I'm Her / She's You

Cupid's Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The day went by so quickly and the weekend turned from '2 days from now' to 'today'. That morning, Aerri was awaken by a knock on her door. She groggily opened her door to see Sara standing in front of her, grinning widely.


"Rise and shine, sweetie. Time to get ready for the trip!" she said as she entered Aerri's room in excitement.


Aerri glanced at her clock, not surprised when she saw that it was only 9 in the morning. No wonder she was still so damn drowsy. She was staying late the night before because of work. And she also stayed late the night before that when she went to the club to see Seunghyun's performance. She was planning to sleep until noon to make up for her lack of sleep. But the grinning Cupid that was standing in front of her seemed to have other plans.


"Saraaa.. I haven't got enough sleep this last couple of days, so I'm going back to sleep. We're not supposed to meet up with the others until 2 this afternoon anyway. No need to rush." Aerri whined as she slipped herself back under her blanket.


"No no no.. We need new clothes to bring to the trip. And to imagine beautiful clothes that fit us perfectly, we need to find them on Earth. It's time to shop, baby!" Sara said as she peeled the blanket off Aerri's body, pulling and tugging the blanket away from Aerri's hands.


Aerri sat on her bed, pissed off that she couldn't get back to sleep. "Question: Why do we need new clothes for a short weekend trip? Answer: We don't. At least not me." Aerri said.


"Just like its name, winter mountains are cold. And since you've only been here since the last couple of months, i bet you don't have any winter clothing cause you've only experienced spring and summer after you became a Cupid. So, we're getting some winter clothing."


"Well, all I need to do is to imagine some clothing in my closet. Why should I need to try them first on Earth?"


"Cause you need some inspiration for some fashionable winter clothing and some other clothes too. You know that the lodge that we’re staying at always held a gathering for Cupids and Reapers on weekends?"


"What kind of gathering?"


"You know.. the type of gathering where you can get to know other Cupids and Reapers."


"And why do we need new clothing for the gathering or whatever type of event or stuff this is?" Aerri muttered, sitting on her bed with her eyes closed as she was picturing herself asleep in her comfy bed instead of bantering with her pushy best friend.


"Well, the gathering is a semi formal event, so you need to look good for it!"


"No, I don't need to look good for it. And if the gathering requires fancy clothing and dresses, then I just simply won't join the gathering and sleep in my room or something. I know I could use some extra sleep since someone is cutting me off from my rest."


"But you might meet someone at the event."


"Huh? Are you pimping me?" Aerri chuckled, finally realizing what her friend was doing.


"I'm not pimping you. Just.. you look rather down lately. And I thought meeting someone would cheer you up." Sara said shyly.


"Ck.. This woman needs no man to be happy." Aerri said sassily, grinning at Sara.


Sara laughed and said, "Ok then. Then you can join the gathering just to hang out with your friends who are also there. Don't you want to spend some time with us?"


"Of course I want to hang out with you guys. I was just.. messing with you because you wouldn't let me go back to sleep. Please let me go back to sleep, Sara." Aerri whined.


"You can sleep after the trip. Come on, baby. Let's go shopping!" Sara said, grinning at her friend.


Aerri squinted at Sara, amazed at her persistence.


"Oh, all right. It's impossible to say no to you, isn’t it? I wonder how Bae could put up with you." Aerri groaned as she got off her bed and head to her bathroom.


"He has his own way to make me agree with him." Sara winked.


"Ew.. Ew.. Stop right there. Don't give me any further explanation about his 'ways' and I promise I'll shower faster." Aerri said before she slammed the bathroom door behind her as Sara laughed in satisfaction.


---------------


"Saraaaa.. what else do you want me to try? We've been here for hours and I'm hungry." Aerri whined when Sara said she was going to get some other clothes for her to try. Sara found the clothes she wanted 90 minutes before, but she still wouldn't let Aerri to choose any clothes at all. She called almost everything that Aerri tried as 'not good enough for the event' or 'doesn't fit Aerri's personality'. At that point, with the hunger she felt, Aerri really didn't care what dress Sara picked for her. Heck, she'd agree on a freakin' garbage bag dress if it would just make Sara allow her to go back to the dorm to get something to eat.


"Just let me get you some other clothes to try, then we can go back to the dorm, ok? We should get going anyway, since it's almost 2." Sara chuckled. "Just sit down there and wait for me. I'll be back soon." she said again as she pointed at a small chair outside the dressing room.


Aerri just grumbled, flumping herself on the chair as she watched her friend walked to the other side of the boutique to see some other clothes. Then she lean her head on the wall behind the chair as she closed her eyes, stealing a little time to rest.


But suddenly, she heard that familiar voice again.


"Sleepy? Or too tired from too much shopping?" he chuckled.


Aerri opened her eyes in surprise to see Jiyong standing near the clothing rack in front of her.


"So, we meet again." he grinned at her. "If this keeps on happening, I might think that you're stalking me. But then again, you haven't called me at all even though you have my number. So I don't think you're a crazy fan."


Aerri was still speechless from another encounter with Jiyong. But she finally managed to say something. "Until now I still don't know why you said that you have fans. Are you that famous?"


"Sort of." he grinned. "I'm happy that at least you remember our last encounter. I was slightly afraid that you don't even remember that I met you that day at the restaurant, and at the club. When you never called me, I was starting to doubt my charm. But if you still remember me, then I guess I'm not that insignificant."


"How can you not remember a weird guy who came out of nowhere, approached you in a restaurant, and said that he was 'drawn to you'?"


"Well, I wasn't lying. I'm still drawn to you. It happened again, whatever it is. I was just passing through this boutique when I suddenly have the urge to come inside. And here you are again." Jiyong's awkwardness when he met her in the restaurant the week before was nowhere to be found that day. That moment, he was being as smooth as ever, putting out his charm like he probably always does whenever he was hitting on a girl.


"Are you sure you weren't just interested with one of the clothes on the display?"


"This boutique only sells woman's clothing."


"So? You're wearing woman's top right now."


He looked down on his clothes and burst out laughing when he realized that Aerri was right. "You're right. I probably was interested with one of the clothing in display. But still, we meet again. Once or twice could be a coincidence. But three times in just a few weeks?"


"I still think it's a coincidence."'Aerri said, making him laugh again.


After a few moments, he asked her, "So.. why didn't you call me? Was it because you don't want to call me, or because you lost my number?"


Aerri muttered silently in her mind, "Yes, I lost it to a Reaper." But she didn't say anything to Jiyong, simply because she didn't know what to say to him.


"Well, whatever your reason was, I wanted to tell you that I still wish we could meet up again, on other occasions than these coincidences. So here's my number, again." he chuckled as he said 'again' a bit louder when he pulled out a business card from his bag and gave it to Aerri.


Aerri was still staring at his business card when she could hear his voice again. "Oh! I just remember. Since you said that you still don't know why I would have fans, please do come to see me perform next week." he said as he handed her an envelope. Aerri peeked inside it to see something that appeared to be concert tickets. Then he said again, "See? I'm telling you, this is not a coincidence. I almost never bring free tickets with me. And the one time that I met you again, i just happened to bring some tickets. I was suppose to give those tickets to my parents, so I really hope you'll come. There are 2 tickets, so you could bring someone with you. I sure hope you won't bring a boyfriend or a date though." he chuckled again.


"Aren't you being a bad son by betraying your loving parents just to hit on a girl?" Aerri said.


He chuckled again and said "I can get more tickets for them. There are some reserved seats that I'm free to give to whomever I want."


"So I'm sitting near your parents? You want me to meet your parents? Seriously, this is too fast for me, dude." she joked.


He laughed out loud and said "You really remind me of someone, you know."


Aerri looked at him, wondering if that 'someone' he was talking about was in fact herself.


"You're really pulling out all the cliches at once, aren't you? Telling me that you're drawn to me, giving me free concert tickets, and now telling me that I remind you of someone." Aerri chuckled along with him.


"Ah! Give me that envelope." he said as he took the envelope out of Aerri's hands. Then he put out a pen and wrote something on the envelope. "After the concert, meet me backstage if you want." He handed the envelope back to Aerri. Now, on the envelope, there are directions on how she could go backstage and the name of some staff and security that would let her in.


"So, someone that I just met, who is supposedly famous, will be performing on a concert. And not only did he give me some free tickets and seated me near his parents, he also asked me to meet him backstage. Are you sure this is not a fan fiction? The only cliche that you haven't done is mentioning my name on stage when you perform. Please don't do that." Aerri said.


He burst out laughing again hearing her sarcastic jokes. But then Aerri heard his mind saying, "Oh God, Aerri. I swear she's like your personality twin. The way she jokes around and mocks me makes me miss you even more."


Aerri was stunned to hear his thought. It's bittersweet to know that someone still remember you even after you died, isn't it? It's sad, but sweet and touching at the same time. How she wanted to say to him, "Aerri? Yes, I'm her."


Before any of them get to say anything else, Sara appeared, carrying 4 different dresses and clothes in her hands.


"Ok. I swear this is the last batch of clothes. After you try this, I promise we're going back.." Sara's words stopped when she realized that Aerri was with someone. Before Sara noticed the envelope in her hand, Aerri put it in her pocket.


"Oh! Sorry, I didn't notice that you're with someone." Sara grinned at her.


"Hi. You're Eri's friend? I'm Jiyong." he said.


"Yes, I am her friend." Sara said as she glance at Aerri, probably wondering why the boy called her as Eri. Aerri prayed so hard that Sara wouldn't call her Aerri in front of Jiyong. She couldn't imagine the explaining that she needed to do if Sara slip up.


Then, when Sara glanced back at Jiyong, she gasped as she finally got a good look of the boy in front of her. "O my God! Are you...??!?"


"Finally! Someone who recognized me. I was starting to think that I'm not popular enough." he chuckled. When Sara didn't say anything but to stand there with her hands covering and the hangers of the clothes that she brought was tucked between her fingers, Jiyong said again, "Listen, will you help me and persuade your friend here to call me? I already gave her my number but she didn't seem to be that excited to call me."


"Huh?" Sara looked at Aerri in surprise. "Oh.. O- okay.." she stuttered.


"That's great." he said, smiling widely. Then he glanced at his watch and said, "I better go now. Hope to see you again, Eri. Call me, ok?" he said at he waved goodbye at her and nod to Sara. In a few seconds, he was out of their sight.


"Ooohhh my Goooodddd." Sara squealed as she bounce excitedly while staring at Aerri. "I can't believe that you're not excited at this. He's a famous rapper, you know. I've had a few targets that were major fans of him." Sara said.


"Does the fact that someone famous just give me his number out of nowhere is that important to be excited about?"


"I don't know. It's just exciting that someone famous noticed you and give you his number. Doesn't it make you feel.. special?"


When Aerri just shrugged, Sara asked her, "Well, if I were you, I'd feel special. And beautiful. I mean, it's not just because he's famous or anything. When you get someone to notice you amongst the crowd, to think that you're worthy enough for a second look and more, doesn't that make you feel like you have something special that attracted him?"


"Well, I'm not in my real form, so why should I feel special or beautiful? My human form was probably the type of girl that he likes."


"I have been working as a Cupid for quite some time to know that it's not just about the look, Aerri." Sara grinned. "Besides, your real look is way more beautiful than your human form. If he's attracted to this.." Sara said, pointing at Aerri's human form, "then he's going to love your real form."


"Aww.. that's so sweet of you." Aerri said as she hug her friend. "Now will you please let me go back to the dorm so I can get something to eat?"


"No! Just try these ones first and then I'm done." Sara said, all her sweetness changed into determination of getting Aerri to try some more clothes.


Aerri just sighed as she went inside the dressing room again with Sara following her. As Aerri went inside the empty booth, Sara talked to her from the other side of the closed curtains. "But you're not going to call him, right?" Sara asked.


"No. Don't worry. I know the rules. No relationships between Cupids and the living."


"That's good." Sara said. Then she asked again, "Why did he call you Eri anyway?"


"He misheard my name and I just didn't bother to correct him." Aerri lied as she opened the curtains to show Sara the dress that she tried.


"Ck... Aren’t rappers and musicians suppose to have good hearing?" Sara grinned at her. Aerri just chuckled at her, feeling slightly guilty for lying to her. She wasn't lying when she said that she won't call Jiyong. But she was still unsure if she would pass on the chance to see his concert. She had a week to decide on the matter.

------------


"Wonder why they haven't showed up yet." Sara said, glancing at the clock on her bedroom wall. The boys were hours late.


"Hm.." Aerri hummed as she buried her head even deeper on Sara's pillow. She was slightly happy that the boys were late, cause she could use the extra time to rest. Sara's bed felt so comfortable, making her even more drowsy than she already was. But then, just before she drifted away to sleep, Aerri could hear a knock on Sara's door.


Sara jumped up from the chair she was sitting on to open her door. After she opened it, Bae and Seunghyun was standing there.


"Sorry we're late. Both of us suddenly got a sudden and urgent job together. Ready to go?"


"Yup. Come on, Aerri." Sara said to Aerri who was still laying on the bed with her eyes closed. She groaned softly as she got up from the bed and grabbed her small travelling bag.


They walked out of the dorm together, heading towards the cable car station that would take them to the winter mountains. Seunghyun was walking a bit ahead of them, still haven't said a word since he got to Sara's room.


"What's wrong with him?" Sara asked Bae.


"I don't know. I think the job that we did just now got to him. We were picking up a husband and a wife. They were traveling together with their son in their car when they got into an accident. Thankfully the son survived because he was pulled out of the car just in time."


"Oh God that is so sad." Sara whispered. "I wonder why he's always like this whenever he had to do a job that relates to an accident. I remember you told me that the Reaper who picked him up told you that he died because of an accident, right?"


"Yes, Ai told me that."


Aerri's breath slightly hitched when she heard Bae's words. She remembered that after they were working on a train accident a few months ago, Bae mentioned about a friend who told him that Seunghyun always felt uncomfortable working on an accident because he died in one. But Aerri didn't know anything about Ai back then, so she didn't realize that the friend Bae was talking about and the Reaper who picked Seunghyun up was Ai.


Aerri stared at the boy who was walking a few feet ahead of her. There could have been another reason why he was a bi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter