Moving Forward

Stand By You

“Yunho.” Jaejoong said as Junsu grabbed the tray from him, his gaze never leaving Yunho’s face.

 

Yoochun, Junsu and Mickey all stood there watching the two as they looked at each other. The tension in the room was so palpable you could cut it with a knife.

 

“Well now, isn’t this nice?” Yoochun said after clearing his throat, breaking the silence.

 

Jaejoong looked at Yoochun and nodded his head. It was supposed to be a happy occasion. He didn’t want to waste the happiness of seeing Yoochun all over again with drama. Ignoring what was obviously such a huge elephant in the room, Jaejoong motioned for everyone to sit. Mickey already had the dishes set on the table.

 

As Mickey turned to leave Jaejoong asked where he was going. Looking at the four awkwardly, “I thought you guys might want some privacy. After all you haven’t seen each other in a long time.” He said.

 

Jaejoong shook his head and said, “That’s silly. You haven’t had dinner yet and there’s definitely more than enough for everyone.”

 

Yunho silently watched the interaction between Jaejoong and Mickey. Clearing his throat, Yunho said, “Please join us Mickey-shii.”

 

Mickey looked at Jaejoong then Yunho. Seeing the look in the older man’s eyes, Mickey nodded his head and they each took a seat as Jaejoong began to serve each of them, all the while stealing glances at Yunho and flushing every single time because he realized that he was being observed silently.

 

Yoochun and Junsu dominated the conversation much like how it was all those years ago. Yoochun regaled them of stories from his travels while Junsu told Yoochun about how he got into football. Jae would comment on their stories once in a while. Yunho on the other hand kept quiet as he ate and watched.

 

Jae turned to Mickey making sure that he was eating well. He smiled when he realized that he didn’t have to worry about the young man. He had his plate full and had his mouth stuffed. Grabbing a napkin from the holder, he passed it on to Mickey who wiped his mouth with it as he finished off the plate of ddeok. Jae then poured him a drink which the latter gratefully accepted.

 

“Hyung, do you still have some more ddeok?” Yoochun suddenly asked.

 

“Let me go get some.” Jaejoong said as he smiled at Yoochun. Happily finding an excuse to escape Yunho’s stare, Jae grabbed the empty bowl went inside the kitchen then spoon some more ddeokbokki in it.

 

Jae was about to return to the front when suddenly Yunho entered the kitchen and looked at Jae who suddenly looked like he was trapped. “Uh, did you need anything?” Jaejoong asked suddenly very aware that everyone outside knew that he and Yunho were alone in the kitchen.

 

Yunho shook his head and walked slowly over then stopping right in front of him. Looking deep into his eyes Yunho reached over to brush his thumb over Jaejoong’s lips making the latter shiver. “Just you Jae, I just need you.” He whispered as he pulled the other into a long, sweet kiss that took both their breaths away.

 

Yunho touched his forehead onto Jaejoong’s with his eyes closed, his hands cupping Jaejoong’s face and whispered, “I missed you so much.”

 

Jae’s tears began to roll down his cheeks as he closed his eyes and buried his face in Yunho’s chest. Splaying his hands across Yunho’s chest and pushed him back gently. “T-The kids are waiting.” He said without looking at Yunho, his breath hitching.

 

“Jae,” Yunho said as Jaejoong pulled away. Jaejoong grabbed the bowl of ddeok and was about to leave when Yunho grabbed his wrist. “Jaejoongie, please.”

 

Jae winced at the endearment. Twisting his wrist so Yunho would let go, Jae took a deep breath to control his emotions before turning to leave the kitchen and went back to the three. Yunho could only stand there as he watched Jae fight with himself, a tear falling down his cheek. Wiping at it with the back of his hand, Yunho knew that he hurt Jaejoong deeply. Fighting the urge to howl in pain, he returned to the front of the restaurant where he saw Jaejoong fussing over Mickey while Junsu and Yoochun were laughing over something in Yoochun’s phone.

 

Looking at the four of them made Yunho’s heart ache. Suddenly feeling closed in, he grabbed his coat from the back of his chair and announced that he had to leave. “H-Hyung,” Yoochun said standing up.

