Half the Truth

Cupid's Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Aerri went inside the music store; still slightly quite amazed by the music she heard blasting from inside it. As the music got clearer and louder after she was inside the store, she was sure that she was not mistaken. The melodies that she heard were the ones that she loved to play on her guitar. That same melody that haunt her, that she knew by heart, that allowed her fingers to move as if they have a mind of their own, strumming her guitar. She was sure that the melody was hers, and not from some popular song that she used to love when she was alive. She might not remember anything about her life. But that melody was the only thing that she knew for sure that it was hers. Even though the melody that was playing from the store's speaker was from a piano and not played on a guitar like she always played it, the melodies were the same. And even though there was a voice of a male singing some lyrics in the song she heard, she knew that the melody was hers.


But then, how could it be played on the music store?


She walked slowly to the counter, trying to see if the salesperson put the CD cover on the 'now playing' section that would help customers to find out more about the song they were playing on the speaker. There was a glossy CD cover perched on a small space above the 'now playing' sign. But the cover didn't have any picture of the singer.


Aerri reached out her hand to pick up the CD. But then she realized that she was still in her spirit form. Unless she wanted to make a chaos and rumors of 'ghosts' trying to buy a CD after customers in the crowded store saw a CD floating in mid-air, she'd have to change to her human form first.


So she looked around to find a quiet place to change form. There's no way she could suddenly appear out of thin air in front of everybody. After finding the toilet of the store, she quickly went there to change to her human form, and went back to the counter. She could've caused quite confusion to anyone who happened to notice that she came out from a bathroom that was previously empty. But thankfully, no one noticed her.


She grabbed one of the CD samples from the counter, and she opened it carefully, half afraid of what she might find. The first thing she saw was an artsy design of the name of the artist. It was simple yet chic, the letters forming his name: G-Dragon.


The name caused her to burst out laughing loudly, making the salesperson behind the counter to look at her suspiciously. Why wouldn't anyone not be suspicious of a girl who started laughing by herself? But then again, why wouldn't anyone be laughing at such ridiculous name as 'G-Dragon'? Was this person a singer or a gang member?


After mouthing a 'sorry' and bowing her head a bit to the salesperson, Aerri opened the CD sleeves to see more of this 'G-Dragon'. She started to wonder if the sweet piano melody that can still be heard from the speaker could have come from an artist named 'G-Dragon'. The image just didn't seem to fit.


But she was stunned when she opened the next page of the CD sleeves and saw the picture of this supposed 'dragon'. He had a full make-up on and wearing an outfit that was definitely couldn't be called wearable casually. But he seemed familiar. But she couldn't have known him, right? What would she be doing in her life with a recording artist?


But first thing first, she needed to know if the song she heard was really his song. So she greeted the salesperson and asked, "Excuse me, miss. Who is the singer of the song you're playing just now? The one with the piano?"


"Oh, the songs we're playing are from GD's newest album." she explained.


"GD?"


"G-Dragon. You don't know him?" the salesperson asked Aerri.


"Umm.. I've lived abroad since I was small and I just got back here since a couple of weeks ago. So I don't know much about the artists here. Is he big?" Aerri lied.


"Oh, yes. This is only his 2nd album but he already had a lot of fans since his first album last year. He had fans even since won that rap show."


"Oh.. So his songs are mostly rap? But the song just now was sort of like a pop song."


"Yes, mostly rap and hip hop, mixed with a bit R&B and dance and electronic. But sometimes he does pop and ballads too. He's awesome cause he makes his own songs and writes his lyrics." The salesperson explained excitedly.


"You're a fan?" Aerri chuckled, a bit amused of the fan girl in front of her.


"Yeah. Sort of. He's hot!" the salesperson laughed.


Aerri laughed along, wondering if she was just another die-hard fan who loved his song so much that she remembered it by heart, even after she died and got her memories erased. But the timeline didn't match up, though.


"So, you said the album was new? The piano song was just released with the album?" Aerri asked again.


"Yes. The album just got released yesterday, but it already got an all-kill in charts. That song you were talking about was not the title track, but a lot of people seemed to love it."


Aerri sighed, slightly in relief. The info confirmed her guts that she wasn't just a fan, cause there was no way she could have known the song before it was released. She was right all along: the song was hers. But how did this certain musician got a hand of her song?


"So, are you buying the album?" the salesperson asked, pulling Aerri out of her deep thoughts.


"hmm.. probably later." Aerri smiled. After all, she got no currency. She wondered if the magic closet could produce a CD and CD player too. Or probably she had another way to buy the album online. Does the dorm have wifi?


Aerri chuckled at her silly thought, making the salesperson looked at her weirdly, again. So before she made a fool out of herself, she put the CD back to the counter and smiled to the salesperson, before heading out the music store.


But Aerri still can't get away from her curiosity. How could that musician wrote the same exact song as her song? And why did she felt familiar with him?


"Ugh.. all this familiarity is killing me. First with Seunghyun. Now with some random famous music star. I'm starting think that I'm feeling familiar with them just because they're gorgeous." Aerri chuckled bitterly to herself.


But something was telling her that her familiarity meant something. And it's fueling her curiosity. But Aerri wasn't sure if she should dig up a bit more just to satisfy her curiosity. She probably should just leave the matter alone.

-------------


Aerri was halfway through her dinner when she heard someone calling her name.


"Hey, Aerri." Bae said, smiling as he took a seat across the table.


"Hey, Bae. Dinner?" she smiled back.


"Not really." Bae said as he lift up his small bowl of grapes. "Just some snack before dinner. I promised Sara to get dinner with her later. Have you seen her?"


"Nope. Are you going out somewhere?"


"No. She said she just wanted to cook me something and made me promise not to eat anything before dinner."


"Sara cooks?" Aerri chuckled.


"Hmm.. sort of." Bae grinned. His helpless face pretty much told Aerri all she needed to know about Sara's cooking.


"The things you do for the people you love, huh?" Aerri laughed.


"I'm just glad that we can't get food poisoning or stuff like that here. So all I'd have to bear with is the taste." Bae chuckled.


"How is she going to cook for you? Her room got her own kitchen?" Aerri asked.


"We're using the cafetaria's kitchen."


"You're allowed to use the cafetaria's kitchen?"


"Yes. The place is huge and we can use it as long as we asked for permission. Haven't you been there before?"


"Nope."


"Seriously, Aerri. I have a feeling that your room and the cafetaria are the only places you've visited in the dorm." Bae laughed. When Aerri only grinned, he realized that his teasing was on point.


"Oh God, I'm right am I?" Bae laughed louder.


"Well excuse me if I'm not a part of this super secret community within dating Cupids and Reapers that knew special secret places. Besides, the dorm is huge. I'd probably got lost or something." Aerri pouted, slightly offended.


"There's nothing secret about the cafetaria's kitchen and all the other places. Dae was supposed to tell you about it as soon as you got here." Bae said, still slightly chuckling.


"Oh.. He did tell me he was going to show me around after I decided to be a Cupid. But i guess he forgot."


"Oh, right. I remember you haven't decided to be a Cupid when you first got here. Usually the mentors showed around the dorm as soon as the Cupid or Reaper got here. But I guess it's different with you, since you haven't decided to be a Cupid when you got here."


"Really? Everyone that got here usually already decided to be a Cupid or a Reaper? I wonder why I was different."


"Hmm.. probably just something the Miss told Dae to do." Bae shrugged.


When her memory went back to her early days at the dorm, Aerri remembered that Bae was the person who picked her up when she died. So if she wanted to know a glimpse about her life, she probably could ask Bae about it. Aerri didn't need to know much. She was just curious. It would be awesome too if Bae could tell her if he happened to see a certain famous rapper around her before she died. Since she heard her music being played on the music store a couple of days ago, Aerri was still curious of why that musician could make an exact same song as hers.


"Bae, you're the Reaper who erased my memories, right?"


"Yes. Why?"


"That means you're the one who picked me up, right?"


"Nope." he said.


"Oh come on, don't lie. I know that Reapers who picked a deceased up usually erased their memories too." Aerri chuckled.


"You're right. But I didn't pick you up. Seunghyun did."


"What?"


Bae stopped chewing his grapes when he realized that he wasn't supposed to tell Aerri about this, as Seunghyun had repeatedly asked him to never mention it to anyone else. But Bae couldn't understand the harm of telling Aerri that Seunghyun was the one who picked her up. Aerri didn't seem like she would be angry at Seunghyun for doing his job. Furthermore, Bae never even thought that Aerri would ask about such thing. So Seunghyun's request was simply kept at the back of his head, slightly forgotten, and only remembered when it was already too late.


"Seunghyun was the one who picked me up?" Aerri asked again when Bae didn't answer her question.


"Uuhh.. Y-yes.."


"But how come you're the one who erased my memories?"


"I.. I don't know."


Bae contemplated whether or not he should answer Aerri's question. Aerri didn't seem mad. She seemed more surprised and confused rather than angry. So he sighed, finally giving an explanation she asked for.


"Ok.. all i know was i met Seunghyun that day on the field. He was... I don't know what happened, but he asked me to erase your memories again and to take you to the Miss."


"Erase my memories again?"


"You seemed to already got your memories erased. You were already in that trance state souls have after they got their memories erased. But Seunghyun insisted that I erased your memories again."


"Wow.. If I got a brain damage from getting my memories erased multiple times, I know who I'm going to sue." Aerri said, making Bae chuckled in relief as she wasn't mad at him.


"But why would he ask you to erase my memories again?" Aerri asked again.


"Don't know." Bae shrugged.


That moment, Sara arrived saving Bae from Aerri's questions. They only chat for a little while before Sara dragged a nerveous faced Bae to the cafetaria's kitchen. They did offer Aerri to come along with them. But eventhough she wanted to see the kitchen and she suddenly have the urge to bake, the prospect of being the third wheel definitely didn't seem intriguing for Aerri. So she stayed at her table, while the lovers bid goodbye and head to the kitchen.


Aerri stared at her empty plate, a bit surprised by the new information she got from Bae. She was always so curious of the familiarity she felt with Seunghyun. But after knowing that Seunghyun was the Reaper who picked her up, Aerri was starting to wonder if her familiarity appeared only because she saw Seunghyun when he picked her up. Maybe she felt like she knew him only because she saw him after she died.


But then it means that her familiarity really did mean something. It wasn't just a random feeling that appeared out of nowhere. There was really a valid reason for her familiarity. Could this mean that her familiarity with that strangely named rapper also mean something? She was probably just a fan of that rapper, but that still didn't explain about how she knew his song even before he released it to the public.


Aerri left the cafetaria and went back to her room, her questions and curiosity still whizzing and twirling in her mind.


She opened the door of her room and noticed a note on the floor. It seemed that someone had slipped it under her door.


Hey.. Been looking for you all day. Wanna jump? If you want to join me, I'm jumping at the usual place tonight at 10.

-Seunghyun-


Aerri couldn't help her smile when she read the note. She cursed herself for being so happy just from a note.


"Ugh.. stop it, you idiot." she mumbled to herself, trying to contain her giddiness. She reminded herself that the familiarity she felt with Seunghyun was most probably caused only of the fact that Seunghyun was the Reaper that picked her up when she died.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter