Jumping

Cupid's Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Aerri watched as the boy and the girl about to pass by each other in the park. They were unaware of each other's presence, each of them busy with their own thoughts. Aerri already know what she should do to make them a couple: all they need was the arrow of timing. She had known that since the day before yesterday, but she still hadn't shot the arrow. She was still not sure if she should match them anyway.
 

Aerri considered the arrow of timing like a shot of luck for a couple. After one of the couple got shot by the arrow of timing, the circumstances around them would change, adjusting themselves so that the couple would eventually find each other. She usually use the arrow of timing for targets that she knew would fit well with each other and would have the courage to be together, but haven't met each other. The arrow would also work on couples who can't be together due to circumstances. Of course the arrow would only work if the couple already has the other 2 factors: chemistry and courage.
 

Her current targets were perfect for the arrow of timing. They had a lot in common and Aerri knew they would get along pretty well. They won't have any problem expressing their feelings too. The only problem was they didn't know each other. Sometimes they would cross each other's path in this park, but they never got the perfect timing to know each other personally.
 

One thing that could be a bit of an obstacle for Aerri's current target was that the boy was already being approached by another girl. But nothing that the arrow of timing couldn't work around, cause Aerri knew the boy would fit better with his intended couple than with that other girl.
 

But after what happened a couple of days ago to the diner owner, Aerri was a bit slacking at work. She still remembered how she heard the cries of the lady, both audibly and through her mind, when her lover died. Aerri knew that she had no idea that the man would die just weeks after she matched him with the lady. But she can't help but think that she had a part in the lady's sorrow. After all, the lady wouldn't feel that sad if Aerri never matched her with the owner of the diner, right?
 

So, that late afternoon, Aerri was simply sitting at the park bench, watching from afar as her target passed by each other. She could have shot the timing arrow since earlier that day, even since yesterday. But there she was, sitting on the park bench while eating her tuna sandwich that she brought from the dorm, swinging her feet and feeling careless about the rest of the world.
 

"Hey, naughty Cupid. Why are you eating instead of working like you were supposed to?" a boy said to Aerri.
 

Aerri glanced to her side to see a boy sitting on the bench beside hers.
 

"You're a Cupid, right?" he said again. "I'm Seunghyun, but you can call me Seungri. And you are?"
 

"Hi. I'm Aerri. Yes, I'm a Cupid. You're a Reaper?" she asked him, half amused to find another Seunghyun who was also a Reaper.
 

"Nice to see you, Aerri. You're new, huh? I've never seen you here before."
 

"I've been here several times before, so you probably just didn't see me. Or you have seen me, but you just didn't remember it."
 

"Nonsense. I'm sure I'd remember you if I've seen you before."


"Does that line ever work? Cause that is way too cliche." Aerri laughed.


"Surprisingly, they do work." he said again, his flirty smirk still won't leave his handsome face.


Aerri just rolled her eyes, amazed by the boy's bluntness.


"I've never seen you at the dorm too." she added.


"You obviously haven't realized how big that place is." he said.


She just shrugged, back to people watching and to eating her sandwich.


"I’ve notice you seem to be having a bad day?" he asked her, as he had been watching her for a few minutes and he could see her dark clouds.


"Bad week." she answered.


"Job , huh? You'd think 'life' would be easier once you've died. Who knew that there are still rules to follow, boss to respect, and targets to achieve. And the emotional toll your job causes make things even worse." he said again, with an obvious tone of disgust in his voice that surprised Aerri.


"Yeah.. It still has some fun side to it, though. The dorm is pretty nice." Aerri said, not knowing what else to say to the boy who seemingly just poured out his heart's contents to her out of the blue.


"But if you think about it, the boss doesn't give you much choice. Yeah, the dorm has nice food and a place to sleep. But you'd have to follow the rule obediently just to eat well and sleep well. When you broke the rule, they'd take that away from you. Of course, conveniently, they'd still make you feel hunger and exhaustion. But they don't give you another choice to fulfill that hunger and get rid of that exhaustion other than at the dorm. You can't buy food on earth, cause you got no money. You can sleep down here of course, if you don't mind sleeping on a park bench or at some empty apartment that you're lucky enough to find. Besides, it's not like the noise of people's thoughts down here would help you sleep well either. It's more like slavery than a job. It's more like a relationship between a pet and its master." he said again, still with that smirk on his face.


She looked at him, trying to decide if he really meant all the bitterness he just said. But it was hard to read his face. Even his smirk was cold.


"Bad week?" she chuckled as she asked him.


"Bad years." he grinned back at her.


The sun was starting to hide itself behind the low trees in the park. It was time to get back to the dorm. So, Aerri threw her sandwich wrapper in the garbage bin beside the bench and stood up and said, "Nice talking to you, Ri. Gotta go now. See you later."


"See you later, Ri." he said to her with a smile, finally showing a bit of warmth in his eyes.


"Seungri and Aerri. Ri and Ri? That's nice." she laughed. "Bye then." she said again as she turn around and walk towards the park exit.


She left the boy at the park, her mind still wondering about his weird attitude. But probably this life after death was not as different as real life after all. It's not impossible for some Cupids or Reapers to be unhappy. So she decided not to think much about it.


Walking to the end of the street where the park was at, the lush field finally appeared in front of her as usual. But even from the field, she could see the slight commotion that was happening in front of the dorm. As she can see the dorm a bit clearer once she neared it, she can see not more than 10-15 Reapers and Cupids, including her 4 friends, gathering in front of the dorm.


"What's wrong?’ she asked Dae.


"Aerri! We need a little help here if you don't mind." Dae said.


"Where are we going? What happened?" she asked Dae as she joined the group as they walked to the lush field she was just coming from.


"Special case. There's a train accident and we need as many Reapers as possible. But most of them are out so they asked for Cupids to help them found the dead ones and prevent their spirits from wandering around."


"Isn't usually Reaper's jobs are planned? I thought all deaths are predetermined? Why does it seem like the Reapers are not prepared?" she asked again.


"Cause suicides are not predetermined, but a free will. A stupid guy tried to kill himself by parking his car in the middle of the railroad. But not only did he kill himself, he caused a big train accident that injured many." Bae explained, walking beside her. Aerri could see Sara beside him, smiling sadly at her.


"Be prepared, Aerri. It's not going to be pretty." she said to her.


As soon as the lush field disappeared from her sight, Aerri understood what Sara meant. The sky was dark, not only because the sun was down, but also because the dark smoke, billowing from a part of the burning train. Lights from the police car and fire trucks and ambulance gave an eerie hue to the surroundings.


But what Aerri could hear was worse than what she could see. Cries of pain and cries for help can be heard from distance that couldn't even reached by eyes. They can be heard both audibly and in Aerri's head, like an explosion that hurt her head.


"Spread out, leave the survivors alone and find the dead ones. When you found a dead one or a wandering spirit, call a Reaper. There is nothing else you can do but to keep them from wandering further, ok?" Dae told her before he left her and walked towards the burning train. The others were already spreading out to different part of the place, leaving Aerri alone.


She stood there by the railroad, overwhelmed by the whole situation, not knowing what to do. The scope of the event made her feel so small and useless. Thankfully someone tapped her shoulder and said to her in his deep voice, "You can tag along with me. Come on."


Aerri followed Seunghyun, feeling a bit relieved for having someone with her. "How do I know which ones are dead, which ones are spirits out of the body, and which ones are the survivors?" she asked him as they entered a train carriage.


"You'll know the difference when you see them." he said with a straight face.


Oh what a horrible event it was. Aerri could see policemen, paramedics, and firefighters trying to rescue the victims of the accident. Bleeding bodies, crying sounds, and even body parts made her feel absolutely helpless for not being able to do anything but watch in silence. She tried so hard not to cry when she saw a mother trapped between the ruins while her little toddler was crying beside her. This situation made what happened at the diner days before looked like a vacation.


Seunghyun was right. She could easily tell the difference between the dead ones and the ones that are still fighting for their life, as the one that survive seem to have a certain glow to them. The wandering spirits could be seen easily between the others as they looked a bit transparent. So, Aerri and Seunghyun walked side by side from one carriage to another, trying to find a deceased victim. When they did, Seunghyun would wait until the spirit arise, then erase their memories. When they found a wandering one, he would just erased their memories immediately. Aerri's task was simply to guard the ones with erased memories who followed her with blank stares, just so that they wouldn't wander around again. So far there are 3 of them, following her around like a lost puppy.


It felt like they have been doing the work for forever when Aerri found herself in an empty carriage. Seunghyun was still at the previous carriage, so no one else was there but her and the 3 other spirits behind her. At the other end of the carriage, she can see a spirit of a young woman, wandering around while sobbing softly. When she saw Aerri, she approached Aerri quickly while saying, "You can see me? You can see me? Why couldn't everyone else see me?"


"They just couldn't see you. But I can. So just stay here with me, ok?" Aerri said. "Seunghyun! Come over here please." Aerri shouted to him. But he was nowhere to be found.


"Who are they?" the woman asked Aerri, pointing at the 3 spirits behind her. "Why are they like that? What have you done to them?" she asked again, trying to let go of Aerri's hand.


"No, they're fine. You just gotta trust me and stay with me, ok?" Aerri said. "Seunghyun, please hurry!" she called for Seunghyun again.


"What are you going to do to me? Let go of me!" she screamed, still struggling to pull her hand away from Aerri's. When Aerri finally did let go of her hand, the young woman accidently hit her in the face. The sting of the hit made Aerri's ear pound.


Thankfully, before anything else happened, someone reached from behind Aerri and touch the woman's forehead. Just the tip of his fingers made the women calmer, as her life flashes before her eyes.


"Are you ok?" Seunghyun said, touching Aerri’s cheek which still felt burning from the hit.


"I'm ok." Aerri said. Somehow Seunghyun's touch only made her cheeks burn more intensely, especially when she noticed his fingers softly rubbing her cheek, his eyes staring intently at her.


"We're done." he said, pulling her out of her slight trance.


"We are? Everyone else is done too?"


"Yes. They are gathering outside. Come on."


Aerri followed Seunghyun out of the train, with the 4 spirits following behind. Outside, on a small field by the railroad, she could see the other Reapers and Cupids gathering the spirits in a crowd. Some of the humans were still there, but most of the worse victims had already been transported to the hospital.  But Aerri could see around 40-50 spirits that had gathered on the field. The accident had taken a lot of victims.


Some of the Reapers stayed at the site, just to make sure that no spirits were left behind. The others head back to the dorm together, escorting the spirits like an odd looking mob, moving away from the railroad. While walking away, Aerri looked back to the site again. A bit farther from the site, she could see a familiar figure, observing everything from a distance. Was that Ri? Aerri squinted her eyes, trying to see if the person she saw was really Ri. It seemed like him, but she wasn’t sure.


“What’s wrong, Aerri?” Dae asked her.


She looked at Daesung, wanted to ask him if he knew Seungri. But when she looked back at the site again, Seungri was gone. So, she decided to just shake her head and said nothing to Dae.


After a little walk, they finally reached the lush fields again. They met some other Reapers who waited at the field to pick the spirits up and them towards another side of the field.


"Where are they going?" Aerri asked Bae who stood beside her.


"They're not suppo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter