Failing on Purpose

Cupid's Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Six times. It had been the sixth time the girl checked the watch on her wrist since she sat on the park bench. She already checked her watch 3 minutes before, but she can't help but to check again, cause the last 3 minutes felt like 30 minutes to her.


She grabbed her phone from inside her small bag and dialed the number that she had memorized since almost 2 years ago. She could hear the beeping tone over and over again on her phone, showing that he didn't pick up her call again. When she could hear his voice asking her to leave a message, she pressed the red button on her phone while groaning desperately.


Aerri watched the girl as she stood up from her bench. The girl appeared to have given up. After all, she had waited there for almost an hour for nothing. Her annoyance had turned into worry 20 minutes before when her boyfriend gave no news and didn't pick up her call at all.


Aerri could hear the chaos in the girl's mind. A voice was telling the girl that she deserved to be angry, as this was not the first time her boyfriend was late for a date. Another voice was worried that something bad happened to her boyfriend that made him unable to pick up her calls or give any news to her at all. And deep inside, coming from the dark corner of her mind, another voice was whispering dark negative thoughts that the girl desperately tried to push aside: her boyfriend cheated on her.


It was not the first time that dangerous soft voice could be heard, whispering words that haunt her mind and poisoned her heart. That voice had been there for a while, ever since he changed and start to distance himself from her, little by little. The more distance she felt with her boyfriend, the louder that voice can be heard in her mind. Even a whisper would cause such havoc in her mind. But so far, somehow the girl always managed to push that thought aside.


If only the girl knew how true those whispers in her mind were. Aerri knew for sure that those soft whispers were right: The girl's boyfriend really was cheating on her. And Aerri knew this for sure, because -in a way- Aerri was the reason why he cheated on her. The arrow of courage she shot to the girl's boyfriend a couple of weeks before resulted in an affair between him and the other girl.

 

It was one of the jobs she received that she hated the most. The minute she found out that her male target already had a girlfriend, Aerri tried to find any loophole in the rules of her 'job description' that can help her avoid that job. But she couldn't find any. She had tried to stall the job by simply not doing anything that would help her targets from being together. But then she got a warning from the Miss who told her to get her job done as soon as possible. So, as her last effort to keep her targets from being together, Aerri tried to fail on purpose.


Usually, for targets that didn't have the circumstances on their side, the arrow of timing was the best choice. The arrow would somehow push them to be together, help them set aside obstacles and change the circumstances to be on the targets' favor. But Aerri didn't want that one job to succeed. She didn't want her targets to be together. She wanted to fail. So, she shot the courage arrow instead of the timing arrow, while crossing her fingers that she wouldn't be considered 'meddling with the living'. After all, she was just doing her job. She just failed to do it in the correct way.


But things didn't turn out the way she wanted. Aerri expected her job to fail and her targets won't be together. Instead, somehow they found the courage to show their feelings to each other. Somehow, the guy and the other girl found the courage to cheat and to disregard what everyone around them would think of them or would say about them. They found the courage to be together, no matter what the circumstances were.


Aerri realized she made a mistake. She had watched the girl and her boyfriend for a few weeks, regretting the mistake she made. Had she shot the timing arrow, things probably wouldn't go that way. The guy and the other girl would still be together, but they won't do it behind the girlfriend's back. Circumstances probably would change, and the guy won't cheat on her girlfriend. She would still have a broken heart from being dumped by her boyfriend of 2 years of course. But at least she wouldn't feel the agony of being betrayed.


Aerri got lost in her mind, not realizing that she was following the girl to the boyfriend's apartment. Aerri felt that sinking feeling in her stomach the minute Aerri realized where the girl was heading. She tried to find a way to distract the girl, to prevent her from getting to her boyfriend's apartment. Cause Aerri knew what the girl would find there. Aerri knew that the reason her boyfriend was late and couldn't be reached was because he was at his apartment with the other girl. Before watching the girl at the park, Aerri was following the guy, so she knew how he took the other girl to his apartment when he was supposed to pick his girlfriend up for a date.


What could she do to stop the girl from going to her boyfriend's apartment? Aerri tried to find a way, anything that she could do without getting punished for meddling with the lives of the living. But she couldn't think of any way. Besides, deep inside, Aerri knew that the lies should end as soon as possible. The girl should know that her boyfriend was cheating on her.


Aerri followed the girl as she took the elevator to the 12th floor. She still followed the girl as she walked quickly to her boyfriend's apartment. But Aerri stopped when th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter