Him

Parallel Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seunghyun watched out of the corner of his eyes as Bom fixed her hair in a small pocket mirror. He didn't want to admit to her that he thought she looked incredible. It would make him seem like he was interested. She closed the mirror, smiling as she noticed him look away.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing," Seunghyun muttered.

"You look great in a tux. Jiyong has been texting me about it non-stop. He's asking me for your measurements."

"This Jiyong guy," Seunghyun looked at her, "He's a bold one."

"That he is," Bom giggled, smoothing out her dress. She turned to watch out the window in silence at the big city disappeared, replaced by a stretch of grassy highway.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"My family's estate, like I said. Where I grew up," Seunghyun answered bluntly.

"So, you weren't always a city kid?"

"I was born outside of Gwangju. My mother raised me by herself until I was four years old, while my father was out doing some major project in China," Seunghyun explained, "When he returned, he moved us out here into the house he had inherited from my grandmother after she passed. It's a family thing. The house has been passed down every generation."

"Do you get the house, then?"

"No, my sister does. I'm not a very big fan," a smile played at his lips, "My mother used to tell me that it's because I had gotten terribly lost in it when I was six. She said that she found me in a closet, crying my eyes out. Apparently the experience left an impression on me."

"Your mother seems sweet," Bom smiled, "Will I get to meet her?"

"No," Seunghyun ended the conversation there, not wanting to talk about his mother.

He pulled up next to the large estate, all clean and lit up. Piano music and soft laughter could be heard from inside, flooding Seunghyun with memories of all the birthday parties he had spent in a place like that, rather than the game of laser tag he had always wanted. There were already a few cars parked outside, each far more luxurious than the last. Seunghyun looked to Bom, who’s mouth was open as she stared at the house wide-eyed.

“You grew up here?” she said softly, “Why in the hell are you working as a bartender when you’ve got such a great like here?”

“You’re about to find out,” Seunghyun got out of the car, opening the passenger side door and gesturing out. Bom wobbled slightly as she got out of the car, but quickly straightened herself out end held her head up high and confident. Seunghyun smiled, knowing that she wouldn’t be questioned if she kept it up. He led her inside, where billionaires twice their age were in small circles, gossiping and discussing life and business. People would constantly come up to Seunghyun and pat him on the back, congratulating him for something they probably didn’t even know about.

Chaerin spotted him from the dining hall, holding her skirt so she wouldn’t trip over it as she rushed towards him. She was dressed in the beautiful blue evening gow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter