Suddenly

The Silver Guardian

(30 September 2014) NOTICE: Please read this.
(2 October 2014) NOTICE: Please read this.

OST: Krystal - 울컥 (All Of A Sudden)

- Story view -

Jessica sat on the couch in Yuri's living room, hugging her knees close to her chest. Tears weren't flowing down her cheeks. She wasn't crying. But that worried Yuri more as she sat at the other couch on Jessica's right, looking at the girl worriedly.

"Sica ya..."

Jessica didn't respond. She only kept staring at the front blankly. There was no time machine in this world. She had lost Gyuri for good, and she was to blame for it. She was the one who took Gyuri's life. She was the one who hated that girl. That girl who never for once forgot about protecting her. That girl who regarded her life more importantly than her own. Jessica had lost Gyuri. Suddenly, Jessica had really lost Gyuri.

"Isn't this the new girl?" A group of girls stopped in front of the 13-year-old Jessica as she looked up, blinking a couple of times in fear.

"What's your name again? Jessica?" One of the girls smirked, before pushing Jessica's shoulder, causing the girl to fall backward onto the floor.

"I think you need a better haircut, Jessica." Another girl laughed while she took out a pair of scissors and approached Jessica, who was backing away unsteadily. However, because a few pair of hands grabbed her and held her in place, she couldn't escape no matter how hard she struggled.

"No... Please no!" Jessica whimpered, but it didn't stop the girls at all.

The blades of the scissors were just about to close in on Jessica's hair when a newcomer's voice suddenly sounded. "Stop." There was no one in that school who couldn't recognise that voice, perhaps except Jessica who was new to the school.

Like a charm, the girl holding the scissors retracted her hand as she stood up. "G-Gyuri sunbaenim..."

Ignoring the greeting, she turned to look at Jessica who was already crying. "You, get up." Jessica didn't listen. She only sat there as tears continued flowing down her cheeks. Gyuri let out an impatient sigh, before she switched her attention to the rest of the girls around Jessica. "You girls, help her up." The girls blinked several times with similar looks of absurdity on their faces. "Do you not hear me?" This time, they quickly got to Jessica's side and helped her up, albeit reluctantly. Her eyes back to Jessica, Gyuri made her way towards the girl, before she held the girl's hand. "Scram," she ordered the girls, who bowed and ran away almost immediately. "Are you okay?" Gyuri asked the badly shaken Jessica.

"Y-yes..." Jessica nodded, but her tear-stained face was still painful to watch.

Gyuri's eyes darted to Jessica's free hand when she noticed something red. "You're bleeding. Seriously, those es. Come on. Let's get this washed." Gyuri turned and was about to drag Jessica with her when she felt resistance. Turning back, she frowned. "What's wrong?"

Jessica shook her head. "I-I'm fine. T-thank you. I'll get g-going..." She wanted to detach her hand from Gyuri's. However, Gyuri held tight.

"You're not going anywhere. You're coming with me." Gyuri's threatening tone managed to get Jessica to comply immediately.

While the nurse was treating Jessica's wound, Gyuri slipped away for a moment without Jessica noticing. It was only when the nurse was done, that Jessica realised that she was alone in the room. She hesitated for a while, before deciding to just leave on her own. She was barely off the bed when the door opened and she could only blink a few times at the sight of Gyuri and the two cones of ice cream in her hands.

"What. You were thinking of leaving without me?" Gyuri said as she walked towards the girl with a fake look of betrayal on her face.

"No... I just-"

"There. Have this." Before Jessica could finish her sentence, Gyuri extended her hair and offered her a cone. Hesitantly, Jessica took the cone and smiled slightly.

"Thanks..."

Gyuri gently tugged at Jessica's arm so that she sat back on the bed again, and she herself sat beside Jessica. "I know you're Jessica, and you're new to our school, right?" Jessica only nodded, taking a bite out of her ice cream. Gyuri couldn't help but to smile at the sight. "Right. I'm Gyuri. Nice to meet you!"

That was twelve years ago, but all of a sudden, the memory felt so fresh. It felt as though all those had happened only yesterday. Gyuri unnie. That name flashed across her mind again.

"Gyuri unnie!" Jessica unhooked her arm from Gyuri's as she pointed at the signboard not too far away. "Look! They have like new flavours. We need some ice cream right now."

"Go and get some yourself."

"Unnie..." Jessica gave her signature pout, and Gyuri laughed as she pinched the girl's cheeks.

"You're already twenty for goodness sake! Stop using this weird aegyo on me."

"Mmmmmm unnieeeeeeee..." Jessica wouldn't give up.

"Okay, okay... Unnie will buy you some ice cream..." Gyuri sighed while Jessica draped an arm over her shoulder, cheering for the older girl.

Jessica had almost long forgotten about all these, because those memories were purposely left untouched two years ago when Gyuri chose to become a Silver Rebel.

"I can't believe you. I can't believe you!"

"Sica ya we'll become stronger. We can become stronger together."

"No! Why in the world will I do that? I'll never become a Rebel. Not over my dead body!"

"Sica ya..."

"To become a Rebel, or to have me. You can only choose one."

"We need to become stronger..."

"Alright then. Go and be stronger for all you want! This is the end of our friendship. I don't want to see you ever again. If I do see you.. If I see you... I may even kill you!"

Jessica shut her eyes while she swallowed her saliva. Things weren't supposed to become like this.

"Because...I-I'm...your unnie... I'm sorry... Sica ya..."

When Jessica opened her eyes, her vision was blurry. Everything was a blur. It didn't take another second for warm tears to roll down her cheeks.

"Sica ya... This...is for you." For the first time that night, Jessica responded to Yuri as she turned to look at the envelope in her hand. She didn't need Yuri to tell her to know who that letter was from. She swallowed her saliva before she took that envelope over.

Jessica tore the envelope open, and retrieved the letter from within. However, she didn't open the letter. She didn't know if she would be able to read it. Taking a deep breath, she forced herself to open it.

 

♡ Sica ya 

I'm Gyuri unnie. When you're reading this letter, I'm probably not around any more. But it's okay, because it also means that I managed to keep you alive, and safe. Sica ya, I'm sorry for leaving you behind like this, but you can't expect me to stand by and do nothing watching them take your life, right? That's not what an unnie should do. I helped you from those bullies years ago, and I'll do the same for you now. I just want you to be happy, okay? Promise me that.

I need to tell you something that I never managed to tell you. The reason behind why I became a Rebel together with Hyungsik. Sica ya... Three years before your Guardian powers were awakened, my parents died in an accident. You know that, right? But you didn't know why, and now I will tell it to you. The Rebels were out to kill my family, and me and Hyungsik survived only because my parents sacrificed themselves for us. I found out that they never stopped trying to hunt us down. It was okay, even if they wanted to kill us. But...when your Guardian powers were awakened, I realised that you were on their list too. I thought long and hard about what to do, and in the end, me and Hyungsik decided to join them. We would be able to keep ourselves alive, and I would be able to make sure that you're safe too.

But...at this point of time, I guess, we were wrong, I was wrong. We were just their puppets. We never stood a chance. I'm sorry I didn't fight alongside you. I'm sorry for the times where I hurt you because I was under watch and I had no choice but to attack you for real.

I know, I attacked your friend as well. I just thought that I would help you recognise who is it that you really love, because I was no longer the Gyuri unnie whom you would talk to whenever you have problems. You hated me, and I couldn't show you that I was still concerned about you. I just hoped that you would be able to tell who your heart is yearning for. If you can't see it, I'm telling you that I can. The way you looked at her, the way you protected her. Sica ya, open your eyes and don't let love slip out of your hands like that. There's so much I can do, the rest is up to you. I didn't hurt that girl too much. I would protect whoever you want to protect, silly.

Sica ya. Am I being too much now to tell you that I really missed you and the times we had spent together? I wonder if it's because I know that it's going to be the end for me soon. It's just more unbearable now than ever. All those times, even though you hated me, I could still see you, even if it means fighting you. At least, I could still watch over you. But I don't know what am I to do now that I'm going to have to leave you. My precious little sister. I'm such a lacking sister. Ah... Why does it feel so painful now that I know that I'm going to see you for the last time tomorrow? It's not death that I'm afraid of. I'm afraid of losing you, and Hyungsik. That poor little boy. Sica ya, do you know? Our little brother said that he would die for you in my place. Of course, I wouldn't let him do that. What kind of a sister would I be if I let him do that? Actually, I was just being selfish. I didn't want to be the one to stay alive and deal with the loss of him. I wouldn't be able to live. But Sica ya, will you promise me to take care of our little brother? Will you be his older sister for me?

Ah these useless tears... Why am I crying like a crazy woman now? This is so embarrassing. Sica ya... I will never stop writing if I can. But...there's an end to everything. I can't be writing forever, even if I want to. But I just want you to know that I will love you forever, and I'll always watch over you. And, I want you to find that someone whom you love and watch over her. You know who I'm talking about. She's...a pretty girl. I wonder what kind of a person she is to take up such a special place in our Sica's heart. Ah look at me. I'm blabbering on again. I just have so many things that I want to tell you..

I guess I'll stop here. Sica ya... I hope that you'll hate me a little less after this letter. Just a little less... Because it didn't feel so good to know that you hated me like that. Once again, I'm sorry, my little sister Jessica...

♡♡♡
Gyuri unnie

 

Jessica had no idea how many drops of tears had fallen on her lap while she was reading the letter. She only knew that she couldn't stop crying. Yuri sighed as she sat beside Jessica, pulling the girl to rest on her shoulder.

 


[A/N] 29/9/2014

Because I suddenly dropped you readers a surprise when Gyuri sacrificed her life for Jessica, this chapter is (almost) the whole GyuriSica story that I personally felt could be one of the most touching scenes/pairing in this story even though this story is a TaengSic/Girls' Generation story. Initially, when I was writing the story plan, I never thought that GyuriSica would be able to get me this much. I don't know if you readers found this chapter boring because there was almost only Sica to keep this chapter a part of a Girls' Generation story. But if I were to be honest, this might very well be one of my favourite chapters even though Taeyeon was not in it at all.

EIther way, write me something? Also, yesterday, I wrote a new one-shot in my Fly, Karma Butterfly collection and it's titled We Are Always One. If you guessed that it was inspired by their new Japanese song Divine, you're right. Check it out? ;)

Subscribe, comment and upvote if you liked what you read :)
© Sky Blue Tales ✍