A Family [At Least] (19th Episode)

The Edge Of Us

Minho's POV

The show has ended a few minutes ago. I changed my outfit and came to the girls' room. At the time I was about to come in, I bumped to Yuri nuna and smiled to her.

"Do you have to go now?" I asked her.

"Yeah. I have another schedule after this."

"Arraseo. See you later~" I patted her back and messed her hair.

"Yah, don't forget that we have another practice tomorrow. Don't be late, okay? Annyeong!" She waved to me and I waved back to her.

When I saw Hae Jin, she was looking at someone else then I heard she said, "Abeoji, where are you going?"

I gulped really hard when I saw that person, that someone's face. He's my father.

I didn't want to approach him, but at the same time I wanted to tell Hae Jin too that he's dangerous to her. But oh well.., my wife is so stubborn.

"Are you looking for Minho Oppa?" She asked him and then she looked at me as she smiled at me. "Oppa, your dad just came to see you! How sweet is this? Aigoo, I envy you!" She said to me.

She approached me first, grabbed my hand, and took me to talk to my dad face to face.

"Yah, you have to greet him!" She elbowed my arm and stared at me.

"Annyeonghaseyo. I'm Choi Minho." I said half-heartedly.

That guy just smiled at me. Something in him telling me that I shouldn't do this. And I couldn't look into his eyes, because I always see his personality as my father through those eyes. I hate it because I have the same eyes with him. Whenever I look his eyes, it feels like I'm looking into myself. It's so hard to hate him, but it's so hard to act like we're a family too.

He was the one who taught me so many things with his wise words. And he's the one who breaks my heart into pieces like this.

"Ah, abeoji, where are you going to go?" She asked him.

"I've said to you, we have to act like a stranger when we bumped to each other again. And I don't think you understand my words."

I wanted to punch him on his face. I felt my fist clenched. "Do-"

"Oh, come on, Abeoji! Minho isn't your only child! I'm your child too, right? Since I'm his wife." She cut my words and grinned.

That guy just stayed silent and me too.

Then suddenly Hae Jin grabbed his hand too, and looked at him happily. "I just remember. Minho and I wanted to ask you to eat dinner with us, and of course with his mom, your wife! Woah. Today would be a great day, then."

"Wait- I-I have to go n-"

"No, no, no. You don't have to go anywhere. I know it, you're obviously lying. You'll come with us and have a dinner with your wife too." She said to him.

"But-"

"Right, Minho Oppa?" She cut my words again with her puppy eyes. "A dinner won't hurt you, right? You have to think about your mom too."

And before I could say anything, she grabbed both of our hands and took us to my car. Even she was the one who bid a goodbye to the Manager hyung.

She sat at the second row, and she made my dad sat next to me as I driving my car.

That was a total silent in the car when we were on our way back home.

And when we have arrived at my house, Hae Jin got out first and knocked the door.

She opened the car's door for my dad but not for me.

And when my mom opened the door, she saw Hae Jin in front of her.

"Eomonim!" Hae Jin greeted her with her smile. "I brought someone with us. Ta-da!" She took my dad's hand behind her back and moved him to the front.

Of course, my mom shocked when she saw her husband clearly and face to face after years.

"O-Omo!" She closed and her eyes widened in shock.

"I think Abeoji wants to eat dinner with us. You're okay with that, right?" She asked my mom with a smile on her face.

"Ye-Yeah..," My mom hesitantly nodded her head and welcomed us.

She immediately cooked the dinner for us and Hae Jin helped her too.

"How's the filming?" I heard my mom asked Hae Jin.

"It was good. I think I was not nervous because I've ever done that before with Taemin Oppa. And I met Yuri Unnie too."

"Umma, don't you want to ask your son too?" I joined their conversation.

"Yah, you should take a bath first before you eat. And after that, you may play soccer or basketball."

"It's not interesting to play alone."

"Y-You could play with your dad, then."

It's not the best answer I've ever heard.

I know it would be awkward.

"Hmm." I just mumbled and then went to my room. I guess I should take a bath now.

***

Hae Jin's POV

Minho Oppa went to his room, and now his mom is looking at me. I think she wants to make Minho Oppa get closer with his dad.

It didn't take him too long to go out from his room with a new fresh scent because he just took a bath. Then he went to the small field at the back of our house. We could only see him in distance through the window. But luckily, we could still hear his voice from here.

"You should come with him too," His mom murmured to her husband.

"Abeoji, Eomonim was talking to you. Why don't you approach your son?" I looked at him and he just sighed.

"This is not happening. This is too far from what I've imagined. This is so wrong."

"What's so wrong about visiting your own wife? It's not like you're flirting with other girls, right? You're too old for that." Eomonim exploded.

"But I don't think I should be here."

"Then why do you keep following him around, stalking him like a sasaeng fan? You must have some secrets that I don't know. But, whatever your reasons are, I'm sure one of them will tell you that you want to see your son so, so bad. A father can't let a day passed just like that without seeing his awesome son. Right? However, you're still his father and my father-in-law."

It took a moment for him to realize what I said. Then he stood up, took his jacket and followed Minho Oppa to the small field at the back of this house.

"You're not going to play alone, are you?" I heard Abeoji said to Minho Oppa.

"But you can't play sports."

"Who says? I was a sports teacher after I left home."

Minho Oppa looked at him in disbelief.

"Well.., I don't really know about basketball but..., I was a soccer trainer in an elementary school." Abeoji said and he grabbed the basketball from Minho Oppa's hand.

The game just started.

"I bet you didn't know that." Abeoji smirked.

"Of course. I didn't even see your nose after you left home." Minho Oppa said as he tried to grab the ball back.

"No, I showed myself to you. I followed you around, and I know you saw me too. But I didn't approach you, so you didn't approach me too. We just see each other in distance and you hate me because of nothing."

Suddenly Minho Oppa grabbed the ball from Abeoji and tried to shoot it.

"How could you say "leaving us alone for years" as nothing?!"

But the ball didn't enter the ring. He failed.

"I'm sorry. I know I can't deny that. I'm sorry because I was so stupid." Abeoji grabbed the ball from him. "But don't you think you should listen to my explanation first?" He shot the ball and it entered the ring.

"You should calm down yourself before doing something. I know I'm not good myself, but people always can say many good things to the other people who are in trouble because they don't feel what the others feel at the moment."

Minho Oppa grabbed the ball once again, and dribble it quite many times. "So, tell me. What did I miss?"

"I left home because your grandma passed away. My mom passed away."

"Oh. I didn't even know that I had a grandma."

Suddenly Abeoji used his strength and his body to make Minho Oppa fall and grabbed the ball.

He played with his body.

"I didn't know that I have a really annoying son."

Minho Oppa grimaced in hurt and he stood up with his hands supported his body.

"I didn't know that the sadness took you to a jerk person until you couldn't visit us in years. You left us."

Minho grabbed the ball, shot it once, and the ball entered the ring.

Once the ball came to the ground, Minho Oppa grabbed it again, and shot it again, and the ball entered the ring once again.

He did that for 3 times in a row.

"See, they have the same personality." Eomonim beside me, who was still preparing for the food, looking at this scene and whispered to me slowly. "Both of them don't want to lose. Really, really a competitive guy. There's no "lose" in their dictionary."

"Even to girls?" I asked Eomonim.

"His dad, yeah. Minho himself, no. I taught Minho to respect the girls and women for a long time. He shouldn't act like his father. At least he couldn't be that competitive to a girl. It's not good too for him, and it could hurt the girls' pride too. You know, because people see girls are weaker than the boys. So I told him not."

I nodded my head and tried to focus on their game again.

"Later if you're free, I hope you could visit her. I'll tell you the address." Abeoji took his drink and cooled down. "You'll meet someone you missed for a long time in there."

Minho looked so confused. But he let himself rest for a while.

"Don't judge a person just because they made a mistake. It means you don't and won't open your heart for something new. You can't be like that." Abeoji said. "Took your mom when you decide you want to go there. However, my mom was her mom too."

***

All of us sat down on the chair. We looked at the delicious dishes that cooked by Eomonim intensely. We're avoiding each others' eyes.

So I sat in front of Eomonim, and Minho Oppa sat beside me. Abeoji sat beside Eomonim, and there's Minho Oppa in front of him.

It's really awkward.

Neither of us tried to break the awkwardness.

"Thank you for the food, Eomonim. They're really good, as usual. No wonder why Minho Oppa likes to eat your dishes instead of mine." I said and smiled playfully to Eomonim.

"I'll teach you how to cook like me. But I think you should sleep after this. I'm sure you're tired, right?"

"Aniyo. You must be more tired than me." I said to her. "Do I really have to sleep in here?"

"Yeah, of course. You'll sleep with Minho, right?" She gazed at her own son and Minho just mumbled around.

I tried to ignore him, then looked at Abeoji. I took some beefs and put them on his plate. "Abeoji, you should eat the beef too. Please eat well," I said after I saw his confused eyes.

Minho Oppa finished his meal first. Then he headed right towards his room.

"Minho-ya, don't forget that you should clean up your room right now because Hae Jinnie is going to sleep on your bed too." I almost choked out the food inside my mouth. I looked at Minho Oppa and he just sighed then entered his room quietly.

Well, if he doesn't like it, then I could sleep on the couch, though.

"And you...," Eomonim said to Abeoji.

I think this is the first time they talk to each other since a long time ago.

"....Sleep here too. We have an extra room since Hae Jinnie's going to sleep with Minho. And it's almost midnight, I'm afriad if something bad happens to you on the way home. Just sleep here and I'll set you free tomorrow morning." Eomonim said and he left the table to the kitchen and washed the dishes.

I helped her too, but then Abeoji left us to that one extra room. He left us in a silence.

Well, now I know where did Minho get his cold personality from.

Because even his dad didn't even say a goodnight to us.

Like father, like son.