And we reach the point of no return...

The Chanxing Letters

1 Year Ago (Age 34)

 

Dear Yixing,

I know you're more used to e-mails now and Skype and all the techie-things this life afford, but hey, I'm out in the country this week taking a well-earned vacation, so a letter is all you're going to get. (And when I say vacation, I mean, I'm out here to help out my grandma for a few days doing manly stuff). Anyways, I know you've always liked letters better. There's just something so amazing about taking 1 minute to peruse a letter which took me 15 minutes to write and made my wrist hurt in the process. Are you proud of yourself yet?!

Being out here is vaguely surreal. No internet, and for some reason I didn't think to bring any books with me. There's just piles of things to do and a quiet kind of downtime. It makes me think. And we both know that's a strange thing all by itself! Me thinking, isn't it crazy? Should I tell you what I've been thinking about? Are you sure you want to know?

Well, here goes!

Friend, my dearest friend. It's been 24 years. And I know this because I just counted like the lame person I am. 24 years and my supposed best friend in the world and I have never met. seriously, what have we been thinking? Obviously not the right kinds of things. Basically, what I'm trying to say is this: it's unacceptable that we've never me and that is final. I'm taking all of my vacation time left and combining it so that we can meet asap. Asap! Which means probably, next year?

Let's do this!

Your soon to be face to face friend,

Chanyeol

 


 

Dear Chanyeol,

I know you're probably back in civilization again now, but I'm going to write you a letter anyways. After all, what's one sprained wrist between us. Equal for life, that's us! Yes, it's definitely been too long since I hand wrote one of these things, and I know I'm going to pay for it. How did people in the old days (what is that, not even 10 years ago) do this??

As for your resolution, well... I guess you're invited. Since I do have this large house and all, and there's nobody in it. I may even take off time from work just to spend time with you. Isn't that what best friends do? I wouldn't know since I don't, as you know, have one that lives within the same continent as me! Hemisphere even! Well, okay I have a few, Sehun and his wife. But Tao is 8 years old now, and the 'baby' just turned 5, so they're kind of busy... doing kid stuff. Whatever that is. Meanwhile I have my cats, and with enough warning I may be able to teach them to share the couch when you visit, and perhaps not throw up on your pillow, but no guarantees there. Luhan is quite finicky and wretches on everything whenever he gets unhappy. Namely, when Minseok needs a longer catnap and can't be found for 7 or 8 hours. Cats are weird like that. I can't explain it.

My hand officially feels like it's going to fall off now. I see what you mean now. You know, I think I have a whole box of stationary somewhere in the attic that I haven't found. Maybe... I will use it again. Or maybe not. 

P.S. Don't write back. E-mail, pretty please. That way I won't feel obliged to HAND PRINT another letter in return. ;)

Yixing.

 

P.P.S. I really can't wait until you come. Tell me as soon as you have some prospective dates!!

 


 

To: Yixing

Still_a_Layxingwriter@gmail .com

 

Just because I love you, here's your email. And yes, I just used email without a dash because I'm not a publication-snob/prude like you, and most of the world says email now except for you! So hah! I don't really remember if you always do this or not. I just wanted to nag you for something other than the fact that my future guest bed will likely be christened by cat throw-up. That's throw-up. With a dash. Eww, thanks. Can't wait.

In the meantime, well... life is about the same. How's it going on your end?

 


 

To: Chanyeol

Guitarman04@yahoo .com

 

Dear Chanyeol, 

Life is of course going great. Absolutely great. Especially now that I'm not required to WRITE-you-back! Take that, dash man. 

I regret to inform you that I talked to Luhan, and he just purred at me. Cynically. I hope this does not deter your visit. You've already made up your mind, and we've talked about it, so you can't back out now. In fact, if you do, I'm coming to Korea instead to get you. And please don't make me do that because I never did master the language from any Korean person I've ever known and I really don't want to have to rely on you to translate the entire country for me. I don't trust you not to lead me astray. ;)

The big question now of course is: what will it be like? Us? You and me..? Will we be awkward. Will we be comfortable. Does 25 years of writing and talking to each other constitute a genuine friendship? I ask this not because I'm worried of course, but because it's 3 in the morning and I have nothing better to do than think up plausible scenarios for you looking 10x more dorky than you've ever shared in a photo and me running for my life. This is a big step, you must know that!

Now, please just give me a month!!

Yixing

 


 

To: Yixing

Still_a_Layxingwriter@gmail .com

 

I'm going to ignore your jab at me looking like a dork. You do realize we're adults now, right? I have completely grown into my ears. You are absolutely not allowed to lord that over me still, okay? Okay?!

I'm thinking July? Or is that too cliche a month for traveling? Now I'm doubly worried you will judge me for the absolute worst kind of tourist. The kind who gets off the plane already in beach gear with a camera around his neck taking pictures of the first palm trees he comes across. And just so you know, no- I won't come dressed that way, and my camera is my phone, but I will probably take pictures of palm trees just to spite you!

 


 

                                 

                                       To: Chanyeol Park

                                       Why are we discussing palm trees now? I'm confused

 

 

To: AmericanBFf♥☆♥                                       

Uhm, because they're cool?                                       

Palm trees are cool, right?                                       

                                       If you say so.

They're totally cool. And tall, right?!                                       

How come you're texting anyways. What happened to email?                                       

                                       I was too concerned over your palm tree obsession to bother waiting for for E-MAIL

You're lame if you're losing sleep over me liking palm trees                                       

                                       I lose sleep over a lot of things :p

Losing sleep over me?                                       

                                       Of course! You're quite the nightmare friend.

                                       I'm still not convinced you're real.

                                       I think you've been toying with my brain for years.

I thought you worried I was a dork, not a serial killer.                                       

                                       They could go hand in hand. 

You're mean. Maybe I won't come visit you.                                       

                                       Then I'll come and stalk you instead.

Ohh, scary!                                       

                                       Rarrrw

Eeep!                                       

                                       You're dumb. I'm going to sleep now. Have a good day.

Wow, that was a lame goodbye.                                       

                                       Only for you. 


 

                                       *phone ringing*

-

-

Heeey, Yixing. What's up?

                                       *laughter*

                                       You sound happy.

Always happy to hear from you. 

                                       I'm... glad. 

                                       *awkward coughs*

Yeah... So... 

                                       Just called to talk.

Uh huh?

                                       And...

Uh huh?

                                       Well, something is... worrying me.

And, you called me about it? I'm flattered.

                                       Joon...

I know. I know. Okay, I'll stop teasing you.

                                       -

                                       -

                                       I feel bad suddenly jumping into talking about myself.

You know I don't mind.

                                       Yeah, but what if your boyfriend minds?

*easy laugh*

He won't mind. Promise. He knows we're just friends now.

                                       That's... I'm glad. 

Yeah.

                                       Yeah.

                                       Uhm, what's... sorry I feel terrible. What's his name again?

*laughs*

Minho

                                       Ohhh, riiiight. I'm sorry.

That's okay. Anyways, I told you I don't mind. 

So what's bothering  you?

                                       Hmmm. A funny thing... Well, Chanyeol...

... is a funny thing, yeah? What about him?

                                       *laughs*

                                       He's coming... he's coming here... to see me. 

                                       -

-

Is that a problem?

                                       I don't know yet. Should it be?

No?

                                       But what if it is?

How is meeting Chanyeol a problem?

                                       Because...

                                       -

                                       -

-

-

                                       Joon, I don't know what I should do...

                                       -

                                       -

I think you know though.

                                       Do I? What do I even say to him?

-

*sighs*

-

                                       -

                                       I feel like an idiot. I'm sorry I called you.

Noo, Yixing. Don't hang up.

Look we've been through a lot together so...

I'm here for you. Even as a friend.

If you're stressing out about this, I'm here to tell you: don't.

                                       But.

Don't.

                                       -

                                       -

                                       I'm scared. This is stupid too. It's only for 2 weeks.

Just roll with it, Yixing. 

                                       But, what do I even say to him?

                                       -

                                       -

-

Just say, maybe... what you've always wanted to say?

 



 

Confused much? So is Yixing. Guess what happens next "year"? :)