. “Hey, you don’t have to talk about it if it makes you feel awkward. I didn’t mean to pry.” Leeteuk said in an understanding voice.

  Yunho looked at Leeteuk seriously. After a moment he said, “Actually hyung I do wish I had someone to talk to about this. I just don’t want to burden you more than we already have.”

 

Leeteuk nodded carefully considering Yunho’s words. It wasn’t uncommon for lawyers to know the most intimate details of their client’s lives. In fact in some cases, it was necessary. He must admit that he was indeed a bit hesitant to know the more personal areas of Yunho and Jaejoong’s relationship. However, a recent conversation with Yoochun somewhat eased these concerns.

 

Leeteuk was about to turn to Yunho when suddenly the court’s bailiff made an announcement. “Uh, we do regret to inform you that this morning’s proceedings will have to be postponed until this afternoon. The honourable judge could not be here for personal reasons. This afternoon’s session will start at 2 o’clock in the afternoon sharp. Thank you.” The bailiff said as some of the counsels present who had schedules for that afternoon immediately rushed to the bailiff because of the schedule change.

 

“Yunho,” Jaejoong said as he approached the two after the bailiff’s announcement.

  “Jae?” Yunho asked as he turned to look at his boyfriend.

 

“I need to leave. One of my co-workers at the restaurant texted me saying that they were running short of people. I’ll pop over quick there to lend them a hand but I’ll be back this afternoon okay?” He said.

 

Yunho nodded as he gave Jaejoong a quick hug. “Be careful okay?” He said to Jaejoong who nodded his head at him.

 

“I’m going first hyung.” Jaejoong said as he bowed at Leeteuk.

  “We’ll see you later, Jaejoong-ah.” Leeteuk said then waved goodbye as the younger man made his way out of the courtroom.

 

Looking over to Leeteuk, Yunho said, “Uh, I guess I’ll see you this afternoon then hyung?”

 

Leeteuk grabbed his briefcase as he looked over to Yunho and said, “Actually I was wondering if you’d like to grab some coffee with me.”

  “Oh,” Yunho said, “Of course hyung. But please, let it be my treat. It’s really the least I can do.”

 

Leeteuk laughed. “Alright dongsaeng. I’ll let you do that.” He said as he gave the young man a pat on the back. “Shall we go?”

 

They decided on a café near the courtroom. There were only a few people there, mostly lawyer types who seemed to be speaking with their own clients as well. After getting their drinks, Leeteuk led them to a far corner of the café to give themselves more privacy.

 

“So, is there something you wanted to talk with me about hyung?” Yunho asked as they settled into their seats as they waited for their drinks.

 

Leeteuk nodded as he placed his briefcase on the floor. Remembering something that Junsu told him the last time they saw each other, Leeteuk looked at Yunho for a moment before he said anything.

 

“Earlier I asked you about how you were doing.” Leeteuk began.

 

Yunho nodded his head slowly as he made way for their drinks which just arrived. Motioning for the older man to go first, Leeteuk took a sip of his drink before Yunho took a sip of his.

 

“I will admit Yunho-ah that I am not as well versed about matters of this nature, however, I am willing to listen. You and your brothers, well, there is something about the five of you that’s different, and I mean that in a good way.” Leeteuk said as he took another sip of his coffee.

 

Yunho smiled. “I appreciate your concern hyung. However, I don’t want to make you uncomfortable.”

 

“Yunho-ah, I know that because of my lack of experience in this specific… area… um…” Leeteuk said hesitantly which actually made Yunho laugh. He could feel the older man’s sincerity and decided that maybe talking about it wouldn’t be as bad.

 

“I… Okay hyung. But please tell me if it’s too much okay?” He asked with a smile.

 

“Arasseo*.” Leeteuk said as he settled back into his chair.

 

“Truth is,” Yunho began, “I just feel guilty.” He said.

 

“Guilty?” Leeteuk asked.

 

Yunho gave a small smile. “Jaejoong, he,” Yunho recounted, “He actually tried to warn me about all this. He said that most people wouldn’t understand.” He said.

 

Leeteuk nodded as he listened to Yunho open up about how he was feeling, trying his best to reserve judgement and just be a friend.

 

“I guess he was right.” Yunho said, his voice subtlety cracking.

  Leeteuk remained quiet as he let Yunho talk.

  “I feel so guilty because I may have caused all of this. If only I reigned in my feelings then maybe we wouldn’t have lost Changmin and Yoochun. Worse, Jaejoong had to lose Junsu as well.” Yunho said his misery now quite evident on his face. “But what hurts the most hyung is that my love has caused Jaejoong pain. What kind of love is that, a love that causes another pain? That doesn’t even make sense.” Yunho said as he shook his head sadly.

 

Leeteuk remained silent for a moment before he spoke. “Yunho-ah, your love for Jaejoong didn’t cause Changmin to have that ear infection.” He said quietly.

Yunho sighed. “I… I guess that’s true hyung. It’s just that maybe if I weren’t so blinded by Jae, then maybe I would have noticed.” Yunho said.

 

Leeteuk chuckled. “That Jae, he really is quite something isn’t he?” Leeteuk asked.

 

Yunho smiled sadly. “He really is hyung. I mean, who else do you know would take on another two sets of responsibility? Three if you included me.” Yunho said his smile getting a bit wider, a bit sadder.

 

Leeteuk nodded and said, “Not a lot.”

 

“Nope.” Yunho acknowledged. “We… We haven’t even been, uh, intimate,” Yunho said stealing a quick glance at the older man, afraid that he was revealing too much. But Leeteuk only looked at him with such understanding eyes that he decided to just truly open his heart.

“We haven’t really done anything far beyond, well, kissing, and all of this happened. I shudder to think what other bad things could happen if I even pushed him for more. Not that I would even try under the current circumstances. I mean, he already feels bad about everything already. I wouldn’t want to add that to the list of things he’d feel guilty about. But, I must admit that it’s getting a bit, well, harder.” Yunho said the words rushing out of his mouth like water through a dam.

 

Leeteuk raised his eyebrow at Yunho, a smirk gracing his lips revealing a small dimple on his cheek.

 

Yunho looked at him a bit puzzled when all of a sudden he realized what he said. Yunho guffawed. “Ah, well, yeah.” Yunho said when Leeteuk laughed as well, a tinge of red tainting his cheeks. “It is, sometimes.” He said as Leeteuk chuckled. “I mean, I want to and I think about it, a lot. But for Jaejoong, I just…” Yunho trailed off as he took another sip of his coffee.

 

“Look,” Leeteuk began. “I know that things are difficult at the moment Yunho-ah, and like I said I don’t have much experience in this area and I wish I had better words to say to you. But, the trial, it’s almost over. This afternoon’s presentation will hopefully get the two of you your brothers back. I need you to keep the faith okay?” Leeteuk said as he tried to ease the younger man’s worries.

 

Yunho smiled as he looked at the older man with gratitude in his eyes. “I know hyung. You don’t even know how good this has already made me feel. I do appreciate you taking time out to talk to me.”

 

“That Yoochun, he’s a special kid. He taught me some stuff the last time we met.” Leeteuk said.

 

Yunho nodded, “That he is hyung.”

 

“I think we have enough time to grab some lunch. This time it’ll be my treat, okay?” Leeteuk said. “And I won’t take no for an answer.” Leeteuk said as he waved off Yunho’s protests. "Let me just make a phone call really quick and we'll be on our way."

  *************************************************************

Hey all. First off, let me apologize for not being able to pull through with my promise last week. Things got hectic and crazy just as I was about to leave and I couldn't find the time to write. And even these past few days, it's been quite hard to find a time where I was alone and I could just write. Plus jetlag wasn't helping any.

Second, the story is running longer than I am intending it to be. However, I have written the next two chapters and so there will probably be one more chapter and an epilogue and this fic is done! Unfortunately, as to when the final chapter and the epilogue will get written I have not idea.

Third, I will be releasing the next chapter, Lord willing, two days from now (provided that the next place I head to will have internet, which my sister has told me it has so fingers crossed okay?). And the next chapter after that will be four days from today.

Fourth, since this fic is about to end and it's gotten a lot of subscribers, I would really appreciate it if more of you will comment because it really does help me in the writing process. I am tempted to limit the 2nd to the last chapter (which is a doozy by the way) to those who comment a lot so to prevent that would mean more comments okay?

Fifth, and the last, if you could be so kind as to tell me which country you're from in your comment? I just wanted to get an idea of where you all are from, if you don't mind. You don't have to tell me, I was just curious, is all.

Thanks everyone!!!