Keeping a friendship for the ages...

The Chanxing Letters

7 Years Ago (Age 28)

 

To: AmericanBFf♥☆♥                                       

I'm bored. Are you awake?                                       

 

                                       To: Chanyeol Park

                                       I am now. 

 

23 minutes later

 

You said you were awake. How come you aren't answering then?                                       

 

5 minutes later

 

                                       I was still waking up. 

 

Are you awake now??                                       

 

                                       Now... I am. 

                                       Why what's up.

 

Nothing... just bored.                                       

 

                                       You said that already. Make me coffee.

 

I'll get right on that. Just give me 24 hours to book a plane and fly there.                                       

 

                                       I expect it by 5:45 am tomorrow.

 

Is it really that early there...????                                       

 

                                       Yes...

 

I'm sorry!!                                       

 

                                       No, you're not. 

 

You're right. I'm not.                                       

                                       I hate you.

 

No you don't. How are the kittens?                                        

 

                                       On my pillow. I hate them too.

 

No you don't. You love us all.                                       

 

                                       Tell me that again when I've been awake longer, and had coffee.

 

Okay, I will.                                        

 

5 minutes later

                                       Damn.

What?                                       

                                       Luhan peed on the carpet.

What, again??                                       

                                       Yep

                                       Kittens...

 


 

Dear Chanyeol,

Someday I will abandon pen and paper, I just know it. But today is not one of those days. Just like one day I will remember to turn off the sound on my phone before I go to sleep at night, so you will not be able to wake me up in the morning. Or maybe I should just rely on you for an alarm clock? Seriously, it's been years now. When are you going to get tired of me! (That was a joke. Please never tire of me. I need my alarm clock.) 

So, something has occurred to me. I think you've been avoiding a certain topic for a while now and it's probably because you're worried about me, but I feel obliged to tell you that you don't have to anymore. Joon already told me about him and Jongin. So you don't need to keep hiding that. It's been years since I even saw Joon, and a year that we've been broken up. I'm happy for him, and them. Yeah, I mean you don't see me throwing a party about it, but that's because I'm stuck on the other side of the world and just physically, can't. The point is, you don't have to avoid the subject from now on. I'm cool with it. And if there's anything else you're hiding, like the fact that you're madly in love with me and need to confess before all your emotions implode from bottling them up for so long, well you can do that too. I won't mind. ;)

Anyways, life is going about the same as it usually does. Summer's here. Maybe I'll get out of the office and my house and work on a tan this year? Or... not? I prefer working out in the air-conditioning. But it seems a pity because the weather's so mild. What do you think? Should I work on abs first, and then focus on a boyfriend? Or should I do that in reverse order because someone should love me for who I am, and not for how delicious my abs feel? Huh? Huh? Don't forget to answer this one. It's super important. About as important as my alarm clock. 

Is this letter disgusting enough for you? Hah.

Yixingggg. 

 

P.S.

I think I'll send you a before and after picture just to make you uncomfortable. Look for it soon. 

 


 

Dear Yixing,

Okay here comes the big reveal. Dun dun Dun! Alright, I knew about Jongin. I'm sorry I didn't tell you! I thought it might be weird. I mean, it is to me because I never knew Jongin was into guys before he met Joon but, I guess I was wrong. So yeah, I see them kind of often because Jongin is still obviously living in my spare bedroom and. Well anyways, sorry I didn't mention it. 

As for that other confession you're apparently waiting on... Perhaps I'll just have to wait until I see you face to face before I make up my mind. Or, it could just rest on that before and after picture comparison you are so diligently promising me? How's that going by the way? I always tried to work out but nothing ever changed, and I'm just as skinny and non-bulky as ever. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but maybe just playing the guitar won't make my muscles huge? Is that not considered enough of a work-out? Probably doesn't help that I also sit on my all day long doing, boring stuff.

Did I tell you I ran into Yoonsuh last week? Mutual friends' party, and you know what? That *censored word* got married! Married! She got married, but not to me! I'm not actually mad. My parents are the ones who are mad. Now they're starting to suggest something must be wrong with me if she always claimed she didn't want to get married and now she is, and she's got a year-old baby who I am sure is cute and adorable and would have made them the perfect grandchild. Never mind the fact that we never really seemed to be madly in love with each other, or that it's now about that time in her life when she suggested she wouldn't mind getting hitched. Just not to me apparently, and that's fine. Nothing's ever good enough for my parents though. They've got me set up on another date next week. Save me...

Doomed. Forever doomed,

Chanyeol

 


 

Dear Chanyeol,

Tough luck on not having a one-year-old kid. Try a cat. They pee about as much, sometimes it's in a designated area. And sometimes it's not...

So, the tanning thing isn't going very well. Mostly because I much prefer the view of palm trees from out of my living room window, and not from the actual outdoors. This life is so wasted on me. My parents have gone back to China for the summer. Some days they talk about retiring and just moving back there. Every time they visit they just rekindle more old family ties. I might be the only reason they stay here, and I think it's not that farfetched that they end up leaving me the house and living there full time. I'll kind of miss them though. It seems so crazy to imagine living in this house all by myself, although I think there's time yet to fret about that. They aren't going anywhere for at least a few more years. My mom keeps nagging me that I'm not eating right, and she thinks I'm lonely. She's probably halfway right. I just don't tell her that I've been going out more often with friends. Well, I guess she knows that part of it. She just doesn't know that... well, nobody I meet really seems to stick. Perhaps me and the dating sphere just aren't well suited for one another.  I don't know what to do about it. I try, but... meeh. 

How are Jongin and Joon? Joon actually calls me pretty often. It's kind of weird, but then we were always good friends on top of everything. Kind of like you and me. 

Alright, I'm ending this letter before I turn melancholy. Good night! (Even though who knows what day or time it'll be when you get this. I'm still fascinated with snail mail.)

Yixing

 


 

                                       

                                       To: Chanyeol Park

                                       Dude. Who are you and where are you?

2 minutes later

To: AmericanBFf♥☆♥                                       

Uhh, what? Yixing are you okay?                                       

                                       I'm not Yixing. I'm asking who are you?

This is... Chanyeol                                       

                                       Chanyeol. Great. Just the guy I want to talk to. I guess.

Ok... I'm sorry?                                       

Do you have Yixing's phone?                                       

                                       Yep. He's totally wasted and I don't know how to get him home.

Who are you?                                       

                                       Sehun. I'm his boyfriend of the week.

Whatt?                                       

                                       Okay no. But Yixing here got dumped by whoever ty friends he was hanging out with

                                       Then he fell over onto me, and started rambling and now I don't know how to get him home.

                                       Can you come get him?

                                       You're the most recent contact I found on his phone

I would, but I live in South Korea...                                       

                                       Dude, no way. 

                                       . Now what do I do.

Is he awake? Can you get him to call me?                                       

                                       You want me to have him call you long distance?

                                       On a cell phone?

Yes.                                       

                                       Okay. Your call. But don't get mad at me when he starts freaking out about the phone bill

I won't. Don't worry                                       

 

1 minute later

                                       He's not saying anything very intelligent right now

Okay then, I'll call you.                                       

Answer this when it rings.                                       

                                       Gladly.

 


 

To: Chanyeol

Guitarman04@yahoo .com

 

So, friend. I guess I've got some apologizing to do. First of all, thanks for not sending me home with a total psycho. I woke up on my couch with a note scribbled to my head, and nothing in my house apparently stolen. Hey, at least he left me his number in case I freaked out, which I kind of did anyways. But, it's all good. Appreciate it. I read through the texts you and he sent, and... thanks for taking care of me long distance. I owe you something big, I just don't know what. :(

I talked to my other friends earlier. Apparently they tried to get me to go with them to the next club, and I wasn't cohesive enough to want to go with them. So, it's kind of not their fault they left me, but it is their fault because... man. Who abandons their friend alone like that! They could at least have gotten me a cab. Anyways, thanks for being better than them, and also for making sure first that Sehun wasn't a serial killer. He was kind of amused when I called him and says you gave him a thorough interrogation. A+ my friend. 

Thanks. A billion times thanks. I promise that kind of thing won't happen again though. You're the best.

Yixing.


 

To: Yixing

Layxingwriter@aol .com

 

It better not happen again! Next time I'm coming to get you myself, so you know - just stay put and wait. :D Uhh, glad it worked out and you didn't die because that would have . Do you still have your "In case of emergency call Chanyeol in Korea" sign written above your bed? At least you had me in your phone.

Dump those friends of yours because they sound pretty ty. And if you decide you're not embarrassed enough to talk to that Sehun guy again, give him my thanks, for potentially saving the life of my best friend, and all that... mushy stuff.

Call me any time.

Chanyeol

 



 

Seems this was a busy year for our Chanxing couple.

Rosie