Behind It All

Anew

The snow continued it's reign the next day. It feathered lightly to the ground, unlike the previous night. All that was left that cold morning were now the remnants of the other day. 

 

Remnants.

 

Kris yawned despite the difficulty in trudging against the snow, as he made his way back to the dorm. He refused to take the company van on the way back, and was practically inarguable. He had been like this since his trainee days. On the morning of the first snow day of winter, he walked outside. Nobody knew why and nobody could ask. Not that he was up to telling them anyway. 

 

"Mom?" he rubbed his eye tiredly and immediately scurried towards the backyard. As expected, she was outside. She stood huddled in her thin cardigan, obviously feeling the cold through her skin, but continued to look straight at the sky anyway.

She looked down at her little boy and smiled as he approached her. She tamed his cute little bed hair and wiped his face a little. He was so young then. He was so loveable, and like any child, a gem. He unbottened his flanel, and tried to put it on her shoulders. But with how small he was back then, it barely covered her.

She laughed heartily, and squeezed him tight. "My little boy is all grown up"

He flushed and remembered what he had seen on TV. He thought it was a man's duty to protect the girl he loved. He looked at his mother, and knew he had to protect her. He must. 

"Kris-ah", his mother smoothed down his hair, and brought him closer to her. "Let's stay out here a little longer okay?"

 

His mom had never really told him why they stood out there year after year. But not that she needed to.

 

"Mom!" he ran to her and tugged her by her sleeve. But she remained unmoved. Her gaze was fixed on the sky, but with a little smile forming on her lips to acknowledge his presence. "Mom, it's cold today. The weather forecast said there may be a blizzard within a few hours. School got cancelled. Let's go inside okay?"

Finally his mom looked at him. He was only in high school, but he had grown a whole lot. His dark hair fell messily on his face, and despite the cold, sweat trinkled down his forehead. He couldn't look at her any longer. Despite the smile that graced her lips, her eyes looked empty. Why were they always like that?

"Mom, why do you do this every year? Come on, let's go inside." It was the first time he asked her that question. But would she answer him?

His mom shook her head weakly, and continued to stay glued to the ground. She looked so lonely and he hated it. He was right there. But it was as if she couldn't see him.

"Mom! Stop! Dad won't come back even if you do this every year!"

She finally met him in the eye, with her eyes widened with shock. But he didn't care. He had had enough. It was too painful seeing her like that. He ran out the house, and heard his mom last shout. 

"Kris-ah!"

 

 

"Hyung"

D.O nudged him a little as they made their way to a music show. He had been spacing out ever since he had come back that morning. He placed a box on his lap, and pointed at it. "You didn't eat breakfast"

Kris finally turned to him, and then to the lunchbox on his lap. He wasn't hungry. But before he could lift the box off his lap, D.O firmly pushed it down. "I don't really know what you like, but I packed kimbap. It will fill your stomach for now"

The others stared eagerly at him, and to their surprise, he slowly began to eat. It was unlike him and quite unexpected. If anything, that was probably the first time he had tasted D.O's cooking.

"It's my treat after the show" Suho called. "To Korean barbeque"

He ignored the cheers that echoed the vehicle, and met Kris' gaze from the rear-view mirror. "Thanks for taking care of Chanyeol-ah, hyung"

Kris continued to eat, as if it was left unheard. The others threw glances at him but allowed the silence to continue. It was not like most days. The silence they felt was not awkward, nor was it uncomfortable. 

For the first time, the air in the vehicle felt light. 

 

 

"What are you guys doing here?" Chanyeol's eyes widened as one by one, they entered the room. Kai held up the goods and Chanyeol's face immediately lit up into a wide smile. "Of course you guys wouldn't-"

When Kris entered the room, he suddenly stopped. The others realizing this, enjoyed the giraffe's surprised expression. It was the first time he had visited with their members. In other words, it was the first time they were all together. 

Suho began to set up a couple of chairs, while the others took out the food. "If we were to eat we might as well do it together"

Chanyeol immediately beamed and broke into an applause. "You are indeed our leader!"

As the others were busy either setting themselves down or digging into their food, Chanyeol took this opportunity to get up. He took his share and immediately plopped down the ground that faced his hospital bed. Kris shifted away a little, but the gap was closed once more as Chanyeol inched closer to him. "Hyung, Seohyun noona visited me earlier today"

Kris sighed and shook his head. "And why are you telling me this?"

Chanyeol hit him lightly on the arm, which earned him a threatening glare from the elder as if to say "don't you dare". But he ignored it and persisted. This time, whispering devilishly into his ear. "She told me about the chocolate milk. Hyung you're a genius!" Chanyeol nudged him teasingly, until Kris' eyes darted lasers at him as if to tell him to stop. 

"But hyung, isn't it 8 o'clock already? What if she's waiting for you? Hyung that's not right! You shouldn't keep a girl wa-"

"You!" Kris suddenly pounced at him, with his chopsticks threateningly held out infront of the younger's face. Chanyeol backed away immediately, and chowed his food down ever so innocently. "It's proper etiquette hyung", he mumbled. 

When he finally calmed down, Chanyeol crept up beside him again, stubbornly trying to continue. "Did you check the building after what happened yesterday hyung? What if she's alone and-"

He immediately stood up this time when he sensed Kris would attack him again. But like the little troublemaker he was, he couldn't help but make the final say before he left. "Hyung it's almost 9 o'clock" 

Kris shot a glare at him, which Chanyeol skillfully avoided by scurrying his way towards Kai. He took hold of his chopsticks again, and just continued to eat. "I told her to leave it there, not wait for me there"

 

 

Okay as much as this may be disappointing to many, i'm sorry this was probably not to your liking. I wanted a little more of a backstory on Kris, adding a little more to his past as well as a little mystery. I'm sorry I haven't been posting so frequently. I was stuck, I admit. Yet again. However, I hope you don't give up on me! I hope you kind of liked the little EXO moments here though. They're cuties.
Thank you for taking time out of your day in reading my fanfic! <3 I love each and every one of you! You guys are so supportive! If you hated/loved this chapter, please let me know! <3 i'll be willing to listen to you guys! <3 Have a great day guys! <3