Mom's Birthday

The Edge Of Us

Minho's POV

From the cafe, we headed to the market and bought the ingredients. We're on the way home and Hae Jin suddenly stopped me from driving.

"Why, why?"

"I want to drive..."

"Well...," I didn't know what to say. We're in the middle of traffic light, but still, it feels uncomfortable to-

"Let's change our seat."

...change our seat.

"But, Hae Jin, I'm driving right n-"

"Oppa, I'll drive. Don't worry, you'll sit beside me." Then she opened the door and walked to driver's side.

"Arraseo, arraseo." I sighed. I opened the door right after she knocked the window at my side. She happily sat on the driver's seat and I sat beside her with all of my nervous in me. I don't want to die too soon. I still want to have a child...

But we changed our seat anyway.

"Okay, slowly. Slowly, start the engine slowly." I said. "You don't need to rush, just slowly."

"Arraseo, Oppa. You just have to trust me. I even drove the car by myself when I went to the cafe earlier. It was alright."

"It was. And now I'm even more nervous because I'm just sitting here and couldn't help you anything. I'm not helping at all."

"I thought you're nervous because you worried about your safety."

"That too." I laughed slightly.

I still can't trust her completely but I think she has shown her best for the first time in things that's new for her. Even though she almost bumped into another cars a few times, it doesn't matter anymore because luckily it didn't happen. She just need to practice and be more careful next time.

And after a long time nervous in the car, we arrived at our appartment. She happily headed to the kitchen.

Oh, man...

***

"Oppa, you shouldn't mix the ingredients too harsh!"

"Oppa, you should taste this first!"

"Oppa, you can't add too much sugar!"

"Oppa, can't you measure the temperature? It shouldn't be this high!"

"Oh, Oppa, this is too salty. Did you add salt or sugar?!"

And else.

I can't even count how many times she has used her high tone. I can't even count how many times she nagged at me just because of the...

Cake.

"Yah, this is my first time. You should understand me!"

"That's why I need to tell you what's wrong and what's right."

"But you didn't tell me what I've done right."

"Because you haven't done right." I pouted.

"The world will make a big news and it'll say "SHINee's Minho baked a cake for the first time." And you should proud!"

"What proud," She made a tsk sound. "Nah, the cake is ready!"

I could smell a fresh new cake from the oven. The cake looked so delicious, thanks to Hae Jin.

Because I just disturbed her all the time.

"Is it cook or not? Can I taste it?"

"Yah, you don't want to give your mom a half-shaped cake, right?!"

"But-"

"No. You can't taste this." Hae Jin shook her head and took the cake away from me.

I pouted but still, I have to help her to decorate the cake. With whipped(?) cream, chocolates, and candles.

"Call your mom and tell her that we're gonna come over." She told me as she gazed at my phone.

"If I call her, then she'll know that we're going to surprise her. It won't be a surprise anymore."

"Ah...," She nodded her head. "You're right... I'll call my mom instead."

Then she took off her apron and took her phone.

She pressed the speed dial, I saw number 1, then I heard someone's answering from the other side.

"Hae Jinnie~"

"Yeoboseyo, umma? Umma, have you visited Minho's mom? Today is her birthday."

"Of course I have! I just came back home, from her house. Have you?"

"Ah, I'm going to visit her house with Minho Oppa later."

Then she elbowed me and it looked like she was telling me I should say something to her mom.

"A-Annyeonghaseyo, eomonim! I'm Choi Minho.." I said hesitantly. "Thank you for visiting my mom earlier. She must have been felt really lonely."

"No problem, no problem. It's not a big deal. Beside, I'm still her friend and I'm your mom too. I'm your mother-in-law, remember?"

"Ne, eomonim." I said. "If that so, then I think we should get ready. Do you mind me if I end the call first?"

"No, of course I don't mind. Come on, you have to get ready, right?"

"Ah, yes. Annyeonghaseyo, eomonim. Have a nice day!"

"Annyeong, umma! I'll call you later!" Hae Jin added then I ended the call.

"Kajja! The cake is ready!" Hae Jin said as she put the cake into the box and I handed her phone back.

***

Hae Jin's POV

He drove me with our new car to his mom's house. We arrived earlier than we expected, but we still don't know whether his mom is at home or going out.

"What if she went to somewhere and left the house just like that?" I asked Minho Oppa.

"Well, it means we should go home again."

"Tsk. That's why I told you to call her first, Oppa."

He didn't bother to reply. He opened the door with his own key and so we could came in.

He came in first, then he looked at me as he put her finger in front of his mouth. He's telling me to not make any sound. I think his mom is at home.

"Umma, happy birthday!"

"Eomonim, happy birthday!" I said in unison with Minho Oppa.

"Yah, kids!" Eomonim greeted us in surprised.

"Umma, we're not kids anymore." He said as he hugged her mom tightly.

"Aigoo, my daughter-in-law~" His mom pushed him and hugged me too.

"Umma, but I'm your son..."

"I've seen you so many times through the TV. I think I miss Hae Jin more." Minho pouted and I swear it's so cute.

We celebrated eomonim's birthday and we're eating together right now.

It feels so comfortable and warm. She's just like my mom. We can talk anything comfortably and it's like there's no secrets between us.

But then, she suddenly broke the warm feeling between us with a question,

"Both of you, when will you guys give me a grand child? Hmm? When will I hold a baby again after I held Minho for years ago? I meant  I want to hold your baby."