Him

Parallel Lines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seunghyun pursed his lips, his finger curling around the cold steel trigger as he waited for the figure to come out into the open. He was perched up on the balcony, holding tight onto a sleek, silenced rifle. Once the shadowy figure came out into the clear, he fired one shot, knocking it over. He sat up and huffed, waiting for the two men in sharp business suits below him to come to a conclusion. A beautiful blonde stood behind him, a manicured hand resting on her hip. She scowled softly, shaking her head. Seunghyun shrugged, not caring what his sister had to think.

"You almost missed," she snapped at Seunghyun. He ignored her, waiting for the lecture he was about to receive from someone who mattered. The two men in suits appeared behind him minutes later, having a quiet discussion.

"He's too young," the older one said, holding his hands behind his back as he eyed Seunghyun.

"He's ready," the other, his father, reasoned with the man, "He's started his training at a younger age."

"He didn't pass all of the tests," the man had a hint of warning in his voice.

"I missed one target!" Seunghyun protested, stepping out of a line he had trouble staying behind, "One! Out of nearly a thousand!"

"That one target could have been the end of everything!" the old man raised his voice over Seunghyun, "That one target could have seen you. They could have told someone. You would be in danger, your entire family would be in danger. One person out of a million could end over a hundred years of accident-free business. That will not change today."

The old man started to turn and leave, but the blonde put a light hand on his shoulder. She gave him a dazzling smile that could warm up any heart.

"Chaerin?" the old man smiled back at her.

"What my brother means to say," she started, gesturing to Seunghyun, "Is that he did pass almost all of your tests with a strong heart, and that he will be far more careful in a real situation. He takes much after our father, you know.”

His father smiled at Chaerin, nodding to the old man, "He does."

"Very well," the old man sighed, squeezing Chaerin's hand, "I will let him in."

"Thank you very much," their father started, shaking the man's hand, "He will not disappoint."

"One mistake, Hyunsuk. One mistake, and heads will roll," the old man warned, handing Seunghyun a card with all the information he needed. Seunghyun nodded, stepping back slightly with a sheepish "thank you". The three of them watched until the old man disappeared, each breathing a soft sigh of relief. Yang Hyunsuk drew his hand back and have a hard whack to the back of his son's head, making him cringe.

"What did I say about back talk?" he growled.

"I was standing my ground, like you always tell me to," Seunghyun glared at him, rubbing the back of his head, "We can't all have as much appeal as my sister."

Chaerin scowled, flipping her long hair over her shoulder and pulling down the short dress she wore in an attempt to cover herself up. Hyunsuk drew his hand back to hit Seunghyun again, but balled his hand into a fist and held it at his side. Wordlessly, he frowned and walked away.

"Will you ever learn to shut your fat mouth?" Chaerin whispered sharply, crossing her arms, “Don’t you think you’ve disappointed him enough?”

Seunghyun ignored her, pulling himself over the balcony railing and balancing on the edge. Chaerin tried not to show how nervous she got when he got down to the ground that way, since it was a p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter