Temptations & Revelations

Cupid's Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Aerri had been standing in front of her closet for a minute now, trying to decide what to wear to Jiyong's concert. She was in the mood for a little dressing up, hoping that it would cheer her up a little. But she also didn't want to be overdressed. After all, it was just a concert. But she had been drawing blank for a minute. So she just randomly pulled out her loose sleeveless striped shirt and her short bodycon skirt from her closet. Her favorite flat ankle boots would do just fine for the rest of the outfit. And since the weather is just slightly getting colder, she also took her bomber jacket with her. She tied her hair and put on a lipstick, and she's done.
 

She took a glance at the mirror, wondering if she should pick out another outfit. But since she decided that she was too lazy to change her clothes again, she'd just have to be happy with what she was wearing.


Soon after, she left her room, quickly going down the stairs while wishing that she wouldn't meet Sara on her way out. Sara would definitely bombarded her with questions if she saw her in a different outfit other then her usual get up of jeans and t-shirt.


Thankfully, she didn't bump into Sara. Instead, she passed by Dae on her way out of the dorm.


"Hey, Aerri."


"Dae! Perfect timing! I've been looking for you all day."


"Why? What's wrong?"


"Nothing's wrong. I just want to tell you to not worry about my questions yesterday. You know, the ones about the other dorms? I don't want you to think that I'm not enjoying my time here or that I’m even considering to ask for a transfer. I'm not even thinking to move out, ok? I was just curious." she explained.


"Oh.. ok then."


"So don't worry, ok? Cause you look worried when I left you yesterday." she chuckled. "I'm sorry if I made you worried."


"That's ok. At least now I know that you know that you can ask about anything to me." he gave her that bright smile of his.


"Yes. Of course i know that." she smiled back.


"You're going out?"


"Yup."


"Aaahh.. all dressed up and pretty for a date."


"Nope. Not a date. I'm going out by myself." she chuckled.


"Huh?"


"Gotta go now, Dae. Bye!" The confused look on Dae's face was rather hilarious. But she better leave before he started asking questions about her plan that night. She was just going to see her friend/faux brother/ex-boyfriend perform in his solo concert. Nothing wrong with that, right?


She walked through the lush fields, and in no time she appeared in front of a big stadium. The place was full of people, buzzing in adrenaline of pre-concert excitement. Huge banners with Jiyong's face on it can be seen pretty much everywhere around the stadium. Fans were already lining up in to the stadium with happy faces. The excitement is contagious, cause soon enough Aerri was grinning wide from ear to ear.


Aerri took advantage of her invisible soul state and march in the stadium, pushing through everyone else. But she couldn't figure out how to get to her seat. So she found a rather secluded spot and turned into her human form. She showed her ticket to a staff and got directed to a part of the stadium to get to her seat. Then, she found her way to her seat easily. The seat was perfect, as she got a clear view of both the whole stage and the big screen.


She sat on her seat, silently watching the big stadium slowly get filled with fans. The stadium is quite big, and she was amazed at how there were so many people that had come to see Jiyong's performance. She knew Jiyong was pretty big, but seeing how he managed to gather this many fans in one place was quite a reminder of how popular he is. No wonder he was surprised when she, in her human form, acted like she didn't recognize him. She chuckled softly when she remembered about his cockiness.


She felt proud of Jiyong's achievement. The feeling came out of nowhere, considering that she only remembered a bit about him and that she only knew his journey to this stardom through the small bits of story that she read from her diary entry. But somehow, she was feeling proud of him, as if her heart knew how much he had done to reach his dream, even though her mind couldn't recall any of it.


Minutes later, she saw familiar figures on the corner of her eyes. She glanced to the side and see a man and a woman slowly move to the seat in front of her.


"Are you sure this is where we're suppose to sit, sweetie?" the woman asked the man.


"Yes. The staff pointed us to this direction, so I think we're where we were suppose to be." he answered.


"Ok then. I hope we're not making a mistake." she said again as she took a seat in front of Aerri.


When she decided to see Jiyong's concert, she only wanted to see his performance. She never really thought about the possibility of seeing his parents, -her parents-, in person. So Aerri frozed for a moment, slightly overwhelmed by the flood of feelings she had when she saw them.


Even if she never found out that Jiyong's parents raised her since her parents died, she knew she would've recognize them anyway. The warmth of their presence that she felt was too significant to be ignored. She really did love the man and woman, probably just as much as she loved her own parents. But then again, how can she not love the man and woman who had raise her so lovingly?


"Oh my God. Look at all these people." Aerri could hear Mrs. Kwon talking to her husband. "They're all here for our little boy!" she whispered as she swept her gaze throughout the whole stadium..


"Yes, dear. They're here for the rapper that you used to drag to ballet school. The little boy that cried because he was forced to wear pink tights and ballerina tutu had done pretty well." Mr. Kwon chuckled.


"Oh shush.. he looked cute in those pink tights anyway." Mrs. Kwon said as her husband laugh along with her.


Aerri tried to hold back her chuckle and the warm smile that threatened to appear on her face. She didn't want them to know that she's eavesdropping, afraid that they would talk more discreetly and she couldn't hear them anymore. She wanted to hear them talk. She even wanted to hear what was on their mind. There were almost too many people in the stadium that it was a bit hard to hear the man and the woman talk, in real and in their mind. But she wanted to hear them, just to satisfy her curiosity, as if she was still able to join in their conversation. As if she was still a part of their life.


"I just wish Aerri and Seunghyun were here to see this." Mrs. Kwon suddenly said.


"Now now.. don't get all sad again." her husband said.


"I'm not sad. I'm just.. imagining what could have been. I have a feeling that Seunghyun could be on stage just like Jiyong. They used to rap together, remember? While Aerri, she would be so proud of them. Especially since she used to help them with their music too."


"They're in a better place now, sweetie. Don't worry." her husband said, rubbing her back lovingly.


Bittersweet was not enough to describe how Aerri felt the moment she heard Mrs. Kwon talking about her and Seunghyun. From the way the lady talked about them, it was clear how much she cared about them. It took Aerri a lot of effort to not jump and hug the woman, telling her that she was right there with them and that she was alright.


Aerri's eyes suddenly felt hot. But crying in a stadium full of people was definitely not what she wanted to do. So she glanced her way throughout the whole stadium again, trying to distract her mind and stop herself from crying. After a few deep breath, she was finally able to calm her nerves. So she stole another glance to the couple in front of her.


But to her surprise, Mrs. Kwon was staring at her.


"Hi, dear. You're here to see the concert?" Mrs. Kwon asked her.


"Of course she's here for the concert, honey. What else do you think she would be doing here?" Mr. Kwon said before Aerri could say anything. "I'm sorry. She's a little excited today." he added to Aerri, chuckling softly.


"No, that's ok." Aerri laughed. "Yes. I'm here for the concert." she answered.


"Are you a fan of Jiyong? I mean, are you a fan of G-Dragon?" she asked Aerri again.


"I do like his songs." Aerri chuckled.


"Really? Which one is your favorite?"


"Um.. i like almost all of them." Aerri lied, cause the truth was she only had heard one song from Jiyong, which was the song that she made. "But my favorite is the 'Untitled' one." she chuckled.


"Aahh.. I like that song too! Do you know that the song was written by my daughter?" Mrs. Kwon said excitedly.


"Really? The song is great. She must have been quite a songwriter." Aerri laughed, slightly embarrassed for complementing herself.


Mrs. Kwon just smiled, still staring at her. Aerri smiled back at her, slightly curious of what she had in mind. But the lady didn't say any words, through her lips nor through her mind. Before Aerri could say anything else, music started to blast in the stadium. The concert is about to start.


"Enjoy your night." Mrs. Kwon said to Aerri before she turned her back to face the stage excitedly.


"Enjoy your night too... Mom and Dad." Aerri whispered in her mind. She lingered on the warmth that she felt for them. But there was no use to hold on to it any longer. It would only make her feel sad again. So she directed her eyes to the stage, just in time to see Jiyong appearing on stage.


Jiyong performed song after song after song, including songs from his debut album. His energy seemed to be endless as he command the stage, sometimes dancing along with the dancers, rapping at some moments and singing at the other, running from one end of the stage to the other. All eyes were on him, as his fans were transfixed at him and only him. Aerri grinned the whole time, amazed at how the energy of the guy on stage could be felt all the way to her seat. Her ex-boyfriend was actually a really great performer.


Then suddenly, that familiar music was played on the piano. The intro of her song. The song that pretty much the reason why she found out about Jiyong and her family. The song that she knew by heart that she still remember about it even though she already got her memory erased after she died.


She'd heard that melody many times before, blasted in music stores, hummed in people's mind, and played on her guitar. But hearing it again in that stadium, the song being sung by Jiyong, and with her parents sitting in front of her, she was once again ambushed by overwhelming feelings. She wondered what inspired her to write the song. There was no mention in her diary about the song and the inspiration for the song.


When the song was over, Jiyong didn't go straight to next song. Instead, he thanked his audience for coming to his first concert. He also talked for a little bit.


"Do you like the song that I just performed?" he asked his fans. When he heard them cheering "Yes!", he just laughed.


"I'm glad that you like it. I really like it too. The song was written by someone close to me. She used to play it with her guitar most of the time, so I think the song is also important for her. I'm just happy that she allowed me to have this song and perform it."


Aerri never thought that laughing and crying at the same time was possible. But that was exactly what she did after hearing Jiyong's words. She chuckled silently as she felt tears started to brim her eyes. How come she became such a cry baby on the last couple of days?


Thankfully she didn't shed much tear as she managed to control herself once more. Her attention was back on the stage, especially after she heard Jiyong's next words.


"The next song was also written by someone close to me. He was a best friend, a big brother, and a bit of a rival too, cause he also raps. But he taught me a lot of things. I found the lyrics for this next song from his notebook, so I kinda used it without his permission." he chuckled. "But I think he wouldn't mind that I used his lyrics. And I hope he likes the way I rap it."


Then, he proceeds to sing the next song, a rap heavy song about a boy who was chasing the sun, trying hard to reach his dream. Aerri listened to every word from the lyrics, knowing that it was most probably written by Seunghyun. He's a great lyricist. And Jiyong also did a great job in turning his lyric to a great song.


After Seunghyun's song, Jiyong continued to perform more songs from his album. The concert was amazing. And Aerri knew she was not the only one to think so, cause the energy from the audience was alive until the end of the concert. The fun experience felt like a flash of excitement that lasted only for a few minutes. Cause before Aerri realized it, Jiyong had already done his encore and finished his performance.


Aerri stayed in her seat for a moment, waiting until some or even most of the audience are out of the stadium. While waiting, she saw Ji's parents stood up and left their seat. Mrs. Kwon smiled and nodded at her before she left. Aerri only smiled softly at them, a bit sad that they're going to part ways once more. But life goes on. Or probably in her case, death goes on?


As she watched the other fans slowly left the stadium, Aerri wondered if she should follow Jiyong's instruction to go backstage. Should she go and meet him? She shouldn't, but she wanted to. For a moment, when she met Jiyong's parents and while she was enjoying Jiyong's concert, it was as if she forgot that she was only a physiqueless soul. The human body that she uses to appear in front of the living was fake. It was borrowed. But for the last short 2 hours or so, she felt as if she was still alive. And now that the concert is over, she just wanted to hold on to that feeling a bit longer.


So she gave up to the temptation and decided to head backstage. She stood up and got out of the concert area. Circling around the stadium, she looked for a door that Jiyong mentioned on the note he gave her the week before. When she finally found it, the door was guarded by a big bodyguard. Aerri could've easily approach him and tell him the password Jiyong gave her to get through the guard. But there was some fans hanging out not far from where the guard was standing, probably hoping to catch a glimpse of Jiyong when he left. Aerri was not keen on getting curious gaze from those fans if they saw her getting backstage. So once again she turned back to her soul form in a secluded spot. Then she marched through the doors, getting to the backstage easily.


It seemed that the buzz of the fans in the stadium had moved to the backstage area. Staffs are still busy doing their work, but their face seem a bit relaxed, since most of their hardwork are done. Aerri strolled around, trying to find a place where she could turn back to her human form. Thankfully, she found a tiny broom closet. She turned to her human form and got out of the broom closet, earning a confused stare from a staff who happened to pass by. She smiled awkwardly at him before asking him, "Do you know where I can find Jiyong? He told me to go back here but I couldn't find him."


"Oh. Well, that's a broom closet you were in, so he's definitely not in there." the staff said as he stared at Aerri. Aerri could hear how his mind wondered as he tried to asses if she was really Jiyong's acquantaince or if she was a crazy fan that managed to sneak in. So he decided to take her personally to Jiyong. If she turned out to be an intruding fan, then he could her out himself.


"Follow me. I'll take you to Jiyong." the staff said.


Aerri followed him along the hallway, taking some turns here and there. In no time she could see Jiyong talking excitedly to a man and a woman. When he saw Aerri, the smile on his face turned into a goofy grin.


"Eri!" he waved at her from afar.


The staff pat Aerri on her back as she said "thank you" to him, thanking him for taking her to Jiyong. Then he left, back to his work after he was sure that Aerri was not a psycho fan.


Aerri approached Jiyong slowly, suddenly questioning her own decision for meeting him backstage.


"Hi, Jiyong." she smiled.


"Glad you decided to come!" he grinned.


"Well, why waste a free concert ticket?" she chuckled as she finally stood beside the man and woman whom Jiyong talked to previously. Only then did she realize that the man and woman that stood in front of Jiyong are his parents.


"Oh, hi! We meet again! You're Jiyong's friend?" Mrs. Kwon asked her cheerfully as Aerri slightly bowed to them.


"You guys have met?" Jiyong asked his mom.


"Yes. She sat right behind us and I talked to her before concert started." Mrs. Kwon answered.


"Well then, Eri.. this is my mother and father. Mom and Dad, this is Eri. She's a friend of mine." Jiyong introduced them.


"Nice to meet you." Aerri smiled at the man and woman. It's weird to be introduced to the man and woman who she actually already recognized as the people who raised her.


"It's nice to see that our son has such a pretty and kind friend, right dear?" Mrs. Kwon asked her husband.


"Alright, Mom. I know where you're heading so let me stop you there and ask you to wait in my dressing room. It's over here." Jiyong chuckled as he directed his parents to the door next to him. He escorted his parents in the room and came back to Aerri the next second.


"So.. what do you think about the concert?" he grinned.


"It's great. Now I know why you said that you have a lot of fans. It turns out you have a whole stadium full of fans to back-up your cockiness." Aerri laughed.


"I told you." he laughed along. "But you really like the concert? Come on, this is my first solo concert and I need someone to rub my ego a little bit here." he asked her again.


"And the stadium full of fans that basically cheered and screamed at every little thing you did on the last couple of hours was not enough for your ego? If that was not enough for your ego, than nothing would satisfy it." Aerri said.


"I know something that would satisfy my ego." he grinned. "How about you finally give me your number? I wanted to call you last night to ask if you were coming here or not. But then I remember that I still haven't got your number."


His sudden question surprised her and she scolded herself. "See, Aerri? This is why you shouldn't have come backstage." said that tiny little voice in her head, grumbling in an 'i told you so' manner.


When he saw Aerri staying silent, Jiyong chuckled. "I don't think I've ever failed on trying to get a girl's number after trying this hard. But I guess there's always a first time for everything."


"I'm sorry, Jiyong. But I shouldn't. And I can't." Aerri said. She knew that her words were vague, but she simply couldn't explain more than she did.


"Can't say that I'm not disappointed." he gave her a small smile.


That moment, a girl appeared and a gave Jiyong a big kiss on his cheek.


"Babyyyy.. I'm so proud of you!!! The concert was awesome!" the girl said.


"Mira? What are you doing here? How did you get in here?" Jiyong asked, staring in annoyance at the model as he wipe her lipstick stain off his cheek.


"I just have to meet you after seeing your amazing performance, babe. Besides, you haven't contact me for weeks now. I suppose you were busy because of the concert preparation. But the concert's over, so you must have time to hang out with me now, right? I miss you, you know." The girl was blatantly flirting at Jiyong, touching his chest, and half whispering her words seductively.


"Who's this?" Mira suddenly noticed Aerri standing in front of Jiyong. She stared up and down at Aerri, as if Aerri was a dirty and smelly alley cat that just pissed in her favorite shoe.


"She's Eri, my new friend." Jiyong answered. Aerri held her hand out to Mira for a handshake, but Mira just stared at her, ignoring Aerri's good will.


"New friend, huh?" Mira smirked. "Does this new friend of yours got the same benefit as I am?" she asked Jiyong.


"That is none of your business, Mira." he answered coldly.


His cold tone seemed to stunned Mira. So she went back to her flirty mode, certain that Jiyong wouldn't be able to resist her. "Come on, babe. Spend some time with me tonight, ok? We'll have fun together."


Aerri rolled her eyes at Mira's obvious ways, making Jiyong chuckle when he saw her disgusted face. "I still have some things to do here, so you go ahead to Club A." he said to Mira.


Thinking that her flirting worked on melting Jiyong's cold facade, Mira gave him another kiss on the cheek and left after smirking in satisfaction at Aerri.


"What a nice friend you have there. Really friendly." Aerri said sarcastically.


"Not a friend. Just a mistake. In fact, I have every intention to avoid her. I have no idea how she got back here. I never sent her a ticket or told her to go backstage." Jiyong laughed.


"You're avoiding her? Yet you're hanging out with her tonight."


"I only told her to go to Club A. I never said that I was going there too." Jiyong said softly. He seemed to be slightly embarrassed for what he just did.


"You meanie!" Aerri gasp. "Now I'm grateful that I didn't give you my number." she added half-jokingly.


"I'm never like that to my friends, ok. Like I said, she was a mistake and I just want to shake her off. She just couldn't take a hint."


"I have a feeling that she just didn't want to take the hint."


"I probably have to say it directly to her face soon." he sighed.


"Judging by the glimpse of her personality that I get just now, she definitely wouldn't take your rejection easily. You better prepare yourself." Aerri chuckled.


"I know. I told you, she was a mistake."


"You really should re-evaluate your taste in women and aim to get better women." Aerri chuckled.


"I am. But she wouldn't give me her number."


Aerri looked at the smiling boy, shaking her head at his words. She wondered if he was always like this, even when he approached her when she was alive. If he was, then she understands why she decided to be with him even though she knew she was still in love with Seunghyun. Jiyong was not an easy person to say no to.


"I'm sorry. I couldn't help it." he laughed when he saw the look of disbelieve on Aerri's face. "But you should know that I'm asking for your number not only because I wanted to date you. Even if you don't want to be with me romantically, I'd still love to be your friend."


"Is this one of your pick up lines? Cause I can't see why you wanted to be my friend so much when we've only met like 3 times before this. You know nothing about me."


"I told you, I'm drawn to you. I wasn't lying or trying to woo you or anything like that when I said that i'm drawn to you."


Aerri had always wondered why is it still possible that someone could still recognize a person that are close to them even though a Reaper had already erased their memory. But then she also wondered how someone was still able to recognize a person important to them, even though that person doesn't look the same. How could that familiarity able to overcome the lack of memory and the difference of appearance? The heavens should do something about this, cause it's definitely not making Cupids and Reapers job any easier.


"I'm sorry, Jiyong." she whispered. "T

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter