Always My Sister

The Silver Guardian

Warning: This chapter is raw. I just wanted to post this quickly so that I don't keep any of you waiting. I'll edit this once I wake up from a good sleep...

- Story view -

Hyungsik buried his face in his hands, hoping to calm himself down. It had been two weeks since Chaerin had given that warning. That four times he tried to get Jessica in the two weeks, she had managed to escape every single time. This was his last chance. The last chance to save not only his real older sister Gyuri, but also, the other older sister, Jessica.

With his eyes still closed, he finally sat up straight. Slowly, he opened his eyes. Those flashing silver eyes, together with the flaring dark Pulse on his neck. He knew she was near. Taking one last deep breath, he moved off to follow Jessica.

It didn't take long for Jessica to notice that she was being followed, and she immediately stopped in her tracks. She knew very well who it was. "Hyungsik ah," she called out, not even turning to face the boy. Slowly, the boy took small steps until he was barely a metre behind Jessica.

"Sica..." He responded helpessly. "Sica nuna..."

"I won't go back with you. Please just go."

"Nuna... She's gonna kill you if I don't bring you back. I really don't w-"

"Hyungsik ah," Jessica cut his words, "Take care of your own sister."

"But I-" Before Hyungsik could complete his sentence, he felt his phone vibrate, and he took it out to read the message.

Miss Chaerin
I want you back here at 10pm.

Hyungsik's heart raced as he lowered his phone. He knew that this was the end if Jessica still refused to head back with him. "Nuna... Please..."

"Take care of yourself, Hyungsik." Without more words, Jessica left without a trace.

"Nuna..." The boy could only mutter under his breath, his fists clenched tightly by his sides.

***

Taeyeon sat on her bed, unable to take her mind off Jessica. It was bothering her, so much that she couldn't make herself get out of bed to do anything productive at all. She picked up her mobile to send a text message.

Jessica
Hey what are you up to today?

Half an hour passed, but she received no replies. She could only let out a sigh as she messed up her own hair, before she collapsed onto the bed once more, covering herself fully with her blanket. She needed to shut herself off from the world. The world without Jessica all of a sudden.

Jessica, on the other hand, wasn't feeling any better than Taeyeon. She had received the message, and all she wanted to reply was a simple 'I miss you', but she couldn't. She shouldn't. She gently threw her phone on her bed while she turned to lie on her side, the frown staying on her forehead. Then, something else occuied her mind. She's gonna kill you if I don't bring you back. Chaerin seemed to finally be taking that step. It had been years since that girl wanted to get her to join the Rebels, and since she lost the two siblings to that same girl. She shook her head, wanting to shake off all those thoughts. They were bringing back painful memories, and they were reminding Jessica of the time when she was left all alone and she had felt like the whole world had betrayed her. Kill me if they want to. So be it. Jessica thought.

***

"Kill her." Chaerin's voice sounded like a sword to Gyuri, piercing right through her heart.

"I don't get it. We can just get her back. We don't have to kill her," Gyuri argued.

"You've taken two whole years to get one girl, Gyuri. Two whole years. You were the one who told me that you had the confidence to bring her back right in the very first place," Chaerin's tone was threatening, and Jiyong smirked as he chewed gum.

"We... We just need a bit more tim-"

"Ten more years you're saying?" Seunghyun did not hold back from cutting her words short, as he looked into her eyes impatiently.

"I don't want to kill h-" This time, Hyungsik tugged at his sister's arm under the meeting table, before he shook his head slightly, gesturing her to stop arguing.

"I see your brother has a better sense than you. I'm not going to waste any more time on Jessica Jung. I want her killed. You and Hyungsik will bring her body to me, within a week. If not, Jiyong or Seunghyun will have to do it. And you will be following Jessica to the hell that she's gonna head to."

"I said I don't want t-" Before Gyuri could say anything more, Seunghyun appeared at her side almost within a split second, his hand on her Pulse. It wasn't long before the girl convulsed as she collapsed to the ground in pain.

"Hyung! Please! Please don't! Hyung!" Hyungsik dropped to his knees, both his hands on Seunghyun's arm. "Nuna! Hyung please..." Seunghyun didn't let go, and Gyuri kept whimpering, the colour of life slowly draining out of her face.

"Seunghyun." With a single call of his name by Chaerin, Seunghyun let go and gave Gyuri an indifferent stare. Chaerin then took a few steps towards Gyuri, before she crossed her arms. "I'm going to have Jessica's body here within a week. Is that clear?"

Gyuri fell limp in her brother's arms, her body shaking uncontrollably. "Y-yes... Yes Miss Chaerin..." Hyungsik replied with an unstable voice. The boy hugged his sister tight as the other three Rebels made their way out of the room.

***

Jessica swallowed her saliva, sensing the danger from behind her. Her eyes flashing silver, she released her Trail as she turned to face the back. There they were, Hyungsik and Gyuri. Hyungsik's eyes were still black, and sadness was obvious in those eyes. Jessica could see them all. All those 'I'm sorry's in that look. Then, in just another blink, his eyes flashed to silver while his dark Trail started to outline his body. That boy was strong, and Jessica knew that very well. Chaerin must have sent them to kill her. Jessica knew that very well too. At the corner of her eyes, she could sense Jiyong not too far away. There was no escape this time round. She had to fight them.

Letting out a painful sigh, she dashed forward, lunging at Hyungsik, who dodged it skillfully and moved right behind her in a split second. He aimed for her Pulse but Jessica who was nimble on her feet managed to escape, letting Hyungsik's fingers scrape past her neck. However, without warning, Gyuri attacked her in the midst of the fight, striking her hard on her back. Hyungsik was about to follow up with another strike but Jessica released a burst of Trail, distracting them for a second while she retreated backwards to a safe distance for a breath.

She thought that she had a moment to compose herself, but she was wrong. Gyuri came up beside her almost instantly and she had barely managed to block her attack when Hyungsik landed a powerfully packed Trail through her chest. Jessica collapsed, her Silver Pulse flashing weakly, threatening to disappear. The siblings took steps backwards as they watched Jessica clutch her chest in pain while she breathed with difficulty.

Hyungsik turned to look at his sister, uncertainty shown in his eyes. From the corner of his eyes, he could sense that they were being watched, and there was no way they could prevent what was going to happen next from happening. He knew what was coming their way, but he didn't want it to happen, yet, he had no choice. Because, love. He looked at his sister like he never did. At least, he could say that he was proud of her. When Gyuri smiled sadly at him, tears welled up in his eyes, but he forced himself to look away instead. His Pulse flaring on his wrist as he gathered his Trail, he looked at Jessica, who was looking back at him with tear-filled eyes.

The first stream of tears rolled down his cheek. "Nuna, I'm sorry..." Jessica squeezed her eyes shut as the boy raised his arm. However, her Pulse picked up a weird feeling and when she forced her eyes open, she was shocked to see a wall of blinding light.

And then, it occurred to her. The Silver Shield of Sacrifice. "No. No!" She screamed at the top of her voice, but her voice was soon engulfed as a figure wrapped their arms around her. She needn't see who it was before tears filled her eyes. She could only feel the arms tightening around her, and she knew how much it was hurting for that person. "Unnie!" Jessica grabbed the shoulder of that girl and pulled her away from her so that she could look at her. "Gyuri...u-unnie..." Tears were flowing non-stop down Jessica's cheeks.

"S-Sica ya..."

"Why...why did you do this...?" Jessica cupped Gyuri's face with her shaking hand.

"Because...I-I'm...your unnie..." Gyuri smiled, but that smile only reduced Jessica to more tears. "I'm sorry... Sica ya..."

"No... No..." Jessica only shook her head.

"I..." Gyuri clenched her teeth as she tried to continue talking. "I should have...bought you more...ice cream..."

"No... Unnie... I'm sorry... I shou-"

"Sica!" Jessica's eyes widened at Yuri's voice.

"Go... Sica..." Jessica only stared at Gyuri, unable to think of anything else. "Go!"

"No. I can't go!" The girl knew that the Silver Shield of Sacrifice would cease to protect her the moment Gyuri stopped breathing. That was how it worked. Using her life as a sacrifice to shield a Guardian or Rebel from anything and everything.

"Don't let my e-effort go into w-waste..." Gyuri pleaded.

Reluctantly, Jessica stood up with Yuri's help, but her eyes didn't leave Gyuri. She couldn't stop crying. "Thank you..." Jessica's voice was shaking so badly. "Thank you for...for buying me ice cream...unnie... You're always...my sister... We... We'll be real sisters...the next lifetime... Promise..." The younger girl barely managed to say those words.

Gyuri only nodded while she tried to put on her best smile. "P-promise... Goodbye...our pretty little one..."

 


[A/N] 23/9/2014

I'm guessing it's actually the real Monday now for some of you? I'm sorry I didn't have time to write this over the weekends. In fact, I'm not sure if this chapter is good because I'm dead tired right now. The scenes were good in my head but I really had no idea how to put them into words because...you know I'm not good at writing fantasy. Either way, write me something!

I'm so tired so I'mma crash. I know there are some comments that I've yet to reply to, I'll reply them once I'm free. Happy Monday! (Or Tuesday.) Remember to vote for this story if you like reading it. :)

Subscribe, comment and upvote if you liked what you read :)
© Sky Blue Tales ✍