Soul Twins

The Silver Guardian

Note: This chapter is currently raw and unedited. I apologise in advance for any mistakes.

- Story view -

Taeyeon stared in shock as she eyed the Trail that was charging directly at her. Silver Guardians and Rebels had the inborn capability of sensing huge surges of energy and preparing themselves for the impact, from a distance that is. As such, powerful Silver Guardians and Rebels usually attacked at close distance to deliver a fatal blow to their opponents, especially opponents who were stronger than they were. Jessica's Trail was supposed to hit Taeyeon within a second, and it surprised Taeyeon even more when it didn't. Taeyeon had absolutely no control over her powers right at that moment. Her powers, on the other hand, had no intention of letting their owner come to any harm. Everything before Taeyeon's eyes were reduced to slow motion. Jessica's Trail was inching slowly towards her, instead of charging at her like before. Taeyeon's eyes automatically dropped to the girl behind the Trail, as she registered the Silver Pulse on the girl's neck, and the unmistakable silver eyes which flashed signs of hatred that Taeyeon didn't know of. Taeyeon shifted her attention back to the Trail in front of her, but she had no idea what to do. Her mind was in a whirl. The Trail was just a centimetre away when Taeyeon squeezed her eyes shut — game over.

Yuri's hand had barely managed to land on Jessica, while Sunny held her Trail, just one more step to Taeyeon with Tiffany following close behind. However, all three of them stopped, as their eyes widened at what was happening before their eyes. The metallic blue aurora, from the merge of Jessica's Trail and the Trail that Taeyeon didn't know she had released, was stunning. No, it was beyond stunning. That very moment their Trails made contact and the aurora appeared, something changed in Jessica's eyes. Previously, she wasn't able to recognise the girl before her, and her Guardian soul had acted on its own upon sensing the extremely strong yet unfamiliar Rebel right by her side. Yet all of a sudden, her eyes registered the girl. With confusion, she stuttered, "T-Tae... Taeyeon...?"

Taeyeon's eyes sprung open the moment she heard that voice. She looked into Jessica's silver eyes in uncertainty, and fear. That fear that Jessica saw almost broke her heart at that instant. Taeyeon was fearful of her. Jessica looked at the metallic blue aurora once more, and then, she got it. She finally understood. Jessica let out a soft, defeated laugh, before she weakly pushed herself up with one hand, while her other hand reached out to hug Taeyeon. Taeyeon needed no prompts to return the hug.

"Why the heck do I have a Soul Twin...?" Jessica asked with an obvious smile, and Tiffany found herself chuckling at the reaction of this unfamiliar, yet familiar stranger.

Taeyeon gently pulled away from the hug, her eyes full of questions. "H-huh...?"

"I think... We should all sit down and talk," Sunny answered on Jessica's behalf. "Hi Jessica-ssi, I'm Sunny. Nice to meet you."

"And... I'm Tiffany. It's not my first time meeting you, still, nice to meet you," Tiffany joined in with a slight smile.

"I'm Yuri, nice to meet you all." All eyes turned to Yuri, including a few pair of narrowed eyes, and Yuri responded with a cowardly smile.

Jessica took in a deep breath, before she too introduced herself. "Um... I'm... Jessica Jung."

***

The girls brought in chairs to the room which Jessica was in, so that the girl could continue resting in bed.

"So... Someone care to...explain to me why this..." Jessica turned to look at Taeyeon while she tried to figure out the right word to use, "...this...um...woman...um...yeah...?"

Tiffany dropped Sunny a look, and Sunny took it as a prompt to take over the explanation. "Okay... First of all..." Sunny turned to face Taeyeon, before she stood up abruptly. Tiffany followed suit while the rest looked on in confusion. It confused the rest even further when both girls bowed, 90-degree, to Taeyeon. "Miss, we're sorry for keeping this from you. We'll do our best and give you our full assistance from here onwards."

"I'm sorry, Miss."

Miss...? Yuri frowned as she thought hard. Then, it struck her. "Don't tell me...Taeyeon is...that person?!" When Tiffany nodded, Yuri found herself standing up before she bowed as well. "I'm sorry for any disrespect previously Miss."

"U-uh... Am I...m-missing something...?" Jessica interrupted weakly.

Taeyeon stared with agape, until she finally brought herself to ask, "Um guys... What is wrong with all of you? What's with...calling me Miss...? Is there something that I should know...?"

"Well... Miss, you're...the first daughter of the royal family," Sunny began explaining.

"The...the what?" Taeyeon almost laughed at the absurdity of the term 'royal family' in her head.

"Your parents..." However, once Tiffany mentioned her parents, Taeyeon no longer found it funny. "Your parents were the rulers of the Silver Guardians, and Silver Guardians are what we are, or should I say, supposed to be." Jessica's eyes widened at Tiffany's words, before she turned to look at Taeyeon in shock. "And so," Tiffany continued, "that makes you...our current ruler, Miss."

"Since thirteen years ago, actually." Sunny's comment only shocked Taeyeon further.

"Mom and dad were...the...rulers you're saying...?" Taeyeon asked in disbelief, and Sunny nodded.

"But why is Taeyeon a Rebel? And why are you guys on her side?" Jessica suddenly asked.

"Ah... That. It's because..." Tiffany subtly turned towards Taeyeon, "...Taeye— I mean, Miss, was sick."

Taeyeon only pointed to herself in surprise, "M-me...?"

"Yes. And...because you were sick, your father wanted to find a way to save you. He kept himself busy with Lee Kijin, Joon Park and Jung Hoyoung to"

"Wait." Jessica cut Tiffany's words short. "Who? Jung Hoyoung?"

"Yes Jung Hoyoung. What's the matter?" Tiffany asked in response.

"He's my..." Jessica's voice shook as she answered, "...dad."

Silence followed as Sunny and Tiffany looked at Jessica with their mouth wide open. It was about a minute after when Sunny spoke up. "Lee Kijin...killed Taeyeon's parents...and yours..."

"What do you" Taeyeon wanted to ask, but she was stopped by Sunny.

"Let me finish first, alright?" Sunny cleared for a moment, and then she continued, "Like Tiffany said, your father wanted to find a way to let you recover. He found out a way, and that was how you...you became...the first Silver Rebel." Everyone was staring at Sunny in shock, except Tiffany, but Sunny forced herself to continue her explanation. "It wasn't termed 'Silver Rebel' at that time, until...Lee Kijin wanted those powers for his own. Joon ahjussi and Hoyoung ahjussi wanted to stop Lee Kijin from going after your father. But...they ended up...losing their lives, and Lee Kijin...managed to learn of the way to become a Rebel. Your parents escaped for a little while, and then eventually...they..." Sunny didn't have to complete her sentence for them to know what happened.

"What about...the two of you...?" Taeyeon finally asked.

"We...were both orphans when your mother found us on the street. She gave us a place to stay and helped us through our education. She took care of us like her daughters for three years. And then...when they were on the run...your dad begged us to take care of you. Of course, we had no intention of doing otherwise."

"You mean... I didn't...bump into you guys...? You guys actually planned for it to happen...?" Sunny only nodded at Taeyeon's questions. "Then...why did I...why did I not know about all these?"

"The moment you became a Rebel, your memories were accidentally wiped because it was just an experiment, a risk, in the very first place. Your father never planned for this to happen. He only wanted you to get better. But... Lee Kijin managed to find a way to create...the real Silver Rebels." Tiffany answered this time. "If you're wondering why some of us are Rebels... Me and Sunny were initially Guardians, but we became Rebels to keep track of what is happening among the Rebels so that we can make sure that they aren't hunting you down. As for Yuri..."

"My cousin," Yuri answered. "My cousin joined them, and forced me to do the same. But... I really hated being a part of them, so I just...stopped being a part of them, I guess."

"Yup..." Tiffany nodded. "So anyway... Your dad thought that the best way to protect you was to seal all those powers and...the anklet you were wearing all those years was that seal. And that seal was broken, when we found you with Jessica-ssi that day." Tiffany looked at Sunny for a moment. The story was incomplete, and Sunny knew it very well. Yet, she said nothing as Tiffany turned back to look at Taeyeon. "That's...probably it."

Taeyeon's mind was blown. There was just too much information that she had to absorb all of a sudden. Guardians. Rebels. She held her head which was aching all of a sudden.

"Are you saying that... Taeyeon saved me...?" Jessica finally caught on.

"I don't know..." Taeyeon muttered under her breath, her hands still holding her head. Then, she slowly looked up at Jessica. "You went crazy that day and I was running after you. When I finally caught up with you, I found you with two guys and something just looked really off. I don't know what happened from there onwards. I was scared, but my body just acted on its own. I only remember holding you in my arms and you were unconscious... And then... I don't know. It just went...pitch dark..."

"And then suddenly you guys are Soul Twins," Yuri commented out of the blue.

Yuri's comment only brought yet another question to Taeyeon's throbbing head. Taeyeon let out a frustrated sigh, before she turned to Yuri. "So... What the hell are Soul Twins?"

"Soul Twins are—" Sunny was about to explain, when Jessica interrupted.

"Let me explain this time," Jessica said, before she turned back to Taeyeon. "Soul Twins...are... Why not, let me show you." Jessica released a weak Trail, and then she looked at Taeyeon. "Release a—"

"Please do not ask her to release her Trail, Jessica-ssi. She still isn't able to control her powers," Sunny warned.

Jessica's Trail disappeared immediately upon Sunny's words. "Okay, I shall not show it to you then. Well, Soul Twins are two connected souls. Nobody knows why the souls of Soul Twins are connected to each other but... Yeah. Soul Twins aren't exactly twins. I mean, it's obvious we aren't twins. But, Soul Twins are said to have extreme telepathic powers, and that the heightened sense of protection is inborn when it comes to their Soul Twin."

"I actually think that was the reason why the anklet broke," Tiffany spoke up.

Jessica only nodded. "That's exactly what I'm thinking too. And one thing. You healed me didn't you?" Jessica directed her question at Taeyeon, who nodded back. "Rebels are incapable of healing anyone, even their fellow Rebels. It was the shortcoming that came with being a Rebel. Guardians are the only ones who can heal fellow Guardians, as well as Rebels. But, you actually healed me, and the only possible way for a Rebel to ever be able to heal anyone, is if he or she is the Soul Twin of the one he or she is healing. Also, Guardians and Rebels... They aren't supposed to mix. Even though Rebels like Yuri are able to control their hostility towards Guardians, it is a natural trait for Rebels to see Guardians as enemies, and vice versa. The Guardian within me sensed the Rebel in you earlier on, and I was too weak to process anything before my body attacked you on its own. Of course...it recognised its twin in the end and...yeah."

"So..." Taeyeon let out a breath. "I am... Uh... I am a...Silver Rebel, who is...your..." She pointed at Jessica with uncertainty. "Um... Your Soul...Twin...? And you..." She pointed to Yuri next. "You are...a Rebel. And you two..." She put her finger down and bit her lip, before she continued, "...are Silver Guardians?"

"Uh... No. I told you earlier on that we are Rebels. Our Silver Pulses take on a darker shade," Tiffany casually explained.

"Our...what?" This time, Jessica found her chuckling at Taeyeon's confused expression.

"Silver Pulse, Taeyeon. This." Jessica pointed to the sign on her own neck. "I'm a Guardian, so mine's silver. You are a Rebel, so yours...is dark grey. Okay?"

Taeyeon didn't know why, but she smiled as she nodded at the sight of Jessica's smile.

"And...about those eyes..." Jessica's hand gently reached out to cup Taeyeon's cheek. Keeping the smile on her face, she closed her own eyes, and Taeyeon found herself closing hers as well. When Jessica reopened her eyes, those silver eyes were replaced by beautiful brown orbs. Magically, Taeyeon slowly opened her eyes, and like the girl before her, her eyes shone a beautiful shade of brown, all signs of silver disappearing without a trace. Taeyeon couldn't hold back a grin, and Jessica only returned a toothy grin.

"Are all Soul Twins this disgusting?" Sunny suddenly asked with a look of disgust on her face, causing laughter to erupt in the room for the first time that day.

***

Sitting down at her desk with her eyes closed, Chaerin recalled the day she felt that familiar Trail. She never thought that it would ever happen in this lifetime. She knew that she couldn't have been mistaken, when Jiyong and Seunghyun returned that day, badly weakened, mission unaccomplished. There was no one else she could think of who could stop both Jiyong and Seunghyun. Clenching her fist, her eyes shot open, revealing those dangerous silver eyes.

Her dark Silver Pulse flashing threateningly, she muttered under her breath, "Kim Taeyeon."

 

 


[A/N] 4/11/2014

Firstly, thank you iasb123 for making another picture for this story. :)

Alright, now, this is the hardest chapter to write thus far. It was so easy knowing all those in my mind but it was difficult as hell to piece those information and then write them down. I'm so glad I managed to complete this chapter. I was afraid of leaving any information out, so if any parts confused you, just drop me a question in a comment. Even if you have no questions, write me something. :)

Oh and, because I'm really caught up with work this week, the next chapter for Love Assumed as well as the The Silver Guardian may delayed for a little while. Probably less than a week, but I thought I'd still let you know.

If you're a Twitter user, you can follow me at hwang_carmen to get updates about my stories (and my random tweets at times). Do let me know who you are if you're following me though! I figured some of your Twitter usernames might be really different from your AFF usernames so...yeah.

Subscribe, comment and upvote if you liked what you read :)
© 
Sky Blue Tales