 

“I’m sorry Chun. Something came up and I need to go.” He said looking at Jaejoong who refused to look at him. “Junsu it was great seeing you again. Call me so we can catch up. Mickey it was nice meeting you.” He addressed the two who looked up at him, the surprise of his abrupt departure evident on their faces. Turning to Jae, he said, “This was a great meal Jae. Thanks.” Yunho said while Jae simply nodded.

 

“Right.” Yunho said as he looked at Yoochun who looked alternately at him then Jaejoong. “I’ll see you at home Chun. I’ll be home before dawn.” He said then left. Jaejoong watched as Yunho left the restaurant just like that, the tinkling of the bell above the door reminding him that once again, Yunho left him.

 

Jae knew he wasn’t being fair. He should’ve said something back in the kitchen. He should have kicked, screamed, punched Yunho. Instead, when Yunho came to kiss him, he felt his entire resolve crumble. Having to push Yunho away was his last ditch effort for self preservation.

Yoochun cleared his throat bringing Jaejoong back to the present. “Jaejoongie hyung, I’m sorry that Yunho hyung had to leave. I guess my invitation was too short a notice for him.” Yoochun said trying to excuse his brother’s behavior. “I know he would’ve wanted to stay longer but he’s extremely busy with work. I know he would have loved to stay here with us.” Yoochun explained.

 

Jaejoong smiled at Yoochun and patted the young man’s hand. “Hey, it’s okay. Don’t worry about it. I’m sure he had important reasons.” He said as he began to gather the empty dishes. Mickey stood up to help his hyung when Junsu begged him for a game saying that he bought with him the new video game they’ve both been wanting to try out.

 

Jaejoong told Mickey to go with Junsu and leave the cleaning up to him. Mickey frowned and refused but Jae insisted. Yoochun immediately volunteered to help Jae instead which made Junsu happy and told Mickey he no longer had an excuse.

 

While the two were playing in Mickey’s room, Jae and Yoochun washed and dried the dishes. They worked in companionable silence until Jaejoong looked at Yoochun and asked, “So how are you doing?”

 

Yoochun smiled. “I’m doing well hyung.” He said.

 

Jae smiled. “I know you are. I’ve actually been following your career.” He said.

 

“You have?” Yoochun asked in surprise.

 

“Of course I have. I’m just sorry that I haven’t been to any of your live performances until tonight.” Jae said, his voice filled with regret. “You really were quite wonderful Chunnie.”

 

Yoochun smiled again. “Thanks hyung.”

 

“So,” Jae began again, “How are you doing?” He asked again.

 

This time Yoochun laughed. “Ah, so we’re down to this now are we?” He asked with a smirk.

 

Jaejoong shrugged as he continued handing Yoochun dishes to dry. “Where to begin then?” Yoochun said. “Well, I have someone in the States.” Yoochun said as Jaejoong looked at him with a surprised smile. “I guess you were right, I did find someone to love.”

 

Jaejoong grinned and fought the urge to ruffle Yoochun’s hair since his hands were wet. “Ah, my Chunnie certainly has grown up.” Opting to nudge the latter with his shoulder instead.

 

Yoochun chuckled. “Yeah well, your Chunnie’s still young, unlike you and Yunho hyung who are certainly quite old.” He said.

 

Jaejoong just smiled but didn’t say anything. Instead, they fell in companionable silence again. But then Yoochun turned to Jaejoong and said, “What about you hyung? How are you doing?” Turning the tables on the older man.

 

Jaejoong laughed, covering his mouth with the back of his hand, careful that the suds didn’t touch his lips. “You learn fast.” He said.

 

“Well, I have learned from the master.” Yoochun said bowing to the older.

 

Jae giggled. “Well, I’m happy to be home.” Jaejoong said simply.

 

“Me too.” Yoochun replied as they looked each other, their words full of meaning.

 

“I… I just wish… I just wish Changmin was here with us.” Jaejoong said, his voice tinged with sadness.

 

Yoochun nodded as he dried more plates. “I know hyung. I think about him a lot these days.” He said simply.

 

Suddenly, Jae smiled. “I dreamt about you telling me to go find him.” He told Yoochun.

 

“You did?” Yoochun asked in surprise.

 

Jae nodded. “You said, ‘It’s time hyung. It’s time to find him.’”

 

“I did?” Yoochun asked.

