(Not) Brothers & Sisters

Cupid's Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:

Second part of the double update. Enjoy.. :)

-----------------------------------
 

Aerri sighed as she followed the boy and the girl walking home together after school as usual. Aerri was still trying to find a way to match them, as she couldn't accept the fact that the boy actually chose not to tell the girl that he liked her. The day before, he just got back from Japan after his scholarship interview and the girl happily picked him up at the airport. The boy was probably going to leave soon without even telling her about how he felt for her. And she just simply thought that he didn’t like her more than just friends. The situation and Aerri hated how she couldn’t find a way to change it.


"So when are you going to get the notification for the scholarship?" the girl asked the boy.


"Probably 1 or 2 months from now."


"Oh.. So now you just wait?"


"Pretty much."


"Oh.. ok." the girl said. But Aerri could hear clearly how in her mind the girl cursed at herself for even slightly wishing that the boy wouldn't get the scholarship.


The next minute was spent with an awkward silence between the best friends. Nothing was said between them, but their minds were loud with their own thoughts. Aerri just facepalmed at the amount of unspoken words that the best friends have between them.


"So.. I heard that someone asked you out this Friday night?" the boy asked the girl.


"Huh? How do you know that?"


"He approached me after basketball practice the other day to ask me if you had a boyfriend. When I said no, he told me that he was thinking to ask you out." he told her. But in his mind, he muttered, "I'm not taking you to my basketball practice again after this. I knew I shouldn't let you come along in the first place."


"Hm.. So you.. encourage him to ask me out?" she asked.


"Well I'm not encouraging him. I only told him that as far as I know, you're not seeing anyone. I can't tell him not to ask you out, can I?"


Aerri groaned, wishing that she could slap the back of the boy's head. Aerri could hear how the girl muttered to herself in her mind, "See? He didn't even mind if you're seeing someone else. You know this is not the first time he let someone else asked you out. What other sign do you want?"


"So are you going out with him? Did you say yes?" he asked her.


"No." she whispered.


In his mind, the boy cheered and sighed in relief. But then he noticed the sad look on the girl's face. "Then why the sad face? If you wanted to go out with him you don't have to say no just because he's my friend, you know." he said, speaking the contrary of what he was truly feeling. That last sentence made Aerri groaned even louder. Seriously, how stupid can this boy be?


The girl sighed loudly, trying hard not to embarrass herself for crying in front of him. Even though he was her best friend, he was still a boy. And of all people, she knew exactly how he got awkward and confused whenever he saw someone cried.


"I'm not sad." she said, even though she was really sure that her b eyes would show him otherwise. Then, as they finally reached her house, she bid him goodbye and silently entered her house without saying another word.


The boy stood in front of her house, staring at the closed door of her house. The battle in his mind had started again. The louder voice in his mind was telling him to turn around and get home quickly. But there was always that softer voice who would tell him to go closer to her. Sometimes the voice even told him to tell the girl that he likes her. But then the louder voice would remind him that she probably didn't feel the same way. And even if there was the slightest chance that she did love him too, that louder voice would remind him that he's probably going to leave soon, so it was so much better to leave as her best friend. There was no point of having something to hold him back here. Leaving for a new place where he didn't know anybody was already hard enough. He didn't need anything that would make him miss his hometown even more than he already would.


And once again, he listened to that louder voice. The boy turned around, heading back to his home.


"No no no.. Don't you dare walk away, young man. You knew damn well you just made your best friend cry." Aerri said to him. Who cares if he couldn't even see her. She just needed to rant at the stupid boy.


"Will you stop?" Aerri said again. "STOP!" she shouted.


And suddenly, he stopped. He looked confused, but he stopped. Aerri stared at him in surprise. Did he hear her? Well, it didn't matter if he heard her or not. What mattered was that he followed her words. Since he really did follow her words, then maybe she should try again.


"Go back to her place and talk to her." Aerri said. He still stood there in silence, but Aerri could hear that the voice in his mind that used to be so soft sounded a bit louder than usual. "Go back and talk to her. Now." Aerri said again.


So he did. He turned around, opened the gate of his best friend's house, and knocked on the door. Aerri stood behind him, thinking about what just happened. Did he actually hear her? But that wouldn't be possible would it?


A few seconds later, the girl opened the door. She didn't say anything but to raise her eyebrow at him, silently asking him what he wanted.


"I need.. I need to talk about something to you." he said to her. "Can I come in?"


She stepped aside from the door, letting him inside her house even though she still hadn't said a word. After he stepped inside the house, she closed the door and walked towards the dining room with him following behind her. He took a seat on the dining table while she took 2 cans of soda from the fridge. She put one of the soda in front of him while she took a seat beside him.


He held the soda can in his hand, feeling the cold slightly numb his hand. "Why didn't you want to go out with my friend?" he asked her.


Aerri sighed. She could hear the soft voice in his mind telling him to just come clean to his best friend and just tell her the truth. But that louder voice in his mind was still trying to stop him.


"It's none of your business." the girl said coldly.


Aerri just couldn't hold it in any longer. So she pushed him again to listen to that soft voice in his head. "Just cut to the chase, please." Aerri said.


The boy sighed and said to the girl, "But it matters to me."


Aerri stomped her feet, starting to get frustrated. "Just say it, please." Aerri whispered to him.


Then, much to everyone in the room's surprise, the words burst out from his lips. "I like you." he said to her.


And before the girl said anything else, a flood of words went through his lips, as if he couldn't hold it all anymore now that the plug had been taken off.


"I know I'm probably leaving soon, and after I leave I'd probably fade away behind all the other friends you have. Especially after you got into college and meet new friends. And some of those friends are probably some hot guys that would want to be with you or something like that. It's your choice to like them back. I'm not telling you to not like other guys or whatever. But I like you. Not just as a friend. I just want to tell you that."


Aerri burst out laughing at the boy's cute awkwardness, while the girl just stared at the boy, obviously surprised at his weird sudden confession.


"And.. you're telling me this because.... ?" she asked him cautiously.


"No reason at all." he answered.


"You're not aiming to get something or anything after you confessed to me?"


"No."


"So you're not asking me to be your girlfriend or something?"


"No."


"Why?"


"Cause I might leave soon. So why bother?"


"What if I liked you too? You still don't want me to be your girlfriend?"


He hesitated slightly before answering, "No? I guess not?"


Aerri gasped when the girl suddenly leaned closer to him and kissed him on the lips. The kiss was innocent and lasted only for a few seconds. But it was still came out of the blue. Aerri chuckled at how the girl was bolder than the boy.


"How about now? You still don't want me to be your girlfriend?" she whispered after they kissed.


"You know I'm leaving soon, right?" he said.


"I don't care."


Then they kissed again, this time he was the one who started it. But this kiss wasn't as innocent as the first one, as this one got heated quickly.


"Whoah.. whoah.. stop it you, guys.. I wanted you two to be together. I never told you to get pregnant even before you started college." Aerri laughed and shouted at them. "Guys!"


They broke off the kiss, staring at each other in surprise. Then, their giggle appeared out of nowhere.


"So.. We'll just see what happened later, ok?" he asked her.


"Yes."


"For now, you're my girlfriend."


"Yes." she grinned.


"So if someone asked me if they could ask you out or not, I have the right to kick their ?"


She laughed and said, "You can always tell them that I'm seeing someone else without starting a fight."


"Ok then." he grinned.


Aerri stood beside them, grinning along with them, feeling so happy with the surprising outcome of her work. Now she can happily leave them alone.


"Bye, guys." she said to them. "Don't do anything stupid, ok? Be safe and always remember to wear protection." Aerri laughed. "What am I saying? You're too young! Wait until you're a little older, ok? You're still high school students for god sakes.." Aerri laughed again.


Then she left the house, feeling her steps a bit lighter than she ever felt since a few weeks ago. She wondered if what she had done was breaking the rule. But the last time she broke the rule, she was summoned back up almost immediately. But seeing how she was still half skipping on the streets of Seoul, then she probably didn't break any rule. Did what just happened with the couple really happened because of what she did?


But she shoved everything to the back of her mind. She didn't want to think about anything for the moment. She was happy. Genuinely happy. She hadn't felt like that for a while. So she was going to enjoy it for as long as she can.


But then she remembered about the report that she needed to finish. She already got an update on all of the couples

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter