Two Hands Intertwined I

Anew

Seohyun felt light on her feet as she walked out her van, remembering to thank her manager before leaving. Although the memory of yesterday was still as fresh as the snow that slushed beneath her boots, she felt as though it had been any normal day.

 

Or maybe that's how she wanted to feel.

She could picture Kris' music sheets already scattered across the floor, his laptop atop a small stool, and the very man himself pacing slowly across the room. She was against this fit of a mess of course, and cleaned them every fifteen minutes just to find them where he had left them.

She gave up at that point, and just let it be.

She pictured the wrinkles in his forehead, his hat positioned backwards so the brim hits down almost to the nape of his neck. He said he couldn't concentrate without his hat, which was something she didn't want to question nor know about. His lips habitually parted whenever he concentrated, and his concentration unfazed even as she entered the room.

She entered the lobby now and was about to reach for the escalator when she felt a pull on her arm. She almost yelled until the perpetrator launched right in front of her.

 

"Kris-sshi? What are you doing?", she exhaled in relief, and wondered how evenly her words were able to sound.

"The practice room is locked."

It was early morning and hardly anybody walked the white enclosure of the large lobby. It was five in the morning, so it made perfect sense that some practice rooms might have been locked. "We can ask for the keys from the reception. If not, we can find any other practice room that-

"No. I mean it's locked. Locked out for us to use."

She stared at him for a few minutes, ready to tell him he might have been imagining things until his expression started to settle on her. It might have been the 'penalty' they had to pay for the big debacle that occurred the other day. Seohyun ran her fingers through her loose hair, and exhaled a great deal. "All of them?"

Kris merely nodded. "There's a place I know we can practice."

Seohyun glanced at the little dainty wristwatch that sat on her wrist, and turned to look at him puzzled. "Will it be open at this hour? It's so early"

"The earlier the better", he swung his arms into his jacket, zipping it up to brace the cold outside. "Before reporters flock the entrance."

That was true. By now, news of Kris' absence should have spread like wildfire. After all, the power of the media should never be underestimated. "Where are we going?"

She followed him through a back entrance of the lobby, that lead to the inner parking lot of the company building. It was almost empty, if a sole car parked conveniently next to the door. It was a taxi, Seohyun realized. But she paused before exiting the narrow hallway that lead to the parking lot. "Isn't going into a taxi a bit.."

"Risky?" Kris stood by the door, keeping it ajar, until he reached out to drag Seohyun by her hand. They couldn't possibly lose any more time than they already have. "We've taken that route a long time ago."

 

---

 

It was still dark outside, but the snow from yesterday quickly brightened the dark morning. It shone and glistened under the dim yellow lights that lighted their path, mountains of them forming an endless road of their own. The cold air that hurtled the empty streets made silent howls through the glass, as if desperately insisting for attention of the younger girl.

Obstacle after obstacle. Her mind roamed with what they should do next, how they should get started. So much has been happening within such a short span of time, it was hard to gather her thoughts.

Kris opened her door of the taxi, acting unexpectedly gentlemanly when she hadn't responded to him. She apologized in a slight shade of red, and thanked the driver before following him out. She hadn't really thought of where they were going and maybe she should have asked. This street in particular seemed rather old and musky, and her doubt immediately clouded her face when Kris entered a small white building.

 

 

Kris seemed to have noticed this, and waited for her to catch up to him. The building itself looked almost torn from the harsh weather, but had sturdy lines of windows spanning the outside for each floor. As she entered the building, the lobby was also a pale, bleak shade of white, matching its exterior in perfect harmony. She noticed however, that the stairwell leading upwards was brightly coloured in pastel yellow. It oddly stood out amidst walls of white, but it seemed to be the most welcoming aspect of their morning.

The further they went up, the more different its impression became. Each mount of stairs were coloured in a different color, and papers scrawled with crayons began to appear more frequently. "Welcome!" They screamed. More and more of them lined the walls until they reached the last upmost floor.

 

Now, she realized where they were.