 

Jae nodded again. They didn’t say anything for a while. And then Yoochun asked, “Do you think I’m right?”

 

Jae didn’t immediately reply. But then he said, “Do you?”

 

Yoochun thought about it for a moment. “I think you should.” He replied.

 

Jaejoong nodded. “I think so too.”

 

“How will you go about it then?” Yoochun asked.

 

Jae’s eyes sparkled as he looked at Yoochun, happiness bursting in his heart. He was glad that Yoochun agreed that they should start looking for Changmin already. “I need you to sign papers for the court asking to contact Changmin. I’m not his blood relative so I can’t do that. Only you or Yunho can request for it.”

 

Yoochun nodded thoughtfully then said, “Tell me where to sign and I’ll do it.”

Jaejoong couldn’t help it. He turned to Yoochun and hugged the younger man, wet hands and all. “Thanks Chunnie.” He whispered.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When Yoochun got home, he found Yunho smoking in the balcony. Walking over to his brother, he took the cigarette from him and took a deep long drag after which he threw it on the floor and stepped on it.  “I didn’t know you smoked hyung.” He said as he blew out the smoke in a thin stream.

 

“I didn’t... I don’t.” Came Yunho’s reply.

 

Yoochun tutted. “Besides, someone your age should really start taking care of your health.” He teased trying to lighten the mood.

 

“Yah, 33 isn’t old.” Yunho said lightly punching his brother.

 

Yoochun grinned at his hyung. After a little while he turned to Yunho then said, “What happened tonight hyungie? Why’d you leave?” Yoochun asked.

 

“He… He pushed me away.” Yunho answered silently.

 

Yoochun sighed. “Can’t say I can blame him.” Yoochun said.

 

“You can’t.” Yunho agreed looking up at the stars.

 

“Did you at least tell him though?” Yoochun asked as he looked up at the stars.

 

“Tell him what?” Yunho asked.

 

“That you never forgot about him? That every single time you came to visit me in the States you would pass by Japan and go to that restaurant he worked at? That you went to each and every game Junsu’s played hoping to see him? That you have been pretty much ordering out from his restaurant for the past month?” Yoochun asked.

 

Yunho shook his head. Yoochun smiled. “Ah, no wonder he pushed you away,” he said.

 

“It’s… complicated.” Yunho replied.

 

“What isn’t?” Yoochun asked. “Nothing has ever come easy for us hyung. What made you think trying to get Jaejoongie hyung back was going to be different?”

 

“I didn’t.” Yunho said. “I just hoped it would.” He added truthfully.

 

Yoochun nodded his head then said, “Well, they do say that there are things worth fighting for. And I think that Jaejoongie hyung is definitely worth fighting for.” He said.

 

Yunho smiled and said, “Teukie hyung told me that too.”

 

“I tell you that old man is wise.” Yoochun replied. “It’s a wonder though that he hasn’t meddled in you and Jaejoong hyung’s business knowing he knew where you were.” He said.

 

“I’ve asked him about that too.” Yunho said leaning his arms on the balcony. “But then he told me that unless Jaejoong asked, he didn’t find it necessary to tell.”

 

“And so Jaejoongie hyung has never asked? In 15 years?” Yoochun asked.

 

Yunho shook his head. “Not once.” He replied.

 

“Wow.” Yoochun said. “You’re screwed hyung.”

 

Yunho sighed. “I know.” Came the reply.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A couple of days later, Jaejoong was sitting in Siwon’s office with Yoochun. Yoochun was filling up papers asking the court to contact Changmin who was turning 18 in a few days. After Yoochun signed the papers, he asked, “What happens now Siwon-shii?”

 

Siwon took the forms and said, “Well, if the court agrees, Changmin’s files will be opened and a confidential intermediary will then contact Changmin and ask if he is willing to meet with you. If he agrees, then a meeting can be arranged. Otherwise, he can refuse and that’s that.” Siwon answered.

 

Jaejoong nodded as he and Yoochun held hands praying that first of all, the court would agree to open the adoption files. After everything was done away with, Yoochun and Jaejoong stood and thanked Siwon. As they left his office Jaejoong doubled back and said, “Why don’t you go ahead and get the car. I think I left my umbrella back in Siwon’s office.” Jaejoong told Yoochun who nodded and did what he said.

 

After Yoochun left, Jaejoong knocked on Siwon’s door. After he heard a faint, “Come in.” Jaejoong opened it and stepped inside.

 

“Have you looked into what I asked you about?” Jaejoong asked Siwon.

 

Siwon nodded and opened a side drawer. Taking out an envelope, he said, “I had a private investigator look into what you asked for. This contains the information he was able to get.”

 

Jaejoong took the envelope and said, “Please don’t tell Yoochun. I don’t want to get his hopes up. I just want to know for myself which is why I even asked you to do this.”

 

“Don’t worry about it Jaejoong-shii. I understand why you asked me to do it. I just hope that you take all the information in there with a grain of salt.” He said.

 

Jaejoong nodded as he put the envelope in his bag. “I know Siwon-shii. And thanks for the concern. Truly.” He said as the other man nodded. “Drop by my restaurant soon so I can feed you at least.” Jaejoong said.

 

“I’ll hold you to that.” Siwon said with a smile as they bowed to say goodbye.

 

Jaejoong left the building and walked over to where Yoochun was waiting for him in the car. “Did you get your umbrella?” Yoochun asked as Jae sat in the passenger seat.

 

“Oh, I forgot that I didn’t bring one.” Jaejoong said laughing a bit nervously.

 

Yoochun smiled and said, “Like I said, you and Yunho hyung are getting old.”

 

Jae just smiled but didn’t say anything. Yoochun looked at him and cleared his throat. “Hyung, can I ask you something?”

 

“Hmm? Anything.” Jaejoong replied as he looked outside the window.

 

“Why have you never asked Leeteuk hyung where Yunho hyung was?” Yoochun asked.

 

Jaejoong didn’t reply immediately. Taking a deep breath he said, “I don’t want to talk about that Chun.”

 

Yoochun’s face fell. He loved his older brothers and it hurt him that they were both miserable. “Hyung I can’t imagine what it must have been like for you back then. When I lost you guys the pain was excruciating. When Yunho hyung came to me and said that he needed to leave so he can let you go, I cried. I begged him to stay and I said that he no longer had to worry about my feelings since I was going to leave for the States anyway.”

 

Jaejoong turned to Yoochun, a look of surprise on his face. Yoochun turned to look at Jaejoong and gave him a sad smile. “I was young hyung but I really did love you. Yunho hyung knew it then and I thought that maybe that was the reason why he decided to leave.”

 

“Oh Chunnie.” Jaejoong said as tears filled his eyes. “I’m so sorry for hurting you.”

 

“Don’t hyungie. I know now that Yunho hyung did something that I don’t think I’d have the strength to do.” Yoochun said. Jaejoong still didn’t reply but tears streamed down his face.

 

“You are the only one he’s ever loved hyung and it hurts me to see the two of you like this. I can see how you looked at Yunho hyung the other night and I know that you still have feelings for him.” Yoochun added.

 

Jaejoong sighed. “It’s complicated Chunnie.”

 

“It always is hyung.” Came Chunnie’s soft reply.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jaejoong got back to the restaurant right after lunch rush hour so the place was a bit empty. His crew was taking a break at the back and only Mickey was at the front cleaning up the tables keeping an eye at two high school students who were obviously on a date and cutting classes.

 

“Hey,” Jae said as he entered the restaurant.

 

“Oh, you arrived hyung.” Mickey said as he threw another glance at the young couple who were giggling in the corner.

 

Jae looked at Mickey in surprise as he looked around to peek at the young couple who were oblivious to them. “Anything happen while I was gone?” He asked.

 

Mickey turned to him again and said, “Not really. The lunch rush was busy but we managed. I think that the freezer in the back needs to be checked out though because it started making a noise this morning.”

 

Jae sighed and nodded as he reached over to pick a lint from Mickey’s shoulder. “Ah, that darn freezer acts up every three months. Remind me to tell Kyuhyun to check it out okay?” Jae said.

 

“Yeh, hyungnim.” Mickey said nodding as his gaze once again fell into the couple.

 

“Do you know them?” Jae asked.

 

Mickey’s gaze snapped back to his hyung, his cheeks tainted with red. “Uh, no… not really.” He said then turned and walked back quickly into the kitchen making sure to ignore the couple.

 

Jae looked at the young man’s back in surprise. Softly chuckling to himself he followed the young man into the kitchen but not before passing by the couple and asking them if they needed anything else. When they said that they were about to leave, Jae nodded just as Kyuhyun came from the kitchen bringing a set of placemats to set the tables with.

 

“Keep watch for me Kyu?” Jae asked.

 

“Neh, hyungnim.” Kyuhyun said as he headed to work on the tables.

 

Taking a deep breath before entering the kitchen, Jae watched as Mickey busied himself with the freezer to seemingly trying to find the cause of the noise. Jae cleared his throat and said, “Find what you’re looking for?” He asked.

 

Mickey turned to look at Jae and shook his head. Jae smiled. “Was she in your class?” Jae asked. Mickey didn’t say anything. Jae smiled again. “Well, I think she’s pretty.” He said.

 

Mickey sighed. “I don’t know what she sees in him.” He said.

 

Jae walked over and squeezed the young man’s shoulders then said, “Well if she doesn’t see it you then she’s blind.” He said before patting him on the back and heading upstairs to his room. Once alone, he ped his bag and removed the envelope that Siwon gave him and with a deep breath, opened it.

 

Biting his lower lip, Jae went through a few photographs of the singer Max. Some photos where of his younger days in school while others seemed to be recent. He was tall and a bit lanky. Unfortunately, Jae couldn’t really determine from he was Changmin or not.

 

Going through the other documents, he read that Max’s parents were both high school teachers. He had two younger sisters who were actually biological children of the couple. Another file folder contained some transcripts of interviews that the private investigator made of people who knew Max closely.

 

The private investigator made transcripts of interviews he made with Max’s teachers as well as the people he currently worked with. Jaejoong skimmed the transcripts and read stuff that were mostly said about Max in magazines or video clips online.

 

He did read carefully over the transcripts where the private investigator spoke with Max’s childhood friends. On one question where the private investigator asked a friend if he knew if Max had another name, the friend supposedly just shrugged and said, “We only know him as Max.”

 

Unfortunately, none of the documents contained information on whether Max was his real name or not. Since Max’s adoption papers were also closed, the closest information that Jaejoong could get was Max’s report cards in school. Apparently the boy was a good student. He got extremely good grades with almost all A’s and a random B+ once in a while.

 

Chewing his lower lip, Jae looked through the rest of the documents some containing information about Max’s hearing. According to his school health records, Max’s hearing was an inborn case. However, Jaejoong thought that his adoptive parents may have just decided to say that Max’s hearing was an inborn situation to avoid further questions later.

 

Sighing deeply, Jae laid on his bed gently massaging his temples as his head began to throb in pain. The restaurant was not going to be busy until the dinner rush but he needed to be downstairs to make sure everything was okay especially with the freezer acting up. But for a little while all he could do was hold a picture of Max as he held on to the key held by the chain around his neck.

******************************************************************************************************

First off let me thank all of you who commented. I was so exhausted but I certainly smiled a lot after reading your comments. I was traveling a total of 23 hours not counting layovers, etc. So all I'm doing now is fighting jetlag which is why I got to post this chapter today *throws yunjae confetti*

Second, the next chapter will be the last. Unfortunately I still haven't written it yet. I probably won't until I get a paper for school done (I've been delaying writing it for the past three weeks since I was traveling and all but now it's crunch time). This means that the last chapter won't be posted until next week (I'm sorry you guys). I will try my best to write my paper as fast as I can though. I really want to write the last chapter already because I just... gaaah!!! I won't say anything else cause I might say something I'm not supposed to XD

As you can see random SuJu members keep popping up. That really wasn't intentional. I just needed names so I thought why not SuJu? Lol.

Lastly, I'm toying with two new ideas for my next fic (I can't believe I'm starting a new one already). One is more fluffy than the other. I'm not very good with comedy so I'm not even going to try but I think fluff I'm good at (right? right? loool!!!). The other one has a bit of angst and will be sort of a cross between Rooftop Prince and Dr. Jin. Hahahahaha! I don't even know how I'm going to pull that off. Still, if it's YunJae I will definitely try. So, what do you think? Ah, I'm sorry I'm not giving you more but I'll try to post up a poll later. Maybe...

So, please leave me lots of comments so I will write my paper faster so I can write the last chapter okay? Thanks you guys!!!