party crasher

One Of A Kind

Gianna started out early. She loved running in the freshly washed sands and waiting for the sunrays to hit her face.It’s one of the things she always do at least once a year.

She’d been running for an hour now. She dropped to the sand, closed her eyes and stretched  her arms upward.

“Miss? hello?” Gianna felt a tap in her shoulder. She opened her eyes and came face to face with a man. She got up immediately and hit the guy’s head.

“ahhh” she smoothen her forehead.

“You okay?” the guy asked.

She can’t see the guy’s face clearly as he was wearing a hoodie and it almost covered his face. She nodded. ” oh!!!” She got up and took out her phone. “Mommy, I got it.” she snapped 5 photos of the sun rising. “hey,” she called out to the guy. “do me a favor will ya. can you stand against the sun?” The guy did as he was told without any question. Gianna snapped 2 photos. “Thank you” she pocketed her phone and jogged away.

Gianna showered after coming from the beach. She changed to shirt and shorts. She went to the mall and checked out for her favorite cake. She still can remember the cake her mother always buy on her birthday. After buying the cake, she went to the wine store; she knew well her father’s favorite wine. Last she bought were her parent’s favorite flowers. The shop she frequent already had the flower ready at the counter. They knew her and knew that she’ll come on that day. “Thank you very much”

 

Gianna does it every year. She takes a week off from her work and celebrate her birthday alone. It’s the time she can be with her parents. She cries and laugh alone in the villa. People might think she’s crazy but that’s the way she remembers her parents.

She set the cake, wine and the iris at the veranda. She opened the sliding door and let the music inside blew outside.

 

“arrghhh!”Ji Yong was frustrated. He hasn’t wrote any song for the last 2 months and it’s frustrating him. He took the week off to rest and rented a villa near the sea. He hoped to clear his head and write something. Suddenly a blast of music filled the air. It was coming from the unit next to his. It was an open and low fenced veranda. He got up and peeked. A cake, flower and a bottle of wine. “honeymooners,” he murmured. He moved back when he saw someone came out. He pulled his chair and positioned it at the fence dividing the unit. “Let me eavesdrop. I might get an idea.”

 

“mom, dad, I’m here. You know it right? It’s a sad day and I really don’t want to remember but I know you would be sad if I’ll be sulking in my room. Mommy, I’m 23 meaning I can get married now, hmm. I know, daddy would be like,” bring your boyfriend home before talking about marriage” she tried to imitate her dad’s voice and laughed. “The lady at the flower shop, picked out the freshest iris and the baker made the cake especially pretty today. Dad, mom you understand why I don’t want to do the anniversary huh. I prefer it this way. Just three of us. Seriously mom, hmmm should I get a boyfriend? There’s this guy at work. he’s good looking but I don’t think he’ll like me. Ah, forget it.” She poured wine to the three glass and cut the cake. “Happy birthday Gianna.” she smiled and started to cry.

Ji Yong peeked again and was taken aback. The girl was alone and was talking like there were other people around. He fell off the chair. The sound made Gianna turned around and peeked to the next door.

“Are you ok?” she asked. The guy was scrambling to get up.

“Hmmm, yeah,” Ji yong got up. “Ahm, I’ve been listening for a while. You shouldn’t be alone on your birthday. Want me to come over?” he bravely asked.

“Oh? ah” Gianna don’t know what to say. Ji yong was already climbing the fence.

“I’m crashing your party.” Ji yong sat at the empty chair.

Gianna was speechless. “how could this guy just crash to her party and acts like he knew her. “I’ll get you a glass,” she went inside and came back with an extra wine glass. “That’s for my mom and dad.”

“Oh, This is the first time I saw someone celebrating her birthday alone.”

“Ah, I prefer to be alone,”

“This year, you’re not. Happy Birthday!” Ji yong raised his glass. “It’s not fun to be alone on your  birthday,”

Gianna just smiled.

“Ahm, I guess you still have things to do. I’m at the next door if you need something,” Ji yong jumped the fence.

“shesh! egoistic. how dare you.” Gianna cleaned up the table and watched the movie she rented. The movie wasn’t that interesting. She took the story she printed to review and went to the veranda. She’d been freelancing writing novels and stories online. So far she got good reviews and feedback. Recently one of her stories was chosen to be in a play. She was elated and happy about it. The producer asked for a sequel and that’s what she’d been working on. She put down the copy to answer the phone call. When she came back the papers were all over the floor. “Haist” she cursed and started picking them. She throw them because it’s useless.

Ji yong went to the veranda with a mug of coffee. Still nothing’s coming to his head. “what are…” papers were all over the floor. He picked them and read it. “huh? a storyline?

Ji yong read the contents of the papers.” A novel? hmmmm.” He found himself getting down and started scribbling something.