Respite

Stand By You

“Objection, your honor.” Leeteuk posed calmly from his seat.

 

Jaejoong was amazed at how calm Leeteuk seemed when all he could think about at the moment was that he shouldn’t panic. Sadly, he did remember the conversation that occurred between him and Junsu because he was also shocked by the fact that apparently Junsu’s observation was true. He even went to Mrs. Park to talk to her about it.

 

“Sustained.” The judge said.

 

Truthfully, no matter how Jaejoong tried to stay on top of everything in the course of the trial, there were still times that he had no idea what was happening. All he knew was that so far, Leeteuk was doing a good job considering the average of sustains he got from the judge.

 

The legal aide that Leeteuk was speaking with earlier quietly handed him a manila folder and began whispering to him almost animatedly. Leeteuk just nodded silently then patted the aide on the back which made the aide smile. Jae hoped that it was something really good on their favor because the nurse’s statements were really damaging.

 

“I shall rephrase your honor. Miss Hwang, according to your statement then, Kim Jaejoong-shii’s brother was actually the one who discovered that little Changmin, an innocent child that for all intents and purposes is still a baby, has lost 90% of his hearing on his left ear is also now discovered to have an intellectual disability?” Siwon asked.

 

Jaejoong winced at the thought.

 

“It seems that way, yes.” The nurse agreed.

 

“No more questions your honor. Your witness.” Siwon said looking at Leeteuk straight in the eyes, a small smug smile crossing his face.

 

Leeteuk gave the younger man a small smile of his own, however, ended up surprising the latter when Leeteuk suddenly said, “No questions for this witness, your honor.”

 

Even the judge was surprised when he said, “Are you sure counsel?”

 

“I am sure, your honor.” Leeteuk said firmly.

 

“Well then counsel,” directing his attention to Siwon, “Do you have other witnesses to present?”

 

Siwon still reeling from Leeteuk’s sudden tactic answered, “Uh… no your honor. The plaintiff rests.” He said still looking at Leeteuk with wonder. The nurse’s statement was quite damaging to Yunho’s case now that the nurse has actually proven that neglect might have actually occurred since Changmin doesn’t even know how to talk.

 

Yunho even looked at Leeteuk in surprise, however, he totally trusted their lawyer. Giving Jae a glance, he gave him a tight smile, nodding his head as though willing the other to trust in Leeteuk as well. Jae nodded at him in return.

 

“Very well counsel. I am suspending the proceedings until tomorrow morning upon which time the respondents are given the opportunity to make their case.” The judge banged his gavel and left.

 

“Hyung.” Jae said as he approached Leeteuk and Yunho.

 

“Scary stuff huh.” Leeteuk said as he looked at Jae.

 

“Yunho, I am so sorry.” Jaejoong began after Leeteuk spoke.

 

Yunho looked at him with a puzzled look. “For what Jae?” he asked.

 

“Well, for what the nurse said. She… she was right.” He answered.

 

Yunho sighed. Taking Jaejoong’s hand, he bid Leeteuk farewell and promised to call him that evening for updates on the case. Making their way out of court, Yunho hailed a cab, told the driver where he wanted to go and and pulled a confused Jaejoong in it.

 

“Yunho, where are we going?” He asked.

 

“Just… I just… We need a time out.” Yunho said.

 

Jaejoong stilled, unsure of what to make of Yunho’s statement. “T-Time out?” He asked.

 

Yunho nodded as he let go of Jaejoong’s hand and looked outside the window.

 

Jaejoong’s face fell. He knew that the nurse’s statement could have possibly cost them the case. Leeteuk has definitely done his best to refute every charge thrown at them so far but this last one may be the last straw. Refusing to cry, Jae closed his eyes as he tried to calm his heart trying his best to see things from Yunho’s perspective. He can’t be too selfish to want more than he was already blessed with.

 

Yunho told the driver to park the car at the corner and they got out. Jae opened his eyes to see that they were at a park somewhere near the outskirts of town. He’s been there once as a child when Junsu wasn’t even born yet.

 

“So, here is where he’s going to breakup with me.” He mumbled to himself as he tried to ease the tightening in his chest.

 

Yunho headed over to Jae and they started to walk in companionable silence only the sound of the gravel crunching beneath their feet piercing through the quiet. This park is nice, Jae thought to himself as they walked underneath an arch made by the trees on both sides of the little gravel road. It led into a clearing where they saw some kids playing soccer in the distance as parents watched on the sidelines. A few couples where walking around, some had dogs with them.

 

Leading them towards a bench underneath a shady tree, Yunho sad and tugged on Jaejoong’s hand so that they were sitting together. Jae couldn’t help but feel sad at the thought that this was probably the first and last time that they would do something as a couple together and unfortunately it was going to end in goodbye. Steeling himself from the tears that were about to flow down his cheeks, Jae stifled a sniffle as a dropped his chin to his chest as his tears fell silently.

 

Yunho sighed and leaned over Jae surprising the latter when he put his head on Jae’s shoulder. “Y-Yunho?” He asked.

 

“I was so selfish.” Yunho began.

 

“W-What?” Jaejoong asked in surprise.

 

“I don’t remember how exactly you know.” Yunho said. “I just one day fell in love with you.” He added, a smile crossing his face as Jaejoong wiped at his tears. “Maybe it was when I realized how much you loved my brothers that I just couldn’t stop thinking about you. And I struggled, for a bit, I admit.” Yunho continued. “I’ve never fallen for anyone before and to fall in love with a guy… well, you can see where that led us.” He said in sad tone.

 

Jaejoong exhaled. He didn’t even realize that he was holding his breath since Yunho started to speak. Readying himself for Yunho’s next words, he closed his eyes as he prepared for the words about to come next.

Yunho straightened up and faced Jae, cupping the latter’s cheek as Jae opened his eyes and looked straight into Yunho’s. “I love you Jaejoong. You are the best thing that’s ever happened to me and my brothers and I need you to know that.” He said with all the sincerity he could muster.

 

“Yunho… I…” Jae began as he searched Yunho’s eyes.

 

“I know that this wasn’t what you bargained for when you took us on. Heck, if you knew how things were going to turn out you probably would have run away from us taking Junsu with you. But I am so glad that you took a chance on me, on us. I love you so much Jae and I promise that I will make it up to you for the rest of my life.” Yunho said as he began to wipe at the tears that now fell freely down Jaejoong’s cheeks.

 

Needless to say, Jaejoong was speechless. Here he was preparing himself for a breakup when Yunho suddenly leaned over and gave him the sweetest, most tender kiss of his life and all he could do was be thankful that he was already sitting for he would have surely fallen with how weak his knees felt.

 

Wrapping his arms around Yunho, Jae buried his face on the crook of Yunho’s neck as he cried, Yunho’s palms rubbing his back soothingly. “I’m so sorry that you’re hurting baby. I know that it’s been so hard on you and I wish I could make it better.” Yunho whispered.

 

Jae shook his head as he pulled back, a small smile crossing his tear-stricken face, “Pabo…” he said as he flicked Yunho’s forehead which made the latter smile. “I… I thought you were going to breakup with me.” He said.

 

A look of surprise crossed Yunho’s face. “What?!?” He exclaimed.

 

Jaejoong giggled as he tried to calm Yunho down. “Yah, you were being all sad and mysterious since we left the courtroom. And after that nurse’s statement about me not teaching Changmin, what was I supposed to think.” Jaejoong said in mock anger.

 

Yunho chuckled. “Sometimes I just don’t understand what goes on in your hear Jae.” He said. “I wanted to bring you here because I felt guilty that all that’s ever happened since we got together were bad things.” He said as he sat back and clasped Jaejoong’s hand in his, intertwining their fingers together. “I just wanted to give you a little break from everything that’s sad. My dad used to bring me and Yoochun to this park when we were young and so I have a lot good memories here. I guess I just wanted to add another one in this place with you in it.” He said glancing at Jae who was now biting his lower lip.

Smiling to himself, Jae leaned his head on Yunho’s shoulder and said, “I’ve been here when I was young too, before Junsu was born.”

 

“Yeah? That’s sad that we didn’t meet each other back then.” Yunho said with a smile.

 

“Ah… I don’t know that the Yunho back then would have liked me.” Jaejoong said.

 

“Really?” Yunho asked with a smile.

 

“Um… I was quite naughty as a child.” Jaejoong said, a small laugh escaping his lips.

 

Yunho sat up with a start. “You were?” He asked a smile crossing his lovely face.

 

Jaejoong laughed. “Hard to believe neh?”

 

“So… can I ask what naughty things you did?” Yunho asked wiggling his eyebrows at Jae suggestively.

 

“Nothing like that pabo.” Jae said, a bubble of laughter escaping his lips as he pushed at Yunho’s forehead away from his face.

 

Yunho laughed as he leaned on Jaejoong’s shoulder taking Jae’s hand once again in his. “This… is nice.” He said with a whisper.

 

“Mmm…” Jaejoong replied as leaned his head on Yunho’s, closing his eyes, thanking the deities for the small kindness they received that afternoon.

 

“And Jae, at the risk of breaking this spell, I just want you to know that what that nurse said was wrong. Even if you didn’t think to teach Changmin, you need to forgive yourself for that because baby, you’re not his mom.” Yunho said quietly.

 

Jae stiffened for a bit but Yunho held his grip a little tighter and forced Jae to listen. “Don’t get mad. You were doing your best to help me but baby, Changmin, as much as you love him is my responsibility, not yours. You are not his mother and therefore you are expected to make mistakes. Heck, I’m sure my parents weren't perfect and neither were yours. So, I need you to forgive yourself baby. Because unless you do, I’m not going to be able to forgive myself for the pain I’ve caused you.” Yunho said, a lone tear falling down his own cheek.

 

"Yunho... I... I love you." Jaejoong whispered.

 

Yunho leaned back on Jaejoong's shoulder again, his fingers intertwining with the latter. "I love you too Jae." He whispered. They stayed like that for a while letting tomorrow worry about itself as they watched the clouds go by.

**********************************************************************************************

hey all! so this isn't the chapter i was talking about (that would be in the next one). and although we didn't get to the 30+ comments on that last chap i thought i'd take Erikaoi's request and decided to throw an extra chapter in that didn't have all angst...

ugh, i'm trying my best to get this fic done before friday because come saturday i'm leaving for three weeks and i don't want you to have to wait that long for another update (if ever i don't finish it in time). technically, as far as i know, i'm only supposed to write two more chapters, one on thursday (maybe) and the next one on friday (hopefully). so hang on guys, we'll get this fic done soon and then i'll take my three weeks off and come back with a mini-series that's been bugging me for a while now. it will be yunjae but maybe i'll write a one-shot yoosu (fingers crossed) somewhere along the way.

comments please!!!