Beginning a New Leaf...

The Chanxing Letters

8 Years Ago (Age 27)

 

Dear Yixing,

For old times' sake (because we're super old, right?) I'm writing you a letter. Apologies my handwriting . I swear it keeps getting worse over the years. I don't know how it happens. Point is, well... would it be too lame to say I'm sorry for everything that's happened? But hey! Now you can get yourself another boyfriend now right? One who actually lives in the same country as you? I'm sorry. That's so callous. I should cross this out and start over. I should trash it. But, feel free to call me and yell if you just need someone to rant to. In fact, you'll probably do that even before this letter gets to you. Not that I think you're a screamer or anything, but... goodness knows I needed someone to cry to when I broke up with my girlfriend. Not that you're a crier. Wow this letter is awful. I should destroy it. I'm probably going to regret sending it. Just remember that I'm a big , and you already knew that so... !

Nothing else new going on in my life. Jongin is back in Seoul finally. I think he's done traveling the world doing the whole dancer thing, so it's nice seeing an old friend again. I might even let him stay with me for a while since that free room is empty now. Let's see how my parents respond this time! Since you know, I was supposed to get married and put a crib in that room once upon a time. Eh, kids are overrated. Maybe I should get a dog?

Alright, this is me done writing for today. Here, I'll put a smiley sticker here with my unreadable signature!

Your best friend (even when I sound like an idiot),

Chanyeol

 


 

Dear Chanyeol,

Yeah yeah you're an . That's a given. But it's cool because I still love you. Really, I don't know why you're the one apologizing. It's not like anything is your fault. And I don't hate Joon either. It's just this distance thing finally got to us, as you probably foresaw. Instead of apologizing, I should probably be thanking you for helping him this last year. He told me you and Jongin helped him pack his stuff and move to the new apartment, and that he was really grateful for that. See? I do talk to him still. But now it's more as friends. Perhaps this was for the best. I'm totally moving on now! Or, something.

I've got a hot date this evening. Actually, I accidentally inherited a couple of cats from a lady who works with my mom. She brought them home and dumped them on my bed thinking I needed 'companionship' or something. Now I have two mewling kittens, one black and one gray. I named them Luhan and Xiumin because apparently I'm supposed to call them something other than Cat 1 and Cat 2. They're adorable even if kittens are irritating. How fast do kittens grow up anyways? I've always thought old cats were the best. They're way more tame. 

Anyways, I'm going to enjoy the single life now. Officially at least, since I've kind of been living that way for a while now. You better keep sending me hot pictures though in case I need to fend myself off from attacks by drunk co-workers!

And also, how dare you replace Joon so easily as a roommate? Already letting someone else in? I'm ashamed of you... Tsk tsk. ;)

Yixing.

 

P.S. Did I mention I finally got that cool job I've been wanting for a while now? Gone is the world of proofreading electronics how-to's and proofreading law manuals. Well, not completely. But now I'm getting to actually write short articles for the company's side pages, mostly about law cases in the real world. It's not beautiful but I'm getting the hang of it. Success. I smell it.. from far far away. 

 

 


 

 

                                       *phone ringing*

                                       -

                                       -

                                       -

                                       Hello? Well this is a surprise.

Haha, Is it really? 

                                       Hmm, I guess not.

Well we did agree to keep in touch.

Anyways, Hi. How're you doing?

                                       I'm covered in kittens. How are you?

Just sitting around...

-

-

                                       -

                                       -

                                       How's your new place?

The apartment? It's okay. Quiet. It's weird living alone again.

After Chanyeol's place.

You know he never shuts up right? Always talking? It was fun.

                                       *laughter*

                                       I can imagine that actually.

                                       Do you ever see each other still?

Not really. Well, every now and then. 

I forgot some things at his house. Went back to get them the other day.

He and Jongin were hanging out.

                                       Yeah I heard Jongin might be moving in. 

                                       He's replaced you fast!

*smirks*

Apparently. Anyways. I just called to chat...

                                       Oh? Well, thanks?

Just wanted to make sure you were doing okay.

                                       I am. 

                                       -

                                       -

I miss you...

-

-

                                       -

                                       -

                                       Don't say things like that anymore. 

I'm sorry.

-

-

-

                                       Me too. Anyways, if you ever get a chance to come back to California...

                                       -

-

Yeah...

 


 

Dear Yixing,

I've been wondering about the rest of that novel? No chance to finish it yet? Or are you too busy chronicling about the real world and enjoying the single life plus cats? Congrats on the kittens, man. I was thinking about getting a dog for real but then Jongin came along, and now I'm starting to realize how much of a slob he is. I mean, I know I'm bad, but suddenly it's somebody else leaving messes all over the place and... I know! I'm a hypocrite. I'm ashamed of this, truly I am, but it's just so weird! I should chuck him. Or else send him to California as my ambassador.

Alright, I won't chuck him out. At least he's not home all the time though. I can't tell if he has a girlfriend or what, but sometimes he disappears for an evening and comes home in the morning and just shrugs when I ask where he's been. When did I become such a busy-body?? When!? I'm learning so many horrible things about myself the older I get. It's not even funny anymore. Or maybe it's just a little bit funny.

Send me a picture of the cats. I want to see what can be so cute that you are flinging away all human company.

Chanyeol

 


 

To: Chanyeol

Guitarman04@yahoo .com

 

As requested, here's me and the kittens. Cute, right? 

My mother has started matchmaking again. This is horrible. At least she's coming up with men, but seriously - this is the modern day, and I really don't want to go on blind dates. Chanyeol, where are you when I need you!? Come save me from this terrible fate!

Asap. Please.

 


 

To: Yixing

Layxingwriter@aol .com

 

Quick question - what am I supposed to find cute. You, or the cats? :D

Sorry I can't help with the matchmaking thing. Are any of them at least nice? Or nice-looking? Are there pictures you can look at before you go, or is it really completely blind?

Speaking of pictures, again. Wow, Yixing - at least put on a shirt before you take pictures of yourself draped across the couch like that! Kittens or no kittens, a guy needs some warning!! 

Chanyeol

 



 

Another year gone by! With new developments on every front. :)

 

<3 Rosie