Curiosity

Cupid's Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When she woke up that morning, she felt like she had only fallen asleep for 5 minutes. She stared at her ceiling, half wondering why she woke up so suddenly. But when a few seconds later she heard a knock on her door, she realized that the knocking sound was the noise that woke her up.


"Who is it?" she asked rather groggily.


"It's me, Aerri." The deep voice answered from behind the door. Aerri could recognize his distinct voice anytime, the timbre of his voice always had an effect on her emotion. Happy, longing, sad, and more. That morning, the voice jolt her mind to a whirl, trying to decide if she was going to open the door for him or not. After almost a whole night of thinking, she still couldn't decide if she was going to confront Seunghyun and tell him that she knew about their dorm room or not. Should she ask him why he didn't say anything when he found out that they basically had the same dorm room? She was curious, but at the same time slightly afraid of how she would react to his answer.


Since she still couldn't make up her mind, once again the safest choice would be to act like nothing was wrong. Besides, she was not ready for a drama in the morning.


"Just a second." she answered back to the boy behind the door as she glanced to her mirror. She sighed when she notices the slight swelling on her eyes, thanks to the excessive crying she had the night before. She went to the bathroom and wash her face, hoping that some cold water would help with her eyes. Then, she dried her face and head out from her bathroom to open the door. She grabbed the door knob as she took a deep breath and opened her door.


"Hi, Seunghyun." she greeted him with a smile, wishing hard that he wouldn't notice her swollen eyes. But she knew that her simple wish was not granted, because his goofy grin turned into a concerned look as soon as he laid eyes on her.


"Hi, Aerri. I'm sorry I woke you up." he said.


"That's ok. Come in."


"Thanks, but I got to work soon. I just stopped by to apologize for canceling our practice on the last minute last night. Problem is, I'd have to cancel our plan for tonight too. So, we only have tomorrow night and the night after that, which is already Friday night. Do you think 2 meetings to practice for our performance is enough?"


"Umh.. I think so.. I only have to play the guitar, right? We're not making a new song or anything?"


"Actually.. I wrote some lyrics for a new song yesterday and I was hoping that we would perform them." His shy smile was back on his lips, though his eyes were still observing her carefully.


"Oh.. ok. Um.. Do you already have something in mind for the song?"


"No." he chuckled. "That's why i'm here. Here's the lyrics for the rap. I think you can figure out something to play along when I'm rapping the lyrics. You can add more lyrics for you to sing if you want." he said, handing her a piece of paper that he pulled out from his pocket.


"Seunghyun! Do you think I'm some kind of musical prodigy or something? I can't just pull some melody out of my head and make a song just like that."


"Somehow I think you can." he laughed, pushing the piece of paper into her hands.


"Seunghyun..."


"Just read the lyrics, ok?" he said again, not allowing her to say anything else. "I'm not forcing you to make something from it. If you managed to come up with something, that would be wonderful. But if not, then we'll figure something out tomorrow night when we meet. Ok?"


She glanced at his writings on the piece of paper and sighed. "Ok. Just don't scold me if I ruin your lyrics, ok?"


"You won't." he said. "Oh, I almost forgot. Is it ok if we meet up at the apartment tomorrow night?"


"Um.. sure. At 7?" she asked, half wondering if she was going to meet Ai at his apartment. She was not keen to have that boiling jealousy again. She knew just the sight of Ai interacting with Seunghyun would bring back all that green envy inside her. And she doesn't like herself when she feel that way.


"Ok. Thanks so much for your trouble. I hope you don't mind going to the apartment. But Ai was supposed to come to the apartment tomorrow night, so I think I should be at the apartment."


There it was again. That pang of jealousy that appeared whenever she saw how much Seunghyun cared for Ai. Aerri wished there was an 'off' switch or button to make her stop that stupid jealousy she felt.


"No trouble at all." she said softly, forcing a smile to appear on her face.


She looked up at him, noticing that he was still looking at her, still with a worried look on his face. "Didn't you say you have work to do?" she asked him.


"I... " he opened his mouth, seemingly trying to say something. Then he finally pushed some words out of his lips. "Are you ok, Aerri? You look like you've been crying."


"What do you mean?" she asked, giving her best effort to put up an 'i-dont-know-what-you're-talking-about' look on her face. "Is this your way of telling me that I look awful in the morning?" she said. Sarcasm and jokes had always been her choice to mask her true feeling.


"No.. I'm not saying that you look awful. I just thought that you've been crying, cause your eyes look a bit swollen." he explained quickly.


"What makes you think that I have any reason to cry?" she said, looking at him straight into his eyes, silently hoping that he didn't realize that she was answering his question with more question, just so that she didn't have to answer his question directly. She didn't wanna tell him the truth yet, but she still didn't want to lie either.


He looked at her, as if trying to see if she was hiding something from him. "I just know that something's bothering you. But I'll never know the reason why you're sad if you never said anything to me, right?"


His words surprised her, simply because his words made her feel like he really care for her. Maybe she should ask him about why he didn't say anything about their dorm room? But somehow she felt like she didn't want to bring that matter up and to hear his explanation. If there was anything that her overnight thinking and crying gave her, it was the realization that she needed to move on. There was no use of being stuck in this wallowing feeling. And to move on, she just needed to stop looking back.


According to the last entry on her diary, when she was alive, she was planning to take the first step to move on and get over her feelings for him by moving to her aunt’s place in Japan. Aerri kinda wondered if she did manage to do that before she died. Nevertheless, she should probably take that first step again. She has to move on. And confronting Seunghyun about the fact that they had the same dorm room wouldn't do any good. She didn't need to know why he hid truth from her. His reason must not matter to her anymore.


So she merely gave him a small smile and said, "You should go now, Seunghyun. You don't want to get into trouble for being late for work."


She caught a glimpse of desperation in his dark eyes before he diverted his gaze as he sighed. "Whatever it is that you have in your mind that was bothering you, you would feel better if you talk to someone, Aerri." he said.


"It's weird to hear that from someone who is hiding and helping a banished soul in his apartment all these years without telling anyone else about it, not even his best friends." Aerri chuckled rather loudly and bitterly.


"Aerri.. that's.."


But before he said anything further, Aerri cut off his words and said, "No.. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. I just want to forget about my stupid problem. I know now that some things are just not meant to be and just meant to be forgotten. Talking about my problem to someone would just made it harder for me to forget it."


He just stood in front of her, staying silent as he looked like he was thinking about something. "I better go now." he said.


"Ok. Hurry, before you're late."


"See you tomorrow night, ok Aerri." he said again, before he finally left her.


"Tomorrow night." she whispered as she watched him walk away. As she went back inside her room and closed the door behind her, she read the lyrics that Seunghyun gave her earlier. That sadness and bitterness appeared again when she realized that the lyric Seunghyun wrote was about a girl. The lyric was for a love song. She tried to not wonder about who the song was about, and failed. Probably about Ai?


She took a deep breath and exhale slowly, determined to not cry anymore. Crying felt silly now.


"I really should stop this." she sighed.

----------


In just some small steps, she appeared in the intersection and continued her slow steps towards an apartment building not far from where she was. A day and a half passed by quickly, and it was already almost 7, time for her first practice with Seunghyun. As she got inside the apartment building, she just wondered how a person's emotion about one simple thing could be so divided. She was reluctant to be with him and to meet Ai, not eager to feel the insecurities and jealousy that she felt every time she saw them together or even if he merely talked about Ai. But at the same time, the excitement she felt whenever she was going to spend some time with him was also there. How come she still wanted to be with him?


She quickly took the stairs all the way up to the top floor. When she arrived in front of his door, she knocked a few times, wondering if either Ai or Seunghyun were already there. But since there was no answer, she walked through the door and let herself in.


"Ai? Seunghyun? Anyone here?" Aerri called again once she was inside. But no one was around. So she took a seat on the small couch and took out a piece of paper from her pocket. It was Seunghyun's lyrics for his new song. To her surprise, she managed to get some beat and melody for his lyrics. She even add some lyrics for her to sing. But she wasn't sure if Seunghyun was going to like it or not. There's still the possibility of him laughing at her attempt of making a song. Well, at least she already have a hit song being played on heavy rotation and slaying the charts on Earth at one moment, even if it only became a hit because a popular rapper was performing it.


She re-read his lyrics again, embracing her curiosity and jealousy that she felt when reading it, treating them like salt to her wound that hopefully would make her heart finally go numb.


Red tint on your luscious lips
Sparkly colors on your fingertips
Don't be any prettier
I don't want you to be prettier
Don’t make them look your way
You'd probably walk away
From me


Aerri stopped reading eventhough the lyrics went on and on, talking about a girl that he likes. She wondered if he wrote it based on a girl that he knew. If it was, then considering that he couldn't remember anything about his life, then the lyrics must be about a girl he knew at the dorm, right?


Once again, she stopped her wondering mind. She remind herself that she didn't need to know about the back story of the lyrics. All she needed to do was to help Seunghyun to perform it.


Then she read her own lyrics. She was slightly amazed how she didn't need much time to write the lyrics. And she kinda enjoyed her time when she was fiddling with her guitar to find the melody for the song too. She remembered that she read from her diary that she often help Jiyong work on his music. So probably she got her skill because she had done this a little from when she was alive. Whatever the reason was, she knew that her love for music still exists even after she died.


There's a firefly
Loose tonight
Better catch it before it burns this place down
And I lie
If I don't feel so right
But the world looks better through your eyes


"Hey." his voice startled her. She looked up to see Seunghyun standing in front of the door.


"Hey." she said.


"Sorry, I'm a bit late."


"That's ok."


"Ai's not here yet?" he said, walking towards his room and peeking inside.


"No, I haven't seen her." she said, silently hating the concerned look on his face when he couldn't find Ai. "Is there something wrong?" she asked.


"Nothing." he mumbled, clearly hiding something from her. Aerri lightly rolled her eyes, mentally laughing at how he still hides something from her even though he was the one who slightly scold her for hiding something from him the day before.


"What's that?" he asked her when he noticed the piece of paper on her hands.


"Uhm.. your lyrics, added with a little bit of mine." she answered, suddenly not sure if she should show him her song.


"Really?" he grinned. "Can i see it?" he asked her, holding out his hand to get the paper.


She groaned loudly, hiding her paper behind her back, feeling embarrassed and unprepared to show him her lyrics. So he laughed and asked again, "Would you prefer to sing it for me instead?" He took his guitar from the corner of the room and hand it to her.


She took the guitar a bit reluctantly as she looked up to the grinning boy. "Promise you won't laugh at me?"


"I promise i won't laugh at you." he chuckled.


She sighed, then started to sing her part of the song, still slightly out of confidence to sing it. But as her finger dances on the strings of the guitar, her courage rises, her voice got clearer, and she sang the song wholeheartedly. Her fear and her insecurities all disappeared, replaced by pure joy and excitement. She knew she loves music. But that moment, she realized that she loves performing too. She wondered if she had always loved it when she was alive.


As the song ended and she had strummed the last note on the guitar, she looked up and see Seunghyun smiling at her.


"That was nice." he said.


"Thanks. Your rapping part is at the part where I don't sing. Is that ok with you?


"Yes, absolutely."


"Which part do you wanna change?" she asked.


"I don't think we need to change anything. But let's try again with the rapping to see if something was off."


So she played the guitar again, this time with him rapping. They changed a small part of the melody and did some minor adjustment on the lyrics. The whole time they were working on the song, Aerri couldn't help but remember her diary entry, especially the part where she wrote excitedly about some new songs she was working on with Seunghyun and/or Jiyong when she was alive. It's kinda bittersweet to be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter