02 - Unexpected Turn

Trust Me

~Unexpected Turn~~

The first month in SM went by pretty okay. I learned a lot about the different aspects of the entertainment industry. I worked on multiple jobs from calculating production costs , distributing royalties, budgeting for concert tours, staff payroll and so forth. I was in whole content and stopped regretting joining SM, mainly because I was actually getting an opportunity to learn a range of things, more than what Samsung could offer. Also, I dint feel alone, most of the people were nice except sometimes there were those grumpy managers who used to give the mean looks and order me around. But luckily I had Minah, to whom I could always go and vent my heart out. Minah has been a great support ever since I came to Korea, she's really sweet and pure, although she gets crazy whenever we see any idols stopping by the Finance & Business Strategy department. But then craziness is her charm. 

After a month, the CFO, Mr. Jong-in calls me to his cabin. I am scared and wonder if I have done something wrong and that he may fire me. I knock his cabin and he signals me to come in.

I see someone else also with him, I have seen this person a couple of times visiting our department before but I do not know anything much about him.

"Good Morning Sir. You asked to see me" , I awkwardly greet Mr. Jong-in.

"Good Morning Mia. So how is your work going. Are you liking it here?", he replies.

 "Yea.. Yes.. Its going good Sir.", I stutter.

"So I have heard a lot of things about you."

 "AAAAHHH.....About me?", I panic.

"Don't worry. I have heard good things about you. Everyone is pretty impressed with your hard work. Especially with the concert budgeting for SHINEE tour. The financial planning and budgeting for the concert was very impressive. Great work!", he says.

"Oh!! Thank you Sir!"

"So the reason I called you is that, I want to give you a little more challenging role. And I am confident that you will do your best. So first, this is Mr. Lee, you must have seen him around here. He is the COO of SM and is in charge for producing a new boy band for SM. You will be working with him from tomorrow onwards. You will assist him with regard to everything from scratch, regarding the band member contracts, production costs of albums, promotion costing, paying the various bills, contract analysis of the tie-ups with the band, collecting the pay checks that the band gets from different cf & advertisement, every money matter regarding the new band. That also includes keeping a track of the daily expenses and financial necessities of the boys.”

I am flustered with all the information. “But Sir..” I am cut before I can say something.

“Mia!! Don’t worry. You will be great. You will learn a lot.”

“If you say so. I will put my best and won’t disappoint you.”, I say putting in a little confidence.

“So Mia, tomorrow the entire team will be meeting and getting together to learn more about the boys and how we intend to introduce this new band to the world. We will begin the entire process from tomorrow. I will ask my secretary to email you all the necessary details. Before that just fill these forms so that we can grant you access in SM building, since we will be mostly working at SM building. You can hand over these forms to my secretary outside. I wish you good luck and will see you tomorrow.”, Mr Lee tells.

“Thank you Sir. I will be there tomorrow.” 

I am very confused, but for now I take the forms, bow and excuse myself out.

I sit outside Mr. Lee’s cabin and still confused thinking about what they were saying. I started filling the forms and handed over them to Mr.Lee’s secretary. She gave me a ID and said that it was a temporary access to SM building and that I will not need the ID once the Biometric access will be given. I thank her and walk towards my desk.

As I walk to the bus stand, I keep comforting myself that it is a great offer and that I will get to experience so many things. But there is this fear that keeps lingering in the back of my mind. But, I am not sure what exactly I did fear. 

---x---o---x---o---