Familiarity After Life

Cupid's Irony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She opened her eyes to see that she was standing in a really bright room. But there was something different about that room. The wall was white, but there was no furniture or decorations or anything on it. There weren't any lamps on the ceiling either. But how did the room got so bright? Then she looked around and realized that there were no windows or door on the walls either.


Wait. No doors? Then how did she get in here? And most importantly, how would she get out of it?


"What the hell?" she said.


A chuckle startled her. She turned around and saw a boy with a bright smile.


"This is obviously not hell, girl. But then again, it depends on how you see it." he said, still with a bright smile on his face.


"Who are you?" she asked.


"Before I answer your question, you'd have to answer mine first."


"Why? I'm definitely not answering questions from a weird stranger, especially when I'm with the said stranger in a weird room with no doors or windows. Wait... are you an alien? Did you abduct me? Is this the inside of a spaceship?" she looked around, still amazed of her surroundings.


The boy just laughed loudly and muttered, "Now I know why Bae told me you were chatty." Then he added, "No, I'm not an alien, and no we're not in a spaceship. I'm a stranger to you, but I'm not going to hurt you. You just need to answer my questions first. Then I'll answer all your questions, if I can." he smiled.


She looked at him, still feeling confused of the whole situation. But then she realized that confusion was the only thing she felt. She wasn't afraid of him. Somehow, even though she was in an unknown place with an unknown boy, she wasn't afraid.


"Ok." she sighed.


"Ok. What's your name?" he asked her.


"Aerri."


"Tell me something about yourself, Aerri. Where are you from? Do you have any siblings? Tell me anything about your life."


"I..." she opened to answer him. But another realization hit her hard and brought the horror in her.


"I don't know. I can't remember." she said in a panic.


"That's good! I'm just checking to see if Bae had done his work well. You're not suppose to remember anything anyway." he said nonchalantly, as if her having no memories whatsoever about her life was something normal.


"What?" she was furious at the boy's carefree attitude and to this 'Bae' she hadn't met that apparently had erased her memories.


"Before you got angry at me, let me explain the situation to you. You, Aerri, are no longer alive. You have died. But if you want, you could be like me. You could help people that are still alive to be with the person they love. If you don't want to be like me, I will take you to the afterlife, although I can't tell you if you're going to heaven or hell. So, what do you say?" he said, still with that bright smile on his face, acting as if he was merely selling her a set of encyclopedia.


Her anger went out the nonexistent window the moment she heard his second sentence. All she heard after that was just blurred words, as she couldn't seem to hear properly since the boy told her that she had died.


"What do you mean I have died? But.. I'm here." she said.


"I know you don't feel any difference at all. But what I see in front of me, what you see when you hold up your hand, is your soul. Yes, you still look like you. But your body, your shell, is not there anymore. You don’t even look like the way you were when you died, cause the way you look right now is the form you choose, unconsciously, as it is the form when you were the happiest when you were alive. So you wouldn’t even know your age." he explained.


She didn't know how to process the information she just heard. She felt.. stuck. She can't remember her past, so she can't relive her happy memories to make her feel better. She can't even remember her age before she died. Had she graduated from college? Had she made her parents proud of her? Had she ever felt the joy of falling in love and being loved by someone? If she hadn't felt all of that in her past, when she was alive, that would mean she would never have those experience at all. After all, her future was gone, now that she had died. She had no chance at all. She can't remember her past, and she had no future. She had nothing but that moment when she stood in front of a boy whose name she didn't even know.


The boy noticed her blank stare and said, "I understand you probably need some time to really understand this news. So how about if I show you around first, while I explain some things you need to know. Ok?"


His warm smile somehow made her feel better, so she nodded and took his hand that he reached out to her. Then she followed him through a door that suddenly appeared on a wall behind him.


She felt strange warmth all over her when she went out the door. Then suddenly, she was out in a small lush field where she could see another building not far from where she was standing. She looked behind her to see what kind of building that she was in. But she could only see more lush field behind her, as if the room that she was in disappeared into thin air.


"I guess I should prepare myself for more surprises." she thought.


"My name is Daesung, by the way. And.. uhm.. I don't know where to start, actually." the boy chuckled."So please ask me some questions." he added while slowly walking to the building near them.


She walked beside him with hundreds of questions in her head. But she finally chose the most obvious one. "What is this place? You told me that it's not hell. But I get the impression that this is not heaven either."


"You're right. It's neither. This is sort of the place to prepare you for the afterlife. You see, eventually you might be given a choice, whether you want to go to the afterlife, or you can be reborn again."


"Reborn? You mean I have a chance to live again?"


"Yes. Of course you'll start from scratch. But if you were given the choice, you could be reborn again."


"What should I do if I want to be reborn?"


"You'll have to learn."


"Learn what?"


He chuckled, "I don't know. Every person needs to learn something different. It wouldn't be learning if you know exactly what to do, right? You need to figure it out yourself."


"How about you? Do you know what you need to learn?" she asked him.


"Nope. Still trying to figure it out. Once the boss thought that we’ve learn enough, we'll know."


"Boss? You mean God?"


He shrugged and said, "Never met him myself, and I don't know anyone that has. For something simple like these stuff, usually my supervisor would tell me what to do. I don't think my super also have met him herself. There's a hierarchy here that I don't even fully understand."


"But if I refuse to stay here, I'd go straight to the afterlife?"


"Yes. But like I said, I don't know if you're going to heaven or hell. And once you go there, you can't just simply go back."


She thought about her chances. Being reborn means she had hopes. She can dream and try to achieve her dreams again.


"You were offering me to be.. what did you say? Some sort of.. Cupid?" she asked him again.


"Yes, you can say that." he chuckled. "I'll go into the details tomorrow. But if you agree to join me, you'll help people to be together. Kinda like a match maker."


They finally reached the iron gate of a small strange building that looked like a white box. Like the room she was in, the building had no window. At first the white square building seemed like it had no doors too. But when she walked closer to it, a wooden door suddenly appeared.


Daesung opened the door and they entered a huge hall with high ceiling. There was no way that big hall would fit in to that small square building she just entered. But she was no longer surprised. This place, whatever it was, was something else.


She followed him up the big circular staircase on the side of the hall. She can see a lot of other people coming up and down the staircase. She wondered if all of them were also dead like her.


"If you choose to stay here, this is where you'll be staying." the boy said. He went through a long hallway with doors on its side. He stopped in front of one of the door and said, "You have to be the first one to open it. Go on."


"Why?" she said, with her hand on the door knob.


"You'll see." he gave her that smile again.


She opened the door and saw a cozy room that felt so familiar to her. The room is painted dark blue, with some wood accent and several movie posters on the wall. There is a simple bed with light blue and black sheets on one corner, and a guitar on the other corner. But her favorite part of the room is the sunroof on the ceiling that can be opened with a simple slide.


Wait. Sunroof? If she recalled correctly, the room she was in is not on the top floor. How come there is a sunroof in the room?


"Wow. Your taste is a bit.. masculine.." he chuckled.


"Huh? My taste?"


"Yeah. The reason you should be the one to open the door is because the room is set for you. This is the room that made you feel the most comfortable when you're alive. But of course you won't see any of your personal stuff like pictures or anything in here."


"I played guitar?" she asked him.


"I don't know. Why don't you try for yourself?"


"But I thought my memories have been erased. How am I supposed to play it?" she asked while grabbing the guitar.


"Even though your memories were erased, but your skills are still there. You just don't remember that you have it. If we erased everything you won't be able to speak your language, dear." he grinned.


She played a me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter