Banned

Cupid's Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

People watching helped. On the first hours of being banned from the dorm, Aerri's saviour was a simple act of people watching. She just sat on the park bench, watching people passed her by, trying to imagine what their life was like, what kind of job they had, how many siblings they had, whether or not they had a boyfriend or a girlfriend, and so on.

 

 

 

She also listened to them. Their thoughts of muttering how they were late for their date, their silent cursing of how bad the traffic was, their hidden sighs of how much they missed their significant other, and more. Some even have vivid dirty thoughts that successfully made Aerri laugh.

 

 

 

 

But then on the next couple of hours, people watching turned irritating, especially after the sun had fully disappeared and dinner time had come. People, young and old, started to fill the restaurants, cafes, and food stalls. They ordered food and drinks, enjoying their time with their friends and families. Aerri, in her hungry and lonely state, can't help but be jealous at them.

 

 

 

Aerri was so hungry, but she couldn't eat. She had tried turning into her human form, but somehow she just couldn't do it no matter how hard she tried. Even if she could turn into a human form, she couldn't get anything to eat because she had no money.

 

 

 

In her hunger, human thoughts sounded even louder. And Aerri didn't know why, but somehow it seemed that she could only hear their negative thoughts. How a son in law cursed his cranky mother in law, a bitter thought of a jealous friend, a silent cry of a heartbroken girl, and more. Every thought seemed louder and darker than the other. Each thought was a noise that pounded her head.

 

 

 

And the worse of all was the fatigue she felt. Aerri could swore that the fatigue was part of her punishment. The Miss or someone must have drained all her energy or something, cause she was certain she had never felt that tired before. Even though she had been on earth since early that morning, there was no way she would feel that tired. But even her fatigue couldn't block all the noise from the thoughts of the people around her. She couldn't rest.

 

 

 

Aerri dragged her feet through the streets, trying to find a solace or anything to make her feel better. She didn't even bother to avoid the people that moved along the streets. She just walked through them, like a pale hungry and tired ghost.

 

 

 

Then she passed by a music store. The stereo inside the store was playing a really loud music that she could hear from feet away. She went inside the store, wondering if the sound of the music would block all the noisy human thoughts. Thankfully, it helped. Those negative thoughts inside her head somehow muted by the pounding beats of the music.

 

 

 

Exhausted, Aerri sat down, leaning her back on one of the walls of the store. She was still hungry, but at least she could try and get a little rest. So there she was, half asleep on a corner of a noisy music store, unseen and unnoticed by the living.

 

 

----------------

 

 

"Have you made the lyrics for the song?" a boy asked her. Why does his voice sound familiar? Why couldn't she see his face?

 

 

 

"No. I don't think it needs a lyric."

 

 

 

"Why not?"

 

 

 

"Cause some things are unspoken anyway."

 

 

 

"Pfftt.. you're only making excuses to not make the lyrics for the song." he laughed.

 

 

 

"I am noott.." she whined.

 

 

 

"Lazy little Aerri."

 

 

 

"I'm not your little sister, you know."

 

 

 

"Whatever, little Aerri." he . His teasing voice slowly disappeared, slowly turning into a more clear but concerned one.

 

 

 

"Aerri? Aerri.." the voice said. She missed that voice. She wanted to ask the owner of that voice to keep talking to her, cause his voice somehow made the other noise from the music and from people's thoughts more bearable.

 

 

 

"Aerri.. wake up, please.. Aerri.." his voice sound even more worried now. She could feel someone shaking her arms, but she didn't want to wake up. Her dream and his voice were too comfortable and lovely.

 

 

 

"Aerri.. please.." he said again. So she tried hard to pry her eyes open, as she felt his fingers caressing her cheeks softly. She felt so tired and hungry. Somehow she couldn't rest or sleep because of the hunger and the noise, but she couldn't open her eyes either.

 

 

 

As her blurred eyes gain some focus, she recognised the boy that was in front of her.

 

 

 

"Hi, Seunghyun." she whispered, giving him a weak smile.

 

 

 

"Hi, Aerri." he smiled in relief. "Here you go." he handed her a plastic wrapper containing something that looked like a tuna sandwich.

 

 

 

She looked at him and whispered, "Are you even allowed to do this?"

 

 

 

"Nope. But, whatever.." he grinned.

 

 

 

"I don't want to get you in trouble, Seunghyun." she said as she handed the sandwich back to him. The temptation of opening the wrapper and devouring the sandwich inside was big. But she didn't want him to be punished too.

 

 

 

"It'll be fine, Aerri." he said as he opened the sandwich wrapper and gave the sandwich back to Aerri.

 

 

 

"No, Seunghyun."

 

 

 

"Aerri. Eat." his dark eyes were worried but determined. Aerri wished he would stay with her until her punishment was over. Just his eyes and his voice and his presence would be enough to make her feel better.

 

 

 

He put the sandwich in her hands, and her hunger won. She took a bite of the sandwich, savouring the flavour of it in . She was certain that her hunger intensified from the punishment, cause her hunger was almost painful.

 

 

 

Seunghyun sat beside her, leaning his back on the wall. He watched her ate the sandwich, ready to scold her if she refused to eat again. But Aerri was too busy eating, not intending to stop before the whole sandwich was in her tummy. Even when suddenly the music store closed, the music stopped and the lights were out, she was still  eating the sandwich, munching slowly, afraid that her self restrain snapped if she ate more quickly and made her devour the sandwich like a hungry animal.

 

 

 

When the sandwich was finally gone, Seunghyun handed her a small box of juice, and Aerri drank it happily. Then he put the wrappers and the juice box in his pocket.

 

 

 

He glanced at the girl who was staring at him. He pulled her head so that she lean her head on his shoulders.

 

 

 

"Thanks, Seunghyun."

 

 

 

"Hm.. The others said hi. They all got work to do, so Sara nag me to look for you."

 

 

 

"Thanks.." she whispered. Somehow she felt a bit disappointed that he came looking for her only because Sara told him to. But beggars can't be choosy, right?

 

 

 

"How did you find me?" she asked him.

 

 

 

"Luck, I guess. I've been looking for you for a while."

 

 

 

"Seoul is big."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter