First Snow

Anew

"Where are we?" Seohyun cluelessly spun her head around trying to survey her unknown surroundings. They just turned a corner, escaping the main city streets, and began walking through the narrow roads in between houses. She didn't really know how long it had been since they've begun walking, but they've completed quite a distance. By that time, it was completely pitch black if not for the street lights above her, and the cold wind basked the winter night. 

She curled her jacket closer to her, trying to fight off the cold wind whipping through her thin frame. If there was anything about winter she hated the most, it was the dreadful wind. It could seriously slash through her and it was no joke. "He really knows his way around.." she glanced a look at Kris, who continued to walk silently. He hadn't said a word after they had left the hospital. Not that she was expecting him to say anything really. 

They've both come to a conclusion that it was just natural to have an awkward silence loom over them. She shifted a little at the cold breeze, and sniffed. It's the first day of winter. How can it be so cold?

"I was wrong... About before"

She broke the silence that naturally connected them a bit suddenly, that it almost seemed Kris had paused for a minute. However, he continued to walk. "I'm sorry about the things i've said to you earlier". But as if it was left unheard of, Kris just naturally continued to walk infront of her. Did he not hear her?

"It's alright", he finally replied.

She smiled a bit in relief, and exhaled. She noticed him make another turn, and she scurried her way to catch up to him. But once she turned the corner, she almost shrieked when she unknowingly collided into someone, stopping her dead on her tracks. She stumbled back in surprise, and was about to murmur an apology, when he spoke. 

"You didn't really expect me to say that did you?" 

Kris turned around, and watched her almost amusingly as she rubbed her nose from the collision. He smirked smugly at her before he continued to walk. "That scared me!", she complained frustratedly and stomped her way behind him. It was almost as if he was playing with her now. But then again, she couldn't really blame him for not accepting her apology. 

"Okay, do it", she voiced. They were now out in the open, and walked along a road fenced near Han river. She noticed the pathway was used for cycling mainly, as many cyclists and joggers whizzed past them. Kris looked at her in confusion, becoming even more confused when he realized how serious she looked. "Do what?"

Seohyun stomped her way towards him, still evidently annoyed by that little incident earlier, and stood tall and firm before him. "Criticize me. Do it. Do the same thing I did to you as loud as you want. We can call it even"

Despite her being so serious, he actually wanted to laugh. He stared down at her amusingly, and was fascinated by how red her nose was since she bumped into him. He couldn't take her seriously. He forced back his laugh, and just continued to walk. "Over here?"

She caught up to him at his side and nodded. "Of course here. The whole of Seoul can hear you so we can call it even!"

Is she even serious? He looked at her dumbfoundedly. She can't possibly think he'd actually do that right? But her eyes said otherwise. She looked completely serious and determined, and there was not a hint of joking. Her dough-like eyes stared back furiously at him, which was almost intimidating.

He'd look like a drunk bastard if he tried to bash her. Where exactly did she get her determination from? And why is she always so determined anyway?

 

"Oh", Seohyun looked up at the sky as it continued to fall. She let out her hand, and watched the snow fall unsettlingly on her palm. "It's snowing...?"

 

Kris followed her gaze and looked at the sky as well. "It's only the first day of winter and it's already snowing?" he heard her say. It was almost strange for snow to greet the first day of winter. But nonetheless, she loved it. She beamed childishly as she continued to observe the little snowflakes settling on her palm. It was the first snow, and it marked the first white day of winter. 

 

"Chocolate milk"

 

Seohyun glanced at Kris, and was surprised to find him looking at her. This time, he wasn't really glaring at her unlike most times they made eye contact. It was softer than usual, and it seemed unlike him. Was it because of the snow?

"Drop it infront of practice room 113, at 8.00pm", he sighed and continued walking ahead of her. She blinked confusedly behind him, and grabbed the back of his shirt to stop him. "What do you mean chocolate milk?"

"Your form of compensation", he shrugged her hand away and just continued again, while she jogged behind him to catch up to him. "Deliver chocolate milk everyday for three weeks then we're even"

"But why can't you just criticize me-

"Because it will not be the same if I do it out in an empty place like this", he motioned towards their empty surroundings, "while you did it infront of a whole crowd of people, right?"

Seohyun nodded. But was chocolate milk really okay for him to accept her apology? She didn't need to worry about costs since it often gets delivered in front of her house every day so that was good. But if that's what he wanted... "Three weeks isn't so bad.."

She began to trail behind him again, and just followed him. It was like a solid formation they always maintained and never broke. It was snowing harder now, and she realized the cyclists from earlier had stopped and began to head home. She looked in front of her and at that moment, began to realize how broad Kris' shoulders were. His frame was also big and sturdy, and he seemed even taller from behind. Was he always that tall? "You could become a basketball player..."

 

"What?" Kris whirled around to be greeted with Seohyun's mouth left widely agape, while staring at him. He shifted uncomfortably as her gaze just openly shifted here and there, studying him. "I m-mean you're tall", she pointed out embarrassingly. She snapped out of her little trance and began walking. "You seem like you can do well in basketball"

Kris' gaze fell on himself, almost studying himself in a bit of a daze. Eye brow raised, he turned around and continued walking again.

"Your exam". His gaze fell elsewhere, and continued. "How-

 

"My exam"

 

Seohyun completely forgot about it with all that had happened that night. She was supposed to practice but... "It's tomorrow..." her head dropped low, and she sulked her way towards him. Kris scratched his head awkwardly, and walked alongside her. They were nearer now, and they were now at the park Kris had stopped by earlier that day. He found the bench he had partially damaged, but ignored it and sat anyway. Seohyun followed him, sitting silently, while drowning herself in her own thoughts. 

"You're missing something", he pointed out. Seohyun looked up at him but he ignored it and continued. "Your eyes"

"M-my eyes?" 

"Your lines and your eyes are supposed to speak separately for themselves", he faced her, looking at her straight into the eye. "Your lines speak of your emotion, but your eyes don't clearly show your state" he simply explained. "This woman is desperately trying to convince her husband she had done no wrong. But your eyes show nothing of it"

He knew the play? He had only helped her once, and it wasn't in any lines that significantly told of the entire story. But she had to say, she was impressed. "So if I try to picture someone important to me while saying my lines would that work?"

"So like my parents....", she wondered a bit and turned at him. "Will that work?"

Kris didn't know what to say. Was she being serious? He looked over at her and surprisingly saw her completely serious. She never really joked did she?

"Of course not", he sighed. "Your parents are completely different from your supposed husband"

"But they're both people I love", she countered. "Why can't I?"

"Because the love-

Wait, was he seriously trying to explain this to her? He shook his head and glanced at her. Wasn't it obvious that they were completely different? 

"W-wait! Continue!" Seohyun sprung upward, and raced towards him, as he began walking again. 

 

She didn't get it. What was the differece when they'll both be important to her?

 

Isn't it one and the same?

 

 

SIGH. I was expecting more from this chapter, but it didn't turn out as planned. Unexpectedly, this chapter was quite the hurdle. I can promise you I was not trying to half- this chapter. It juts turned out more disappointing and rather unsatisfactory for me. But I dont know. Tell me what you guys think. What did you hope would happen in this chapter? I'll try to improve on the next one. Nonetheless, SEOHYUN IS SO INNOCENT GUYS. She's just too cute. I'm glad I was able to make a bit of Seokris interaction though. Please let me know about your thoughts on this chapter! It would be great!