Jealousy

Cupid's Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The weather was nice that day. Well, the weather is always nice at the dorm. But that day the weather felt even better because they get to spend it outside.


When they had breakfast that day, Sara noticed that all 5 of them got a day off. The opportunity to have some picnic lunch at the park just couldn't be missed. So they packed some food, and spent some time together under the sun on the lovely day.


Dae was trying to get them to have a picnic at the beach instead of the park. But he got outvoted by the others who were trying to avoid the blistering sun at the beach. So they spent the afternoon in the park by playing a little bit of soccer (Seunghyun and Dae), being two lovebirds under the sun (Bae and Sara), and reading (Aerri). And when their hunger got unbearable, they had a nice late lunch under the sun. After all their meal had been devoured blissfully, they clean up and make their way back to the dorm.


"I'm telling you, we should've gone to the beach instead." Dae said, slightly pouting.


"Oh look at you, pouting baby." Sara grinned. "Why are you so eager to go to the beach, Bae?" Sara asked. But from the twinkle in her eyes, Aerri had a feeling that she already know the answer to her question.


"No reason. Just wanted to go to the beach." Dae shrugged, while Sara's grin got even wider. Aerri raised her eyebrow at Sara, questioning her words in silence. But Sara just chuckled and said, "How about we stop by at the beach for a while now? If the others are ok with it? The sun's not that mean anymore at this hour." Sara asked. When all of them agreed, a big smile appeared on Dae's bright face.


Sara was talking with Bae who walked beside her. So Aerri walked in silence, enjoying the warm weather and the sounds of other Reapers and Cupids in the park. Their sounds were almost mute compared to the sounds of people's minds that she heard whenever she was among the living. It can be tiring to keep the living's voices down, so it was nice to just listen to sounds without having to try to mute them down.


She watched Seunghyun who was walking beside Dae in front of her. "How the hell could he manage to look hot even from the back?" she wondered silently. Thankfully no one could hear her thoughts.


She missed him. With her being obsessed trying to find a connection with Jiyong for 2 weeks before, Aerri never got a chance to spend some time with Seunghyun again since the day when he showed her around the dorm. But even since she finished her job with Jiyong a few days before, Aerri was kinda avoiding opportunities of being alone with Seunghyun. She still remembered how sad and slightly distant Seunghyun looked when he mentioned his 'friend' who taught him how to jump. And when she realized that the 'friend' was Ai, Aerri figured that Ai was still important for Seunghyun. Him not wanting to share about jumping to their other friends helped her reach that conclusion too.


Aerri knew it was stupid to feel jealous for a girl she had never met before. But she couldn't do anything about it, could she? It was like a disease that couldn't be cured.


"Aerri?" Sara's voice dragged Aerri out of her thoughts.


"Hm?"


"What's wrong?"


"What do you mean?"


"First, for the last few weeks, you spent almost your whole day outside the dorm that you basically were missing for days. Then, you were quieter than usual these last couple of days. You were usually.. chatty."


"Wow.. Seeing how you got concerned just because I talk a little less, I must have been a really chatty girl." Aerri laughed.


"Sort of." Sara chuckled. "But really.. is there anything wrong?"


"I'm fine, Sara. Nothing's wrong. Really." Aerri smiled.


"Are you sure?" Sara asked again.


"Yes, I'm sure." Since finding out about Jiyong, the last couple of weeks had been a bit weird for Aerri. But Aerri never really thought that it affect her that much. However, seeing the concerned look on Sara's face, the matter probably affect her more than she thought.


"Ok then." Sara smiled. Then she turned around to approach Bae who were standing on the beach with his pants rolled up to his calves, enjoying the sea water on his feet. Sara smiled at him as she linked arms with him. The couple was being a pair of lovebirds again.


Aerri glanced to Dae and Seunghyun who were talking to a girl. Since everybody was busy with themselves, Aerri decided to take a little stroll. So she took her shoes off and carried them in her hand. Then, she walked along the beach, enjoying the feel of soft wet sand between her toes and the caress of cold seawater on her feet.


She walked and walked, enjoying her moment of solitude. When her feet started to feel tired, she considered to go back to where her friends were. But she liked the silence that surrounded her. So she stopped and laid down on the sand. Who cares if the sand would got into her hair and clothes?


She closed her eyes, enjoying the warm sun on her face and the hypnotizing sound of the sea. "This is nice." she thought. "I should consider going here regularly just to unwind."


After a moment of silence, she could hear that deep voice whispering for her. "Hey."


She opened her eyes and looked up to see Seunghyun standing above her. The sun was behind him, so the rays of the sun made him looked as if he had a halo above his head. He looked like a glowing gorgeous angel.


"Hey." she answered.


"What are you doing here?" he asked as he laid down beside her.


"Nothing." she shrugged. "What are you doing here?"


"Running away from the couples on the other side of the beach."


"Couples?"


"Couples. Sara and Bae, and Dae and his crush."


"Aaaahhh.. so that's why he wanted to go to the beach so much. Is she the girl you were talking to just now?"


"Yup. He ditched me as soon as the girl asked him if he wanted to get some ice cream with her."


Aerri laughed at Seunghyun's scowling face. "You sound like a jealous boyfriend."


"I feel like an empty soda can that got crushed and thrown away. When she asked him 'You want to get some ice cream?', he instantly said 'Bye Seunghyun!' and left me! He didn't even have the decency to even pretend to ask me if I wanted some ice cream too or not!" Seunghyun said, mimicking the high pitched voice of the girl and Dae's voice as he pouted exaggeratedly, making Aerri laugh even louder.


"Well, I guess all logic and decency went out the window when people are in love." she laughed.


Her words got no reply from Seunghyun. He suddenly went silent, looking as if he was thinking about something. But his next words surprised Aerri.


"Is that why you still meet up with Seungri even though I already told you not to?" he asked her.


"What? What do you mean?"


He went silent again. Then he sighed loudly and spew out his words a bit too quickly, as if he was pushing himself to say the words. "I saw you with Seungri the other day. When you told Dae that you had problems with your work, I followed you to see if I could help you. But I saw you entered a club, and Seungri followed you seconds later."


Aerri looked at Seunghyun, trying to asses his expression to see what was inside his mind. But he was looking the other way.


"Just tell me the truth, Aerri. I just wanted to know." he said again. "Did you lose your logic? Are you dating a Rogue even after what I told you about Ai?"


"What makes you think that?"


"Cause Ai used to date him before she got banished." he answered quickly.


Before he said his last sentence, Aerri wondered why he was acting so weird. But when he told her that Ai used to date Seungri, the jealousy that oozed from his words were too obvious to be ignored.


So it was true then? One of the reason for the hatred between the two Seunghyuns was because Ai dating Ri? And Seunghyun is still jealous until now? So he still love Ai?


The conclusion was not a surprise to Aerri. What surprised her was how much sadness and jealousy she suddenly felt.

--------------------


"Cause Ai used to date him before she got banished." he answered quickly. He bit his lips to prevent the next words that he was going to say when he realized that the jealousy he felt was seeping through his words. He was going to say that he didn't want her to be with Seungri. But it was going to be too obvious if he said it. So he stayed silent, waiting for her to give an answer. But God damn it, why was she taking so long just to answer such a simple question? Every seconds that passed by without her answer felt like torture for him.


Finally, she answered him. "No, Seunghyun. I'm not dating Ri. And that day I went to the club to work, because my target was there. And Ri saw me, followed me, and we had a little chat. That's it."


Silently, he sighed in relief. Hopefully, she was telling him the truth. But why did she look so sad when she answered him?


"You're telling me the truth?"


"Yes, I am." 

Seunghyun sighed and said, “Look. I don’t have any right to forbid you to see anyone at all. But please, Aerri. Be careful with Seungri.”


“Thanks, Seunghyun. But I guess you just gotta trust me and my judgement. I don’t want to do anything stupid either.” she answered.


She seemed to be telling the truth. And God knows how much he wanted to believe her words. So he took her words. How much relief he felt was rather surprising cause he never thought he'd feel that insecure just because he saw her with someone.


"How's your work then? Are you done with it?" he asked her, trying to change the subject to distract his mind.


"Yes. Finished the job a couple of days ago."


"That's great. Dae said it wasn't like you to take a lot of time just to finish a job. He said you always did a great job."


Her silence made him glance her way again curiously. But she was still closing her eyes and he still couldn't read her.


Then, she suddenly said, "It took me a while to finish my job because I got distracted." she said as she opened her eyes and looked at him. "My target was that rapper I told you about. The one who released my song."


He couldn't push a single word out of his lips as he tried to digest the new information.


"The other day, when you showed me around the dorm, I really meant it when I told you that I was going to leave the matter alone. I was really determined to forget about that guy and I wasn't going to try to find out anything about him. But then, the next day, Dae tasked me to match him." she explained. "Basically, the universe is a troll." she chuckled.


"So what happened?" It was the only thing he managed to push out of his stunned lips.


"A short obsession of trying to find any connection with him. That was what happened." she snickered at herself. "At first I couldn't find any connection that would explain why I feel like I knew him, even though I really felt like I do know him. But then, after 2 weeks, I finally found out that my familiarity was right. I really did know him."


"You did?"


"I think I used to date him." she laughed softly. "Part of me was like 'Damn it why did I have to die?' Cause I definitely bagged quite a rich handsome guy there. But then again, apparently he cheated on me, so I probably couldn't keep him even if I was alive anyway."


"How did you found out?"


"He said it in his mind."


"And.. how do you feel about it?"


"What do you mean?"


"I mean.. is the reason you took a long time to match him was because you don't want to match him? Because you still like him or something?"


She thought about the question. "I don't think so. I mean.. The only reason I took some time to match him was only because I was trying to find my connection with him."


"You didn't feel jealous or anything towards your girl target?"


"Unf.. I hate her alright. But not because of jealousy or envy. That girl is a sad excuse of a woman. Seriously, I couldn't find anything good about her other than her looks."


"Are you sure it wasn't jealousy?" he asked her.


"Yes. In fact, there's this girl that worked with him. A lyricist. If I could match them, I'd match them in a heartbeat. They're so cute together and she's a great girl. I don't get why I'm tasked to match him with the that is my girl target when there's someone else more fitting for him." she said as she shook her head. "I'm sure it's not jealousy. I know jealousy." she whispered.


Please Subscribe to read the full chapter