The Girl In The Grey Area

The Silver Guardian

- Story view -

"Do you know the way?" A worried Yuri asked as Taeyeon arrived at the same road junction for the fourth time that evening.

Taeyeon only held one of her hand up, her eyes focused on the road, before she mindlessly muttered, "Leave it to me."

Yuri let out a helpless laugh as she turned to look out of the window instead. However, she frowned almost immediately when she recognised a familiar petite silhouette not too far away. "Kim Taeyeon pull over."

"Why?! I can handle this. The map says that-"

"Isn't that Jessica?"

Taeyeon furrowed her eyebrows and looked at the direction in which Yuri was pointing at. "It's her alright, but why should I pull over?"

"Let's just ask her along?" The taller girl glanced at her wristwatch for a moment before she continued, "I'm guessing she hasn't had dinner." Taeyeon raised her eyebrow, throwing Yuri a baffled look.

"But sh-"

"Babe...?"

Taeyeon stared blankly at Yuri who was giving her one of her pitiful looks. Pursing her lips, she flicked her turn indicator stalk reluctantly, having no choice but to make a U-turn. Reducing her speed when she was approaching Jessica, Taeyeon thoughtlessly honked at the poor girl who jumped in shock.

"Kim Taeyeon!" Yuri smacked her friend's arm and glared at her before she lowered her window to greet Jessica.

"Oh? Yuri?" Jessica stopped and returned the greeting, but her eyes widened a little in surprise when she caught sight of her supervisor. "Uh, hi...boss."

Taeyeon only smiled at her subordinate, but when she saw the death glare that Yuri was giving her, she cleared and almost unwillingly, she mumbled, "We're going for dinner. Do you wanna join us?"

Jessica looked surprised at the invitation, but she knew exactly how lavishly Yuri would usually spend on meals, except when it was with her. She didn't want to spend her hard earned money so easily this way, plus, it was a meal with Yuri and her boss. She ended up shaking her head politely, to Taeyeon's surprise. "It's okay. You guys go ahead."

Yuri, however, knew what was on Jessica's mind, and she threw Taeyeon another look. Taeyeon didn't know why she could understand Yuri's thoughts with just one look. As unwillingly as before, she said, "Hop on. It's my treat."

"Ah no it's o-"

"Sica, stop rejecting. I'm hungry." Yuri cut her words, and Jessica was left with no more options but to join in.

***

Yuri always had a way to get what she wanted, and this time, she wanted Taeyeon and Jessica to accept each other as friends. Afterall, she had had enough of their mutual complaints about each other, and each time, she had to rack her brains to calm them down.

"Sica ya," Yuri began.

"Mmm?" Jessica instinctively stopped chewing as she looked back at Yuri.

"Did you apologise to Taeyeon?"

"She did." Before Jessica even had the time to turn to look at Taeyeon, the girl had already answered the question on her behalf. "It's okay, Yul. I guess I was a little uptight." Jessica's eyes widened at Taeyeon's words. She had felt that she was the one who needed to apologise, not Taeyeon, and Taeyeon saying that she might have been a little uptight was the last thing that Jessica had imagined would ever happen.

"Unnie..." The word escaped Jessica's lips before she could gather her thoughts, but she didn't have the chance to finish her sentence, because it already had Yuri bursting out in laughter while Taeyeon shook her head, unable to hide the smile on her face as well. "W-what?" The confused Jessica asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Who are you calling 'unnie'?" Yuri asked, after she had managed to stop laughing even though the smile was stayed on her face.

"Uh...T-Taeyeon-ssi...?" Jessica didn't know why she was stuttering, but she had felt incredibly embarrassed, and she didn't know why either.

"Why would you call someone who is barely a month older than you 'unnie'?"

Jessica's face flushed almost immediately as she turned to look at Taeyeon. "W-we... You're born in 1989 too?"

"Hahahaha baby face Tae, this is almost the first time anyone thought you were older than your age," Yuri wouldn't stop teasing.

Jessica could only frantically try to explain, "U-uh no that wasn't what I meant! I just... As in... She's my boss so I th-"

"It's okay Jessica," Taeyeon smiled, gently patting Jessica's hand and Jessica swore her heart skipped a beat.

"Why did you even tell her it's okay Tae? Hahaha you should just bully her as an 'unnie' and t-"

Without warning, Yuri and Jessica's Silver Pulses flared and their eyes, which had flashed a hint of silver for merely a millionth of a second, met instantly, a sense of urgency obvious in their gazes.

"Choi Sooyoung." Yuri mumbled under her breath.

"What's wrong with the two of you?" Taeyeon's question snapped the girls back to reality.

Yuri quickly explained, "I kind of forgot that I was gonna help my friend out on something. I'm so sorry. You two have fun alright?" Taeyeon gave Yuri a disappointed look, and the latter brushed her thumb across the girl's cheek. "I'm sorry. Love you babe." Turning to Jessica, Yuri patted her head before she cooed, "And I love you too Jung Sica. Have fun girls!"

Looking at Yuri's back which was getting further, Taeyeon couldn't help but to let out a sigh.

"What's wrong...?" Jessica's voice was gentle, and even though Taeyeon was still not used to this side of Jessica, she thought that she needed her by her side at that moment.

"She's always like this. I can't remember the last time we had a proper meal without her leaving halfway like this."

"Ah..." Jessica didn't know what else to reply. Afterall, she knew the urgency that Silver Guardians, or Rebels, were always in. Many a time, they wouldn't be able to tell if a fight was about to break out, and so the Silver Guardians and Rebels were always on their guards. "Hmm, at least I'm here today, right?" She squeezed Taeyeon's arm, giving her a toothy grin, and the older girl nodded, returning her a friendly smile.

***

The two girls surprisingly had a great time without Yuri, talking about their first impressions of each other, how Taeyeon had told her friends that her new subordinate was a sloth, how Jessica had told her friends that her new boss always behaved like an aunt. Time passed without them knowing, and it was ten in the blink of an eye.

"Where do you live? Let me give you a lift," Taeyeon offered.

"Ah no it's okay don't trouble yourself. I'll just head back on my own."

"It's late, and it doesn't make sense for me to let you go home on your own when I'm driving. Plus, Yuri's gonna chop my head off if I let you do that."

"If you put it this way... Then...thanks, Taeyeon-ssi." Jessica couldn't hold back a smile.

"Just Taeyeon will do. Let's go."

They arrived at Jessica's home soon enough, and Jessica thanked her boss before she stepped out of the car. "Jessica!" She had only taken a few steps, when Taeyeon called out behind her.

"Yeah?" She raised her eyebrow, wondering if she had left anything behind.

"Hmm, I was thinking of taking a short walk and...I was wondering if...you would wanna come with me?"

"Hmm?" Jessica was surprised at the second invitation that night.

"Uh... I don't quite...like the dark." The older girl shyly admitted.

Jessica's eyes curved into a crescent and she found herself walking back to where Taeyeon was. "Okay. Let's go take a walk."

The girls were taking a comfortable silent stroll, when Jessica stopped as she tensed up, her Silver Pulse flaring. She knew that it was a Silver Rebel. Taeyeon on the other hand, who was slightly shocked, stopped too, her eyes fixed on Jessica. "What happened?" Jessica kept silent, her jaw clenched while her eyes scanned the environment. "J-Jessica...?" Taeyeon was taken aback by the sudden change in Jessica.

Unable to locate the newcomer, Jessica let out a breath. "Ah, it's nothing. I just felt a little...suffocated all of a sudden just now."

"Are you okay now?" Taeyeon asked worriedly.

"Yeah, guess I am. Let's go." Jessica forced a smile, but her senses were still on the lookout for any Rebel.

Then, Jessica found her, the Rebel. Instinctively, Jessica put an arm around Taeyeon, and her action shocked the girl, even though she didn't pull away. Taeyeon turned to look at Jessica for a brief moment, and Jessica only smiled at her. Jessica didn't stop this time as they continued walking, even though she kept her eyes fixed on the girl not too far away from her. Taeyeon hadn't noticed the newcomer, and Jessica wasn't planning to let her do that. The unknown Rebel only stood around, observing the two girls, and when they passed her, Jessica released her Trail, warning the newcomer.

Jessica felt the presence of the Rebel gradually disappearing, and she was relieved when the coast was clear after she and Taeyeon had safely walked back to the girl's car.

"Thanks so much. I really needed a breather." Taeyeon genuinely appreciated Jessica's company, even for that short while.

"No problem, boss. Drive safely alright?" Jessica replied, before she waved Taeyeon goodbye. Smiling to herself over an unknown reason, Jessica took light steps back to her house, almost forgetting the encounter with the Rebel earlier on.

On the other hand, a girl with short blonde hair sat in a car not too far away from Jessica's home, her eyebrows furrowed while she waited for the call to get connected.

"Hey?" The voice from the other end sounded through the speakers.

"Fany?"

"Yes. Oh wait, before anything. Is Taeyeon with you?"

"No, but I'm guessing she's on her way home."

"Oh okay. So what's the matter?"

"I saw Taeyeon with a Guardian."

"Taeyeon with a what?!"

"A Guardian."

"How did that happen?!"

"I don't know."

"What's the situation now?"

"Taeyeon's driving home I suppose. The Guardian's...probably back at her own home. We've gotta be careful though, Fany. That Guardian...doesn't look like someone we can easily deal with."

"I don't like it when you put it this way..."

"I don't like it when I see Taeyeon with a Guardian."

"But honestly, a Guardian is always still better than a Rebel."

"I'd rather we don't have both around her."

"Except us."

"Yeah, except us."

"So, are you coming back now?"

"Yeah."

"Okay. Do you want some food or something? Should I whip up something simple for you?"

"Don't trouble yourself Fany. I'll buy some food on the way back if I get hungry. You should go get some sleep."

"Okay then. We're having dinner at home tomorrow, anyway. TaeTae's been bugging me to cook her favourite food."

"How about my favourite food?"

"Yours too, silly."

"Alright. Love you Fany!"

"Love you too Soonkyu! Get back home safely!"

 


[A/N] 18/8/2014

So, it's TSG Monday! But I'm already having Monday blues... Anyone feeling the same way? ㅠㅠ I see YulTae/TaeRi scenes are confusing you readers, and I'm here giggling. Let's just say Yuri is our major flirt, or everyone's girlfriend, in this story. Taeyeon was protected by Jung Sica yet again in this chapter, and I personally liked the way Jessica was being naturally protective and defensive. And then...here comes SunSica! I really like SunSica too, actually.

Oh and, anyone who missed my (really rare) one-shot Being With Someone You Love, you should check it out :) Also, I know my only one-shot collection currently, Dear Death, sounds extremely scary and depressing, but you can give it a try as a form of support too, maybe. Hmm, I feel like I'm gonna get incredibly busy this week. Let's hope Love Assumed Friday will happen as scheduled. :)

Also, I mentioned this in Dear Death not too long ago, but I've a new drama story scheduled, and it's called The Fairytale Painters. I don't know but I kinda like this title the most out of the other stories. TFP probably won't be as long as The Broken Puzzle, Love Assumed and The Silver Guardian, but I'd like to know if you would want me to start on it, or to put it on hold until LA and/or TSG are/is completed. However, I won't be able to schedule a day every week for TFP, so if I do start on it, then the story will be updated whenever I have the time to write it. So let me know, okay? I'll be off for now. :)