Breaking the Rule

Cupid's Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So what do you think?" Sara said, posing exaggeratedly in front of Aerri with her new dress. They were in Sara's room, trying out some clothes, having fun with their 'magic' closet.

 

 

"It's cute if only you're not posing as if you're passing gas." Aerri chuckled.

 

 

 

"What? It's high fashion pose."

 

 

"Ok. Now we can see one thing that you are NOT when you were alive." Aerri laughed. When they were together, Aerri and Sara liked to wonder, sometimes joked around, about their life before they died. Trying to guess what their profession were based on their personalities and their preferences could be so much fun. 

 

 

"But you said it yourself, my on fashion could mean that I was a stylist or a fashion designer. Well, I could also be a super model, right?" Sara winked.

 

 

"Well, you probably have the look. But oh dear your posing is disastrous..." Aerri said, laughing along with her friend.

 

 

"So you're wearing this for your date tomorrow?" Aerri asked Sara, after their laughter subsided.

 

 

"I think so. Bae said he was going to take me for a picnic at the beach somewhere down. This dress is not too much for the beach, right?" Sara asked again, suddenly unsure of the dress she was wearing.

 

 

"No. It's perfect." Aerri grinned, half amazed of how her confident friend always seem to be insecure whenever it came to Bae.

 

 

"Thank God you're here to help me." Sara muttered.

 

 

"Yeah.. You'd be so helpless without me. You'd probably wear a pair of crocs & socks with that dress to your date if I wasn't around." Aerri said.

 

 

"Oh.. I'll never be that helpless and clueless." Sara cringed, the disgust on her face triggered another laugh from Aerri.

 

 

"Don't be so sure about it, Sara. You tend to be clueless when it comes to Bae." Aerri laughed.

 

 

"I know right? I'd hate it so much if I didn't love him this much." Sara sighed.

 

 

Aerri looked at her love-drunk friend and said, "I think you're so brave. Well, a bit foolish if I may say, but let's just call it brave."

 

 

"Why?"

 

 

"Sooner or later one of you is going to be reborn, Sara."

 

 

"And?"

 

 

"Well.. doesn't that mean sooner or later what you have now is going to end?"

 

 

"Do you think I don't know that? I'm just trying not to think too much about it. Let's just think about that problem after I really have to face it. I'm just really enjoying what i have right now. I don't want to ruin it with something that I don't know when it would happen."

 

 

Aerri watched Sara fiddle with her dress and grinned. "Ugh.. you're so disgustingly in love."

 

 

"Yeah.. the great is not really helping my condition either.."

 

 

"You don't have to tell me that. I've seen it with my own eyes, remember?"

 

 

"oh my Goooddd... you said you were never going to talk about it again!!" Sara said, covering her blushing cheeks with her hands.

 

 

"I'm sorry.. The chance to mock you is right there and I can't help but to take it." Aerri laughed out loud.

 

 

"It's not only because it was great though." Sara said, suddenly smiling shyly. "This is the closest thing I've felt to being alive. It has been a while since I felt alive."

 

 

"Are you talking about the experience of being in love or the ?" Aeri grinned teasingly.

 

 

"Both!" Sara laughed. When she saw Aerri's confused look, she added," Do you know that everything... well, most of everything.. that we feel here is just like an illusion? You feel your heart beating, but how can it be when we're actually dead, right? We feel hunger and thirst, but we don't actually need food and water, since we stopped growing old. If you don't eat or drink, you won't die.. obviously. If you don't eat or drink, you'll just feel that hunger and thirst accumulating, unquenched. So you eat and drink just to rid yourself from that hunger and thirst. But recently, when I'm with Bae, my heartbeat and his warmth and... it's different.."

 

 

Sara's voice went softer and softer when she said her last sentence as the blush on her cheeks went brighter and brighter. She peeked at a grinning Aerri from behind her pillow and said, "Please don't tell Bae I'm like this, ok."

 

 

"Yeah.. you're all cool and chic in front of him so I never thought you were this crazy.." Aerri laughed.

 

 

Sara giggled from behind her pillow. After her laughter stopped, she threw her pillow at Aerri and said, "What about you?"

 

 

"What about me?" Aerri asked her back, eyebrows raised in confusion.

 

 

"Well, a little birdie told me that you think that Seunghyun is hot."

 

 

Aerri gasped and said, "oh my God I am going to kill Dae!!"

 

 

To Aerri's surprise, Sara laughed and said, "What? Dae knew about this too? I heard it from Bae."

 

 

"WHAT?" Aerri shouted, while Sara laughed in satisfaction. "oh God please tell me Seunghyun knew nothing about this." Aerri said. "Ck.. can't believe you guys are gossiping about me behind my back.." she said, shaking her head.

 

 

"Don't worry.. I don't think Seunghyun knew about this cause Bae made me promise not to tell him."

 

 

"Good. Please keep your promise, Sara." Aerri sighed.

 

 

"Why?" Sara grinned.

 

 

"Cause it was nothing! The thought just crossed my mind when I saw him and Dae heard it. It was just a thought.. an opinion. I bet a lot of girls, dead or alive, would think that he's hot too."

 

 

"You can say that again." Sara laughed. "Bae used to tease Seunghyun and said that he wouldn't need his powers to erase the memories of a deceased, if the deceased was a woman. Seunghyun would just have to appear in front of the woman and she'll follow him happily to wherever, even if she still have all her memories."

 

 

"Yeah, he probably could do that." Aerri laughed.

 

 

"But are you sure nothing happened with you and Seunghyun?" Sara grinned teasingly.

 

 

Aerri looked at Sara. It only took her a few seconds before she answered her question. But during those short seconds, what happened the last couple of days flashed through her mind. Since she jumped with Seunghyun a couple of days ago, somehow he act even weirder with her. He would be more open to her at times, but he could turn distant in an instant, avoiding her in a sudden. Aerri wanted to ask if Sara knew something about his attitude, but she decided not to say anything. Seunghyun was probably always like this with everyone. Why should she think that he acted any different with her than with everyone else?

 

 

"Yup. I'm sure there is nothing with me and Seunghyun."

 

 

But she can't seem to ignore the sadness she felt every time Seunghyun pulled away from her.

 

----------------

 

Aerri rolled her eyes at a couple that stood not far from her. She was on duty, watching her targets who were on the other side of the bus stop. But a young couple that had stood beside her since a few minutes ago were starting to get on her nerves. With their giggling and loud whispers of words like "Last night was amazing" or "I love your eyes" and their slightly inappropriate groping with each other, the couple put public display of affection into a whole new level.

 

 

As Aerri made a gagging gesture, she heard someone behind her saying, "You're a Cupid but you don't seem to approve of public display of affection."

 

 

She turned around and see Seungri, still with that smirky smile of his.

 

 

"Oh please.. This.." Aerri said while pointing at the couple next to her, "... is not public display of affection. It's more like public display of . " she added.

 

 

As he laughed at her scowling face, they could hear the girl whispered loudly to the boy, "Lets just skip class and continue the amazing time we had last night, shall we?"

 

 

"Love to.." the boy grinned to his girl and dragged her away from the bus stop, probably back to his place, while the girl giggled in excitement. The problem was, the next second both Seungri and Aerri could hear him thinking, "Better call Minah first to cancel our lunch date."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter