To Protect, Or Kill

The Silver Guardian

- Story view -

It was a Thursday night when Taeyeon was taking a stroll alone at the park near her house. She was, however, paying no attention to anything else except the phone in her hands. Nothing else could occupy her, except the messages that she was receiving from Jessica Jung.

 

Jessica
no hahaha. i was too busy tryna stop laughing.
didnt u notice how desperate i was to get ur attention.
but u were like oblivious.
What. I wasn't oblivious. I just wasn't as mean as you.
Meanieeeeeeee!
please.
anyway did u catch the latest episode of the tts? it was so funny.
I did! The leader was like so cute.
Did you notice that two best friends' interactions? Omg I was squealing. They were like so gay.
whos gay? the leader and her best friend?
YES
u delusional shippers.
childish!
Omg you .
haha sorry just taeyeon.
are u home anyway?
No. I'm taking a walk near my house hohoho.
The wind is great.
whats the occasion for a walk in the park?

 

Kinda got reminded of the time when I went for a walk with y

Taeyeon wasn't done typing her reply, when someone stopped in her path, not too far away. Sensing some sort of a figure in front of her, she looked up from her phone and was surprised to see a familiar, yet not so familiar, face. What was her name again? Taeyeon tried hard to remember. Park... Park Gyuri! Fear was obvious in the girl's eyes as she eyed Gyuri.

"W-what do you want...?" Taeyeon took steps backwards while Gyuri kept advancing.

"Kim Taeyeon."

It was the last thing Taeyeon heard before she felt pain as her world fell into darkness.

***

Jessica adjusted herself and she settled comfortably into her couch, waiting for Taeyeon's reply, which came just a little slower than before.

 

Just Taeyeon
Nothing. I missed you.

 

Furrowing her eyebrows while a smile stayed on her face, Jessica shook her head as she typed a reply.

 

Just Taeyeon
what...
mushy much. seriously though, its dangerous for a girl like u to be out alone at this time
You know, you really should call me unnie.
...
why?
i thought we were fine with just taeyeon hahaha
Can you call me? I miss you. 

 

Jessica knitted her brows, wondering what was up with Taeyeon, but she dialed the girl all the same. The call was connected in an instant.

"Hello? Just Taeyeon? Stop being weird," Jessica spoke with amusement.

"Sica ya." The smile on Jessica's face faded when the voice that came through the receiver sounded wrong.

"Taeyeon?"

"Our Sica ya." That voice sounded too familiar.

"You're not Taeyeon. Who are you?"

"Do you not recognise unnie's voice Sica ya?" It struck Jessica. Park Gyuri.

"Park Gyuri why is Taeyeon's phone with you?"

"Well, because she's here with me? What else?"

Jessica sat up almost immediately, her eyes flashing a threatening silver. "What did you do to her? Where the are you?"

Gyuri chuckled, much to Jessica's annoyance. "Look for her then."

"She's not one of us. How the hell do I find her like that?!" Jessica's impatience was starting to overwhelm her.

"If you care for her, then you can." Gyuri challenged.

"No wait. Gyur-" Before Jessica could complete her sentence, Gyuri hung up. "Hello? Gyuri? Park Gyuri!"

Tears began welling up in the girl's eyes. Where the hell am I supposed to find her?! Jessica buried her head into her shaking hands. I'm taking a walk near my house hohoho. All of a sudden, she sat up, and without further hesitation, she grabbed her coat and dashed out of her house.

The park was huge, and each second that passed just made Jessica feel like Taeyeon might not be at that place at all. It was fortunate that the park was a secluded one and Jessica could travel fast without incurring anyone's suspicion.

"T-Taeyeon...?" The girl gently called out, slowly starting to get annoyed at herself for not being able to make out a human being's whereabout. She was about to move forward, when something in her just made her stop in her tracks. She had already entirely scanned the paths that she had taken, and she was almost sure that she didn't miss a single spot out. But what was that feeling that seemed to be pulling her back? Furrowing her eyebrows, she decided to believe her instinct and make a turn back, moving towards that specific place where she experienced that feeling.

Her eyes widened when she saw an arm appearing from behind the bushes. Taking another step forward, Jessica ran towards the person the moment she registered her face.

"Taeyeon ah. Taeyeon ah! Taeyeon ah come to your senses!" Without thinking, she cupped the girl's neck, wanting to transfer energy to her. It only hit her again, when what she did had no effect on the girl, that Taeyeon was not a Silver Guardian nor Rebel. What are you doing... Jessica scolded herself internally. Holding Taeyeon in her arms, she forced herself to close her eyes and take in deep breaths so that she could calm down. Slowly opening her eyes, Jessica looked at Taeyeon worriedly. "Taeyeon ah..." The girl then brushed her thumb gently across the unconscious girl's cheek. "I'm sorry..."

***

When the blinding light from the sun shone into the room, Taeyeon squeezed her eyes shut, wanting to continue sleeping, until she wondered what time it was and she turned to look at her clock. 11:12. Gasping, she sat up in shock before she she suddenly held her shoulder in immense pain.

"Taeyeon ah!" Hearing the pained yells from Taeyeon, Tiffany rushed into her room. "Are you okay?"

"Ouch... Oh my gosh... Ouch..." Taeyeon couldn't respond except to constantly groan in pain. That was until she got reminded of what happened the night before. Her eyes full of uncertainty, she started asking, "Why am I...here...?"

"This is our house. Where else should you be?"

"I...was attacked last night...and...and..."

"And luckily for you, Sunny was around the corner and she got to you in time."

Taeyeon ah! Taeyeon ah come back to your senses! "Soonkyu...?" That was Sunny...?

"Yes. Did you see who it was?"

"Y-yeah... Sort of..."

"He's someone you know?"

"Uh... It was a...she..."

"What?! A she could inflict this injury on you?"

"I've seen her before... I don't know why she's doing this..."

"Wait. Do you really know her?"

"Yeah... I mean, I don't know her...but...I know her... As in... She doesn't know me... I think..."

"What are you saying Tae? Who's she?"

"I only know her name's Park Gyuri..."

"Park... Park what? Park Gyuri?" A familiar anger flashed across Tiffany's eyes in that split second but Taeyeon failed to notice it.

"Ah whatever... I need to get back to work... I have a pile of things that I ha-"

"Shut up and rest."

"No wait Tiff I really need t-"

"I think I just told you to shut up."

Taeyeon closed almost immediately, knowing better than to make an angry Tiffany even angrier, even though she had no idea what had caused the sudden change in her best friend.

***

Jessica sighed as she ran her fingers through her hair.

"Seriously, are you just gonna ignore her forever?" Yuri spoke up with worry in her eyes. "She's gonna turn up for work soon. You can't avoid her forever."

"I don't know. I don't know okay Yul? It's all my fault. I knew I shouldn't have made friends with a human being. I never should have done that."

"Sica..."

"... I need to kill Gyuri. I need to kill that ing ."

"Sica calm down..."

" this I'm out of here." Jessica stood up right after and she made her way to her room, slamming the door shut behind her.

Yuri could only sigh, as she thought about whatever that had happened that night.

"Hello? Yul? Can you please be here? I need your help. Gyuri injured Taeyeon... I can't... I can't transfer my energy to her... There's nothing I can do. Yul please..."

"Sica calm down I'll be right there!"

Yuri arrived at the girls' side not too long after, speeding through the roads, and she had to comfort a badly shaken Jessica, although the sight shocked her. Jessica was never one to be shaken. She was always strong, a trait that came with her immense power as a Silver Guardian. She never backed down from encounters with Silver Rebels no matter how powerful they were, but here she was, soulless and broken because she had caused hurt to a human being, indirectly.

"Sica, get your act together. She's fine. Gyuri just hit her unconscious that's all. She didn't hurt her elsewhere," Yuri tried explaining, but Jessica wasn't listening. "Get up. Let's go to my car." When Jessica didn't move an inch, Yuri raised her voice slightly. "Jung Sooyeon, I need to bring Taeyeon home so that she can rest at a better place. Are you not gonna cooperate?"

Her whole mind occupied with her worry for Taeyeon, she quickly stood up and followed Yuri to her car. Yuri dropped Jessica off and had the girl to promise her that she would get a good rest herself before she sped off to Taeyeon's house.

"What the heck?!" Yuri flinched when a worried Tiffany who answered the door yelled upon seeing Taeyeon unconscious in Yuri's arms.

After settling Taeyeon into bed, Yuri, Tiffany and Sunny sat at the couch in the living room.

"What happened?" Sunny asked.

"No idea. I was just in the vicinity when I saw someone attacking her so I quickly got to her," Yuri lied, knowing that her Rebel friends hated Silver Guardians.

"You didn't see the culprit?" This time, Tiffany spoke up.

"No. I think...you girls should stay close to her for the time being."

"Aren't we already close enough? She's not gonna like it if we infringe on her privacy," Sunny replied worriedly.

"Just...do what you deem fit. Don't tell her that I was the one who brought her here. I don't know if I'll let anything slip if she asks me about it."

"Argh..." Yuri groaned as her head fell back on the headrest.

***

Taeyeon hadn't turned up for work for days, but what was on her mind was surprisingly not the amount of work that she would have to do, instead, it was the fact that Jessica hadn't shown any concern for her. She picked up her phone once again to send a text message.

 

Jessica
Hey, how was work?

 

She waited for a reply nervously, but when it came, she wasn't quite pleased with it.

 

Jessica
still fine.
Aren't you worried because I wasn't in the office for the past few days?
i figured u know how to take care of urself.
Jessica did something happened...?
Did I do something wrong?
You sound really cold...
im fine. nothing happened.
Can we meet tonight? For dinner or something?
im having dinner with my sister. sorry.

 

Her door opened just as she let out a long sigh.

"Woah, what's up Tae? What's with that sigh?" Tiffany took a seat on Taeyeon's bed and offered her a bowl of grapes.

Taeyeon mindlessly took a grape and popped it into . Her expression downcast, she stared at her bed as she spoke. "My friend is ignoring me..."

"Hmm?" Tiffany stopped chewing for a moment before she resumed. "Yuri?"

"Huh? No, not Yuri."

"Who else?"

"You remember that newcomer?"

"That sloth?"

"Yeah. That...sloth... Her name's Jessica."

"Okay... What about Jessica? I mean, what happened?"

"I don't know... We were talking fine and all and then-"

"You were talking fine? You guys stopped hating each other?"

"Sorta... I mean, we kinda realised that we just didn't know each other well. We hit it off really well after that."

"Uh-huh... So what's the problem?"

"We were still fine just the other day, but all of a sudden she's all cold towards me. I haven't been to work for days and she wasn't concerned about me at all... And then she wouldn't have dinner with me. I don't know... I feel like my heart's all heavy..." Tiffany said nothing. Instead, she looked at Taeyeon with an eyebrow raised. "What's with that look?"

"She matters that much to you?" Tiffany's sudden question rendered Taeyeon speechless, as she looked away from Tiffany. Mischief flickered in Tiffany's eyes while she crossed her arms. "Did you two go on a date?"

"H-huh?"

"A date."

"Does...going to a fair count...?"

Tiffany's eyes widened, but not in shock. "Ya Kim Taeyeon! Me and Sunny have been asking you to go to the fair with us and you are always saying that you're busy! And now you're telling me that you went to the fair with her?!"

"I-"

"Oh my gosh Kim Taeyeon you're the death of me. You're so... Oh my gosh I'm pissed. I'm so pissed!"

"But I-"

"Alright tell me. Tell me what else did you two do?"

"We didn't really do much... We just have dinner a few times a week..."

"That's the reason you tell us you aren't eating at home...?"

Uh-oh. "I uh... Uh..."

"I need to see her. I need to see this Jessica girl. Oh my gosh."

"Do you really have t-"

"Yes!" Tiffany almost yelled and Taeyeon flinched.

"Okay okay go ahead! She's just working at my place anyway. Pop by someday and I'll introduce her to you."

"As your girlfriend?" Tiffany rolled her eyes.

"She's not my girlfriend for goodness sake."

"All these years. I'm not your best friend for nothing Kim Taeyeon. You like that girl. Don't even try denying." I...like that girl? As if Tiffany could hear Taeyeon's inner thoughts, she repeated, "Yes. You like that girl. Don't tell me you're unaware of it. It's so damn obvious."

***

The girl sat at her couch at her office, one leg crossed over the other. The room was modern, but an ominous aura coming from the girl alone made the space feel like a cold dungeon.

Hearing the door behind her swing open, she only turned her head to side, acknowledging the newcomer's presence.

"Miss Chaerin," the low husky voice sounded.

"Mmm," Chaerin hummed, before she turned her head towards her front again.

"Why did you summon me, Miss Chaerin?"

"Is your sister doing fine, Hyungsik?" Chaerin asked, still not turning to face the man named Hyungsik.

Silence fell for a moment, and Hyungsik's fear could be sensed. "She...is still trying."

"How long does she need? A month? A year? Ten years?" Chaerin's voice was soft, but threatening. She finally stood up, as she turned to face Hyungsik. "Or the day I die?!" She screamed at Hyungsik without warning, causing even the well-built man to flinch.

"Sorry Miss Chaerin."

"I don't want your apology. I don't care about what they had in the past. If you don't bring that girl back, I'll have her killed."

Hyungsik's eyes widened. "No, Miss Chaerin. I'll get her. Give us some time."

"Hyungsik, I'm already giving you and Gyuri a lot of time. In fact, too much time. What's so difficult in bringing a mere girl back?"

"Miss Chaerin, Jessica is...really strong."

"Nonsense!" Hyungsik had his head bowed at Chaerin's outburst again.

"I'm sorry. I'll bring her back."

"If you don't get her back soon," Chaerin cold and unfeeling eyes met Hyungsik's fearful gaze, "you and Gyuri will be the ones to kill her."

Hyungsik could only swallow his saliva. He had no time to waste, if he wanted Jessica alive and out of the Rebel's leader's cruel grasp.

 


[A/N] 15/9/2014

So... Who anticipated Chaerin (CL from 2NE1 if you don't already know) to be the leader of the Silver Rebels? *smirks* To clear anyone's doubts just in case, yes, Hyungsik (from ZE:A) is Gyuri's younger brother in this story. Don't ask me what do I actually mean by the last sentence, because that was my hint for you regarding a certain part/relationship in this story. I know a few of you are still asking me about who Taeyeon actually is. Well, she can be...anything, isn't it? She's whatever you think she is, really. *grins* Don't kill me for the useless answer.

Now, anything you actually want to read? A confrontation? JeTi confrontation maybe? *smirks* I didn't say anything...

Also, I feel like I have to recommend UnNaturalFreak's TaengSic story Hate To Protect, Protect For Love. I haven't read such a genre for some time now, and I personally feel that it's great. If you're telling me that I inspired you to write, then I've to say that you were capable of writing good stories yourself to begin with. I'm anticipating your next chapter too, you. :)

Subscribe, comment and upvote if you liked what you read :)
© Sky Blue Tales ✍